Think I have fallen out of love with Princess

windsurferfirst

After 11 cruises with Princess I think I may have reached the end of the road with them. I have done 4 cruises since the start up. July 2021 a 4 day cruise to know where. It wasn't perfect but we were just happy to be back on board. The staff tried their hardest as they always do on all ships.The staff are the best. They work hard and always with a smile on their faces.  October 2021 Things were slightly better but hey no complaints these were tough time and once again happy to be back on board. April 2022 A really lovely cruise to Norway things a whole lot better and we were very happy. August 2022 Athens to Barcelona on Regal my all time favourite ship.This started really bad as due to a computer hitch somewhere we were 2.5 hours checking . The heat was horrendous and despite me calling Princess a number of time pre cruise to say I thought the booking was messed up they told me it wasn't. We didn't get our medallions until Sunday and even then mine had the wrong name on it!!! Its was very, very obvious how Princess were nickel and diming just about everything We had the drinks package but the wines available on the list were very, very limited. Only able to get into the MDR once.The ship was at capacity and the dining rooms couldn't cope.We were constantly told to come back in an hour. The menu was very limited in both MDR and Sabatini's in the past the menus have been really good, not so much anymore. Entertainment left a lot to be desired Bravo again!! first saw this on the Regal in Feb 2019 and they are still turning it out. - enough already! Don't start me on the sun bed hoggers. Why are people so selfish to hog beds from 7 am and not even sit on them at all?.

So all in all I think the love affair with Princess is over. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, ChC said:

My only grievance about Princess, and have not set afoot for few years now, is due to the price discrimination against different regions. For instance, when a cruise is sold at a price of USD$1200 in US market, the British Price is maybe at GBP£1390-1990 (USD$1600-2100). Both tax included and standard fares. This practice is very much common until recently, due to fall of British Pounds, the price is now almost similar. What is worse, Princess geo-lock their websites, so someone from UK can not see the US site unless using VPN. Thank goodness for online agencies that displays the fares for comparison. Whereas a major competitor have no problem for people from different countries to see the fares from another market and even book it. And the price is almost universal (except for Australian market for another reason). So I stick to their competitor and have not cruised with Princess for years. 

I totally agree. I first cruised with Princess when I lived in Canada. I was shocked when I cam back to England saw how much we were charged that North America. Plus they get more  on board credit than the UK market.

3 hours ago, windsurferfirst said:

After 11 cruises with Princess I think I may have reached the end of the road with them. I have done 4 cruises since the start up. July 2021 a 4 day cruise to know where. It wasn't perfect but we were just happy to be back on board. The staff tried their hardest as they always do on all ships.The staff are the best. They work hard and always with a smile on their faces.  October 2021 Things were slightly better but hey no complaints these were tough time and once again happy to be back on board. April 2022 A really lovely cruise to Norway things a whole lot better and we were very happy. August 2022 Athens to Barcelona on Regal my all time favourite ship.This started really bad as due to a computer hitch somewhere we were 2.5 hours checking . The heat was horrendous and despite me calling Princess a number of time pre cruise to say I thought the booking was messed up they told me it wasn't. We didn't get our medallions until Sunday and even then mine had the wrong name on it!!! Its was very, very obvious how Princess were nickel and diming just about everything We had the drinks package but the wines available on the list were very, very limited. Only able to get into the MDR once.The ship was at capacity and the dining rooms couldn't cope.We were constantly told to come back in an hour. The menu was very limited in both MDR and Sabatini's in the past the menus have been really good, not so much anymore. Entertainment left a lot to be desired Bravo again!! first saw this on the Regal in Feb 2019 and they are still turning it out. - enough already! Don't start me on the sun bed hoggers. Why are people so selfish to hog beds from 7 am and not even sit on them at all?.

Sounds like very little went right for you and the cruise did not meet your expectations.

Just goes to show that one person's cruise from hell wouldn't even be noticed by some.  After 50-some cruises, I take a more relaxed approach.   I avoid over-amplified production shows, evening meals in the MDR, and the Melanoma Deck.  If the herd is headed one direction, I try to see what's in the other.  If a problem arises, I start at the guest relations desk with a smile, explain my concern, and ask what the person can do for me.

For me, once the ship pushes away from the dock, I leave the world behind.  An early morning coffee to watch the sunrise, breakfast and lunch in the MDR, a good book and a shady spot on the promenade, a wee dram or three in the evening and I'm good.

Any questions?  See my signature line below.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Sounds like very little went right for you and the cruise did not meet your expectations.

Just goes to show that one person's cruise from hell wouldn't even be noticed by some.  After 50-some cruises, I take a more relaxed approach.   I avoid over-amplified production shows, evening meals in the MDR, and the Melanoma Deck.  If the herd is headed one direction, I try to see what's in the other.  If a problem arises, I start at the guest relations desk with a smile, explain my concern, and ask what the person can do for me.

For me, once the ship pushes away from the dock, I leave the world behind.  An early morning coffee to watch the sunrise, breakfast and lunch in the MDR, a good book and a shady spot on the promenade, a wee dram or three in the evening and I'm good.

Any questions?  See my signature line below.

So you don't attend any production shows, eat any dinner meals in the DR and avoid using the pools.

Why bother to cruise at all? 

• Like 2

Our experience on Regal last month seems at odds with yours. We got our table in the Allegro restaurant every time at 8 pm and with the same waiter. Winston the restaurant manager was an absolute star.

Sun beds on sea days were not an issue either but you had to search free ones out. We never try for ones by the pools but everywhere else they could be found. Ones in the shade were obviously harder to find.

I agree about Sabatini's. it was not so good the second time we went and the Crown Grill service was painfully slow on the last evening of our cruise.

We were however happy with the Pinot, S/Blanc and Merlot wines and therefore pleased with the drinks package.

My only gripe was the ubiquitous TV film crew. What an effing pain they became!

• Like 3

It sounds like only one actually bad cruise. I think I would give it a few more before giving up - but to each his own of course. It is hard to imagine not getting into the dining room, that would definitely upset me. So you had to have dinner in the buffet? Princess, please give me back traditional dining!

• Like 4

My take about not eating in the DR is possibly because the OP arrived at the most busiest time on the evening & was told there would be a wait. (which they weren't willing to do)

This seems to be common lately as the ships are beginning to fill up without having a full crew to assist people. 

This could have been easily solved by slightly adjusting their arrival for dinner. 

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

So you don't attend any production shows, eat any dinner meals in the DR and avoid using the pools.

We don’t attend production shows, occasionally eat in the MDR and, having had melanoma, avoid pool sun decks.  And yet, we’ve been on 9 cruises this past year and have enjoyed all of them.

The nice thing about cruising?  Different strokes for different folks. What works for you may not work for me on a cruise!  To each her/his/their own!  

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, disneyochem said:

We don’t attend production shows, occasionally eat in the MDR and, having had melanoma, avoid pool sun decks.  And yet, we’ve been on 9 cruises this past year and have enjoyed all of them.

The nice thing about cruising?  Different strokes for different folks. What works for you may not work for me on a cruise!  To each her/his/their own!  

Well put!

Cheers

• Like 5

Esprit, I am glad to hear about your experience dining, and the Allegro dining room.

On our last cruise, it was hardly used, due to bit of inconvenience to access.  The last server we had there was really good, and so friendly.

I don't know if some of the same staff will be onboard, but I will make a note to look for Winston!!

PS:  It looks like ships tried to go full capacity before they were well equipped and staffed.   I am sure that this caused issues for a lot of guests.   But, I wouldn't assume that those cruises were the new Princess.

Did they not cancel some sailings going forward, as I think they will be sending those staff to help service the other ships.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Totally agree.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I wish Princess management would empower staff to enforce the rules, e.g., chair hogs, masks, etc. without fear of passenger complaints and losing their job. 

I had a long conversation with a member of senior management last week and this was among the improvements we discussed. 

• Like 5

Of course all cruisers are different!

But, I am not going to discount this posters complaints.  There seem to be valid issues.

I have seen other comments about these kinds of issue, not being able to be served in MDR, etc..

These seem to be related to staffing issues, and Princess. (other lines as well) trying to go back to full capacity without enough staffing.

Sailings on the Diamond have been cancelled.  And, now some are wondering if other ships could be cancelled or limited in capacity.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, windsurferfirst said:

After 11 cruises with Princess I think I may have reached the end of the road with them.

Welcome to the club.

We have one booking left with Princess, as we weren't about to walk away from some hefty future cruise credits.

If the on board experience is anything like our sailing last April, this could very well be the last time we sail with Princess until things change.

The Little Mary Sunshines should be around any second to tell you how fabulous everything is when they sail. Don't let them get to you, they are in their own little world.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

We don't use the pools. I do use the hot tubs. We don't go to the over amplified production shows. We spend the time in Crooners or the Piazza. We have early dining in the MDR after a few glasses of wine in the Platinum/Elite Lounge. We still bother to cruise. Have 4 Princess cruises and 1 NCL cruise booked. Avoiding the Melanoma Deck didn't help us. My DW still tested positive for Covid the last day of the cruise, Just got back to the states after 10 days of isolation and quarantine. Still like Princess, especially after looking at my recent booking with NCL and seeing how much I am going to be nickel and dimed on that cruise.

Edited by billco
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Bobbiegentry said:

I had a long conversation with a member of senior management last week and this was among the improvements we discussed. 

The abandoned lounger conversation has been ongoing for over 25 years!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, PRINCESS Sweet Pea said:

PS:  It looks like ships tried to go full capacity before they were well equipped and staffed.   I am sure that this caused issues for a lot of guests.   But, I wouldn't assume that those cruises were the new Princess.

This does seem to be the case on the ships that had problems.  Hopefully when the summer surge dies down next month things will improve.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Welcome to the club.

We have one booking left with Princess, as we weren't about to walk away from some hefty future cruise credits.

If the on board experience is anything like our sailing last April, this could very well be the last time we sail with Princess until things change.

The Little Mary Sunshines should be around any second to tell you how fabulous everything is when they sail. Don't let them get to you, they are in their own little world.

Or you could be in your own little world.

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

I am sorry to hear about your bad cruise. Not necessarily an excuse, but I wanted to point out that most of the senior management stuff from Regal (also my favorite ship!) is now on Discovery princess, including captain, hotel director, interior services director (might be wrong title, his name is Constantin and he is in charge of the entire interior services), customer services senior reps, etc. I know that Ralph (hotel director) is heading back in Sept/Oct. We were just on Discovery and I was surprised at how much I immediately loved it until I met the senior crew. They brought the vibe from my favorite Regal 🙂

Edited by nattie
  • Like 1

Only able to get into the MDR once.The ship was at capacity and the dining rooms couldn't cope.We were constantly told to come back in an hour. The menu was very limited in both MDR and Sabatini's in the past the menus have been really good, not so much anymore. 

Don't start me on the sun bed hoggers. Why are people so selfish to hog beds from 7 am and not even sit on them at all?.

You might want to consider that you may find that other lines equally frustrating. Waits for non-reserved dining and hogging of sun beds are pretty universal complaints about cruise lines comparable to Princess. That said, you might as well try a few to see if you are happier.

• Like 3