Perfect Day - Coco Cay Beaches - Disappointed

13 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

A lot more fish at that now then we saw it last.  I don't remember the cannons though.  The plane had a ton of fish in lots of varieties.  Too bad that is outside the boundaries now.

A staff member told my wife that the current was taking people into the rocks. I believe kayaks can still get there but same issue. I think my wife saw sting rays by the cannons last month.

36 minutes ago, geneparmesan said:

I'm going there for the first time as well next week. I have similar plans as you!

Maybe this thread is as good a place as any to ask - we are scheduled to be in port at 7am. What time would the pool start to get busy? Do I have to run out there at 7am if I want one of those water loungers?

You won't be able to actually disembark until 8am or so. The regular lounge chairs by the pool (which you likely want to put your stuff on) will start to be claimed early but you should still be able to find a spot to your liking as long as you don't wait too long.

Agree with the above comment about those in pool loungers. People won't sit there all day.

We also enjoy sitting in the shade on the underwater bench mentioned above. Last trip, a large iguana decided to pop out from the trees/bushes and make his way to the edge of the pool by one of the bench spots and hang out for over an hour.

• Like 1

Since this thread is spinning off into other questions, any comparison between Coco Cay and DCL’s Castaway Cay?   Specifically will the water at the beaches be as crystal clear at Coco Cay as it can be at Castaway?  Any other comparisons (don’t care about the water slides/kids activities). 

thanks!

1 minute ago, psac said:

Since this thread is spinning off into other questions, any comparison between Coco Cay and DCL’s Castaway Cay?   Specifically will the water at the beaches be as crystal clear at Coco Cay as it can be at Castaway?  Any other comparisons (don’t care about the water slides/kids activities). 

thanks!

We have found the water very clear but lots of sand can get kicked up closer to shore if the seas are rough.

• Like 2

It's perfect for everyone, if they take the time to research it by watching You Tube vids.

Here's some great ones.  If you don't walk around you won't see anything.  But watching the vids can help you eliminate what you may not like and help you choose just where to go.  There are coral outcrops on the East side of the island and you will be able to look directly at NCL's island right across the channel, Disney's island is only 15 miles to the north east so all the water is basically the same.  Critters, even octopii are all over the rocks in both Chill Island area and the snorkeling bay.  South side by the overwater cabanas is clear and that's where the little sharks hang out.  Lots of sea grass over there too so lots of sea stars and moon jellies tropical fish etc. 

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, pattycake08 said:

No Map was provided. I usually consult Cruise Critic on such matters, but had no idea that there were multiple beaches. Thank you for the info will put in my hat for next time.

There’s literally a giant map sticking out of the ground

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

No worries there. It looked like a virtual mosh pit in front of the DJ in the pool last month.

Not my thing but that's what great about Cococay. You can chill on multiple beaches, snorkel, party at the pool, or chill at the pool. We have a spot we like that's not too far from the pool bar and we can hear the music from a nice distance without being "in the party." Also a short walk to both a snack shack and Chill Grill, both of which I'm a huge fan.

Exactly, I think the island is designed well enough that you can make your own "Perfect Day" experience.  You wouldn't catch me anywhere near the main pool or water slide areas that are mobbed with kids.  But there are lots of quieter beach areas where you can relax and do your own thing, if you're willing to find them.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 2:18 PM, Tromler said:

image.thumb.png.a1207bdfece12a47c308f6c0d951bdf3.png

Quoting you just to reference the map--but responding to the OP. It sounds like you did the same as we did--got off the ship in a complete panic about finding shaded chairs and just went to the first area we saw. So, we first put our stuff down in the first cove on the bottom left. Soon after, I walked over and saw the next cove (left second from bottom), which was a bit bigger/nicer, and made my family move over there. A little later, I then discovered the NEXT cove (top left), and I was like--wow, you've got to see this--it's gorgeous!! My family was NOT going to move because they're like we're not falling for this again. I had to beg them that it would be worth it! Finally, when we went over there, they were like, yes, this is what we're talking about!! And it was gorgeous and amazing. Maybe the beaches at the top of the map were even better--but there was no way my family was even going to bother to find out, lol. After lunch we specifically went looking for the pool. The way it's completely surrounded by trees and greenery, it was a little difficult to find the openings to actually get into it--but the PUMPING MUSIC and squealing people let you know that it's just beyond these plants... We didn't stay there very long. It was CRAZY--especially the people packed elbow-to-elbow in front of the bar area dancing to the DJ. If you stayed in the smaller area that's under the bridge, it was less crowded. But, back to your point...I can see if you were by the pool (crowds) or the first two Chill Island coves or Harbor beach, it was probably somewhat disappointing. Yet, the Breezy Bay area was heavenly! We left there definitely feeling like it was, indeed, a Perfect Day. Looking forward to definitely planning another cruise to Coco Cay and checking out the South Beach area. But the Breezy Bay area was {chef's kiss}. The only minor inconvenience is that it dropped off to really deep quickly, so we couldn't go out too far. And, we couldn't believe it that people paid $3000 for an over-the-water cabana and we didn't see a single person use their slide! lol.

Edited by Bound4Bermuda
  • Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 12:13 PM, pattycake08 said:

No Map was provided. I usually consult Cruise Critic on such matters, but had no idea that there were multiple beaches. Thank you for the info will put in my hat for next time.

They no longer put maps in your cabin the night before.  Now there are a couple of people handing them out where the path splits in front of the kids pirate ship.  We like the middle Chill beach since there is a lot of shade in the trees.  You are also close to the buffet and bar.  Not as close to Snack Shack.  Also short walk to the big pool.

10 hours ago, psac said:

thanks!

I think that the nicest easier to walk in and out of is HAL Half Moon Cay.  sand is smooth and the beach is a nice long curved style with lots of chairs and hardly any slope at all.

Disney beach can be seaweed and lumpy to get in and out of especially after storms.    

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, M&JfromSDL said:

CoCoCay is so great I've considered doing B2B 3 or 4 day cruises just to visit it twice.  Sorry you missed out.

We just did one and the double visit was one of the main reasons. We loved it. Go for it!

• Like 1

The only thing not "perfect" at Coco Cay is the Coco Beach Club makes it impossible to walk directly from Breezy Bay to South Beach now.  It was such a nice and open stretch of beach when we first visited when it opened in 2019.  In February, we had a South Beach Cabana which we scored on Black Friday for $399.  So we actually didn't explore much this time.  I have two more trips booked this year so plan to try something different each time.  I do enjoy spending maybe 30 minutes in the pool area each time.  But we are there for the beach for the most part.

On 8/3/2022 at 3:13 PM, OCSC Mike said:

Yeah, seems to be a pretty common siting. My wife concluded it was a nurse shark.

We were also there in late May in an OTW cabana and our attendant told us in advance that lemon sharks are often in that area... sure enough my wife saw one of those that day.

Mike. -  Could you tell me the price of a cabana. It's does not show up on my cruise planner for our cruise in Jan.

24 minutes ago, verodoodle said:

Mike. -  Could you tell me the price of a cabana. It's does not show up on my cruise planner for our cruise in Jan.

It varies greatly. My generous in laws got us that cabana and booked it well in advance when prices were lower. Think they paid $1699 or $1799. Closer to the cruise when only a few were left it got as high at $3499, then I saw $2499 I think.

They're taking us on another family cruise next June and it recently opened at $3499!

Weird that you don't have it available yet for January but who knows with RC?

Hi, being the OP, I just wanted to clarify. I have been on 13 cruises and none that I have been on ever stopped at a Private Island other then MSC last September, so I was a little unsure with Perfect Day.  We had 6 of us girls, all of who like Beach & pool, and the first thing we thought off was find Lounge chairs & Umbrellas, and Chill Island was the first beach we came across, and just parked everything down & hurried to get into the ocean.  There were no maps in the cabin, nor did I see any one with them, but then again I was not looking for any. The food was the best part, 10/10, but I heard from these posts that there was also a snack shack I missed out on, probably would have loved that. Upsetting that we were there the entire day & clueless, maybe next time, we can give it a try & will be more informed.

• Like 6

OP, Now I understand your frustration even more clearly.  We too were at Ocean Cay prior to our more recent visit to Coco Cay.  At Ocean Cay, we could see the entire layout of the island from the ship: the beaches, the loungers and umbrellas, the walkways, the food areas.  Choosing a destination was easy, and easily walked (or golf carted) to.

IMO, Ocean Cay is a tough act to follow!  It sure was for us.

On 8/4/2022 at 12:06 PM, psac said:

will the water at the beaches be as crystal clear at Coco Cay as it can be at Castaway

Yes. They're not far from each other, and the water at both is crystal clear and blue depending on weather.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, blade3 said:

What food (free) should not be missed? And where was it on CocoCay?

Chill Grill or Skipper's Grill (same menu at both)

• Taco bar (chicken, steak, or pork) with freshly made flour tortillas (preferred the chicken and steak)
  • Cuban sandwich (not completely authentic but pretty good)
  • Chocolate chip cookies (take 2 of them to the ice cream machine and ask the attendant to put vanilla soft serve on one and make an ice cream sandwich)

Snack Shacks (all 3 have the same menu)

• Fried chicken sandwich with everything on it
  • Fried chicken sandwich plain, then order mozz sicks with marinara and put the sticks/sauce on top of the chicken for a chicken parm sandwich
  • FUNNEL CAKES, FUNNEL CAKES, FUNNEL CAKES!

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Chill Grill or Skipper's Grill (same menu at both)

• Taco bar (chicken, steak, or pork) with freshly made flour tortillas (preferred the chicken and steak)
  • Cuban sandwich (not completely authentic but pretty good)
  • Chocolate chip cookies (take 2 of them to the ice cream machine and ask the attendant to put vanilla soft serve on one and make an ice cream sandwich)

Snack Shacks (all 3 have the same menu)

• Fried chicken sandwich with everything on it
  • Fried chicken sandwich plain, then order mozz sicks with marinara and put the sticks/sauce on top of the chicken for a chicken parm sandwich
  • FUNNEL CAKES, FUNNEL CAKES, FUNNEL CAKES!

Not hard to see what you like best Mike. Could it be FUNNEL CAKES! LOL

We will be going next month and haven't been since the upgrade so all this info is very helpful.

On 8/4/2022 at 3:23 PM, LeeW said:

They no longer put maps in your cabin the night before.  Now there are a couple of people handing them out where the path splits in front of the kids pirate ship.  We like the middle Chill beach since there is a lot of shade in the trees.  You are also close to the buffet and bar.  Not as close to Snack Shack.  Also short walk to the big pool.

We had maps delivered to our cabin on Harmony a couple weeks ago, as well as being inundated with them at the bottom of the escalator as we were disembarking.

13 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

You missed one:  take the brownies and break them into small pieces in a cup/bowl, then add soft serve and mix it up and eat with a spoon.