Finally get to be a Cunarder!

kshannon5

I am thrilled to say that my husband and I have finally booked our TA! We'll be on the January 3rd Eastbound, which I believe is the start of the World Cruise. It simply worked better for our schedules.

We absolutely cannot wait! Thank you to all who gave insight and help. I hope my further questions don't get too intrusive. 😉

We have a sheltered balcony on Deck 6, good position midships, with nothing across the hall.

Now to plan 9 days and 8 nights of outfits, hotels and deciding on a drinks package. Oh, and perhaps practicing our rusty ballroom dance moves!

Edited by kshannon5
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• kshannon5 changed the title to Finally get to be a Cunarder!
3 hours ago, kshannon5 said:

I am thrilled to say that my husband and I have finally booked our TA! We'll be on the January 3rd Eastbound, which I believe is the start of the World Cruise. It simply worked better for our schedules.

We absolutely cannot wait! Thank you to all who gave insight and help. I hope my further questions don't get too intrusive. 😉

We have a sheltered balcony on Deck 6, good position midships, with nothing across the hall.

Now to plan 9 days and 8 nights of outfits, hotels and deciding on a drinks package. Oh, and perhaps practicing our rusty ballroom dance moves!

I would  seriously look very carefully at the drinks packages. Remember both of you must purchase the same package and that is a lot of hefty adult beverage lifting for a 7 day journey. As first timers you may find yourselves so busy exploring and attending various lectures, concerts etc, that you will not have the time to imbibe that much.

9 hours ago, kshannon5 said:

Welcome to Cunard……….

A Crossing Voyage

As it appears one is “Old School” with intention is to dress to impress nightly.  That will leave one’s husband to decide if he will also go “Old School” with a Tux/Suit on every night, except first and last.

All questions will be welcomed, with good advice given.

Enjoy

• Like 1

Congratulations on your booking, we've only done 1 crossing and it was the equivalent in early January from New York. As well as being the start of the World Cruise for some, it's the return journey of Christmas in the Caribbean for others.

In 2010 there was snow on both sides of the Atlantic but we got some use out of balcony.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

I would  seriously look very carefully at the drinks packages. Remember both of you must purchase the same package and that is a lot of hefty adult beverage lifting for a 7 day journey. As first timers you may find yourselves so busy exploring and attending various lectures, concerts etc, that you will not have the time to imbibe that much.

We have decided against the drinks package for our 7 day trip to the Fjords on QV, we have 4 port days and do not think we would possibly spend $966 dollars that the package costs on drinks of all sorts in 7 days. On a land vacation our drinks bill for the two of us is usually around the $399 mark and after perusing the drinks price lists for Cunard we figured to pay as we go. HTH

• Like 1

Top tips:

Not to be missed experiences for the first time cruiser.

The (2 share) Seafood Platter in the Verandah

Wagyu Beef in the Verandah

The Special Cunard Seafood Pasta Dish (forgot the actual name) in the Lido Alternative on the La Piazza nights (hidden away at bottom of Menu - Cooked and Flambé table side by HW). 

Evening Cocktails in the Commodore Club

Working with one’s Sommelier over Dinner, especially with Bin Ends (excellent wines at excellent prices)

Hotel close to Cruise Terminal 

Southampton Harbour Hotel - Would suggest an early booking as this is the most popular hotel for overseas cruisers taking a WC

Drinks/Alcohol 

No restrictions on the amount one can bring onboard on embarkation 

Some Off Licences (Liquor Stores) in Southampton can deliver online purchases

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Hotel

11 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

Yes, thank you. I have been doing some research on that. I've done some mental math on lattes, sodas, lunch beers, pre-dinner cocktails, and so on, and think it makes sense for us. (I've looked at prices too.) Honestly since the package includes gratuity it makes it a pretty easy choice in our case. Not for everyone I know, but for us it is good. 🙂

5 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Welcome to Cunard……….

A Crossing Voyage

As it appears one is “Old School” with intention is to dress to impress nightly.  That will leave one’s husband to decide if he will also go “Old School” with a Tux/Suit on every night, except first and last.

Enjoy

Thank you so much! Yes, I am old-school and believe dressing up is part of the point of the QM2.

Luckily my husband already owns a tux, so now I'm just buying a couple of fun bow ties to match the themes.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kshannon5 said:

Not for everyone I know, but for us it is good. 🙂

You are exactly right. A lot of us just think in terms of the alcohol beverages but if you enjoy the specialty coffee's, hot chocolate and soda, that adds a whole other dynamic to the equation.

When you look back on this voyage I think you will find that it began not on Jan 3rd but on the day you made your booking. We so enjoy the prep and planning, the anticipation and excitement that happens between the booking date and the sailing date. 

Congratulations and well done kshannon5

Jack

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Jack E Dawson said:

You are exactly right. A lot of us just think in terms of the alcohol beverages but if you enjoy the specialty coffee's, hot chocolate and soda, that adds a whole other dynamic to the equation.

When you look back on this voyage I think you will find that it began not on Jan 3rd but on the day you made your booking. We so enjoy the prep and planning, the anticipation and excitement that happens between the booking date and the sailing date. 

Jack

Thank you! And you are so right, even getting to this point has been fun.

4 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Top tips:

The Special Cunard Seafood Pasta Dish (forgot the actual name) in the Lido Alternative on the La Piazza nights (hidden away at bottom of Menu - Cooked and Flambé table side by HW). 

Working with one’s Sommelier over Dinner, especially with Bin Ends (excellent wines at excellent prices)

Southampton Harbour Hotel - Would suggest an early booking as this is the most popular hotel for overseas cruisers taking a WC

Drinks/Alcohol 

Great tips, especially the Wagyu in the Verandah and working with one's sommelier!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Welcome to Cunard……….

A Crossing Voyage

Enjoy

I know that (first & last) is accepted practice, but it isn't that difficult to dress up every night if one wants.  Our carry-ons would have given us enough for the first week. If we'd only catered for the first night we could have got away with a very small bag.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, D&N said:

I know that (first & last) is accepted practice, but it isn't that difficult to dress up every night if one wants.

How true…… If one wishes to Tux/Suit every night, go for it, then one could actually start a new code.  
But one has Tuxes pressed before wearing, so I’ll now also consider the last night Tux

Never crossed one’s mind

Thank you…. 

• Like 1

Now I didn't actually suggest a Tux .....

But we picked first & last night dresses for Nora made of fabrics that can be thrown in a bag and emerge crease free, to avoid any need for pressing.

I have a dark lightweight wool suit that doesn't crease much, and in fact I carried it from home and wore it briefly in the cooler climes of Southampton.

But I suppose on the basis that a creased Tux could be pressed on return home, there's no reason why not!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Top tips:

Drinks/Alcohol 

All excellent suggestions, with the exception that we leave from NYC. We are planning an evening at the Veranda at least, so will keep those items in mind.

Another suggestion.  
If one likes the Cunard product experience, Americans and Canadians have the facility to purchase FCD while on Cunard.  The FCD OBC benefits in addition to the Cunard Fare OBC makes a FCD a no brainer.  What one pays for the FCD becomes a deposit/contribution.  No loss of spend

FCD benefits are per person, not per stateroom.

FCD Benefits

6-9 nights Grill Accommodation$200 USD

6-9 nights Balcony Accommodation$150 USD

6-9 nights Inside/ Outside Accommodation$100 USD

10 nights or more Grill Accommodation$400 USD

10 nights or more Balcony Accommodation$300 USD

10 nights or more Inside/Outside Accommodation$200 USD

FCD are purchased from the Voyage Sales Office, payment by Credit or Debit Card only.

Also, as the Carnival share price is very low, it could be beneficial to buy 100 shares for even more OBC (consider this being part of one’s pension pot).  

Onboard credit per stateroom on sailings of 14 days or longer $250

Onboard credit per stateroom on sailings of 7 to 13 days $100
Onboard credit per stateroom on sailings of 6 days or less $50

Because at today’s share price it will not take that many voyages for a total ROI

No doubt other CC members will deliver even more hints and tips.

Enjoy….

Edited by PORT ROYAL
fcd
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Another suggestion.  
If one likes the Cunard product experience, Americans and Canadians have the facility to purchase FCD while on Cunard.  The FCD OBC benefits in addition to the Cunard Fare OBC makes a FCD a no brainer.  What one pays for the FCD becomes a deposit/contribution.  No loss of spend

FCD benefits are per person, not per stateroom.

FCD Benefits

6-9 nights Grill Accommodation$200 USD

6-9 nights Balcony Accommodation$150 USD

6-9 nights Inside/ Outside Accommodation$100 USD

10 nights or more Grill Accommodation$400 USD

10 nights or more Balcony Accommodation$300 USD

10 nights or more Inside/Outside Accommodation$200 USD

FCD are purchased from the Voyage Sales Office, payment by Credit or Debit Card only.

Also, as the Carnival share price is very low, it could be beneficial to buy 100 shares for even more OBC (consider this being part of one’s pension pot).  

Onboard credit per stateroom on sailings of 14 days or longer $250

Onboard credit per stateroom on sailings of 7 to 13 days $100
Onboard credit per stateroom on sailings of 6 days or less $50

Because at today’s share price it will not take that many voyages for a total ROI

No doubt other CC members will deliver even more hints and tips.

Enjoy….

And don’t overlook the Military OBC if either of you qualify 😀

With all the OBC’s available we end up with quite a bit of spending money onboard . All stackable 😀

FCD

Shareholder

Military

Cunard promo

Group Amenity from TA

TA Gift 

Edited by MCC retired
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, alibabacruisers said:

I can't seem to find it at the moment; does anyone have the email address to send the Military OBC request?

Thanks in advance!

Think one calls Cunard to place on record after one gives the evidence confirmation as to entitlement.

If this is incorrect, then CC will correct.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/25/2022 at 5:38 PM, Jack E Dawson said:

Jack

Agreed - planning is all part of the fun.

Also agreed re soft drinks, speciality coffees, mocktails etc - they can really add up, so they certainly contribute to the overall value of the alcohol package.

I think everyone needs to work out what is "value" for them personally and where the break-even point is.

You also need to remember that there is a 15 alcoholic drink limit per 24 hr period - so it's not unlimited like other lines.

My wife and I are doing the 16 night pacific crossing in May 23. This will be our first Cunard cruise, having gravitated here from Crystal.

The drinks package would be perfect for me but my wife hardly drinks - maybe 1 cocktail and/or a glass of wine, no speciality coffees, no soft drinks bar water. So unless I'm up for drinking about 11 cocktails a day (!!!!) it's pay as you go for us.
Is there no way that they'll let you have 2 different packages if you ring up and ask?

We're going on a quick 4-nighter on RCL in a couple of weeks - cheap and cheerful. They have the same beverage package policy, but I rang up customer services and there was no problem organising 1 alcohol package and 1 refreshment package.

Is that possible with Cunard ?

• Like 1

Hello @kshannon5

Welcome aboard!

Some good comments on here!

May I respectfully add….

* on leaving NYC get up on the top deck to sail under the bridge.  Get just in front of the funnel.  
* get involved with thing! Dance classes, pub quiz, lectures, join the choir if they run one! Ideal way to make new friends!

* Dress up! It’s fun and you feel good! A proper self tie bow tie will add to the feel good factor, plus it’ll be noted by others! They’re NOT diffy to tie! Check YouTube! I wear a bow tie with a jacket irrespective of the dumbed down dress code!

* tipping I’ll stay well clear of, but what staff do appreciate is a handwritten note (on paper in your cabin) thanking them for their hard work etc.  It goes on their record and the supervision appreciated them too. 
*. Don’t do too much research!! It’s an unknown so don’t spoil the excitement! On some FB pages people want to see pictures of their cabin, menus, wine lists, toiletries, and ask silly questions about the weather, temperatures, is the sea rough, is the sea wet, type of teas that are served etc 🙄 All pointless. 

You’ll have a fab time! 

• Like 3