Ncl and parents controlling unruly kids on pearl this summer?

sullyd

11 hours ago, Tyskie said:

hahaha - their parents were there as well.  We had an 18 YO boy and16 YOG

Take extra masks, covid tests, OTC medications - for some reason they didn't pack that stuff. 

Bermuda was very strict with the masks.

Let the kids pick the excursions if possible and dining options (and make reservations ahead of time).   

Our granddaughter went to the Entourage (I think that is what it's called) a few times. 

Our grandson was allowed to drink beer and wine - also gamble.  He enjoyed the 3-card poker with his grandfather over the alcohol.

Be flexible - they like to sleep late, I booked Tappenyaki for the first night and that was a big hit.

No parents , just us and the grands , Cards , wine and Beer Oh my , 🤪 Tappenyaki"s is on the list as is the Brazilian Grill , we're doing 10 days with a full canal transit of the canal, everyone excited 😄

• Like 1

Last cruise we had a teenager and a parent screaming at each other in the hallway at 1AM, two doors down from us.  I exited my cabin and just hard stared at them both.   This was probably creepy enough to make them stop as they both left soon after.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Last February on the Getaway,we were in a two bedroom suite in the Haven. There was screaming , crying and loud pounding in the stateroom next door. I was afraid that a murder was going on. I reported it to the concierge and we left for the evening. The next morning, a Caribbean port, a pile of luggage was in the hall. We never heard another peep.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 9/3/2022 at 1:14 PM, BirdTravels said:

No kids are running over old people. 

Not true...I've seen it happen with my own eyes.  Thankfully, I was there to steady and hold onto an elderly lady walking down the hall or those teens would have caused to her fall and possible break something. 

• Like 2

On 9/3/2022 at 6:55 PM, The Shrike said:

I've had my mother (almost 80) slammed into by kids jumping down the stairs; my stepfather (walks with a cane) banged into by kids riding the elevator.

I've also had an adult (probably about a 6'7" male) walk into my wife who was on crutches at the time.  He was facing right in her direction.  Nearly knocked her down.  I grabbed his arm and said "Watch where you're going you giant a--hole!"  He at least had the decency to look ashamed for a second.

On the flip side, I've also seen people on mobility scooters run into other passengers.  On the Star in July there was a passenger we referred to as the scooter witch, as she purposely hit people who she thought were in her way numerous times.

Just because you've never experienced it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I like you!

• Thanks 1

We have been on cruises with lots of children and also on cruises with lots of seniors including those on scooters.It is scary  to see children running down the hall towards you in a "race" and also to see a scooter being driven by someone unused to it and have them run over your foot or bump into you. To answer the original question I have never had children run around like crazy and  bump into me on the Pearl. And I have been on the Pearl numerous times. I have however had that experience on the Encore.

Edited by Peachypooh

On 9/9/2022 at 8:57 AM, Treasure Hunter said:

People need to think, calm down and be kinder. And teach their kids the same. 

Anyone see the segment on GMA (I think) with Journalist Steve Hartmans two young children? They are behind a movement called kindness 101. Two of the most beautiful, polite, articulate, well behaved children I’ve seen in a long time. 

We’ve fortunately only had two cruises where poorly behaved children negatively impacted our experience. Both originated out of the same port, off the mainland. Vowed never to step foot there again.... ever!

I've been on two NCL cruises, both times in the Haven (it does matter - keep reading). Our cruise in April was over Easter break, which means we had 4,400 people on a ship that can hold just under 4,000 double occupancy. You can bet your sweet britches there were a lot of kids on that cruise! 

We had only one issue the entire cruise, and that was the teens using the stairs as their gathering place. I could see where an older person might not appreciate wandering through a gaggle of teens, but I just went through them. I did accidentally (really, it was) kick one of them as I walked through. They always moved after that. 

On the second cruise we had 1,200 guests on the same ship, so we figured it'd be nice and quiet. Of course NCL went for the highest margins and booked the Haven solid. It seemed like it was packed solid with families with babies...now if you've ever been in the Getaway's Haven Restaurant you know it's small. When one of those little balls of ugh starts crying, everyone hears it. 

We did go to the MDR's a couple times for lunch and dinner. In those restaurants, folks are more spread out, and we didn't see/hear/smell any babies. It was such a nice atmosphere without a baby. No baby to make noise, no baby to distract servers, no parents ignoring their tiny little baby...so much nicer!

I'll take the teens any day, but for everything that's sacred, why do people insist on bringing their itty bitty bundle of seething anger onboard? I just will never understand how any parent can possibly believe it's a good idea. A couple of the parents even admitted to us that the next cruise they go on, they'll be baby-less. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

why do people insist on bringing their itty bitty bundle of seething anger onboard?

Because the parents wanted a vacation and that's NCL's bread and butter demographic?! Some parents may not want to or be able to leave their kids behind for a week. Or may even think it's a good idea due to NCL billing itself as having the "Beat Family Experience". NCL builds ships with over 20 of the 2-bedroom "Haven Family Villas" - the most of any other Haven room type - because they intend for have many families in the Haven.

A better question is why do people go on a cruise line marketed at families with kids and then wonder why there are parents with kids onboard. Because that's who NCL caters to!

PS - I'll be onboard with my 17 month-old daughter next month. In a 2-bedroom Haven suite, because you know, that's why 2-bedroom suites exist in the first place! 

Edited by dandelpino
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, dandelpino said:

Because the parents wanted a vacation and that's NCL's bread and butter demographic?! Some parents may not want to or be able to leave their kids behind for a week. Or may even think it's a good idea due to NCL billing itself as having the "Beat Family Experience". NCL builds ships with over 20 of the 2-bedroom "Haven Family Villas" - the most of any other Haven room type - because they intend for have many families in the Haven.

A better question is why do people go on a cruise line marketed at families with kids and then wonder why there are parents with kids onboard. Because that's who NCL caters to!

PS - I'll be onboard with my 17 month-old daughter next month. In a 2-bedroom Haven suite, because you know, that's why 2-bedroom suites exist in the first place! 

I don't mind kids, children, teens. I despise the younger version of them. The ones called babies, infants, and toddlers. I truly don't understand why parents would think a cruise is a relaxing vacation with one of those.

So, actually, your better question doesn't apply as I'm happy to see families with a child older than about three...otherwise, yes I'm going to stare at you and talk about how uncouth it is to bring your offspring onboard to ruin the experience for everyone.

Unfortunately, we won't agree...I have strong opinions and you're a parent of a 17 month old, so you have strong opinions as well. Enjoy your cruise - I do hope you immediately take your child out of the Haven Restaurant when it starts crying, so that others can enjoy their cruise.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I don't mind kids, children, teens. I despise the younger version of them. The ones called babies, infants, and toddlers. I truly don't understand why parents would think a cruise is a relaxing vacation with one of those.

So, actually, your better question doesn't apply as I'm happy to see families with a child older than about three...otherwise, yes I'm going to stare at you and talk about how uncouth it is to bring your offspring onboard to ruin the experience for everyone.

Unfortunately, we won't agree...I have strong opinions and you're a parent of a 17 month old, so you have strong opinions as well. Enjoy your cruise - I do hope you immediately take your child out of the Haven Restaurant when it starts crying, so that others can enjoy their cruise.

WOW! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

70DFA0F2-6CF7-465B-A952-617DF50A4766.gif

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

The ones called babies, infants, and toddlers. I truly don't understand why parents would think a cruise is a relaxing vacation with one of those.

It’s actually the best kind of vacation for parents with babies and toddlers. Room, food, and entertainment all in one place with minimal walking is about as relaxing as it gets. At this age you don’t want to have to get in an out of cars or walk miles around a theme park.  

4 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I'm going to stare at you and talk about how uncouth it is to bring your offspring onboard to ruin the experience for everyone.

You’re certainly entitled to your opinion, but if you think babies and toddlers don’t belong on mass market family cruises then I think you don’t understand what a mass market family cruise is all about. There are cruise lines that cater to adults and couples but NCL isn’t one of them. If kids ruin your experience I would recommend a different cruise line. You’ll be happier and no one will have to endure your judgement. 

• Like 1

On 9/10/2022 at 10:05 AM, Peachypooh said:

We have been on cruises with lots of children and also on cruises with lots of seniors including those on scooters.It is scary  to see children running down the hall towards you in a "race" and also to see a scooter being driven by someone unused to it and have them run over your foot or bump into you. To answer the original question I have never had children run around like crazy and  bump into me on the Pearl. And I have been on the Pearl numerous times. I have however had that experience on the Encore.

I remember your story of the hide and seek games in the Horizon lounge.  There is a video on youtube but wont post because they are children but they are screaming so loud and its echoing because the roof is closed in the Haven pool area.   You definitely drew the short stick that cruise.  This is why I like to cruise in February when kids are in school.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

I remember your story of the hide and seek games in the Horizon lounge.  There is a video on youtube but wont post because they are children but they are screaming so loud and its echoing because the roof is closed in the Haven pool area.   You definitely drew the short stick that cruise.  This is why I like to cruise in February when kids are in school.

Yes...thanks for remembering. February is a good month and also right after school starts in Sept. When we cruised Alaska  in September there were only a handful of children.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Peachypooh said:

Yes...thanks for remembering. February is a good month and also right after school starts in Sept. When we cruised Alaska  in September there were only a handful of children.

16 hours ago, Peachypooh said:

Many schools in the northeast are off for presidents week.

On 9/17/2022 at 9:00 AM, cruiseny4life said:

I would have loved to hear you try and tell my wife that when we had four little daughters. She's a lot less diplomatic than me. It would not have ended well for you. 

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, nferr said:

I would have loved to hear you try and tell my wife that when we had four little daughters. She's a lot less diplomatic than me. It would not have ended well for you. 

Haha I'm sure it wouldn't have and hey you/they have paid their ticket so that means they can be there too! I'm not so dull to not know that. I just wish they weren't. Just like I wish drunks weren't on board, but hey, what can you do? Other than whine about it on Cruise Critic! 

I suppose I could take a different cruise line, but as I've expressed numerous times, I appreciate NCL's product...alas, we're way beyond the scope of this topic, so I'll see you all on other topics in the future! 

• Like 3