Fort lauderdale

Holly g

On 8/20/2022 at 3:45 PM, -Lew- said:

We like Hyatt Place Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port at 1851 SE 10th Avenue just off 17th Street.  It's close to restaurants, Publix, and Total Wine.  We always use our Chase Sapphire Reserve Rewards Points so have never paid to stay there.

We are staying there.  We did once before but got in late.   What family friendly restaurants nearby do you recommend - prefer no chain restaurants.   

8 hours ago, ssbeard1 said:

We are staying there.  We did once before but got in late.   What family friendly restaurants nearby do you recommend - prefer no chain restaurants.   

I can recommend the following...

New York Marina Deli

Boatyard

Kelly's Landing New England Seafood

Gilbert's 17th Street Grill

Joe's Cafe

59 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

I can recommend the following...

New York Marina Deli

Boatyard

Kelly's Landing New England Seafood

Gilbert's 17th Street Grill

Joe's Cafe

@ssbeard1also Einstein bagels for breakfast and Southport raw bar both walking distance. The boatyard is pricey I ate there this past January.

35 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

@ssbeard1also Einstein bagels for breakfast and Southport raw bar both walking distance. The boatyard is pricey I ate there this past January.

Hyatt Place Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port offers halfway decent bagels and cream cheese at their free breakfast.  Although Einstein Bagels are good the poster specified no chain restaurants

1 hour ago, -Lew- said:

Hyatt Place Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port offers halfway decent bagels and cream cheese at their free breakfast.  Although Einstein Bagels are good the poster specified no chain restaurants

@-Lew-would you recommend Hyatt place 1 night pre cruise? I need to book something soon for September and now it's a toss up between Renaissance and Hilton  both on 17th Street.  If the Hilton  was a decent price I'd stay there but don't want to pay the $30 resort fee although it has been renovated and is very nice. 

27 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

@-Lew-would you recommend Hyatt place 1 night pre cruise? I need to book something soon for September and now it's a toss up between Renaissance and Hilton  both on 17th Street.  If the Hilton  was a decent price I'd stay there but don't want to pay the $30 resort fee although it has been renovated and is very nice. 

Yes...we would definitely do a one-night stay there.   We've never been charged a resort fee and I don't see one mentioned on their website.  

They offer a shuttle from the airport and to the port for a fee.  If there are two of you, a taxi might be less expensive and more convenient.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

Yes...we would definitely do a one-night stay there.   We've never been charged a resort fee and I don't see one mentioned on their website.  

They offer a shuttle from the airport and to the port for a fee.  If there are two of you, a taxi might be less expensive and more convenient.

Hilton has always charged a $30 USD resort fee. Sometimes its added to your booking upfront so unless you break down the charges you will not see it.

8 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

Hilton has always charged a $30 USD resort fee. Sometimes its added to your booking upfront so unless you break down the charges you will not see it.

Hyatt does charge at some locations also.  The existence of a resort fee needs to be made clear at the time of booking or if can be contested.  If the hotel will not remove the charge your credit card financial institution will, but you need to request it.

1 minute ago, -Lew- said:

Hyatt does charge at some locations also.  The existence of a resort fee needs to be made clear at the time of booking or if can be contested.  If the hotel will not remove the charge your credit card financial institution will, but you need to request it.

Its always there even if I book on the Hilton site it states resort fee is payable at hotel or if I pay in CAD the charge is at exchange rate of 1.3022.  I stayed in January and had an excellent rate which included a hot breakfast for two people.  I went slightly over the $20 limit for a drink and a coffee so paid the difference which was minimal.  Having said all this I have a lot of points on my CC which I want to use by October as the bank is changing the terms of the card then and I will probably switch cards at that time. 

25 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

Its always there even if I book on the Hilton site it states resort fee is payable at hotel or if I pay in CAD the charge is at exchange rate of 1.3022.  I stayed in January and had an excellent rate which included a hot breakfast for two people.  I went slightly over the $20 limit for a drink and a coffee so paid the difference which was minimal.  Having said all this I have a lot of points on my CC which I want to use by October as the bank is changing the terms of the card then and I will probably switch cards at that time. 

Hope you don't mind me asking....I have a TD card and if they're changing the point system I'll cash in pretty quickly...almost 1/2 a million.  Do you have a different card?  The banks generally follow each other.

46 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Hope you don't mind me asking....I have a TD card and if they're changing the point system I'll cash in pretty quickly...almost 1/2 a million.  Do you have a different card?  The banks generally follow each other.

We use the Chase Sapphire Reserve card for all travel related purchases.  I could be wrong, but I don't believe it's available in Canada.

40 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

@Oceangoer2not at all. I have the TD first class infinite card and there are some changes coming effective October 30. The biggest one is the annual fee and it doesn't effect me, is going up to $139 from $120.  The points earned on their booking site is decreasing by 1 point to 8.  Gas, restaurant and grocery purchases are increasing 3 points so that's great if you eat out a lot.  All other purchases are decreasing by 1 point. I am going to compare this to the TD aeroplan card to see if it makes sense for me to switch. I fly Air Canada a lot and free first checked bag is appealing. I just returned from Amsterdam last week on AC and paid $155 for 1 piece of checked luggage. 

2 hours ago, drakes2 said:

@Oceangoer2not at all. I have the TD first class infinite card and there are some changes coming effective October 30. The biggest one is the annual fee and it doesn't effect me, is going up to $139 from $120.  The points earned on their booking site is decreasing by 1 point to 8.  Gas, restaurant and grocery purchases are increasing 3 points so that's great if you eat out a lot.  All other purchases are decreasing by 1 point. I am going to compare this to the TD aeroplan card to see if it makes sense for me to switch. I fly Air Canada a lot and free first checked bag is appealing. I just returned from Amsterdam last week on AC and paid $155 for 1 piece of checked luggage. 

Thanks for that.  I also have that card, but no notification from them of any changes.  I load everything (house utilities and expenses etc) on the card, in addition to any other allowable expenses, which gives me multi points a month.  I'll check their site.  I've been wondering how long they'd let me go accumulating so I hope there's no ceiling or time limit before they drop off.

7 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Thanks for that.  I also have that card, but no notification from them of any changes.  I load everything (house utilities and expenses etc) on the card, in addition to any other allowable expenses, which gives me multi points a month.  I'll check their site.  I've been wondering how long they'd let me go accumulating so I hope there's no ceiling or time limit before they drop off.

You can still continue collecting points but it won't be 3 points per dollar for everything. Best to log on to their site and compare. One thing for sure if you use current points to pay of CC you will lose some of the value. 

3 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

You can still continue collecting points but it won't be 3 points per dollar for everything. Best to log on to their site and compare. One thing for sure if you use current points to pay of CC you will lose some of the value. 

I just logged into the site....I don't think it's updated...all seems the same.  Not sure what you mean re 'pay of CC'?

1 hour ago, Oceangoer2 said:

I just logged into the site....I don't think it's updated...all seems the same.  Not sure what you mean re 'pay of CC'?

@Oceangoer2For those who collect points and don't travel or wish to buy merchandise with rewards points you can choose to redeem to pay down your credit card statement. 

Try Hyatt House Fort Lauderdale Airport - South & Cruise Port in Dania Beach. Walking distance to Dania Pointe, shopping complex with many good restaurants. Free airport pick up. Fee for shuttle to port. Free Breakfast. 

On 8/23/2022 at 10:01 AM, -Lew- said:

I am leaning toward Hyatt Place, just inquired and the Airport shuttle is free with an airport assessment is $2 pp, the shuttle to ship is $7 pp.  We've stayed in the Renaissance and ate at the Boatyard very good! 

Edited by BecciBoo

33 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

I am leaning toward Hyatt Place, just inquired and the Airport shuttle is free with an airport assessment is $2 pp, the shuttle to ship is $7 pp.  We've stayed in the Renaissance and ate at the Boatyard very good! 

I booked the Renaissance yesterday price dropped by $25 and I'm a marriott rewards member 

Hyatt Place of of 17th street is by far one of the cleanest and nicest hotels in the area and you can get a great price on it by getting a reservation from Valutrips.com. We are staying there in Sept next month pre and post cruise for $119 per night. Embassy Suites does not even come close.

http://www.valuetrips.com/AMS/FL/F17.htm

Lived in FLL for several years. While 17th street is convenient to the port it is seriously one of the most commercial/touristy places to stay in FLL...there are so many better locations and hotels. Look around Las Olas or Ocean Blvd...so much nicer location with many restaurants and bars and offers the real Fort Lauderdale vibe.

Edited by bajathree
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bajathree said:

Lived in FLL for several years. While 17th street is convenient to the port it is seriously one of the most commercial/touristy places to stay in FLL...there are so many better locations and hotels. Look around Las Olas or Ocean Blvd...so much nicer location with many restaurants and bars and offers the real Fort Lauderdale vibe.

What is your feel for the Hilton Marina?  Stayed there often but not since renovation.  I understand there's no restaurant as they had in the past for b'fast?  If you know, I'd appreciate your opinion.

5 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

What is your feel for the Hilton Marina?  Stayed there often but not since renovation.  I understand there's no restaurant as they had in the past for b'fast?  If you know, I'd appreciate your opinion.

Haven't stayed or visited Hilton Marina for a few years. I think it's OK for a 1 night pre or post cruise but if anything longer than that it wouldn't be big on my list.