When did the gratituites increase?

9 hours ago, Project-College said:

I do THANK those veteran cruisers who suggested I prepay the Gratuities!

I don't need any other 'surprises' hitting me once I sail in August!

Don't take this as a stupid question but.... for those that prepay, have GRATITIES ever gone down later?   (Think I know the answer but wanted to throw it out there just to see)

No, they never go down.  But we ALWAYS prepay them.  Makes it so much easier.

2 hours ago, the penguins said:

Just ask at Guest Relations and you can get a  breakdown on where the tips go. It is impossible for you to tip everyone who gives you a service individually. As other posters said your actions simple reduce the pay of other staff. If you don't like Royals auto tipping you should perhaps consider a cruise line that has a different system. 

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

Really? You asked and they gave you a breakdown? Was it in writing? Do you mind sharing?

No, you will not get an accurate distribution list. 
It is far from transparent, and you really have no idea where the money goes. 

3 hours ago, CruisingHogFan said:

So you are going to punish the hardworking crew that makes your cruise enjoyable for a change they had nothing to do with??

That is really bad form and I would be embarrassed……

Totally agree.  I would NEVER remove the prepaid tips.  We tip extra to those we want, but the prepaid tips goes to so many people behind the front lines that you never see.  It is part of the cruise.  

• Like 8

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

Really? You asked and they gave you a breakdown? Was it in writing? Do you mind sharing?

As you can see the details have already been posted.

Guest Relations onboard will provide a printed copy. The cruise line makes no deductions or charges, the entire sum goes to the crew. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Not punishing the crew, they are still going to tip, just doing it their preferred way.

Yes they are punishing all the crew you never SEE that work so hard to make your vacation special.

3 hours ago, RoyalC said:

I've found the crew is VERY happy to get a tip in cash at the end of the cruise.

We always tip EXTRA at the end of the cruise, but would never in 10,000 years punish the crew that works so hard - those you see and those you don't - by removing auto tips.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, karena1 said:

Totally agree.  I would NEVER remove the prepaid tips.  We tip extra to those we want, but the prepaid tips goes to so many people behind the front lines that you never see.  It is part of the cruise.  

7 minutes ago, the penguins said:

As you can see the details have already been posted.

Guest Relations onboard will provide a printed copy. The cruise line makes no deductions or charges, the entire sum goes to the crew. 

You don’t know that. All the workers, including the mysterious “behind the scenes”, have their salary guaranteed, exclusive of gratuity. 
No one can prove the dishwashers or laundry staff get a gratuity bonus. 

Because of the lack of transparency, I, and many others choose not to participate. 

No harm, no foul. Everyone should do what makes them comfortable, but your decisions should be fact based and not

due to internet rumor. 

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, not-enough-cruising said:

You don’t know that. All the workers, including the mysterious “behind the scenes”, have their salary guaranteed, exclusive of gratuity. 
No one can prove the dishwashers or laundry staff get a gratuity bonus. 

Because of the lack of transparency, I, and many others choose not to participate. 

No harm, no foul. Everyone should do what makes them comfortable, but your decisions should be fact based and not

due to internet rumor. 

It is based on fact, we have taken a boatload of cruises and now those Autotips go to many staff you never see.

16 minutes ago, karena1 said:

Yeah, not sure where he is coming from.  Every cruise I booked in the last month says $14.50

SURPRISE! The increase to $16 per day is only noted in the cruise docs that are being sent now. The official website still has $14.50 a day posted in their Q&A.  Want proof? eDocs sent today:

Gratuities A $16.00 per guest, per day gratuity will automatically be added to each guest’s SeaPass® account for our dining, bar & culinary services staff, stateroom attendants and other hotel services teams who work behind the scenes to give you the best possible cruise experience. Suite guests will see a $18.50 daily gratuity.

Edited by footzz

1 minute ago, karena1 said:

It is based on fact, we have taken a boatload of cruises and now those Autotips go to many staff you never see.

Yes it is a fact you have taken many cruises; so have I. That is where your facts end, and your personal opinion creates bias. 

The crews contract guarantees the salary, that’s a fact.

Whether or not you participate in the auto tip a no bearing on this salary, that’s a fact. 

The cruise-line won’t tell you the amount that is shared (or if it is shared) with these positions , that’s a fact. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, footzz said:

SURPRISE! The increase to $16 per day is only noted in the cruise docs that are being sent now. The official website still has $14.50 a day posted in their Q&A.  Want proof? eDocs sent today:

Gratuities A $16.00 per guest, per day gratuity will automatically be added to each guest’s SeaPass® account for our dining, bar & culinary services staff, stateroom attendants and other hotel services teams who work behind the scenes to give you the best possible cruise experience. Suite guests will see a $18.50 daily gratuity.

nope, not an issue.  I have mine booked through April 2024 with the old rate.  When it is increased, I will pay for it.

We just go along with the flow, and leave the DSC on.  I don’t understand, aren’t some of the same people who seem to get offended by others reducing the DSC, doing the same thing by prepaying? What happens if your steward just happens to have to work in an area where people prepaid a long  time ago? He gets less pay than someone working in cabins that people did not prepay?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ALKID said:

What happens if your steward just happens to have to work in an area where people prepaid a long  time ago? He gets less pay than someone working in cabins that people did not prepay?

Hmm ... I wonder if they (the crew) are out of luck or if RCI will make up the difference?

Must be a nightmare to figure out how much an individual steward gets.  First, they would have to figure out what cabins they serviced, then how many passengers were in each cabin, to determine how much money they are entitled to.  Then they have to deduct for the people that removed the charges and now deduct even more from people that paid early.  Not too hard when you have to figure it out for a few people, but the entire crew?  Yikes! And then, how do they show the math to the employees so they can check to see if there is a mistake?  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ALKID said:

Must be a nightmare to figure out how much an individual steward gets.  First, they would have to figure out what cabins they serviced, then how many passengers were in each cabin, to determine how much money they are entitled to.  Then they have to deduct for the people that removed the charges and now deduct even more from people that paid early.  Not too hard when you have to figure it out for a few people, but the entire crew?  Yikes! And then, how do they show the math to the employees so they can check to see if there is a mistake?  

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Gratuities A $14.50 per guest, per day gratuity will be automatically added to each guest’s SeaPass® account on a daily basis to be shared among dining, bar & culinary services staff, stateroom attendants and other hotel services teams who Things To Know 10 July 7, 2022 6:40 AM Things To Know Continued work behind the scenes to enhance the cruise experience. Suite guests will see a $17.50 daily gratuity.

This is from our edocs for an August 6 sail date. 

5 minutes ago, Jkaczanowski said:

edocs dated 7/22 for 8/21 sailing still reference the $14.50/17.50 amounts so it must have just changed.

I'm doing B2B. August 21 has the $14.50; August 28 has the $16.00

Good catch by the OP, since I hadn't read that deep into the documents that were released today!

• Like 1

8/28 sailing here and edocs $16.00/18.50. Never would of thought sailing date makes a difference,  just the date you booked on. Hope a staff member here from CC with connections to corporate at Royal posts a news blurb to clarify what the real deal is... Makes sense that those of us just receiving edocs for late August are discovering this 'surprise'. Does not explain why my most recent invoice I requested today still shows $14.50/$17.50 and website still shows the lower amount.

Edited by coaster

9 minutes ago, Jkaczanowski said:

edocs dated 7/22 for 8/21 sailing still reference the $14.50/17.50 amounts so it must have just changed.

I booked a cruise on Wednesday and the confirmation still says $14.50/17.50. But the edocs that were issued yesterday say $16.00/18.00. I'm waiting on hold for the group department to see what they have to say.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, critterchick said:

I booked a cruise on Wednesday and the confirmation still says $14.50/17.50. But the edocs that were issued yesterday say $16.00/18.00. I'm waiting on hold for the group department to see what they have to say.

Let us know and good luck!