This is not a Viking review…

FolsomMike

2 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Agreed about the Star Theatre for sure Kent.  Only time we went there was if our meet point for an excursion was in the ST.  I went there for a couple of lectures but was able to sit in the peanut gallery far from others and everyone had to mask anyways.

We always sat in the peanut gallery for all gatherings in the Star (we did not do the evening entertainment) and wore masks all the time in the ship and on the buses. We had N95 masks and managed to remain COVID free. A lot is due to luck, I’m sure, but I like to think our actions had something to do with staying healthy.

• Like 4

We would still get to cruise fjords, kayak the Naeroyfjord,  hike in Skagen and Kristiansand, and learn something of Oslo and  small Norwegian towns.  In between ports, at the very least, we will enjoy the views from the ship. Even if we won’t experience everything a Viking cruise has to offer, we would regret not taking the trip. That’s why I appreciate all the previous posters’ advice about the precautions they take.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Traveler145 said:

We would still get to cruise fjords, kayak the Naeroyfjord,  hike in Skagen and Kristiansand, and learn something of Oslo and  small Norwegian towns.  In between ports, at the very least, we will enjoy the views from the ship. Even if we won’t experience everything a Viking cruise has to offer, we would regret not taking the trip. That’s why I appreciate all the previous posters’ advice about the precautions they take.

I agree. We had a wonderful time on The Mars, wearing a mask and social distancing is not a massive hardship. We sat outside to eat and chatted with many. We didn't do the show in the theatre, whilst great, one viewing of the Beatles and Abba is enough.

One of the wonderful things about Viking is that there is plenty of room to find quiet spots to nestle, you're not packed in like sardines. Just mask up and enjoy being utterly spoilt!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

nor can I tell the frequency of cleaning/changing  air handler filters.

Well, since the level of airborne virus is supposedly high enough that folks should mask up, I have to assume that all those filters are just chock full of virus molecules that they caught flowing through ducts.  Only question....if so, why aren't the crew cleaning those outfitted in full hazmat gear to protect them from that dangerous buildup?

1 minute ago, FlyerTalker said:

Well, since the level of airborne virus is supposedly high enough that folks should mask up, I have to assume that all those filters are just chock full of virus molecules that they caught flowing through ducts.  Only question....if so, why aren't the crew cleaning those outfitted in full hazmat gear to protect them from that dangerous buildup?

Haha, probably changed less often than those loaded ones on aircraft.

4 hours ago, donaldsc said:

My thoughts on what you are planning to do is that if you follow your plan the cruise is not going to be much fun.  Why bother.

DON

I don’t agree at all, it’s what we did on the TA in March where testing was still in place but mask requirements came off a few days before disembarkation (we kept ours on). Then we were careful with masking & social distancing in BCN & London. We tested negative and flew home. It’s no fun getting Covid so this is the way we have to travel now.

• Like 4

On 8/22/2022 at 11:32 AM, Jim Avery said:

Sorry, but they only have individual air handlers.  Air comes (and goes) through a common duct.  It would be totally impractical for each cabin to have its own dedicated ductwork.   The individual air handlers give the cabin occupant the ability to set temps, on/off, and fan speeds.  There is a filter in the air return for each cabin but each section of the hotel has its own air ducts.  Not sure exactly how many cabins share a duct in each section nor can I tell the frequency of cleaning/changing  air handler filters.

This is directly from the Viking site and I have heard the Chairman speak about this directly on videos too.  If this is false then what are we to believe?

image.thumb.png.96318e7f08624f316329ecdb91e9d3da.png

• Like 1

Yes, individual room air handlers, not exclusive individual duct work.  And it has always been so that different zones have different air circulation systems.  Just semantics.  The light ray thing we have at our home. Old tech.

28 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Yes, individual room air handlers, not exclusive individual duct work.  And it has always been so that different zones have different air circulation systems.  Just semantics.  The light ray thing we have at our home. Old tech.

Absolutely.  Of course, just about every modern ship has individual handlers, so it's like the old days of TV commercials for Shell gasoline with Platformate.  Except that all gasolines had platformate, not just under that specific name.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2022 at 11:43 AM, CDNPolar said:

Thank you.  Thank you.  But, there are many threads on CC where people blatantly state that they would not request a test in your situation because they would not want to "lose" the money they spent on the cruise being isolated to their stateroom, or worse disembarked from the ship.

I believe - unfortunately - that you are in the minority.  I am not saying that others would not volunteer for a test, but I am saying that many would not.

As we learn more and more about Covid, it is wrong IMO to just say it is a mild cold or flu.  Stats today are that 400 people a day are still dying from Covid in the USA and that is most likely an underreported stat.

Many people that had a mild case - and recovered -  months ago are coming up with new symptoms and Long Covid is emerging from mild cases.

I think that the whole focus of this thread was the selfishness of fellow passengers that were coughing and not being respectful to their fellow passengers by either wearing a mask or properly covering their mouth and nose and then washing their hands.

We know that cruise ships are notorious for spread of other things like Norovirus, but I was hoping that this could have been, would have been, a lesson on hand sanitation and basic coughing hygiene that would have stuck with us. 

Unfortunately not. 

I am currently on the Mars and on my third day of quarantine. I requested testing because I had all the symptoms and was really sick. Even if I hadn’t tested, I was too sick & could not have participated on excursions or been out and about on the ship. I knew it would impact my vacation, but I certainly would not want want my lack of action for selfish reasons to impact someone else. The staff is taking great care of us.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

25 minutes ago, biggerbearmom said:

I am currently on the Mars and on my third day of quarantine. I requested testing because I had all the symptoms and was really sick. Even if I hadn’t tested, I was too sick & could not have participated on excursions or been out and about on the ship. I knew it would impact my vacation, but I certainly would not want want my lack of action for selfish reasons to impact someone else. The staff is taking great care of us.

Thank you for being conscientious.  I noticed two quarantine cabins just on our deck. Also, our cruise director was out for the first week because he was “under the weather”. Of course, Viking staff never mentioned the C word.  

1 hour ago, biggerbearmom said:

I'm so very sorry you've been struck down but I thank you for being considerate to everyone else around you. Take care of yourself, rest, drink lots of fluids and ask for some nourishing soups, I'm sure Viking will oblige and take really good care of you. Really hoping that you manage to shake it off very quickly.

Sending all good wishes to you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, biggerbearmom said:

Thank you.  Unfortunately there are many that would hide their illness especially if mild.

I am sorry to hear that you have Covid and hope you will recover quickly and that it is not too bad.

2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Thank you.  Unfortunately there are many that would hide their illness especially if mild.

I am sorry to hear that you have Covid and hope you will recover quickly and that it is not too bad.

Thank you for the kind comments, I would not wish this on my worst enemy. The first three days of quarantine were not so bad because I was sick and in bed. Today I am feeling much better, and melancholy because we are docked in Flam, Norway. It is a beautiful sunny day, people are out enjoying the sights and the beautiful weather, and we have to be content with the view from our balcony.

593F5FCF-D260-4BDB-993A-8EC0FFA8CF7F.thumb.jpeg.c98a82b983297251c659ceb6549d060c.jpeg0D25FFDC-EDB9-45BB-A7C8-952C1F1F3176.thumb.jpeg.1360c26aa4bcac326a38f80ffdd11e58.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, biggerbearmom said:

Thank you for testing and quarantining.  So sorry you got so sick from it.

• Like 1

My wife and I are among the 18% of US that has not had Covid.  We don’t often see crowds and we mask when we do.  We did Istanbul to Venice on Viking in May and found most people reasonable.  I flew twice in the last month, R/T Burbank to Sacramento and also to Denver, both trips I was part of the 10% to 15% on the plane wearing masks.

Both my wife and I have had allergy induced sinus infections this month treated with antibiotics and Covid tested negative each of us when seeing physicians.

Saturday we fly to Quebec City to take HAL to Boston with three bucket list stops in Newfoundland.  We will mask in crowded areas.  Sister and niece in New York will visit us in Quebec for a few days pre-cruise but Brother in Law won’t.  He refuses vaccines so Canada won’t allow him to cross the border, oh well…….. I suggested that he play tennis at the US Open in place of they guy from Europe who can’t due to anti-vaccines position.

we also did a Mexican Riviera cruise last December, all of the locals wore masks, most of the tourists did not.  People wonder why the US suffers so much from Covid.  Too much “My body my choice” attitude, but only when it fits one’s own perspective 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, biggerbearmom said:

Here is a copy of the t&cs about Covid.

If a passenger has a case of COVID-19 or other communicable disease which is confirmed by a medical test and he or she (or any other member of his or her travelling party) is disembarked, refused re-boarding, or quarantined otherwise than on board the vessel as a result, then, unless Viking determines that he or she has failed to comply with its COVID-19 Policies and Procedures (and subject to the provision of verification satisfactory to Viking of results of any tests administered by providers other than those retained by Viking) affected passengers will be entitled to a refund of a pro rata amount (based on the proportion of the cruise affected) of the amount paid as by them to Viking for the relevant cruise or, at the passenger’s election, a future cruise credit (subject to such terms and conditions that apply to the relevant future cruise credit at the relevant time) equal in value to not less than such pro rata amount.

When we tested positive (we had requested a test) after we got symptoms  and were isolated, we were looked after extremely well by Viking. When we finished quarantining we were given information of who to contact in the London office to get a pro rata refund.  This could be cash or FCC.  We took the FCC and applied it to next year’s cruise.  I know it didn’t make up for missing part of the cruise but it softened the blow.  This does not seem to have been mentioned on Cruise Critic but as it is in the t&cs it cannot be secret.  We feel Viking was very fair.  (Looking forward to 3 more cruises with Viking next year)

Edited by kcpvwill
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, kcpvwill said:

Here is a copy of the t&cs about Covid.

If a passenger has a case of COVID-19 or other communicable disease which is confirmed by a medical test and he or she (or any other member of his or her travelling party) is disembarked, refused re-boarding, or quarantined otherwise than on board the vessel as a result, then, unless Viking determines that he or she has failed to comply with its COVID-19 Policies and Procedures (and subject to the provision of verification satisfactory to Viking of results of any tests administered by providers other than those retained by Viking) affected passengers will be entitled to a refund of a pro rata amount (based on the proportion of the cruise affected) of the amount paid as by them to Viking for the relevant cruise or, at the passenger’s election, a future cruise credit (subject to such terms and conditions that apply to the relevant future cruise credit at the relevant time) equal in value to not less than such pro rata amount.

When we tested positive (we had requested a test) after we got symptoms  and were isolated, we were looked after extremely well by Viking. When we finished quarantining we were given information of who to contact in the London office to get a pro rata refund.  This could be cash or FCC.  We took the FCC and applied it to next year’s cruise.  I know it didn’t make up for missing part of the cruise but it softened the blow.  This does not seem to have been mentioned on Cruise Critic but as it is in the t&cs it cannot be secret.  We feel Viking was very fair.  (Looking forward to 3 more cruises with Viking next year)

(From V's terms)

If a passenger has a case of COVID-19 or other communicable disease which is confirmed by a medical test and he or she (or any other member of his or her travelling party) is disembarked, refused re-boarding, or quarantined otherwise than on board the vessel as a result...

Not a lawyer.  I interpret the above to mean if you are quarantined OFF the vessel, not in your cabin, then you are entitled to pro rata refund etc.  Your post indicates that V will give you a refund/FCC, and you are quarantined on ship.  Or is V being generous to pax?

Can someone more knowledgeable than me give interpretive advice on relevant clause?

Edited by FetaCheese
clarity
  • Like 1

We are also on Viking Mars.  My husband is on day 4 of isolation after testing positive for Covid.  (I am still negative by some miracle).  I am convinced that he caught it on the transfer bus from Keflavik. At least a quarter of the people on the bus were coughing.  Without wearing masks.  I've been wearing a KN 95 mask 24/7 since he tested positive.  I have to say Viking is doing an outstanding job taking care of him.

42 minutes ago, dd57 said:

We are also on Viking Mars.  My husband is on day 4 of isolation after testing positive for Covid.  (I am still negative by some miracle).  I am convinced that he caught it on the transfer bus from Keflavik. At least a quarter of the people on the bus were coughing.  Without wearing masks.  I've been wearing a KN 95 mask 24/7 since he tested positive.  I have to say Viking is doing an outstanding job taking care of him.

I’m sorry for your husband but happy for you. I’m not sure where we got it, we wore masks on our flights and such, but I think it must have been on an excursion. We were rat packed into the buses and on long tours with most people not masking. I actually believe there are quite a number of people on this cruise that have tested positive; the vials outside the staterooms are the key clue.

3 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

(From V's terms)

If a passenger has a case of COVID-19 or other communicable disease which is confirmed by a medical test and he or she (or any other member of his or her travelling party) is disembarked, refused re-boarding, or quarantined otherwise than on board the vessel as a result...

Not a lawyer.  I interpret the above to mean if you are quarantined OFF the vessel, not in your cabin, then you are entitled to pro rata refund etc.  Your post indicates that V will give you a refund/FCC, and you are quarantined on ship.  Or is V being generous to pax?

Can someone more knowledgeable than me give interpretive advice on relevant clause?

This is what I came across in my T & C for our cruise which is for Non U.S. Ports:

If, after embarkation, you have a case of COVID-19 or other communicable disease which is confirmed by a medical test and you are disembarked, refused reboarding, or quarantined as a result, unless we determine that you have failed to comply with our COVID-19 Policies and Procedures or this Ticket Contract and subject to your providing verification satisfactory to us of results of any tests administered by providers other than those retained by us, you will be entitled to a future cruise credit equal in value to the amount you paid to us as Cruise Fare prorated to the time of disembarkation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dd57 said:

Hope he feels better.  Is he quarantined in your booked stateroom or one of the V cabins that were set aside on Deck 3 forward port side?  Stay healthy.

1 hour ago, biggerbearmom said:

This is what I came across in my T & C for our cruise which is for Non U.S. Ports:

If, after embarkation, you have a case of COVID-19 or other communicable disease which is confirmed by a medical test and you are disembarked, refused reboarding, or quarantined as a result, unless we determine that you have failed to comply with our COVID-19 Policies and Procedures or this Ticket Contract and subject to your providing verification satisfactory to us of results of any tests administered by providers other than those retained by us, you will be entitled to a future cruise credit equal in value to the amount you paid to us as Cruise Fare prorated to the time of disembarkation.

Thank you for posting the terms for non-US ports.  Now makes sense that you're entitled to a FCC.

Will now re-read my pax tkt contract.  Mine ends in a US territory, so it's a different contract.

Edited by FetaCheese
Addl info

2 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Hope he feels better.  Is he quarantined in your booked stateroom or one of the V cabins that were set aside on Deck 3 forward port side?  Stay healthy.

We are both in our original cabin.  I was told that there are no cabins free for me to move into to avoid more exposure.

Viking is calling it isolation, not quarantine.  Except I'm here too!  I am free to move around the ship and go on excursions as long as I am masked when out of our cabin.  My husband has to stay in the cabin.

• Like 3