When did the gratituites increase?

Getting the runaround also. Called and the rep didn't know about the process where you have to call to get the lower service fee rate. Rep kept trying to tie it to a reduction in cabin price and this is something different. Poor communication on Royal's behalf to those of us with future bookings and not relaying details of this to their call center reps.

Edited by coaster

10 minutes ago, gavvy said:

This is the thing...and my point, nobody knows what happens to the pool of 'tips' I doubt..but have no proof that 100% of your money goes to those that provide service.  I have always accepted the auto tip in the past, but now I think I will tip those that provide me with that frontline service

I've always wondered how the gratuity gets distributed.  Who decides what and how much goes to whom?  Are some tipped more than others?  Do the room steward and waiters know you've asked to remove gratuities and want pay cash tips?  Some many questions.....so little answers.... I always like to give cash tips to those that have provided great direct service but now that someone mentioned those behind the scenes....do the laundry people and engine room people get tips too?  Or does it all go to RCI?

Further update.  No one at C&A has any knowledge of a new increase.  Royal's page still has the old rates.  She is putting a note in our reservation.   Her supervisor,  also in the dark, is trying to figure how to get new edocs issued.  Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

Just now, njkruzer said:

Further update.  No one at C&A has any knowledge of a new increase.  Royal's page still has the old rates.  She is putting a note in our reservation.   Her supervisor,  also in the dark, is trying to figure how to get new edocs issued.  Hope this helps. 

I probably need to call back and have them note on my reservation that I attempted to call. I got frustrated and ended the call before doing all that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, coaster said:

I probably need to call back and have them note on my reservation that I attempted to call. I got frustrated and ended the call before doing all that.

I went through c&a.  Spoke with Laurie.  She spoke with a supervisor.   Was on hold for quite a while but worth it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

I have prepaid a number of gratuities for clients this morning.  The system is automatically set so that the old gratuity rates remain populated in bookings made prior to the cut off date.  Bookings made after that date have the new gratuity rates loaded.

You don't even need to tell the rep you want tp prepay at the old rate...it will automatically come up

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

I have prepaid a number of gratuities for clients this morning.  The system is automatically set so that the old gratuity rates remain populated in bookings made prior to the cut off date.  Bookings made after that date have the new gratuity rates loaded.

You don't even need to tell the rep you want tp prepay at the old rate...it will automatically come up

Ok.... thanks for the background info. Just call and prepay and don't mention locking in old rate. Will try that route.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gavvy said:

And shame on you for accepting this... if you ordered a coke at $1 only to be told sorry its not $1.50 you be happy, I know I wont.

I pay the price given not a price changed in the small print- with absolute no idea where that money ends up- nobody on here for sure can state where all that tip money goes

I'd rather tip those that provide service....Isn't that what the defination of a tip is???

Just ask at Guest Relations and you can get a  breakdown on where the tips go. It is impossible for you to tip everyone who gives you a service individually. As other posters said your actions simple reduce the pay of other staff. If you don't like Royals auto tipping you should perhaps consider a cruise line that has a different system. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, the penguins said:

Just ask at Guest Relations and you can get a  breakdown on where the tips go. It is impossible for you to tip everyone who gives you a service individually. As other posters said your actions simple reduce the pay of other staff. If you don't like Royals auto tipping you should perhaps consider a cruise line that has a different system. 

Really? You asked and they gave you a breakdown? Was it in writing? Do you mind sharing?

Ken - will my booked cruises keep the old rate if even  if don't  prepay gratuities?   I don't like to prepay gratuities as I usually have OBC to apply against the gratuities.   Or, will the rate go into effect for non-prepaid as per the sail date, not booking date? 

Thank you

M

9 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Ken - will my booked cruises keep the old rate if even  if don't  prepay gratuities?   I don't like to prepay gratuities as I usually have OBC to apply against the gratuities.   Or, will the rate go into effect for non-prepaid as per the sail date, not booking date? 

Thank you

M

No, in order to get the old rates you have to prepay them

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, karl_nj said:

Interesting.  My edocs for my upcoming cruise still say the old rate:

image.png.d314b9950a47af88dfaa69a1d5d8adf0.png

I wonder what I'll get charged onboard.

As I indicated above you should only be charged the old rate.  The C&A people have no knowledge of the "new" rates.

1 minute ago, karl_nj said:

Interesting.  My edocs for my upcoming cruise still say the old rate:

image.png.d314b9950a47af88dfaa69a1d5d8adf0.png

I wonder what I'll get charged onboard.

The change happened  only a couple of days ago and it may take some time for edocs to update with the new rate. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gavvy said:

As I had no notification of this I will remove all tips on my account and give the reason that RC increased them without my knowldge, I will then tip just the people who I have deemed given good service.

Im not against a tip increase, I am against it being shown in the small print of a 20 word document 4 weeks before departure, that is really bad form.

Tempting...

I just called to get the newest version of my invoice. The rep had not heard of any service fee increase. The invoice right below shows the lower rate and my edocs below that show the higher amount.

image.thumb.png.db5f99fc5da9339e71b2447d686b3349.png 

image.png.26f2bd747099488220db25e72e101d34.png

Edited by coaster

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

A few years ago someone posted an estimated breakdown of the total grats. 

Yup, but years ago when I started Cruising Royal listed it at $1.25 for Waiter and $1.25 for Room attendant .75 for Asst Waiter. This all USD and Per Passenger, Per Day. 

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

A few years ago someone posted an estimated breakdown of the total grats. 

Please see the breakdown for the gratuities collected below on a per day basis.

Stateroom Attendant: $3.55 Previously $3.45

Dining Room: $6.25 Previously $6.10

Other Hotel Services: $4.70 Previously $3.95

Total Standard Staterooms: $14.50 Previously $13.50

Stateroom Attendant: $6.20 Previously $6.10

Dining Room: $6.25 Previously $6.10

Other Hotel Services: $5.05 Previously $5.05

Total for Suites: $17.50 Previously $16.50

• Like 1

Is anyone really that surprised at the un-announced gratuity rate hike? This is SOP for RCCL. They know a lot of their PAX will just pay it and move on. They also expect blow back and CSR will adjust the rate before or during the cruise, but they wont make it easy.  Another fuster cluck brought to you by the fine people at RCCL.

Edited by footzz
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, boscobeans said:

Considering the increases we are faced with just buying a week's worth of groceries or 5 gallons of gas to mow our lawns this $1.50 a day seems almost inconsequential.

They are at least grandfathering the earlier rates for bookings made before July 15, 2022..

I agree, mine are prepaid through 4/2024 so won't have to worry about the increase until then.

9 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

In FAQ , The automatic service gratuity is $14.50 USD per person, per day for guests in Junior Suites and below, or $17.50 USD per person, per day for guests in Grand Suites 

Yeah, not sure where he is coming from.  Every cruise I booked in the last month says $14.50