Edge Luminae - Order Off of Main Dining Room Menu

shirazcruiser

We've sailed on both M and S Class ships and when dining in Luminae there has always been the option to order from the Main Dining Room menu due to the close proximity of Luminae to the MDR kitchen.  I have read in the past that since Edge Luminae is on deck 12 and the MDRs are on decks 3 & 4, that this option is unavailable.  DH orders half of his meals off of the MDR menu and will be disappointed.  Has anyone recently dined in Luminae on Edge and were you able to order off of the MDR menu?  Thanks for any info!

1 minute ago, shirazcruiser said:

We've sailed on both M and S Class ships and when dining in Luminae there has always been the option to order from the Main Dining Room menu due to the close proximity of Luminae to the MDR kitchen.  I have read in the past that since Edge Luminae is on deck 12 and the MDRs are on decks 3 & 4, that this option is unavailable.  DH orders half of his meals off of the MDR menu and will be disappointed.  Has anyone recently dined in Luminae on Edge and were you able to order off of the MDR menu?  Thanks for any info!

Not recently but a couple of years ago on Edge.  They did not allow the MDR menu in Luminae (on Edge and E-Class ships) for the reasons you mentioned.  There have been quite a few threads and posts about this.  When you sail maybe ask anyway.  You never know.  Or check the Luminae menu and the MDR menus sometime before dinner and you can decide what to do that night.  They also have added common every day selections in Luminae (off menu) but I think you need to ask your server what they are.  When we sailed they added a paper insert to the Luminae menu with these extra selections.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TeeRick said:

Not recently but a couple of years ago on Edge.  They did not allow the MDR menu in Luminae (on Edge and E-Class ships) for the reasons you mentioned.  There have been quite a few threads and posts about this.  When you sail maybe ask anyway.  You never know.  Or check the Luminae menu and the MDR menus sometime before dinner and you can decide what to do that night.  They also have added common every day selections in Luminae (off menu) but I think you need to ask your server what they are.  When we sailed they added a paper insert to the Luminae menu with these extra selections.

Thanks for responding. I hadn't heard of the extra selections insert which should offer more alternatives for DH.... We'll be sailing for 19 days so more options are better as the general Luminae menu can sometimes offer some odd choices.  

3 minutes ago, shirazcruiser said:

Thanks for responding. I hadn't heard of the extra selections insert which should offer more alternatives for DH.... We'll be sailing for 19 days so more options are better as the general Luminae menu can sometimes offer some odd choices.  

It is similar to the part of the MDR menu which are the alternative every night selections.  I have read here recently that for Luminae on Edge you need to ask your waiter for this list.  Or the front desk perhaps at the entrance.    I think they did away with the paper insert.  But 19 days sounds awesome!  I can see why you might want some variety!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I often go I the local McDonald’s and ask for a Whopper…makes perfect sense. 

It would make sense if the were in the same building and sharing the same kitchen (think M and S class).

We ordered off the MDR Menu a couple of times on our last cruise.  MDR offered an outstanding lamb in phyllo pastry that shouldn't be missed.

• Like 1

Is this your first Edge cruise?

The 4 MDRs are one of the highlights of Edge for me, I highly recommend taking 4 nights off Luminae and visiting each. Each has a small specialty menu, and I think you can order off the specialty menu in each, as well as the nightly menu that crosses all 4

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

Is this your first Edge cruise?

The 4 MDRs are one of the highlights of Edge for me, I highly recommend taking 4 nights off Luminae and visiting each. Each has a small specialty menu, and I think you can order off the specialty menu in each, as well as the nightly menu that crosses all 4

Yes, this will be our first Edge cruise...I was unaware of the 4 MDRs as I haven't invested too much time researching any of our scheduled cruises since we have cancelled so many...this will be our 1st post COVID cruise.  Thanks for the info and I'll look into the MDRs. 

2 minutes ago, shirazcruiser said:

Yes, this will be our first Edge cruise...I was unaware of the 4 MDRs as I haven't invested too much time researching any of our scheduled cruises since we have cancelled so many...this will be our 1st post COVID cruise.  Thanks for the info and I'll look into the MDRs. 

You can decide prior to dinner each day. Look at Luminae's dinner menu in the afternoon and decide if you want eat there or visit one of the MDRs instead.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, shirazcruiser said:

We ate in Blu on the Edge in July. The first night I asked for escargot and french onion soup which is on the main dining menu no problem in fact...after that first night they brought me 3 menus to order off every night after which I never asked for but loved.  Blu, Main dining, and also Tuscany so you should have no issue in Luminae I would think. 
Edited by southernbreezes
  • Like 1

Just ask for what you want. I wanted Fetucchini Alfredo a couple of nights, and they brought it to me. It might not be exactly what they are serving in the MDR, but they will make something similar. Here are the special menus from each of the 4 dining rooms. These were as of this summer. I do not know if they have changed. These are served every night in these restaurants. The rest of the menu changes nightly. I HIGHLY recommend Eden.  The Aztec dessert is one of the best I have every had.

Cosmopolitan.JPG

Cypress.JPG

Normandie.JPG

Tuscan.JPG

Edited by Keys Kathy
added
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, shirazcruiser said:

Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions - there are so many options to choose from that I was unaware on Edge. We've always only eaten in a specialty restaurant or in Luminae and selected from the 2 menus.  

When we were on Edge in late March and the ship was half full, we just showed up to the MDR we wanted to visit (we were in Luminae) and were seated immediately. If the ship is more full, it would probably be courteous to make a reservation that day on the app or ask the maitre d, etc, if you are sailing in a suite. That part I would play by ear, depending on the number of pax.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

On the Edge at Luminae in March 2019 is when Luminae added the every night items. When it comes the Edge class I think of Luminae as a European Bistro. Luminae on the other 2 class ship it is more of a fine dining. 

Actually I think that is an interesting perspective.  thanks!

16 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Actually I think that is an interesting perspective.  thanks!

I agree, unless you are in the little alcove as you walk in, the atmosphere is more like eating in the MDR. I think Lumenae on the Edge class was poorly designed. The location is not the best, the room is to main diningesque, and there is one bathroom, and wants to through a coridor of cabins to get to dinner?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keys Kathy said:

I agree, unless you are in the little alcove as you walk in, the atmosphere is more like eating in the MDR. I think Lumenae on the Edge class was poorly designed. The location is not the best, the room is to main diningesque, and there is one bathroom, and wants to through a coridor of cabins to get to dinner?

My DH swears that in the main part of Edge Luminae, the wall between the dining area and the service area/kitchen does not extend all the way to the ceiling, adding to the noise. I think the tables are closer together than on E class. He disagrees, but the room definitely seats more people.

On our last Edge cruise, Luminae was much more crowded and noisy than the MDR - we left Luminae to eat there.

7 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

My DH swears that in the main part of Edge Luminae, the wall between the dining area and the service area/kitchen does not extend all the way to the ceiling, adding to the noise. I think the tables are closer together than on E class. He disagrees, but the room definitely seats more people.

On our last Edge cruise, Luminae was much more crowded and noisy than the MDR - we left Luminae to eat there.

On the M and S class, the spaces are designed to appear to be smaller. They have that partition between the front and the back and you enter from the middleish making the room seem to be more divided. I think they can improve the layout on E class by adding partitions which will not only provide a more intimate experience, but would also absorb the noise. They can't easily change the location.

I have to say, I love the spaces on the Edge, but I do not like the cabins. IT IS A WINDOW!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

On the M and S class, the spaces are designed to appear to be smaller. They have that partition between the front and the back and you enter from the middleish making the room seem to be more divided. I think they can improve the layout on E class by adding partitions which will not only provide a more intimate experience, but would also absorb the noise. They can't easily change the location.

I have to say, I love the spaces on the Edge, but I do not like the cabins. IT IS A WINDOW!

I don’t know about other M class ships, but the Millennium Luminae did not have a partition.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

I don’t know about other M class ships, but the Millennium Luminae did not have a partition.

No partition on Connie, either, and you enter from the 'end' of the space, not the "middleish".  It's a pared down space from the original specialty restaurant.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, canderson said:

No partition on Connie, either, and you enter from the 'end' of the space, not the "middleish".  It's a pared down space from the original specialty restaurant.

True, my latest recollection was of S class.