Vax date

mitz18

I apologize if this has been asked/answered but search was not helpful.  In completing the documents, the health question wants the date of last vaccination.  I presume this indeed the last "VAX" date and not the date of any "BOOSTER" received, but curious if anyone knows for sure.  TIA

My last was 11 months ago (booster) which assume means I'm past my sell by date for the COVID vaccine and effectively no longer considered protected?

Nothing I can do to change that since a further booster isn't available (UK) unless considered vulnerable or over 65. It does rather send a mixed message regarding infections and protection. I'm assuming in protecting me, it protects others. (Which with an out of date certificate, means I'm no different to someone who wasn't vaccinated in the first place.) Which with that in mind, makes some very searching questions over the whole thing.

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The booster never expires.  You are still considered fully vaxxed and up to date.

So no need for more than the 2 initial injections and booster then?

There's a mixed message there somehow! I know of some who've had 3 boosters now.

I know there had been countries (Austria and Croatia for example) who originally stated if 270 has expired since your booster, you are considered to be non vaccinated. That's been removed (and actually gone further.... No one even needs any vaccination at all now!)

I guess the question back, is if the booster is non expiry, why further boosters? I'll concede for elderly and vulnerable, as a precaution it's reasonable. To everyone else though, would you consider someone who's had their 3rd booster less susceptible to someone who has their 1st and only booster a year ago.... Or 2 years ago... Or....

Just saying it's a mixed message. I'm certainly not anti Vax (I actually phoned last week to require on a 2nd booster as 11 months had passed and told I couldn't get one.) Is there a science to the decisions? Or does it all boil down to cost? Is it needed or is it not needed? Does a booster really not expire?

I appreciate this has probably strayed into COVID discussion and apologise if it has, but with some cruise lines now opening up to non vaccinated and no test needed, I think my questions are with merit, particularly since when I had it in May, I had it worse than my wife who had zero symptoms. I sneezed at least a dozen times. I suspect that's the reason 2nd boosters are not being offered in the UK for under 65s, in much the same way age is a factor for the annual flu jabs. ie your body can cope

I suspect the moral of my ramble is it the case we are seemingly over it? (Apart from where money can be made via hotel quarantine.) At least Ecuador has reduced it's instruction, down from 14 days (in January) to 7 days.

No soap box. I'll comply with whatever I'm told.  My only challenge is the reality of a "forever" single booster.

Les I am in the same boat - November was my last booster but then I look at my smallpox vax which I must have had 60+ years ago and presumably they are still effective.    So who knows.

My biggest problem has been getting a test - after much filling in of forms online and eventually being directed to a Boots website no appointments available.     Upon further investigation Boots don't do them any more!!!!      After that on to Lloyds Pharmacy - nothing within in a 50 mile radius.

Eventually I did find a Dam Health but that is nearly 50 miles away - I just don't need to be doing a 100 mile round trip the day before we go to Southampton.    But that is what we have to do.

5 hours ago, les37b said:

My last was 11 months ago (booster) which assume means I'm past my sell by date for the COVID vaccine and effectively no longer considered protected?

Nothing I can do to change that since a further booster isn't available (UK) unless considered vulnerable or over 65. It does rather send a mixed message regarding infections and protection. I'm assuming in protecting me, it protects others. (Which with an out of date certificate, means I'm no different to someone who wasn't vaccinated in the first place.) Which with that in mind, makes some very searching questions over the whole thing.

Les - the UK government recently announced that an enlarged group of people - which includes over 50's - will be offered the next booster in the Autumn - beginning next week.  The vaccination will also be the recently approved Moderna 'cover all bases' vaccination.

The BBC page from yesterday best explains all.      

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55045639

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mw8811 said:

Les I am in the same boat - November was my last booster but then I look at my smallpox vax which I must have had 60+ years ago and presumably they are still effective.    So who knows.

My biggest problem has been getting a test - after much filling in of forms online and eventually being directed to a Boots website no appointments available.     Upon further investigation Boots don't do them any more!!!!      After that on to Lloyds Pharmacy - nothing within in a 50 mile radius.

Eventually I did find a Dam Health but that is nearly 50 miles away - I just don't need to be doing a 100 mile round trip the day before we go to Southampton.    But that is what we have to do.

We had a similar issue to you - cruising 2 weeks today. Only yesterday a Lloyds pharmacy cancelled our planned test without reason and our next nearest alternatives are very inconvenient.

HOWEVER - also yesterday Silversea sent us an email outlining the pre embarkation requirements, including this as an acceptable proof of test   ..

• A self-test at home, verified by a third party (telehealth provider, pharmacy or laboratory).
    • The Certificate must contain the guest's name (as shown on the cruise ticket), as well as the date of test, and result. You must provide a digital or printed proof upon embarkation.
    • Important: self-test at home kits cannot be verified by a friend or family member

There are plenty of operators that are providing this service. We've ordered 3, arriving in the coming days. One we will use to do a 'dummy run' next week then carry out the real thing a couple of days before our cruise. 

It seems pretty straightforward - and inexpensive. 

26 minutes ago, machotspur said:

We had a similar issue to you - cruising 2 weeks today. Only yesterday a Lloyds pharmacy cancelled our planned test without reason and our next nearest alternatives are very inconvenient.

HOWEVER - also yesterday Silversea sent us an email outlining the pre embarkation requirements, including this as an acceptable proof of test   ..

• A self-test at home, verified by a third party (telehealth provider, pharmacy or laboratory).
    • The Certificate must contain the guest's name (as shown on the cruise ticket), as well as the date of test, and result. You must provide a digital or printed proof upon embarkation.
    • Important: self-test at home kits cannot be verified by a friend or family member

There are plenty of operators that are providing this service. We've ordered 3, arriving in the coming days. One we will use to do a 'dummy run' next week then carry out the real thing a couple of days before our cruise. 

It seems pretty straightforward - and inexpensive. 

I assume you're on the Moon on 9th.     I did see that but don't have much confidence in doing it myself!    It would still mean doing it over the internet which again I don't have much confidence in - hopefully Dam Health will work and I'll just have to be exceptionally well organized!

21 minutes ago, mw8811 said:

I assume you're on the Moon on 9th.     I did see that but don't have much confidence in doing it myself!    It would still mean doing it over the internet which again I don't have much confidence in - hopefully Dam Health will work and I'll just have to be exceptionally well organized!

Yes - we are indeed on Moon on 9th. I can understand your anxiety about using an internet based remote service. Even if you have to drive to Wolverhampton or wherever at least you should have peace of mind once there. We too will be using the DAM Health service if the at home test fails for whatever reason. Good luck !     

2 minutes ago, mw8811 said:

Yes we do have to go the other side of Wolverhampton (not a part of the world I know!).    Oh well an adventure.   Good luck with your tests too.

The exotic places we get to when involved in a Silversea cruise .... 🤣😉  

2 hours ago, machotspur said:

The exotic places we get to when involved in a Silversea cruise .... 🤣😉  

I'll have to tell the owner of our little paper shop tomorrow morning that he lives in an exotic place!!!    For some reason he lives over that way and drives 50 mins every day..........

It was so much easier last year when we got on the Spirit - they tested us pierside!     We'll certainly have earned all those lovely drinks and American beef!!!

This from the SS website today

Voyages Departing On or After September 5, 2022

PRE-EMBARKATION TESTING REQUIREMENTS

Fully Vaccinated Guest Testing Requirements

Guests embarking on a Silversea vessel who are fully vaccinated are no longer required to present a negative PCR or Antigen test.

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, mw8811 said:

This from the SS website today

Voyages Departing On or After September 5, 2022

PRE-EMBARKATION TESTING REQUIREMENTS

Fully Vaccinated Guest Testing Requirements

Guests embarking on a Silversea vessel who are fully vaccinated are no longer required to present a negative PCR or Antigen test.

Thank you for this mw8811.

We scrape in by a few days as our cruise departs on 9th September ! We now have two 'home test' kits that we won't be using !

Shame - you will no longer be going on an adventure to Wolverhampton I guess !    

1 hour ago, machotspur said:

Thank you for this mw8811.

We scrape in by a few days as our cruise departs on 9th September ! We now have two 'home test' kits that we won't be using !

Shame - you will no longer be going on an adventure to Wolverhampton I guess !    

We'll see you on the ship!   

Such a relief!!!  My husband wanted to do a dry run so that we could see exactly where it was - needless to say I was resisting strongly!

Now I can spend the day getting things immaculate for our cat sitter! 

We are on the same cruise and we booked and paid for our tests on Friday so now have to try and cancel (the tests)

Looking at the temperatures in Norway today it looks a little cold at the moment !!

Edited by beaujolais
edit

2 minutes ago, beaujolais said:

We are on the same cruise and we booked and paid for our tests on Friday so now have to try and cancel (the tests)

Looking at the temperatures in Norway today it looks a little cold at the moment !!

22 minutes ago, mw8811 said:

We'll see you on the ship!   

Such a relief!!!  My husband wanted to do a dry run so that we could see exactly where it was - needless to say I was resisting strongly!

Now I can spend the day getting things immaculate for our cat sitter! 

Hi mw8811 & beaujolais

Good news on the pre cruise testing (I think !) I personally felt comfortable with it remaining. 

Good to hear that you are also joining Silver Moon at Southampton on 9th.

To avoid taking this thread off topic too much i've continued on the Silversea Silver Moon Roll Call page - hope to see you there !

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2862947-silver-moon-september-9southhampton/#comment-63477415

Have to say we had no problem taking a pre-cruise test but then again glad we don’t.  I was  researching having to get certified tests before our upcoming January cruise and while doable it was a bit of a pain.   My only caveat to the relaxation would obviously be a resurgence or new variant that would trigger reinstating tests.  I also think there is a high chance that here in the US the CDC will approve a third booster that Pfizer and Moderna supposedly will have ready in mid September.  Assume, because of our ages, we’d be eligible and could get those before our cruise.   

On 8/28/2022 at 3:03 PM, Randyk47 said:

Have to say we had no problem taking a pre-cruise test but then again glad we don’t.  I was  researching having to get certified tests before our upcoming January cruise and while doable it was a bit of a pain.   My only caveat to the relaxation would obviously be a resurgence or new variant that would trigger reinstating tests.  I also think there is a high chance that here in the US the CDC will approve a third booster that Pfizer and Moderna supposedly will have ready in mid September.  Assume, because of our ages, we’d be eligible and could get those before our cruise.   

Likewise, I have mixed feeling on the news. I do want to get back to normal life and do actually no longer have any great fear of catching COVID. I am however concerned about potentially being locked away or unable to fly home because someone came onboard and the virus has spread. But then, that can and does happen now when visiting ports.

The news is maybe a blessing and a curse, though I am certainly more on the side of good news.

In the meantime, Japan has announced that its increasing numbers from 20,000 to 50,000 tourist entries per day with no test required for fully vaccinated individuals and set to be increased further. Great news and now more hopeful my Muse sailing in April 2023 may well go ahead.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/31/2022 at 2:01 AM, les37b said:

Likewise, I have mixed feeling on the news. I do want to get back to normal life and do actually no longer have any great fear of catching COVID. I am however concerned about potentially being locked away or unable to fly home because someone came onboard and the virus has spread. But then, that can and does happen now when visiting ports.

My other concerns about the elimination of pre-cruise testing have been potential impact on the crew (the pre-cruise testing of passengers was for their benefit as well) and also on Silversea's Cruise with Confidence program.  After all, if they can't "verify" that a passenger tested negative before boarding, they could potentially be less inclined to cover hotel costs, flight changes, etc. if you test positive on board.  Will be interesting to see if there are any changes to the policy.

• Like 1