Bermuda - recommended restaurants for lunch?

planefring1

26 minutes ago, hallux said:

I'll second the forum suggestion.

I'll tack on a restaurant suggestion - the Frog & Onion Pub, right in the dockyard near the entrance to the National Museum.

Not only convenient but pretty good.  And if you buy something, they give you internet for an hour.  At least they did the last time I was there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, planefring1 said:

Looking for recommendations for a lunch spot in Bermuda. Something unique to the location.

Thanks…

We like the Hog Penny in Hamilton. It has a funky British pub atmosphere.

The Swizzle Inn in Bailey's Bay, which is adjacent to Crystal Caves and not far from St. George's is a classic Bermuda pub.

As others have mentioned the Frog and Onion in the Royal Naval Dockyard is very popular.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

The Swizzle Inn in Bailey's Bay, which is adjacent to Crystal Caves and not far from St. George's is a classic Bermuda pub.

And now you've given me the opening to post this photo of the best fish sandwich I've ever had, the Bailey's Bay, which paired really well with rum swizzle.  ☺️

00-m8Z7QgQNSN1pSiWVw3FAIG1nv5s5FgYR4GzGtunnUQaM5RHgJ9ERPaD5kqjJUiPbVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1643198803

(photo by turtles06)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, hallux said:

I'll second the forum suggestion.

I'll tack on a restaurant suggestion - the Frog & Onion Pub, right in the dockyard near the entrance to the National Museum.

19 hours ago, billslowsky said:

Not only convenient but pretty good.  And if you buy something, they give you internet for an hour.  At least they did the last time I was there.

Went there a few weeks ago, food was good enough.  But beware of their "service charge" which is 18% or something like that.  The waiter dropped off the check, mentioned it and said that it goes to the management.  Asked another waiter and he said some of it went to management.  Either way it's bad for the customer

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, geegee1 said:

Went there a few weeks ago, food was good enough.  But beware of their "service charge" which is 18% or something like that.  The waiter dropped off the check, mentioned it and said that it goes to the management.  Asked another waiter and he said some of it went to management.  Either way it's bad for the customer

A service charge at restaurants is pretty common outside the US instead of tipping like in the US. Wait staff gets paid a living wage instead depending on tips That is the case in Bermuda for most restaurants with a few exceptions. The Swizzle Inn is the only one I recall that does not have a service charge. They are warning you about the service charge because many American tourists don't notice the service charge is on the bill and add a tip. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Thanks 2

Wahoos in St Georges!

There was also a really nice Italian Bistro across from the Aquarium, I can't remember the name though. I've been to Bermuda three times and been all over the island, you'd never guess it but Bermudians love their Italian food and pizza!

Edited by CleverUserNameHere
  • Like 1

On 8/10/2022 at 5:12 PM, Charles4515 said:

A service charge at restaurants is pretty common outside the US instead of tipping like in the US. Wait staff gets paid a living wage instead depending on tips That is the case in Bermuda for most restaurants with a few exceptions. The Swizzle Inn is the only one I recall that does not have a service charge. They are warning you about the service charge because many American tourists don't notice the service charge is on the bill and add a tip. 

But then don't say tell the customer that the service charge doesn't go to them (the waitstaff) and make the customer feel guilty for not tipping on top of it

10 minutes ago, geegee1 said:

But then don't say tell the customer that the service charge doesn't go to them (the waitstaff) and make the customer feel guilty for not tipping on top of it

I agree with you.  I have never had a waiter in Bermuda point out the service charge that was on the bill. I expect at a place like the Frog and Onion that is frequented mainly by US cruise passengers some don't notice and add a tip out of US tipping habit.  They may gotten used to that. Sounds like this waiter was being proactive shady in case you noticed the service charge. 

• Like 1