Is Holland America a good fit for us?

Reds4life

3 hours ago, Reds4life said:

Interesting perspectives. I don't mean to make my kids seem odd. They are very athletic and enjoy water sports, but also very well rounded and intellectual. Honestly, they don't like ANY kids clubs because the activities, counselors, and other kids usually seem immature and annoying. Again, too much flirty, loud, obnoxious efforts to be "cool" which comes across to them as fake and forced. We may take a chance on HAL. They appreciate good food, enjoy a swimming pool, and tend to be easy to please. 

I saw that they have cooking demonstrations. Any info on those? (Kids like those too lol)

Also, any info on the BBC Earth or One Step Dance?

When you say they enjoy water sports, on HAL that will be limited to swimming pool only.  HAL ships don't have water slides, spash pads, etc., that most other major lines have.

Regarding Step One Dance, you said your youngest likes theater productions.  It isn't a huge theatrical production like on other lines.  Step One is an excellent dance troop--3 men, 3 women if I recall correctly--but is dance only with great background graphics.    I'm sure you can find some clips of them in action on YouTube.

I believe that trying HAL is worth the risk.  You and yours may find that you enjoy that atmosphere which is definitely different from the other lines you have mentioned.

We have traveled with MSC, NCL, RCI and HAL.  While there are aspects of each that we enjoy, we prefer HAL’s amazingly kind and hard working staff, (in our opinion) quality food options, and focus on music offerings.  We last traveled Star class on RCI’s Quantum and was not impressed by the food offerings, but did enjoy the beautiful ship and give their staff a close second to HAL.  Sometimes on MSC and NCL it’s felt like staff seem to almost work against each, where HALs and RCIs seem to be more of a team.

If you do go to Amber Cove, we really enjoyed the coffee planting excursion.  You are transported to a mountainside location where you plant coffee trees (seeds) for a program that helps local families start coffee farms.  If I remember correctly, our group planted enough to get three families started.  It was fun, educational, and felt good to do some good at the same time.  After the planting is done, they roast beans and let you help grind them and then make coffee for you…all in traditional manners.  You then are fed a traditional meal that is great.  The view is spectacular also!

To a couple points:  

We like pizza and while MSC definitely knows their Italian food, we have no issue with HAL pizza since the “New York Pizza” was implemented.  We also enjoy “Dive In”, HALs burger and dog joint to anyone else’s take that we’ve tried.

We enjoy a mix of entertainment, food and relaxation…if that sounds like a mix you’d enjoy, I think you will be happy with HAL.

We will be on the Zuiderdam to Alaska in a couple weeks.  If you have any ship specific questions, I’d be happy to report back.

Edited by mrspeck
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, mrspeck said:

I believe that trying HAL is worth the risk.  You and yours may find that you enjoy that atmosphere which is definitely different from the other lines you have mentioned.

We have traveled with MSC, NCL, RCI and HAL.  While there are aspects of each that we enjoy, we prefer HAL’s amazingly kind and hard working staff, (in our opinion) quality food options, and focus on music offerings.  We last traveled Star class on RCI’s Quantum and was not impressed by the food offerings, but did enjoy the beautiful ship and give their staff a close second to HAL.  Sometimes on MSC and NCL it’s felt like staff seem to almost work against each, where HALs and RCIs seem to be more of a team.

If you do go to Amber Cove, we really enjoyed the coffee planting excursion.  You are transported to a mountainside location where you plant coffee trees (seeds) for a program that helps local families start coffee farms.  If I remember correctly, our group planted enough to get three families started.  It was fun, educational, and felt good to do some good at the same time.  After the planting is done, they roast beans and let you help grind them and then make coffee for you…all in traditional manners.  You then are fed a traditional meal that is great.  The view is spectacular also!

To a couple points:  

We like pizza and while MSC definitely knows their Italian food, we have no issue with HAL pizza since the “New York Pizza” was implemented.  We also enjoy “Dive In”, HALs burger and dog joint to anyone else’s take that we’ve tried.

We enjoy a mix of entertainment, food and relaxation…if that sounds like a mix you’d enjoy, I think you will be happy with HAL.

We will be on the Zuiderdam to Alaska in a couple weeks.  If you have any ship specific questions, I’d be happy to report back.

Thank you so much! We just, ironically, took Quantum to Alaska in July and we almost took Zuiderdam then. They were about the same price and we chose Quantum for the kids because we were worried about not being able to be outside as much as we usually are in Alaska. A couple questions:

- Is the New York Pizza on the buffet or at the Dive In restaurant? 

- What do guests do for entertainment in the evenings if there is not a show? 

- I would be interested to see if the Zuiderdam will feature any of the following on your Alaska trip that I have seen in past daily planners: A comedian, cooking demonstration, BBC in Concert, and any live singing in the main theater (Cantare?). The last several reviews on CC have mentioned complaints about some of the normal features missing. Since this will be a short cruise, it is not a big concern but we do feel like that they should make a bit of an effort to provide something. 

1 hour ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

I would recommend the following Holland America's ships with your kids

Rotterdam

Nieuw Statendam

Konigsdam 

We only have a limited time frame after Christmas and this is the ship that works for that. 

HAL is -    smaller, quieter, classier than her rivals.   Food and service unparalleled.  It is NOT a floating busy resort.  You will have to decide if it fits your family.  The music is amazing, BB King awesome -  shows are ok and you can't part till 2 am.  

• Like 1

On 8/18/2022 at 6:47 AM, Homosassa said:

There is no comparison between MSC pizza and  HAL pizza.

HAL pizza could be straight out of the freezer section of the grocery store.

We all know, of course, how subjective food preferences and likes are, so this is merely your subjective opinion of HAL's pizza. There is also a huge difference between the pizza offered in the Lido buffet on HAL, as compared to the pizza from their 'NY Pizza' venue (on the ships that have it).

We love their NY Pizza offerings, and consider it some of the best pizza at sea.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2022 at 9:39 AM, Reds4life said:

Hello HAL cruisers,

We are considering an after Christmas cruise on Holland America. This would be our first time on the line and the ship we are looking at is the Zuiderdam. Our family is myself and my wife, in our 40s, two teens 18 and 17 and our 12 year old daughter. My mother that is 82 would also be with us. We have cruised with Royal Carribean and MSC previously and enjoyed parts of both cruise lines. So far, in my research, it appears that HAL has very good food offerings and lots of musical programming. We are curious about a few other aspects. Namely, daily and evening activities.

If you can sail on the new ships like Statendam or Rotterdam those ships would have the nicer musical venues.

But given you kids age, Think about the new Disney Wish with interesting venues and their great island called Castaway Cay.   Othewise, consider sailing out of Port Canaveral on the new Wonder of the Seas. Lot of places to eat and the 82 year old in your family would enjoy the Boardwalk and Central Park area.

18 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

If you can sail on the new ships like Statendam or Rotterdam those ships would have the nicer musical venues.

But given you kids age, Think about the new Disney Wish with interesting venues and their great island called Castaway Cay.   Othewise, consider sailing out of Port Canaveral on the new Wonder of the Seas. Lot of places to eat and the 82 year old in your family would enjoy the Boardwalk and Central Park area.

Sorry, but the post is specific to this ship in the given time frame. 

7 hours ago, Reds4life said:

- Is the New York Pizza on the buffet or at the Dive In restaurant? 

Unfortunately, Zuiderdam does not have the NY pizza venue. You will be relegated to the Lido buffet line for pizza on this ship. 😏

On 8/18/2022 at 7:39 AM, Reds4life said:

Hello HAL cruisers,

We are considering an after Christmas cruise on Holland America.

Let’s be positive here.:classic_rolleyes:

The cruise you are thinking about is just a modest priced, quick long-weekend trip. Plus, it’s a multi-generational trip, where everyone is out to enjoy each others company.

You start with a sea day, which let’s you get familiar with a new ship/cruise line. Then you’re in Amber Cove for an overnight stop. You have the day to go ashore, then it’s New Years Eve, when you’ll likely find lots of special activities happening. Then you have a stop in Half Moon Cove to enjoy the beach  and then, unfortunately, your cruise is over at 7am the next morning - and all you'll have left is a lot of pleasant memories.😎

If you all go with a positive frame of mind, you won’t have time to be bored – regardless of what ship you’re on.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

In case you didn't notice , there is a roll call for your 5-day cruise. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2808878-december-29-2022-5-days/

It seems most of the postings relate to people who are taking the 128-Day Grand World Voyage, which is the next Zuiderdam cruise. They are adding on the 5-day cruise, as they feel it would be less hassle flying in mid-week, rather then the holiday long-weekend.

On 8/18/2022 at 10:29 AM, *Miss G* said:

There will be select movies every evening on the large *outdoor screen (with wings, popcorn, and blankets) on the Pinnacle-class ships.  (“Outdoor” as in the Lido pool with covered retractable glass ceiling.)

There is no outdoor movie screen on the Zuiderdam.  The TV has on demand movies but no movies I would consider “new”

On 8/18/2022 at 2:38 PM, Reds4life said:

saw that they have cooking demonstrations. Any info on those?

That is a thing of the past.  There were no cooking demonstrations on the Zuiderdam during my 2 week cruise in February.

You could search this site for “Where & When” the daily program of activities for a cruise with similar ports that you are considering.

50 minutes ago, 0106 said:

There is no outdoor movie screen on the Zuiderdam.  The TV has on demand movies but no movies I would consider “new”

Most of them are relatively new.

50 minutes ago, 0106 said:

That is a thing of the past.  There were no cooking demonstrations on the Zuiderdam during my 2 week cruise in February.

You could search this site for “Where & When” the daily program of activities for a cruise with similar ports that you are considering.

We have had cooking demonstrations on every one of our recent sailings.

17 hours ago, GeorgeCharlie said:

Let’s be positive here.:classic_rolleyes:

The cruise you are thinking about is just a modest priced, quick long-weekend trip. Plus, it’s a multi-generational trip, where everyone is out to enjoy each others company.

You start with a sea day, which let’s you get familiar with a new ship/cruise line. Then you’re in Amber Cove for an overnight stop. You have the day to go ashore, then it’s New Years Eve, when you’ll likely find lots of special activities happening. Then you have a stop in Half Moon Cove to enjoy the beach  and then, unfortunately, your cruise is over at 7am the next morning - and all you'll have left is a lot of pleasant memories.😎

If you all go with a positive frame of mind, you won’t have time to be bored – regardless of what ship you’re on.

Yes, a positive frame of mind will go a long way to enjoying a cruise. Conversely, if you go with a negative frame of mind, the chances are you will not enjoy the cruise as much as you should.

• Like 1

Question about the Amber Cove port...it says Day 3 9am then Day 4 depart 2am. Does this mean Day 3 9am arrival and stay that entire day then ANOTHER whole day then leave at 2am? Or just arrive at 9am and leave at 2am basically 2 hours after midnight of Day 3? Then Day 4 is a sea day?

6 hours ago, oakridger said:

I just looked at your itinerary and the way I read it is it arrives on December 31st at 8am and stays there all day and leaves at 2am on January 1st.  So it's there for 18 hours. 

~Nancy

I wonder if that is to allow some onshore new year’s eve activities on Amber Cove.

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Many HAL cruisers consider stuff from the 1940s to be new 🙂

Were all the movies from the 1940s on your last cruise? If so, you must have hit the wrong button on your remote (it's called operator error).. 🤣

3 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

Were all the movies from the 1940s on your last cruise? If so, you must have hit the wrong button on your remote (it's called operator error).. 🤣

I was not just referring to movies.  But here is some honestly.  DW and I seldom to ever watch movies on a cruise, even very long cruises.  Why?  Why on earth would we sit in our cabin watching a small TV screen (with lousy sound system) when we can watch movies, anytime, at home on a large OLED TV with a decent multi-speaker sound system?    Put simply, we do not go on cruises to sit in our cabin watching TV or going to a lounge (or theater) to watch movies.

Hank

• Like 1