How to use cofee maker in Neptune suite

West Coast Gal

It's a little noisy. It does use a pod and it does make one (very small) cup at a time. It's a little more complicated than a hotel type drip coffee maker. Store some cream and sweetner; the selection that comes with it is awful. The Neptune Lounge offers a similar coffee maker, also a little more complcated than it needs to be. I think it's more trouble than it's worth. I prefer to get coffee elsewhere, either in the Lido, or room service, or Explorations Cafe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, seagarsmoker said:

It is a pod coffee maker. One cup at a time. They have expresso, regular and decaf. 

Check your pods first thing - often I have found only one or two types in the unit. The Crew seems confused by this.

• Like 1

Never been in a Neptune but plenty of use of a nespresso in hotel rooms.  First remove the water tank and fill it.  Replace it, be sure to listen for the snap - easy peasy.   Next place cup under drip area.  Turn on unit, it takes a few minutes to heat.  Next lift lever place in pod.  (Word of caution - do not lift lever again until you are finished as it will shoot the pod into the disposal area.  You can retrieve it but that is not easy).  Next select from the various buttons indicating how full, usually there are at least two choices sometimes three.  There may also be a separate button for hot water.  The buttons indicated how full the coffee cup will be, the fuller the cup, the weaker the brew.   If this fails go to the Dutch Cafe or Explorer Lounge

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Check your pods first thing - often I have found only one or two types in the unit. The Crew seems confused by this.

I was disappointed on our cruise last fall.  It was our very first Neptune Suite and I was really looking forward to that coffee first thing in the morning in our cabin (our usual routine is to get some from the Explorations Cafe after getting dressed).  But the only thing available was espresso....the Concierge tried his best to get coffee during the cruise (24 days) but wasn't able.  First World Problem, I know.  I'm hoping it was because cruising hadn't been started up for very long yet, Covid, etc. etc. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I was disappointed on our cruise last fall.  It was our very first Neptune Suite and I was really looking forward to that coffee first thing in the morning in our cabin (our usual routine is to get some from the Explorations Cafe after getting dressed).  But the only thing available was espresso....the Concierge tried his best to get coffee during the cruise (24 days) but wasn't able.  First World Problem, I know.  I'm hoping it was because cruising hadn't been started up for very long yet, Covid, etc. etc. 

Same issue on Aug 20 sailing of Eurodam, but the room steward did find some regular pods after a day of looking.  Funny thing is, the laminated card on the machine indicated that there were only decaf and expresso pods????

• Like 1

The Nespresso setup takes some getting used to and not fun to experiment when your body is crying out for its caffeine fix at dawn... Do keep an eye on the pods! The first cruise--when we kept ejecting them by accident--they were replaced each day by only decaf! A mystery, as there were 4 types when we began. Finally we said something and they were all  replaced by ristretto (black pods, most intense, not our fave).We next brought along a box of preferred pods ourselves. That being said, after a series of Nespresso mishaps--and as noted above, issues re: creamer and sweetener-- we've defaulted to DH running up to Explorations first thing (he likes to get himself out and about first thing, so all good). Room service of course is an option.

58 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Same issue on Aug 20 sailing of Eurodam, but the room steward did find some regular pods after a day of looking.  Funny thing is, the laminated card on the machine indicated that there were only decaf and expresso pods????

And my experience was also on the Eurodam in September-October!  I think I saw that laminated card too.  And being our first time, I assumed that's what you get in a NS.  I like espresso sometimes, but not every morning.

(edited) Or was your cruise this year?  If it was, that's really bad!

Edited by Cruising-along
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

And my experience was also on the Eurodam in September-October!  I think I saw that laminated card too.  And being our first time, I assumed that's what you get in a NS.  I like espresso sometimes, but not every morning.

(edited) Or was your cruise this year?  If it was, that's really bad!

Just two weeks ago!  I do not why they cannot fix this simple issue - or take the stupid machines OUT!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nespresso espresso coffee or Lungo or ristretto comes in 1 lot of different pods/qualities/coffee mixtures of arabica out of different countries and Robusta.  We use them the last 25 years at home. In the morning we drink lungo's (simply said: more water and other pods than used for espresso's). My husband prefers another coffee mixture than I do.  Later in the morning or after a meal espresso or ristretto. Special pods for cappuccino.  In my opinion more than a few types/tastes should be available on board.  If you are interested: https://www.nespresso.com/nl/en     

Edited by MAVIP
type error
  • Like 1

Here is the machine which was on the Koningsdam last week.  The way to get a less stronger brew is to hit the button again, after the first cycle, and it will add hot water.

Was rather puzzled at the comment that the machine in the lounge was complicated as it couldn’t be simpler.  Place a cup in the circle and press “Americano” or “Latte” or whatever your heart desires.  The coffee is ground and out it comes to perfection.

F92B7A54-4D23-40BD-BB3D-C2C4DA618D3D.thumb.jpeg.56a68583416a5fd1e5e6451122b285c5.jpeg

On 9/11/2022 at 5:03 PM, MAVIP said:

Nespresso espresso coffee or Lungo or ristretto comes in 1 lot of different pods/qualities/coffee mixtures of arabica out of different countries and Robusta.  We use them the last 25 years at home. In the morning we drink lungo's (simply said: more water and other pods than used for espresso's). My husband prefers another coffee mixture than I do.  Later in the morning or after a meal espresso or ristretto. Special pods for cappuccino.  In my opinion more than a few types/tastes should be available on board.  If you are interested: https://www.nespresso.com/nl/en     

These are NOT Nespresso machines - they are a brand called MoCoffee.  We thought we were so smart for thinking of bringing our own Nespresso pods and they don't fit.  Not sure where to buy them.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, FlyingCruiser2 said:

These are NOT Nespresso machines - they are a brand called MoCoffee.  We thought we were so smart for thinking of bringing our own Nespresso pods and they don't fit.  Not sure where to buy them.

The reverse is probably why HAL cannot keep the proper pods in stock anymore - people thinking they could take them home!

1 hour ago, FlyingCruiser2 said:

So next time you have to bring the smallest of the small Nespresso machines, the Essenza Mini; if HAL allows using them of course. 😉

52 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

The reverse is probably why HAL cannot keep the proper pods in stock anymore - people thinking they could take them home!

I cannot believe a suite passenger is in need of a few pods/Nespresso cups, can you?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Never enough pods!  Just checked into a very posh hotel and DH found the maid to secure more pods. 

My reaction was based on @DaveOKC 's "people thinking they could take them home!".  And of course I agree with your DH, I already used 5 Nespresso cups this morning and DH must have had at least the same 😉 

• Like 1