Cabin Recommendations - Royal Princess

jennaja

Hi,

I'd like some cabin recommendations on the Royal Princess sailing r/t from San Francisco - Santa Barbara, San Pedro, San Diego, Ensenada.

We'd like either an unobstructed balcony or unobstructed mini-suite with a couch in the seating area, and a private shaded balcony.   We use our balcony a lot.  What cabin categories and floors would best meet our needs?  We don't mind walking, but don't want other cabins or the sky walk people being able to look at our balcony.  We would like an overhang so that we have shade most of the day, and enough balcony space to be able to sit on the balcony for extended periods.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.  I have looked at the deck plans, but don't really know what all the stuff is around the ship.

3 hours ago, cruiserdru said:

Be aware that Royal class ships have mostly very narrow balconies. Look up some pictures or videos to get an idea of how narrow they are. You can also see on the deck plans where there are slightly larger balconies.

Good luck!

Thank you!  How do you tell which ones are covered/partially covered, and which ones aren't?  

I talked to an online travel agent to see if she could clarify for me -- she says she's been selling cruises for 6 years, but has never been on a ship and has never left New Jersey!

Search the deck plans. Most cabins have balconies that are small, 9ftx4ft and covered by the deck above. The cabins are straight up & down and not layered caked like Grand class ships. Angled balconies and some of the aft balconies have some portion uncovered. Shade will depend on the direction of the ship, morning sun, afternoon sun and so on. Very little shade from the deck above. Deluxe Balcony cabins, "D" categories, have a small 2 seat sofa. Mini suites., "M" categories, have a 3 seat sofa. Note mini suites do not receive the full suite benefits. 

There are some mini suites mid ship with larger angled balconies. The mini suite balconies on decks 15 & 14 mid ship starboard are in the view of people walking on the skywalk. The ones on the port side are also in view but not as much as the Seaview Bar blocks some of the inward views.

Many of the mid ship minis are club class which provides you with a special walk in dining area in the mid ship deck 6 DR. There are 4 extra large club class mini suites all the way forward on the upper decks. The only deluxe balcony cabins with larger balconies are some of the aft facing ones on certain decks. You can find all of this on the deck plans searching deck by deck. The deck plans will be your friend.

Edited by skynight
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, skynight said:

Search the deck plans. Most cabins have balconies that are small, 9ftx4ft and covered by the deck above. The cabins are straight up & down and not layered caked like Grand class ships. Angled balconies and some of the aft balconies have some portion uncovered. Shade will depend on the direction of the ship, morning sun, afternoon sun and so on. Very little shade from the deck above. Deluxe Balcony cabins, "D" categories, have a small 2 seat sofa. Mini suites., "M" categories, have a 3 seat sofa. Note mini suites do not receive the full suite benefits. 

There are some mini suites mid ship with larger angled balconies. The mini suite balconies on decks 15 & 14 mid ship starboard are in the view of people walking on the skywalk. The ones on the port side are also in view but not as much as the Seaview Bar blocks some of the inward views.

Many of the mid ship minis are club class which provides you with a special walk in dining area in the mid ship deck 6 DR. There are 4 extra large club class mini suites all the way forward on the upper decks. The only deluxe balcony cabins with larger balconies are some of the aft facing ones on certain decks. You can find all of this on the deck plans searching deck by deck. The deck plans will be your friend.

Thank you!  That's a lot more info than I got from the travel agent!

Okay,  it is pretty simple on the Royal.

The cabins with larger/deeper balconies are the Aft wake view cabins.  And, also the extended cabins on the mid-shop bump out.   The ones on Emerald Deck 8 are listed as obstructed, because they are over that midship deck area below, but are not really obstructed at all.  You might not want to be on a higher mid-ship balcony under the SeaWalk, as there would be the lack of privacy.

Check deck plans!!!

Also, note, if you want a Deluxe Balcony, and do not go for the more expensive mini suite,  it is possible that those cabins will not show up for you if you are booking for only two guests. Not sure what the issue is or if there is a way to work around that and book a Deluxe Balcony for two?  Maybe book for three, and then drop the third person?

Happy Sailing!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Also, note, if you want a Deluxe Balcony, and do not go for the more expensive mini suite,  it is possible that those cabins will not show up for you if you are booking for only two guests. Not sure what the issue is or if there is a way to work around that and book a Deluxe Balcony for two?  Maybe book for three, and then drop the third person?

I wanted a deluxe premium (aft) balcony for an upcoming cruise and they were impossible to book for 2 unless I booked a guarantee. But I wanted a specific cabin. My TA tried as well and no luck. So I spoke with someone on chat yesterday. She told me to book it as a guarantee and then once I had done so, to get back to them and they would assign the cabin I wanted assuming it was available. I went ahead with the booking, got right back to them and they issued the cabin I wanted in the first place. So it can be done. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

PS:  you need a better travel agent.  One that is familiar with Princess, or a Princess Vacation Planner.

Even those do not always help!!!!  But, I would want one that has least been on a Princess ship!

I usually use a big box store travel agent, but there was a long wait time.  I definitely don't want a TA that doesn't know any more than I do about the ships.

• Like 1

We were in mini-suite B515 in June, 2022 on the Royal Princess.  It was very nice.  The balcony was small; we used it to take pictures and check the weather.

The couch was full size (sleeper sofa).  We rearranged the coffee table and the chair to the foot of the couch.  I was able to lie full out and gaze out the sliding doors at the beautiful scenery.  I took several naps there.  We asked for blankets and extra pillows on the first day.  Pictures attached (I hope).

68 Cabin B515.JPG

69 Cabin B515.JPG

70 Balcony B515.JPG

• Like 3

On 8/27/2022 at 11:24 AM, jennaja said:

I would not expect that a T.A. would know the amount of detail I mentioned. They deal with many ships and many cruise lines. 

• Like 1

On 8/28/2022 at 12:05 PM, JF - retired RRT said:

Find a TA that's been on at least one cruise. 🤣

That's harder than you might think at the moment!  I talked to a TA at the big box store today, and he said the current hold time to speak to a Princess rep was 2.5 - 3 hours.   I have a cabin on hold thru Princess, and wanted him to take the booking over so I can make payment and get the OB credit.  He said he would have to talk to Princess in person, and couldn't be on hold that long because they're too busy.

Still trying to find a good travel agent before the sale ends.

12 hours ago, jennaja said:

That's harder than you might think at the moment!  I talked to a TA at the big box store today, and he said the current hold time to speak to a Princess rep was 2.5 - 3 hours.   I have a cabin on hold thru Princess, and wanted him to take the booking over so I can make payment and get the OB credit.  He said he would have to talk to Princess in person, and couldn't be on hold that long because they're too busy.

Still trying to find a good travel agent before the sale ends.

If you're worried about missing out on the sale, just book the cabin online or on the phone, then switch to a TA within the 60 (? or is it 90?) day window to switch.

Familiarize yourself with the Royal deck plan. You can go on Princess website or other websites that might provide photos of that particular cabin, etc. Also look at the cabin review section on Cruise Critic or do a general search for your desired cabin in the forum section. That way, you can determine if other cruisers like and dislike in terms of location, noise, vibration, etc.

Edited by ChutChut

I am also looking at Royal and researching the balcony cabins as we need one with bunk bed for a third person (adult). The sofa bed in the deluxe balcony cabins looks really small and pretty sure an adult's feet would hit the desk across from it. I am avoiding the balcony cabins that have the bunk that blocks the balcony door completely (What's the point of that? I mean who would not want balcony access half of the time when paying for one?).  That leaves me with quad balcony cabins and a double next door (there are 5 of us). I also am trying to avoid the ones under the buffet, as I would think there could be noise issues. So far I am not having much luck. This is for the 12/22 holiday cruise coming up. I've been doing this for years and this is the first time I'm having difficulty finding a good pair of cabins for us. 

On 8/27/2022 at 8:24 AM, jennaja said:

An 'online travel agent' is someone who takes your booking order and books the cruise.  That is the extent of their expertise. If you have issues with your cruise, they're of little help, just another layer to wade through.   I think it's awful that they're allowed to refer to themselves as travel agents.  Cruise lines pay commissions, so find a real travel agent who specializes in cruises.  Doesn't have to be local to you, communication is easy via email and phone.  ASTA is an association of professional travel agents, you might start there.  I echo the earlier advice about the deck plans ... sit down and study them on the big screen of a computer.  Use the enlarge feature to really scrutinize them.   Read all the fine print.  Spend a little time and you'll be able to learn a lot.  You can often do a search for 'Princess Royal Cabin 1234' and some kind soul has posted photos and descriptions of  of that exact cabin. We sailed on Queen Victoria a few years ago, my TA had booked a cabin that was the same price as all the others in that category.  But studying the deck plans, I could see that there was a little jog out ...  didn't look like much, but that added quite a lot of extra space to our cabin.  Read all the reviews you can find about the ship ... that's where I glean most of my real information when planning a cruise.  Ask specific questions on the forum.  CC people love to help!

Edited by jsn55
clarity