GTY Rooms

I have an Ocean View GTY room booked on our cruise in a little over 2 months. When I check Royal Caribbean to do a mock booking of our cruise to see how many ocean view rooms are still available I see there is 1 ocean view and 1 spacious ocean view room left. If hypothetically both of those rooms get booked before the cruise would this mean I would be moving up to a balcony room as there are plenty of balcony options still available. 

10 minutes ago, RandomUser123 said:

I have an Ocean View GTY room booked on our cruise in a little over 2 months. When I check Royal Caribbean to do a mock booking of our cruise to see how many ocean view rooms are still available I see there is 1 ocean view and 1 spacious ocean view room left. If hypothetically both of those rooms get booked before the cruise would this mean I would be moving up to a balcony room as there are plenty of balcony options still available. 

In all likelihood there are many Oceanview rooms held back thst are not shown to fulfill the guarantee cabins booked. 

4 minutes ago, RandomUser123 said:

It is not that straightforward.  There may be more OV cabins you cannot see.  There can be shadow inventory the cruiseline does not show anyone.  There may be available cabins TA can see but you cannot.  Some cabins may be held for different numbers of passengers (for example, I am waiting for a gty balcony for 2; there have been few or none of those for a while yet plenty if I enter 3 guests; they may soon give me one of those as cruise is 7 days out).  Some people in OV’s now may decide to pay the difference and get a balcony if the price ever looks good to them, opening up OV cabins.  And then there is RoyalUp, where somebody in an OV bids and gets a better cabin, opening up an OV cabin.

So, long story short, if you booked an OV gty, the odds are you will get an OV.

A GTY is just that, guarantee of the OV cabin. The location and type of OV category is up to the cruise line.

Why would you think you could get a balcony you didn't pay for? As others have said, the inventory showing is not exact. They hold back cabins to fulfill the guarantee cabins, Royal Up  and other reasons.

If you want a balcony, see if it makes sense to you financially, to just pay the difference or try to bid on Royal Up. 

Booked an XB (balcony guarantee) on Ovation in 6 weeks - there were no 1E or 2E obstructed balcony cabins showing in inventory. There is availability showing in all categories 4D up to 2C - so was encouraged.

Yesterday assigned to a 2E obstructed - and of course forward etc etc - had hoped that being Diamond Plus would have helped, have never done a guarantee before, and it did not - but the rate was so much lower than all the others - keeping the good outlook - on the ship!

We  booked an XB Balcony Guarantee on the Serenade 14 night TA for  next fall at a very good price as no balconies were available. Royal canceled that cruise and we choose the option to take the  17 night Jewel TA in late August next year at the same price so I figure our really good price got even better. So whatever we get I am sure we will be fine with.

• Like 1

In all our cruises with Royal on three separate occasions we’ve took a chance with a stateroom guarantee.

Twice we were given exactly as booked.

But once many years ago we booked a balcony guarantee and were upgraded to a junior suite.

This was on Splendour of the Seas sailing from Venice.

On a ship like Quantum class there are not very many OV cabins compared to balcony cabins.  I lucked out with an OV GTY and got a balcony.

On other classes there are many more OV cabins so it's more likely you'll get exactly what you booked.

11 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

We booked a GTY oceanview one time. We got a room right over the anchor chain. Will never book a GTY again 🙂

That would be memorable cabin as the noise and vibration are pronounced even for those further from the anchor.  It’s been a while since I’ve heard it though as more ships use GPS positioning systems rather than dropping anchor.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

We booked a GTY oceanview one time. We got a room right over the anchor chain. Will never book a GTY again 🙂

In general, I like to avoid far forward cabins due to possible motion issues.  The anchor would be another reason if the sailing includes tender ports.

I suppose anything is possible but I feel like the Royal Up program makes upgrading to a category outside of your GTY pretty unlikely. We've done 2 GTY rooms in the past. First one was a Balcony GTY in 2016, received a balcony. Second was a Suite GTY in 2017, ended up in a Grand Suite which was extremely special and I suspect will never happen again 😂

3 minutes ago, GetToLivin said:

I suppose anything is possible but I feel like the Royal Up program makes upgrading to a category outside of your GTY pretty unlikely.

Booking a GTY has no affect on the upgrade chances- empty inventory does.