Do you have breakfast at the restaurant or windjammer

7 minutes ago, zimmerman said:

can anybody grab breakfast in Chops or is it for suite people?

only cruised once and used windjammer for breakfast everyday; must have escaped us that we could use MDR (although our then 7yo was probably easier to cater for in the Windjmammer).

Full Suites and Pinnacle only. Sometines it's in Giovanni's 

We usually mix it up with MDR and windjammer . We like both .

We didnt usually have trouble getting a table around 830 on Oasis class.

We get CK next so it will be different . Looking forward to it .

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Coastal Kitchen is good option for Suite guests on Quantum and Oasis class ships (not sure if Coastal Kitchen is on other class ships).  I still prefer a full buffet though for breakfast.  

CK is only on Oasis/Quantum.  We've yet to sail on any ship larger than Freedom class.  I'm not sure we will, either.  I am looking at some options for Alaska next year which could be on Quantum or Ovation, but I'm also looking at <gulp> jumping ship to Celebrity for that one. 

5 hours ago, JOHN 57 said:

we are sailing 15 August aboard Grandeur of the Seas.  I was wondering where you have breakfast.  I have breakfast in the restaurant and prefer looking out the window at the open sea.  Restaurant opens 0730 and my wife gets up later, but I go for breakfast.  On the first day hoping for eggs benedict, lots of bacon, fruit, tomato juice, grits, and coffee.  Where would you dine for breakfast.

There was a time when I cruised almost exclusively on the Grandeur.I loved that ship.I never ate a meal in any place other than the MDR.

23 minutes ago, sunlover2 said:

We are booked in a junior suite...does that count?

I don't believe so.  I think the only "suite" benefits for a JS are priority boarding and an extra C&A point.

3 minutes ago, J0Y0US said:

MDR and its not close. You want a bunch of bacon? Just ask for it.

But getting bacon from the buffet means being able to pick out pieces cooked exactly to my liking, and avoiding the server's surprised looked I get when I ask for 12 pieces! 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, fsufancc said:

Voyager OTS to NE/Canada - Oct 23, 2022 (Just me and Mrs Fan)

Quantum OTS to Alaska - June 12, 2023 (Our 3 grown kids and spouses)

I'll give you a wave as we disembark on 10/23!  Enjoy the cruise and your time in Boston!

As far as the breakfast thing, I'm surprised no one has commented this.

Both DW and I are early risers.  I hate the MDR, she hates the buffet.  Therefore, we do both!

Early trip to WJ.  As we're early risers, we usually beat the crowd.  Usually a fairly light meal of coffee, fruit, maybe a bagel & lox for me or some eggs of some sort if they look good.Then an hour or so later after a walk around, it's off the MDR for breakfast #2

11 minutes ago, rudeney said:

But getting bacon from the buffet means being able to pick out pieces cooked exactly to my liking, and avoiding the server's surprised looked I get when I ask for 12 pieces! 😜

With me standing behind you rolling my eyes waiting for you to finishing picking over the whole 10 lb pile so I can just take it all 😉

i kid....i kid......

Edited by dodgestang
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I am usually up around7:30am or  8am so I prefer to go to WJ.  I usually get a window seat.  It's not crowded at that time.  The closer you to get to 9 it gets more busy. 

1 hour ago, rudeney said:

CK is only on Oasis/Quantum.  We've yet to sail on any ship larger than Freedom class.  I'm not sure we will, either.  I am looking at some options for Alaska next year which could be on Quantum or Ovation, but I'm also looking at <gulp> jumping ship to Celebrity for that one. 

Well, I won't say that the Coastal Kitchen is a good reason, alone, to try a Quantum or Oasis Class ship.  But, I do think everyone should at least try one, especially the Oasis Class ships.  My opinion - Size means a lot when it comes to cruising.  Much more options for just about everything.

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, JOHN 57 said:

we are sailing 15 August aboard Grandeur of the Seas.  I was wondering where you have breakfast.  I have breakfast in the restaurant and prefer looking out the window at the open sea.  Restaurant opens 0730 and my wife gets up later, but I go for breakfast.  On the first day hoping for eggs benedict, lots of bacon, fruit, tomato juice, grits, and coffee.  Where would you dine for breakfast.

never anywhere by WJ.  Breakfast is breakfast, we could care less. I eat fruit and maybe an English muffin.  Husband has some eggs or something.  In/out within 20-25 minutes.  Have no desire to sit through an hour or more to have breakfast

22 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Well, I won't say that the Coastal Kitchen is a good reason, alone, to try a Quantum or Oasis Class ship.  But, I do think everyone should at least try one, especially the Oasis Class ships.  My opinion - Size means a lot when it comes to cruising.  Much more options for just about everything.

Agreed , once we sailed Oasis class we stuck with it ( except for one cruise on the Anthem to see if we would like it also - nope   ) .

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, loman said:

Agreed , once we sailed Oasis class we stuck with it ( except for one cruise on the Anthem to see if we would like it also - nope   ) .

We did that Anthem to Bermuda once.  It was a great cruise.  We love the 270 and the Music Hall.  We also really enjoyed the Tribute Band for U2.  They were great.  I really never appreciated U2 until we listened to the Tribute Band.  But, I digress.  I think the main reason why we like the Anthem so much was because of the 270, Music Hall, Tribute Band, touring Boston, and Bermuda.  Really didn't pay much attention to anything else.  That was our first cruise on a Quantum ship.

We did Ovation last May and it was Okay.  But, to be honest, I believe most of the issues were because of the lack of sufficient crew onboard.  It was her 2nd revenue cruise of the season, post-COVID.

Edited by Ret MP

37 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

We did that Anthem to Bermuda once.  It was a great cruise.  We love the 270 and the Music Hall.  We also really enjoyed the Tribute Band for U2.  They were great.  I really never appreciated U2 until we listened to the Tribute Band.  But, I digress.  I think the main reason why we like the Anthem so much was because of the 270, Music Hall, Tribute Band, touring Boston, and Bermuda.  Really didn't pay much attention to anything else.  That was our first cruise on a Quantum ship.

We did Ovation last May and it was Okay.  But, to be honest, I believe most of the issues were because of the lack of sufficient crew onboard.  It was her 2nd revenue cruise of the season, post-COVID.

Didnt like the trip from the airport to Bayonne , and the choppy Atlantic.

Developed a hate for Journey music courtesy of the tribute band.

Didnt care for the layout of the ship .

Hence , we stick with oasis class out of Florida now 🙂

• Like 1

I'm a late riser so MDR is pretty much out for me. And WJ is usually less crowded later. On Anthem half of the time I would just grab an "Egg McMuffin" type sandwich and fruit cup from Cafe 270. Nice and quiet and no crowd at all. Solarium Bistro was another quiet option. 

20 minutes ago, loman said:

We drove up from Alabama

That's too bad.  I guess we got lucky with that U2 band, I guess.

You gotta do you!  Good choice though!

3 hours ago, rudeney said:

I think they're used to it.  

I was watching a cruise-You Tube the other day -- and the family (kids included) each ordered two full entrees + extra breakfast meats + doughnuts for breakfast.  I was kinda shocked.  It was a cruise-themed travel agent promoting a ship, so maybe they were stretching what they usually eat -- but somehow I don't think so.  

1 hour ago, karena1 said:

never anywhere by WJ.  Breakfast is breakfast, we could care less. I eat fruit and maybe an English muffin.  Husband has some eggs or something.  In/out within 20-25 minutes.  Have no desire to sit through an hour or more to have breakfast

Yes, that's another reason I like the Windjammer:  I don't often want to sit with a bunch of other people and make small talk for an hour at breakfast.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JOHN 57 said:

DW has allergies, we almost always opt for MDR.  They make sure there’s no cross contamination. As well, we enjoy a window looking at the sea. 

49 minutes ago, loman said:

Odyssey may be our favorite now

26 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

DW has allergies, we almost always opt for MDR.  They make sure there’s no cross contamination. As well, we enjoy a window looking at the sea. 

Now, I'm not saying that this happens(ed) to you guys.  It just reminds me of our last cruise on the Ovation.  One morning we went to the Coastal Kitchen for breakfast, and this is not a complaint, but I told the server that I wanted a lot of bacon and sausage.  She brough my meal with 3 slices of bacon and 2 links of sausage.  I, nicely, told the server that I wanted a lot of bacon and sausage, that was the standard amount, not "a lot".  She excused herself and went right into the Windjammer and got a whole plate of sausage and a whole plate of bacon.  I loved it!  On Ovation there is a door that goes directly from the Coastal Kitchen into the Windjammer, which she used, didn't even try to cover it up.  It made me wonder, (just because I'm the curious type personality type) if that is common practice. If breakfast food served in the Coastal Kitchen actually comes from the Windjammer.  Well, except for the "made to order" items.  I don't know and I don't care, it was good.  Just funny to me. 

Edited by Ret MP

2 hours ago, Ret MP said:

There was another band called Rock the Boat ... they were great , played old 60`s and 70`s rock music , Good variety and a change up from that high pitched Journey stuff .

And ... Roll Tide !  😃

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, loman said:

There was another band called Rock the Boat ... they were great , played old 60`s and 70`s rock music , Good variety and a change up from that high pitched Journey stuff .

And ... Roll Tide !  😃

From the age of about 8 to about 15 I would spend my summers in Stouffville and Richmond Hill.  I'm originally from Montreal 🤫.  My dad was a golf pro there, Montreal.  He started out in Toronto though, The Toronto Hunt Club.