Norwegian 2 for 1 deposit scam

gfetters

Did anyone else have an issue getting the 2 for 1 deposit from NCL.  I booked my cruise through NCL and they told me I would get 2 for 1 deposit.  So I deposit 250 and they match 250.  Then they couldn't book it.  I called up the main number and they say oh no you didn't read the fine print.  Its not a 2 for 1 deposit its just a reduced deposit.  It even shows this on their website.

All this after they charged my card.  At this point I am not even sure what they charged.  I have no receipt from them.  Did anyone else have this happen to you?

ncl_encore_july02_cruise_deceptive_practice.jpg

Edited by gfetters
mispelled charged

I think you got the situation wrong.  The program that I think they gave you was Cruise First.  You pay $250.00 and you get credit for $500.00.  I did the same thing when I booked my next cruise some months ago.  The reduced deposit is not a plus or a minus.  They really don't give you any value like the "Cruise First".  

All you get is a little less amount that is your deposit for your cruise. I know how confusing this cruise stuff can be.  That is why all my friend reach out to me when they want to cruise.  Even my travel agent gets confused with NCL some times.  You are not the only one but I know how frustrating it is.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

Apparently they are saying its cruise first now.  I never heard cruise first from anyone at NCL.  They are only matching $150 and they charged me for that too.  I am booking 8 passengers with these fools you think they would care more about their customers.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, gfetters said:

Sthrngary This stuff is not confusing at all its deceptive.  Are any of these other offers really Free?  

If you read by message they charged my card and provided no receipt.  That is not just deceptive that might be illegal.  

Not sure what is illegal. 

Not sure what is deceptive. 

Did you take the time to read the terms and conditions about what you were buying?

• Like 1

I have to check as well on my recent booking. the sales rep at ncl told me I deposit 250 and ncl also puts 250 to my booking, although non refundable, and can only be used as a future cruise credit if cruised book canceled. it was in fact listed on the pdj in confirmation email. the website summary doesnt break it down in detail.

Edited by v3cruiser
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, v3cruiser said:

I have to check as well on my recent booking. the sales rep at ncl told me I deposit 250 and ncl also puts 250 to my booking, although non refundable, and can only be used as a future cruise credit if cruised book canceled. it was in fact listed on the pdj in confirmation email. the website summary doesnt break it down in detail.

That sounds like cruise first, not 2 for 1 deposit.  CruiseFirst | Vacation Savings | Norwegian Cruise Line (ncl.com)

22 minutes ago, gfetters said:

Sthrngary This stuff is not confusing at all its deceptive.  Are any of these other offers really Free?  

If you read by message they charged my card and provided no receipt.  That is not just deceptive that might be illegal.  

ncl_encor_july02_cruise_deception_02.jpg

I read your entire message. I tried to express my views. You are complaining on a NCL blog. You are not looking for feedback that disagrees with your assessment.  Based on that, good luck and hope you resolve your issue. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 3

It only mentions 50% in the title.  It also mentions 2-for-1.  In a contract ambiguity favors the person not writing the contract.   At no point does it define this anywhere in the terms.  It also does not mention that as part of the same title on the cruise booking itself.  This is Deceptive.  In addition all of the "FREE" items listed above are not FREE you pay for each one.  This is also Deceptive.

2-FOR-1 DEPOSITS - 50% REDUCED FOR CLUB BALCONY SUITES & BELOW
Booking Window: September 1, 2021 - October 31, 2022 11:59 pm EST

Terms & Conditions
Haven, Suite & Concierge categories are not applicable for this offer.
Offer is only applicable for mini-suites and below.
Offer is for new individual FIT reservations and new group delegates booked outside of finalization.
Qualifying new individual reservations can be moved into existing group and count towards tour conductor credits.
Offer is valid for Affinity and NettourC groups.
Promotion cannot be held as group block.
For an upgrade into a Concierge, Suite or Haven, full deposit is due immediately.
Concierge categories on Joy are treated like a Suite and Haven which are excluded from our reduced deposit offers.
Reservation must be assigned with names. Guests who cancel and rebook must accept this promotion's terms and conditions.
For reduced deposit reservations cancelled during deposit fee period, fee amount will be assessed in line with terms of booked promotion Singles paying 200% qualify.
Government taxes, port expenses & fees, general excise tax (GET), and discretionary on board service charges and/or gratuities are additional.
Not applicable to chartered dates and group types: CMI OP EVENT, CMI OP LG EVENT, INCREG & INCLARGE
Offer and combinability with other promotional offers is subject to change at any time per Norwegian Cruise Line's discretion. Other restrictions may apply.
Applicable to NCL MIAMI, NCL INTL, NCL ASIA and NCL MEA. Not applicable to AUSTRALIA, NCL BRAZIL, CE and UK offices.

My problem is the NCL agent told me I would get 250 match for 250 deposit.  Then I was told he could only get 150 and he didn't know why.  Then I called NCL and they said I am the one thats confused.  I have 1 day in to booking a cruise for 8 people and all I have is regret.  Do you guys all agree I should just cancel my bookings and try another line?  

23 minutes ago, gfetters said:

I see the first deposit due and the date but I don't see what was charged to my card.  I'll have to call my CC company and see what they show.

Not exactly rocket science if you look at your invoice.  If you don't have that, check your spam folder.

If you bought a cruise first certificate, it will say paid by Cruise first and give the amount.  Half of that amount would have been charged to your credit card but might not be on your invoice, I don't know how that purchase process works.

image.png.0322770af5b7b59fc5be6a516328eeac.png

1 hour ago, gfetters said:

My problem is the NCL agent told me I would get 250 match for 250 deposit. 

Are you sure they weren't talking about CruiseNext? That's exactly what happens when they have that promotion.

2 for 1 deposits means 2 passengers can book with a 1 passenger deposit. So, If it is normally $250 per person (or $500 for 2), that means you only pay $250 total for 2 people - 2 for the price of 1.

Of course, no matter how much you deposit, the whole amount is still due before you cruise.

How can you call something that you can cancel anytime you want (with limits ) a “scam”?

That’s just a reckless use of an epithet without any basis.  You haven’t even started making payments yet and already you seem completely overwhelmed.  Just cancel, back away from it for awhile, cool off, and go at it again when your thinking isn’t in such a whirlwind. 

• Like 3

jfetters. cancel if you must, but consider the actual effect of whatever discounted deposit a cruise line may offer.  in the end, it just offsets the final total. if your cruise is $10,000 and you give a deposit of $250, you still owe $9750. if you give a deposit of $500 at the end you'll owe $9500.

nothing has really changed, you just took out less money from your wallet but owe more at the end.

not really something to cancel the entire cruise over, especially if it's in total a fair price for 8 people, and it's an itinerary you really like.

probably  you aint gonna get a much better deal someplace else!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, complawyer said:

i'm sorry, but i just felt i needed to add. if  you really feel scammed over $250, maybe you should cancel and go elsewhere, or that should be your only worry in life. again, another 1st world problem

Except that if they actually bought a Cruise First certificate it's non-refundable.

• Like 1

ok, but even if they bought a cruise 1st certificate, it's still good for 4 years. i fail to see a problem, and certainly not a scam. at the very worst, a misunderstanding by the poster i also understand (and correct me if i'm mistaken, i certainly don't claim to be an expert on cruise next certificates) and here's where the miscommunication may have occurred, if you buy a $250 cruise  certificate while onboard the ship, you will get a $125 on board credit. if you buy 4 cruise next certificates, and want to shell out $1,000 you will get $500 obc.

maybe a little costly, but not a scam

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, complawyer said:

ok, but even if they bought a cruise 1st certificate, it's still good for 4 years. i fail to see a problem, and certainly not a scam. at the very worst, a misunderstanding by the poster i also understand (and correct me if i'm mistaken, i certainly don't claim to be an expert on cruise next certificates) and here's where the miscommunication may have occurred, if you buy a $250 cruise  certificate while onboard the ship, you will get a $125 on board credit. if you buy 4 cruise next certificates, and want to shell out $1,000 you will get $500 obc.

maybe a little costly, but not a scam

No, the poster wasn't scammed.  I totally agree there.

Cruise First is something similar to Cruise Next but CN can only be bought onboard (or from 3rd party resellers).  Cruise First, which is apparently what the OP bought has slightly different rules but the idea is the same.  The offers change frequently, so it might be $150 or $250 for a certificate for 2x the value.  They are only good for 3 years and often are only good on cruises 6 months out.

• Like 1