Silver Muse and Silver Shadow September Routes

christraveller

The Silver Muse and Silver Shadow will not reposition from the summer in Alaska to early Autumn in and around Japan. 
Japan remains essentially closed to cruise lines, their crew, and their passengers due to Covid-19.

once the ships end their Alaska runs, where will they go?  

7 hours ago, ClefsDor said:

I was just told by my TA that the Muse… will be going into dry dock instead.

Interesting. Wonder what is planned.

I’d love to see a redesign of the cavernous Dolce Vita in order to bring S.A.L.T. to the Muse, as well as an expansion of the Arts Cafe.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ClefsDor said:

I think dry dock will be just a means of parking the ship somewhere rather than doing any major refits or renovations. 

Perhaps more of a "wet dock", where some work may be done, but without the expense and logistics of using a dry dock.

4 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Perhaps more of a "wet dock", where some work may be done, but without the expense and logistics of using a dry dock.

Yes, that makes much more sense. Not to mention it would be impossible to schedule any last minute major works in dry dock especially given the logistical nightmare of current day supply chain issues.

5 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

No, I'd guess it's probably a dry dock. I believe every cruise ship is required to go into dry dock once every three years for inspection (and sometimes cleaning) of the hull, propellers and thrusters. So if they can take care of this requirement during the lull created by the Japan situation, then they don't need to do so again for several years. Such dry docks take only a few days, so finding a facility capable of doing it may not be impossible.

• 1 month later...

Still no “official” word on Silver Muse and Silver Shadow. 

Shadow left Vancouver 8 Sept. was in Kodiak 12 Sept. now destination Busan, South Korea. 

Muse is in the North Pacific on the way to Busan, too.

AFAIK, deadheading with no passengers. 

a curious commercial decision…

I returned home from the Muse on Sept 1st and was told she was sailing with 25% of crew to Singapore. Nobody mentioned to me about any dry dock work. I was told she would be doing some restocking and would be doing some cruises and then would be going to Australia. Her last Alaska sailing ended last week on Sept 8th.

On 8/5/2022 at 12:13 AM, cruiseej said:

No, I'd guess it's probably a dry dock. I believe every cruise ship is required to go into dry dock once every three years for inspection (and sometimes cleaning) of the hull, propellers and thrusters. So if they can take care of this requirement during the lull created by the Japan situation, then they don't need to do so again for several years. Such dry docks take only a few days, so finding a facility capable of doing it may not be impossible.

The last time I was involved with a drydock the following were covered ..

Screenshot_20220915_123129_Samsung Internet.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2022 at 10:44 PM, DCCruiser57 said:

I suspect that both ships are headed to Busan so that the new Starlink terminals, for the high speed internet service, can be installed.  Muse resumes service Dec 2 whereas Shadow resumes January 9th for WC 2023.

Muse docked in Busan a couple of days ago but only stayed less than 24 hours. She is now headed down to Singapore. A staff contact on board said all they did was empty the rubbish! Shadow arrived a few hours ago and, at the time of writing is still docked there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On a side note, my TA asked her SS rep about the restaurant closures that were widely reported on the Muse during August/Sept (Atlantide closed for lunch and only very occasionally open for breakfast and Kaiseki closed every lunch time). SS said all restaurants would resume advertised opening hours from the restart in Singapore unless there is a large covid outbreak. I assume that there won't be one for a while as the ship should be covid free before any passengers board on Dec 2.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ClefsDor said:

On a side note, my TA asked her SS rep about the restaurant closures that were widely reported on the Muse during August/Sept (Atlantide closed for lunch and only very occasionally open for breakfast and Kaiseki closed every lunch time). SS said all restaurants would resume advertised opening hours from the restart in Singapore unless there is a large covid outbreak. I assume that there won't be one for a while as the ship should be covid free before any passengers board on Dec 2.

I must admit that the closures were becoming concerning. I chose the muse over a similar Whisper itinerary because Indochine is my Fav SS restaurant. Being shut wouldn't maybe be the end of the world and reluctantly I understand the logic if needs arise, but there is no getting away from the fact the new normal sucks and with so many stories of cruises not living up to expectations and not being enjoyable, you start to wonder if the gamble is worth it.

With the news Japan is now finally lifting all restrictions and visa requirements, I'm starting to think I might be 4th time lucky next April.... Even if Indochine is closed...... But I truly hope it isn't.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, turtlemichael said:

Muse docked in Busan a couple of days ago but only stayed less than 24 hours. She is now headed down to Singapore. A staff contact on board said all they did was empty the rubbish! Shadow arrived a few hours ago and, at the time of writing is still docked there.

And Shadow has now left Busan on the way to Singapore after a very brief stay. Curiouser and curiouser, as they say.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DCCruiser57 said:

Cruisemapper.com states the Muse is adrift awaiting orders and the Shadow is enroute to Singapore.  Hard to believe that SS has 2 ships that are not operational.

I agree. It's hard to understand the logic behind this decision. However if it means the Muse will be fully staffed, Covid free and spick and span for it's first cruise on December 2, which we will be on then I'm all for it 😃

13 hours ago, DCCruiser57 said:

Cruisemapper.com states the Muse is adrift awaiting orders and the Shadow is enroute to Singapore.  Hard to believe that SS has 2 ships that are not operational.

I understand Muse will be heading to Indonesia soon.