Specialty Restaurant Pricing Out Of Control

bigeagle12

On 9/4/2022 at 11:17 AM, vjmatty said:

Already there…. the 2C I booked on Anthem’s transatlantic next month for $1123 is now over three times that much. 

You're talking about next month. Take a look at next summer. Prices are insane right now. I booked a regular OV balcony on the oasis for $3200 (2ppl) back in June. Right now the price for the same balcony cabin category for 2 ppl is almost $6,000! Who is paying these prices??

5 hours ago, seasidemama said:

You're talking about next month. Take a look at next summer. Prices are insane right now. I booked a regular OV balcony on the oasis for $3200 (2ppl) back in June. Right now the price for the same balcony cabin category for 2 ppl is almost $6,000! Who is paying these prices??

For a seven day sailing? That is nuts. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Moltar said:

Yep, 3 night booze cruise 

If this from experience, or just something you say because you have decided that is what a 3 night cruise is? 3 night cruises are my favorite, and I usually sail on a 3 night once or twice every six weeks or so. (have to get some more booked) I have never seen this "booze" cruise you are referring to.

Do you mean rowdy people out by the pool?? Yep seen that, but nothing out of the ordinary from my longer cruises or my CCL cruises. Then again, I am speaking from my own actual experience. 

I do not drink much alcohol at all, in fact on a 7 day cruise I may have 2 or 3 alcoholic beverages total. I also am not a fan of drunk people and tend to notice when people start acting stupid. It's a rare occasion.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2022 at 4:08 PM, lenquixote66 said:

IMHO all food on a cruise ship should be free .On cruises in the 70’s there was no such thing as specialty restaurants and that did not bother anyone.

Plenty of food on board is included.

In the 70s, you had a choice of the MDR or the MDR.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

There was no such thing as a buffet in the 1970’s .Therefore,your choice was MDR or not eating.

Who’s talking the 1970’s? The topic is about specialty restaurants and the pricing. If you’re going to have choices and one of them is specialty restaurants, since they weren’t around then, buffets are an option too. So as stated, my choices are MDR or buffet, or as you mentioned, not eating.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Who’s talking the 1970’s? The topic is about specialty restaurants and the pricing. If you’re going to have choices and one of them is specialty restaurants, since they weren’t around then, buffets are an option too. So as stated, my choices are MDR or buffet, or as you mentioned, not eating.

My personal preference is not to pay extra to eat on a cruise ship.I was just offering a point of reference that in the 70’s there was only one dining room and nobody had a thought of wanting a pay extra restaurant.There were no buffets and in my opinion that is a healthier way to enjoy a cruise.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

My personal preference is not to pay extra to eat on a cruise ship.I was just offering a point of reference that in the 70’s there was only one dining room and nobody had a thought of wanting a pay extra restaurant.There were no buffets and in my opinion that is a healthier way to enjoy a cruise.

I lose weight on every cruise.  100% of the time.  Been on something like 45 cruises and always lose weight.

I only eat at the Windjammer buffet or specialty dining.  Never in MDR.

2 hours ago, dada2199cc said:

I lose weight on every cruise.  100% of the time.  Been on something like 45 cruises and always lose weight.

I only eat at the Windjammer buffet or specialty dining.  Never in MDR.

I have never gained weight on a cruise and only eat in the MDR.I have been cruising since 1973.

On 9/4/2022 at 1:36 AM, FamilyCruiserUK said:

There does come a point when its past what i am willing to pay for an extra item. I was looking at the activities on coco kay and the pricing is now way past vaule for money for my cruising party.

Its the same as the onboard dining. For us we work hard and spend our money on our child for the now ( not in a spoiling way) and her future (uni, house deposit) so we dont eat out in the uk anymore. So the mdr food we would expect and often been told by the waiter " a dining experience" to be at a level of food and service of eating out in a nice resturant, and therefor feel no need to eat in the SRs. That being said the MDR food on Anthem summer 2021 was very good (eating out level) but on brilliance Summer 2022 was very poor ( school cafeteria level).

As others have said id be happy to pay a surcharge like £20 but not the prices they are asking now. 

delete- wrong thread 

On 9/22/2022 at 8:20 PM, Moltar said:

Like I said cheaper cruises equals…. 

it was a three or four night cruise which is cheap you’ll never catch me on a cheap cruise because the crowd usually ain’t my type of crowd. Carnival is cheap even on a seven night so I would never ever ever ever sail Carnival

OMG, this is appalling.  It appears that at the end it was an officer down they were beating.  I really hope charges are brought against all parties involved.  Those females are vicious.  We don't do 3 nights because it is just a booze cruise.  I have never seen anyone shut off because with the drink packages anyone can get a drink for someone else.  Even the 4 days is calmer than the 3.....from my experience in the past.

Back to Specialty Restaurants - Royal must be happy with their sales of dining options and packages.  I keep getting the emails trying to sell me extras (internet, the Key, excursions, etc) for my next 2 cruises - but none of the emails contain any mention of any dining option for sale.  

I guess they are getting the results they want with the pricing.  

Yep, prices (and costs of doing business) are going up. The resort where I am employed has drastically raised prices for dining and drinking, people are paying and the place is full all the time. It doesn't make sense to fill up with bottom-feeders and have to turn away customers who will spend. 

36 minutes ago, goldfish65 said:

Yep, prices (and costs of doing business) are going up. The resort where I am employed has drastically raised prices for dining and drinking, people are paying and the place is full all the time. It doesn't make sense to fill up with bottom-feeders and have to turn away customers who will spend. 

There is a bunch of savings being used now that we are free again to travel, eat out, and so on because of being cooped up during the pandemic.  Now, even the "bottom-feeders" have some money to spend on a little luxury.