Am I reading this right? No pre-cruise testing with exceptions?

I just read this Cruise Critic article explaining the Covid requirements for every major cruise line. 
We cruise out of Galveston, Oct 16 on Liberty, 7 days and are fully vaccinated. According to the RCCL section, we will no longer have to do the pre-test. (The wording is a little awkward). If so, why aren’t we hearing about this from RCCL? Am I missing something?

Here’s the section:

Royal Caribbean

Adventure of the Seas COVID test

Who Needs to Be Vaccinated: Beginning September 5, Royal Caribbean will welcome unvaccinated passengers sailing from Los Angeles, Galveston, New Orleans and all European homeports. Any other departure ports will still require full vaccination for all passengers over the age of 12.

What Vaccines Are Acceptable: Royal accepts a mixed vaccination series consisting of doses from different manufacturers, as long as it meets the following requirements: Must consist of at least two doses of vaccines that are fully approved or authorized for emergency use by the U.S. FDA or the World Health Organization. The 2 doses must be administered at least 28 days apart. The final dose must be completed at least 14 days before sailing.

Are Any Unvaccinated Passengers Able to Sail? Yes, though with some conditions in place, such as the requirement to provide a negative pre-cruise COVID-19 test, and only from select ports of call. Unvaccinated passengers on Caribbean itineraries will not be able to disembark the vessel in Grand Cayman, while unvaccinated passengers calling on Spanish or Greek ports of call will need to take a COVID-19 test prior to arrival.

Is A Pre-Arrival COVID-19 Test Required? Beginning August 8, fully vaccinated passengers will not need a test for sailings five days or less. Unvaccinated passengers, and all passengers on sailings six days and over not departing from Los Angeles, Galveston, New Orleans or Europe will still need a pre-arrival COVID-19 test. 

Is A Pierside, Pre-Embarkation COVID-19 Test Required? No, unless passengers are unvaccinated. Unvaccinated children will be given a complimentary test pierside. Children under two are exempt from pierside testing. 

Masks and Physical Distancing Requirements: Masks are optional for fully vaccinated passengers. Unvaccinated children over the age of two are expected to continue wearing masks indoors and in crowded settings. Masks are required for all children age 2 and older while at the Adventure Ocean youth program. 

Crew Vaccinated?: Yes.

• Thanks 1

What you underlined says 5 days and less no pretest. Liberty is 7 days. The other part you underlined is about unvaccinated who are now allowed to cruise also.

Nothing changed for liberty sailings from Galveston.  There are maybe 3 other threads saying this. 

Nothing you underlined says anything changed for vaccinated. It hasn't. 

It's this part that is confusing:

all passengers on sailings six days and over not departing from Los Angeles, Galveston, New Orleans or Europe will still need a pre-arrival COVID-19 test. 

If you are on a 7 day cruise departing from Galveston, you don't need a pre-arrival test according to the wording "six days and over not departing from Galveston" .... "still need"

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Maria63 said:

all passengers on sailings six days and over not departing from Los Angeles, Galveston, New Orleans or Europe will still need a pre-arrival COVID-19 test. 

If you are on a 7 day cruise departing from Galveston, you don't need a pre-arrival test according to the wording "six days and over not departing from Galveston" .... "still need"

So basically, if you're leaving from Florida, you need a test. Where else are cruises leaving out of right now? Are Singapore and Australia back in the mix?

1 hour ago, ARandomTraveler said:

So basically, if you're leaving from Florida, you need a test. Where else are cruises leaving out of right now? Are Singapore and Australia back in the mix?

Hes on liberty in oct, he just posted. Out of Galveston... it's in texas, lol. 

2 hours ago, Maria63 said:

Thanks! You read better than we do in the US. :classic_biggrin: But I sort of think that right now, they still want a negative Covid test. Maybe not? And hopefully that will change soon. At the present time, unless it is clarified, we will show up with our negative test result. Because I don't trust THEIR proofreaders. 

35 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Thanks! You read better than we do in the US. :classic_biggrin: But I sort of think that right now, they still want a negative Covid test. Maybe not? And hopefully that will change soon. At the present time, unless it is clarified, we will show up with our negative test result. Because I don't trust THEIR proofreaders. 

Rcl on their site is clear we still need a test 6 days and over.

Reading a cc wrap up of changes doesnt mean now we dont need a test.

This article is not from rcl. Rcl is clear. It's like taking a bloggers word for protocols. 

Testing for 6 days and more is still required out of Galveston .... even if some article is worded confusing. It could change .. it hasnt changed except now 3 days if vaccinated. Read rcl. Rcl is who to listen to. Lol. 

Let's not have people being turned away from boarding. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

And still need to be vaccinated also....makes ZERO sense.  I can cruise out of FL on Carnival and Norwegian without a vaccine TO THE BAHAMAS and only have to take test.

5 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

Singapore yes, Australia starts in October. Everyone seems to think RCL will announce the protocols on 1st Oct for Australia, we are cruising in Nov from Sydney.

Several ships are currently in Europe and still require testing at the moment.

• Like 1

We are sailing on a b2b out of Barcelona in October, first part is 5 days so I guess no testing is needed but the second part is 8 days, although when we did a b2b in June we tested to board but there was no retesting for b2b cruisers.   Hope they clarify soon, I'd rather test in advance and at least know whether we can board and stay onboard.

34 minutes ago, welshrich said:

We are sailing on a b2b out of Barcelona in October, first part is 5 days so I guess no testing is needed but the second part is 8 days, although when we did a b2b in June we tested to board but there was no retesting for b2b cruisers.   Hope they clarify soon, I'd rather test in advance and at least know whether we can board and stay onboard.

Is there something on the Royal site that you're not understanding?

REQUIRED TESTING FOR GUESTS SAILING FROM BARCELONA OR TARRAGONA, SPAIN

All Guests: Required Pre-Cruise Testing 

All guests sailing from Barcelona, Spain will need to take a test before boarding, as detailed below. Tests must be supervised with the result provided on a certificate which includes the guest’s name and date of birth. Telehealth tests are accepted, but must be completed with a supervised video visit. All tests are at the guests’ expense.

• Vaccinated guests who are up to date must show a negative result for a PCR or antigen test taken no more than 2 days before boarding day. Vaccinated guests who are not up to date will have a 1 day window to take this test.  Kids age 11 or younger who have been vaccinated may follow the testing protocols for vaccinated guests.  
  • Unvaccinated kids age 2 to 11 must show a negative result for a PCR or antigen test taken no more than 1 day before boarding day. 
  • Guests under 2 years of age do not need to complete a pre-cruise test. 

During the Cruise

In addition to the pre-cruise test, guests age 12 and up who are considered not up to date with their vaccination, or are not vaccinated with an EMA-authorized vaccine, will require additional testing to be completed onboard at their own expense, in order to go ashore in select countries. To learn more about requirements by port, please visit our Europe Port Testing Requirement FAQ

Prior to Disembarking

Guests 12 and up that are not up to date with their vaccinations will take an antigen test within one day before disembarkation day. Guests will be notified onboard about how to register for this test. The cost of the test is at their own expense, conducted onboard by a licensed third-party testing provider at a cost of $55 USD per test. Royal Caribbean does not retain any part of the testing costs.

eMed Tests Kits for Guests Traveling from the U.S.   

Through our testing partners, U.S.-based vaccinated guests may purchase antigen test kits for vaccinated guests that you can complete online with a supervised virtual video visit, wherever you are, 24 hours 7 days a week to meet travel testing requirements for cruise or flight.  

4 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Is there something on the Royal site that you're not understanding?

Actually yes, there is for me. We are due to sail out of Amsterdam in 2 weeks. When I click "Amsterdam" the site takes me to info about Copenhagen, but not Amsterdam. One might conclude that it means no test is required for Amsterdam, but personally I don't believe it to be the case just yet.

I can also see Welshrich's uncertainty re b2b:s, if the first leg is 5 days or less. Do you need to test for the second leg, which is longer than 5 days, and if so, do they offer this service onboard? Or, to play it safe, do you take the test before the first leg to be sure, even if it's not required? But then again, would it be accepted for the 2:nd leg if it's considered a new sailing, and more than 2 days have passed since you took it? And I don't think we have the supervised self-test system in Europe the same way as in the US, so finding a testing site in the midst of a b2b may be a challenge.

7 minutes ago, Maria63 said:

Actually yes, there is for me. We are due to sail out of Amsterdam in 2 weeks. When I click "Amsterdam" the site takes me to info about Copenhagen, but not Amsterdam. One might conclude that it means no test is required for Amsterdam, but personally I don't believe it to be the case just yet.

Well, that whole section states:

REQUIRED TESTING FOR GUESTS SAILING FROM EUROPE HOME PORTS, EXCLUDING GREECE AND SPAIN

Since Amsterdam would be considered a European Home Port that is not Greece or Spain.... that's your answer, no?

7 minutes ago, Maria63 said:

I can also see Welshrich's uncertainty re b2b:s, if the first leg is 5 days or less. Do you need to test for the second leg, which is longer than 5 days, and if so, do they offer this service onboard? Or, to play it safe, do you take the test before the first leg to be sure, even if it's not required? But then again, would it be accepted for the 2:nd leg if it's considered a new sailing, and more than 2 days have passed since you took it? And I don't think we have the supervised self-test system in Europe the same way as in the US, so finding a testing site in the midst of a b2b may be a challenge.

Again, the "five days or less" doesn't apply to Barcelona.  The Royal website specifically states:

REQUIRED TESTING FOR GUESTS SAILING FROM BARCELONA OR TARRAGONA, SPAIN

All guests sailing from Barcelona, Spain will need to take a test before boarding, as detailed below. 

So the B2B with a five day starter cruise doesn't matter.... because ALL cruises from Barcelona require testing.

Edited by brillohead

18 minutes ago, brillohead said:

REQUIRED TESTING FOR GUESTS SAILING FROM EUROPE HOME PORTS, EXCLUDING GREECE AND SPAIN

Since Amsterdam would be considered a European Home Port that is not Greece or Spain.... that's your answer, no?

The issue is with the following list of departure ports. If you click for instance Amsterdam or Stockholm, you get info that specifically mentions only Copenhagen. There's no obvious and logical reason why Copenhagen would require a test but not the other European departure ports excluding Greece and Spain. That's why I do at this point conclude that there may well be a somewhat misleading error in the info:

Q

Will I have to take a COVID-19 test before or during my cruise?

A

CHOOSE A PORT OF DEPARTURE:

Testing requirements vary by port of departure and vaccination status. Below are the published requirements for select ports. We are continually adding, monitoring and adjusting information on testing requirements as public health standards and government regulations evolve. Booked guests will be advised of the latest requirements for their port of departure before sailing.

38 minutes ago, brillohead said:

To rephrase my issue & question: As the section you refer to reads as follows, and I'm sailing out of Amsterdam and not Copenhagen, do I need a test or not?

All guests sailing from Copenhagen, Denmark will need to take a test before boarding, as detailed below. The test must be conducted at a certified testing location or supervised by a healthcare telemedicine professional. Telehealth tests are accepted, but must be completed with a supervised video visit. All tests are at the guests’ expense.

7 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Hes on liberty in oct, he just posted. Out of Galveston... it's in texas, lol. 

I know - I was meaning that as my interpretation of the underlined portion of the rules to be "...you don't need a test unless you're leaving from Florida (or Australia or Singapore, if they're doing cruises from there again yet)"

5 hours ago, mickeychicky said:

And still need to be vaccinated also....makes ZERO sense.  I can cruise out of FL on Carnival and Norwegian without a vaccine TO THE BAHAMAS and only have to take test.

No one is stopping you from cruising on Carnival and Norwegian! Enjoy your trip!

Thank you for the responses. I knew that the valid answer would be from RCCL, but was very curious when I read this. I took the sentence that said:

Unvaccinated passengers, and all passengers on sailings six days and over not departing from Los Angeles, Galveston, New Orleans or Europe will still need a pre-arrival COVID-19 test. 

To state that unvaccinated and ALL (meaning the vaccinated) passengers 6+ days and departing from Galveston, did not need a pre cruise test.

As stated, it’s written poorly. We were hoping it would be something else we don’t have to worry about.😎 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

So basically, if you're leaving from Florida, you need a test. Where else are cruises leaving out of right now?

Maryland, New Jersey, California, Louisiana, Washington, Massachusetts, Alaska, Texas, British Columbia...  .. 

• Like 1