Verizon vs T-Mobile for Cruise in Europe

seaventuregal

Just be careful if using a US carrier and buying a phone from the same carrier.  The phone will be locked and you will not be able to use an EU or other sim card.

T Mobile is OK.  They do throttle your speeds.  Most place to 3G and some to 2G. 

I can't speak to Greece or mainland Europe since pre-pandemic, but my husband did find his Verizon cell phone less useful on our recent North Atlantic sailing than the kids and I did our T-Mobile coverage.

In Iceland and Greenland, T-Mobile offered better coverage (in our August 2022 experience.) We also find the plans (i.e., process of informing the carrier of travel and getting coverage) simpler and cheaper with T-Mobile.

We are big fans to T-Mobile (it simply works everywhere) since being turned on to that carrier by some HAL crew members.  Unlike Verizon, T-Mobile does not require any additional daily charges (although you do pay 25 cents/min for phone calls outside of North America).  Unlike with getting a local Sim, folks can call or text us on our T-Mobile phone no matter where we are located and it works.   If we want higher 4G or LTE speed we can simply pay $5 (per day) or $50 per month..when we deem the extra speed necessary.  For us, the throtttled down speeds in some countries (2G) is more than adequate for most purposes.  We are Grandfathered into their old Senior Plan which costs us $50 per month (total including taxes and fees) for two lines with unlimited everything.

Hank

3 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Our regular T Mobile plan works great in Europe - service is quite good, costs very reasonable, texts free, etc. 

Great to hear!   We are switching from Verizon to T-Mobile next week and saving about $600 per year and what seems like better service.

You might even want to hold off a few  of weeks because the new iPhone will be announced about September 13 if it holds true to past announcements. They give a great deal on a new phone for making the switch so don’t pass that up.  Get the 55+ discount and if applicable, a military discount too. The family plan includes up to 5 lines so we have a couple grandsons hooked in for  $10 each so they appreciate the bargain. 
Mauibabes

10 hours ago, mauibabes said:

You might even want to hold off a few  of weeks because the new iPhone will be announced about September 13 if it holds true to past announcements. They give a great deal on a new phone for making the switch so don’t pass that up.  Get the 55+ discount and if applicable, a military discount too. The family plan includes up to 5 lines so we have a couple grandsons hooked in for  $10 each so they appreciate the bargain. 
Mauibabes

Thanks for the info.   We may hold off until the new iPhone is available.   I have an iPhone 11 now which I like very much.

I haven't seen it mentioned here but may have missed it. For those with the Magenta Max do you have a Hotspot option? We sometimes need to connect a computer or Ipad to data, and would miss this option. Everything else looks good. 

23 minutes ago, ORV said:

I haven't seen it mentioned here but may have missed it. For those with the Magenta Max do you have a Hotspot option? We sometimes need to connect a computer or Ipad to data, and would miss this option. Everything else looks good. 

this is the hot spot data you receive with the plan: 

• 40GB of high-speed smartphone mobile hotspot data (and unlimited 3G speeds after that) 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, ORV said:

Yes I can tether my iPad and/or mac to my Magenta iPhone.  No extra charge.  Up to 10 devices.  One example is We had a power failure at the house  My iMac is on a UPS.  I switched the Wifi connection on the iMac to my cell phone and was able to do a few things before the UPS drained to zero.

The wife also used the iPad in the car tethering to her phone while we are on long day trips.   This is one reason I don't pay for the cellular option on my tablets.

I haven't tried it but I wonder if its a way around the single login on Oceania by tethering to the phone which then uses the ships Wifi.

Edited by zalusky
  • Thanks 1

We switched from Verizon to T-Mobile in April and have since taken three European cruises:  Tulip Time river cruise in Holland and Belgium; Seine river cruise in France; and Baltic cruise from Copenhagen through Poland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Finland to Sweden.  T-Mobile Magenta Max worked flawlessly in all those areas – so much so that I never used the free onboard wifi because my phone served as a fast hot spot for my computer.  Based on other comments about Magenta having slow data speeds, I'd say the small extra cost for Magenta Max is worth every penny.

• 2 weeks later...

If you use an iPhone and looking to make a “carrier” move, now is the time. The 14 and SE are released for sale and T Mobile has their offers out to make a switch.  Free to 50% or $700 or more off with monthly bill credits and lots of inclusions with Magenta Max package. Check it out and get your new phone ordered. We pick up DW’s new Purple iPhone 14 Pro on the 17th at our local Apple store. Electing for delivery from Apple was into mid October and we are traveling then so store pick up was the only answer to have it for our trip. 
I think the move to T Mobile will be very beneficial for virtually all based on the comments from users in this post.  IMHO, it is like those of you making the move to Oceania (T Mobile) from Princess (Verizon) and Celebrity (ATT). Got to get a slight tweak in 🤪👍
Mauibabes

I travel internationally a lot.  I strongly recommend Google Fi.  It has the highest speed, best coverage of an US carrier around the globe.  If you are a light data user, the flex plan might be  best for you.  It works best with android phones, but works with most phones.

I have Verizon prepaid ($25.00 per month) and I used it on a cruise to Canada, Greenland and Iceland.  ON board the ship I used the Verizon Wifi calling through the ships Wifi for outbound and inbound calls and some Facetime.   On land  I switched to local Cell Service and was charged $10. per day.  All very convenient and solid.

1 hour ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

I have Verizon prepaid ($25.00 per month) and I used it on a cruise to Canada, Greenland and Iceland.  ON board the ship I used the Verizon Wifi calling through the ships Wifi for outbound and inbound calls and some Facetime.   On land  I switched to local Cell Service and was charged $10. per day.  All very convenient and solid.

How do you set up the Verizon Wifi calling on the ship?  Is there a charge by Verizon to use wifi calling onboard?  Thank you!

8 minutes ago, Twiga said:

1. How do you set up the Verizon Wifi calling on the ship?

2. Is there a charge by Verizon to use wifi calling onboard?  Thank you!

1. Depends on the brand and model of your phone.

2. No, as long you are sending/receiving calls/texts back/from the US.  International calls placed over WiFi calling are charged at Verizon's standard international rates.

Edited by 1985rz1

I am currently on Marina in the Baltic and have had the very inexpensive senior plan from T-Mobile for years. With separate business phones i have had Verizon and ATT in the past and found both services far more expensive and far more complicated internationally than our person T-Mobile service. Never tried Googlefi.

As I write  this we have just left Oslo where T-Moble provide 5GB on our iPhone and are now passing by Copenhagen. Every place we go we get a free automatic text message from T-Mobile telling us where we are, confirming 5GB speed and confirming .25 cents per minute long distance. We also have automatic Wi-Fi calling while on our ship for free on Oceania’s free internet that in almost every case works very well. We are still sold on T-Mobile and like Mauibabes just ordered the new IPhone 14 with T-Mobile.

14 minutes ago, HiFi43 said:

I am currently on Marina in the Baltic and have had the very inexpensive senior plan from T-Mobile for years. With separate business phones i have had Verizon and ATT in the past and found both services far more expensive and far more complicated internationally than our person T-Mobile service. Never tried Googlefi.

As I write  this we have just left Oslo where T-Moble provide 5GB on our iPhone and are now passing by Copenhagen. Every place we go we get a free automatic text message from T-Mobile telling us where we are, confirming 5GB speed and confirming .25 cents per minute long distance. We also have automatic Wi-Fi calling while on our ship for free on Oceania’s free internet that in almost every case works very well. We are still sold on T-Mobile and like Mauibabes just ordered the new IPhone 14 with T-Mobile.

We also are on the T-mobile 55 Max plan and purchased an additional data plan for our upcoming trip. T-mobile advised us to make sure we turned off "Roaming". We would prefer to use hot spots when possible. Any other tips are welcome. Thank you

On 9/10/2022 at 11:17 AM, piedpiper99 said:

I travel internationally a lot.  I strongly recommend Google Fi.  It has the highest speed, best coverage of an US carrier around the globe.  If you are a light data user, the flex plan might be  best for you.  It works best with android phones, but works with most phones.

An interesting provider.  My understanding is that when you use Google Fi in Europe it uses Deutsche Telecom towers and system which just happens to be who owns T-Mobile.  So I guess you could make a case for whichever program (T-Mobile or Google Fi) is the best deal.   The downside of Google Fi is that they do not have or own their own network and simply contract with other cell providers.  That does leave them very vulnerable to the whims of the major carriers who have their own cell infrastructure.

Hank

9 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

An interesting provider.  My understanding is that when you use Google Fi in Europe it uses Deutsche Telecom towers and system which just happens to be who owns T-Mobile.  So I guess you could make a case for whichever program (T-Mobile or Google Fi) is the best deal.   The downside of Google Fi is that they do not have or own their own network and simply contract with other cell providers.  That does leave them very vulnerable to the whims of the major carriers who have their own cell infrastructure.

Hank

And I don't trust Google with my personal info, which a cell plan like this gives them complete access to...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

An interesting provider.  My understanding is that when you use Google Fi in Europe it uses Deutsche Telecom towers

Before I switched I was with T-Mobile a long time.  Here is the primary difference, you will get faster speeds with GoogleFi. Your US plan all its features including "hotspot" and your 4g speeds just work internationally. T-mobile's "free" international speed is 3g. Note: GoogleFi have one plan that does NOT include international roaming.  The cheapest - AKA Flex  and the most expensive googlefi plan include international roaming.

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

And I don't trust Google with my personal info, which a cell plan like this gives them complete access to...

I had not even thought about that issue.  I avoid the Google search engine like the plague (use duckduckgo).  Am not paranoid but somewhat guarded when it comes to a few types of software such as Google and TicTok.  Great point.

Hank

I noted someone claiming that T-Mobile lowers your speed to 2G. That used to occur but I’ve not seen it for a while. We are now at 5G almost everywhere and I’m on the senior plan. I’m on Marina now and here is what the T-Mobile text messages that are automatically sent to you as you enter a new country look like;

T-Mobile: Welcome to Estonia! Your plan includes coverage that gives you 5GB/mo. of high-speed data On Us, plus unlimited texts at no extra cost. Calls are at $0.25/min. Enjoy your stay!