Royal Caribbean and Celebrity are also dropping vaccine requirements.......

BermudaBound2014

Well that didn't take long. Just 3 days after NCL announced they are dropping all vaccine requirements RCL and Celebrity have followed.

It seems that Royal and Celebrity have a few more restrictions (I don't see Florida ports listed), but it's another clear move toward removal of all protocols for cruise ship passengers. How long will it be before HAL makes an announcement one way or another?

Details can be found here: https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/28030-royal-caribbean-dropping-vaccine-requirements-for-select-cruises.html

image.png.bb8e658a8d467ab66fbd59ab10d94c41.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Have you considered the possibility that the industry could end the covid protection programs? Abolish all protocols and end the “Worry-Free Promise”.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise.html?ICID=HECIV0606221744

No FCC if you are infected! File a claim with your insurance company. No reimbursement for onshore food and lodgings! File a claim with your insurance company.

Who will the insurance industry pass the costs to?

Why cancel the covid protection benefits? Well, you can't expect all individuals to behave in a responsible manner. Why should the cruise company reward careless behaviour? Why should careful pax subsidize the foolish? 🙄

Of course the cruise lines are going to end their extremely burdensome and costly covid protection policies. To think these would continue for any length of time is quite naïve. 

If you choose to travel you choose the risks. Seems a bit entitled to expect reimbursement from the cruise lines in the event you catch a highly contagious virus. If you want to avoid covid, choose a vacation with lower population density. Lots of choices exist.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

So, three other cruise lines are dropping their vaccine requirements. Just what does that have to do with HAL, where you posted this?

I believe this information is relevant because all of the cruise lines have followed each other with Covid policies since the start of the pandemic.

This information is interesting for anyone who wishes to stay current in what is happening with the industry as a whole. You have to admit, these are big changes.

NCL made the change to allow the unvaccinated on August 8th

Rcl/Celebrity made the change to allow the Unvaccinated on August 10th.

One would expect that CCL (and HAL) will make an announcement soon. Either a change in policy or a statement saying HAL will keep the vaccinated requirement (which is possible). 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, carolina_yankee said:

Celebrity still requires vaccines for all passengers over 12 for US departures, as well as testing for cruises six nights and longer, but it's now 3 days instead of two days prior to boarding.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/updated-us-travel-requirements

I don't believe this is accurate. Celebrity does not require vaccination for all passengers 12 and over for all US departures. It is true that the unvaccinated are welcome onboard but do  need to present a negative test. 

From the link you provided:

image.png.89e7f16eaffc7cdaae2afcbc59a2b752.png

It is confusing because RCL/Celebrity have embarkation ports which require vaccination. The most notable is Florida. Basically, if you are departing from Florida (many cruises are), both Celebrity and RCL still require vaccination. However; there is another big announcement coming on August 14th which could open up more home ports. Covid policies are still very fluid. 

image.png.51832695cbeac60d2e44a1832c270e90.png

https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/cruise/royal-lines-to-remove-vaccination-mandate-on-select-sailings

This subject is ever evolving.  The anti-vaccination crowd is rejoicing.  I'd still rather get on a ship with people who got the vaccine, but every time I go to the market the risk is the same.  I'd just really rather not miss ports and have to face quarantine.  There are those on these boards who say to go elsewhere for your vacation, but why should I?  I expect the cruiseline to take every precaution to keep guests safe.  Ok, flame me again, but that's what I think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

My opinion - I think HAL should not do anything right away. Let the others try it and see how it works. Especially since HAL is known for an older sailing group - know not all are older - and not the first choice of families. Being fully vaxxed and boosted, and having had covid, I'm no longer overly concerned about catching covid from others. My primary concern is how ill someone who is not vaxxed may become and if it means we would need to skip ports or return to port.

Your opinion my be different than mine and that's okay.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, vswan said:

My opinion - I think HAL should not do anything right away.

HAL has been sailing with vaccination requirement for over a year now.

How much longer would they have to wait until "doing anything"  was outside the realm of "right away"?

Edited by mightycruisequeen
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, mightycruisequeen said:

HAL has been sailing with vaccination requirement for over a year now.

How much longer would they have to wait until "doing anything"  was outside the realm of "right away"?

Maybe forever.  People are still getting sick from covid. They want to protect their staff, as well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The question for me never changes regardless of what any of these lines chooses to do with their businesses.  The question doesn't change even with all the opinions thrown around.

Am I going to cruise given the situation?

That question and answer is the only thing I have any control of. I look at it and I decide with what is best for ME yes or no. 

• Like 4

That's a great question, @oakridger!  I found it humorous (as one who doesn't believe in masking) how many times on my recent cruise I saw crew members walking around without masks, many of whom would quickly pull it up when seeing a passenger coming.  I strongly suspect most cruise ship staff would prefer a masks optional policy that lets them make their own decision regarding risk tolerance.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, iceman93 said:

That's a great question, @oakridger!  I found it humorous (as one who doesn't believe in masking) how many times on my recent cruise I saw crew members walking around without masks, many of whom would quickly pull it up when seeing a passenger coming.  I strongly suspect most cruise ship staff would prefer a masks optional policy that lets them make their own decision regarding risk tolerance.

The major difference is if a crew member gets ill it effects staffing, something the cruise lines are already having problems with.  Unlike passengers where the changes being considered are likely to reduce cruise line costs (no testing so fewer last minute cancellations, changes on coverage to make individual insurance responsible if one does get sick on board, etc.) as long as they do not care how many cases occur on board.   Where as if a crew member gets sick it increases their costs and impacts service/staffing.  As a result I expect that crew members will continue to need to be fully vaccinated, tested and probably continue to wear masks.  It is all about the balance sheet.

On 8/11/2022 at 5:53 AM, BermudaBound2014 said:

One would expect that CCL (and HAL) will make an announcement soon. Either a change in policy or a statement saying HAL will keep the vaccinated requirement (which is possible). 

CCL and HAL have already announced their changes.. 🙂