Appropriate dress for dining venues on Oceania

Sullivans10

15 minutes ago, rbtan said:

Ok. One sport coat/3-5 nice shirts/2-3 nice pants/undies & some "casual beach wear" etc.I'm sure that does not equal a very heavy suitcase.Remember there are washers on board.

I basically agree with this.  We way over packed for our Riviera cruise in January but then, it our first cruise ever and we figured better safe than sorry.  We agreed to bare down quite a bit for our next one.  Easier to pack, schlep and unpack/store in the room.  We also did laundry on something like day 8.  Did not have to but was easier to pack clean clothes going home. Laundry was quick and easy.

Seeing all the mess with luggage, we decided to try a risky move and travel with carry on only on our next cruise in May. Many of our friends do it, so it’s possible. But it means being very selective with what we pack, hence my question about jeans..

2 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Seeing all the mess with luggage, we decided to try a risky move and travel with carry on only on our next cruise in May. Many of our friends do it, so it’s possible. But it means being very selective with what we pack, hence my question about jeans..

Good luck

I keep trying  but end up with  1  bigger case

I am not giving up someday I will get it down to a carry on each 😉

33 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Although we wouldn't wear any type of jeans in the MDR or specialties (personal preference), we avoid jeans as casual attire because they are heavy and take a lot of time to dry, when we do laundry.

• Like 2

Don't forget that you can wear "dressy" shorts in the terrace for dinner and I am guessing in the new pizza area by waves for dinner as well.  Assuming I eat five nights with pants (four specialty plus MDR) I will most likely be able wear shorts at least three or four nights on a Caribbean cruise.  My wife and I each took a full suitcase plus maximum sized carry on bag and a backpack type bag, I think we can reasonably get away without the two carryon sized bags next time and that's all I can reasonably hope for.  

Now if this were an Alaskan or cold weather cruise...

As a child of the '60s & '70s, jeans became de rigueur for every situation, much to the dismay of our parents and other elders.  I was living in San Francisco at the time; ergo, I was doomed and never stood a chance.  It is now 50+ years later and there are still people who are clutching their pearls when they see a pair of jeans anywhere.  Over the decades, I've watched restaurants around the world slowly adapt to changing sensibilities and fashion - once again to the dismay of those who were raised differently -  and allowing various styles of jeans in various states of disrepair.  These days, when I go to a Michelin-starred restaurant, I am still somewhat amazed that jeans - completely taboo for years in any version - appear to be the go-to fashion for most diners, male, female, & otherwise.  In short, as tacitly acknowledged by Oceania & other cruise lines, jeans have become a fixture on the dining landscape and nothing is going to change that.  Jeans are omnipresent and it's time to accept them - just as we do polyester. 😱

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Cliff-FLL said:

As a child of the '60s & '70s, jeans became de rigueur for every situation, much to the dismay of our parents and other elders.  I was living in San Francisco at the time; ergo, I was doomed and never stood a chance.  It is now 50+ years later and there are still people who are clutching their pearls when they see a pair of jeans anywhere.  Over the decades, I've watched restaurants around the world slowly adapt to changing sensibilities and fashion - once again to the dismay of those who were raised differently -  and allowing various styles of jeans in various states of disrepair.  These days, when I go to a Michelin-starred restaurant, I am still somewhat amazed that jeans - completely taboo for years in any version - appear to be the go-to fashion for most diners, male, female, & otherwise.  In short, as tacitly acknowledged by Oceania & other cruise lines, jeans have become a fixture on the dining landscape and nothing is going to change that.  Jeans are omnipresent and it's time to accept them - just as we do polyester. 😱

Ironically, I just got an invitation to an event locally that said "no jeans." 🤣 Personally, I like jeans and wear them very often. But as regards cruise ship attire, this is how I see things (just my perspective, of course):

Step 1: No jeans allowed on the ship, then people complain that it's too restrictive.

Step 2: Cruise line says "OK, jeans are fine, but no faded jeans, rips, tears."

Step 3: Passengers complain that the jeans in fashion ARE faded, and 'designer' jeans DO have holes, rips, etc, I shouldn't have to buy crisp, brand-new jeans to meet the requirement."

Step 4: Cruise line says "OK, any type of jeans are OK."

Step 5: People come into the main dining room at night dressed in barely-there denim, rips, holes and bare flesh showing when others are in dresses and suits/ties, and then people complain about how tacky that looks.

I've seen it happen over and over: people say there shouldn't be any rules about what people wear, and then are shocked to see the appalling results.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Ironically, I just got an invitation to an event locally that said "no jeans." 🤣 Personally, I like jeans and wear them very often. But as regards cruise ship attire, this is how I see things (just my perspective, of course):

Step 1: No jeans allowed on the ship, then people complain that it's too restrictive.

Step 3: Passengers complain that the jeans in fashion ARE faded, and 'designer' jeans DO have holes, rips, etc, I shouldn't have to buy crisp, brand-new jeans to meet the requirement."

Step 5: People come into the main dining room at night dressed in barely-there denim, rips, holes and bare flesh showing when others are in dresses and suits/ties, and then people complain about how tacky that looks.

I've seen it happen over and over: people say there shouldn't be any rules about what people wear, and then are shocked to see the appalling results.

What you said makes sense and no matter what the dress code is, there will be some who try to push the limits.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

What you said makes sense and no matter what the dress code is, there will be some who try to push the limits.

Yup, I've had this kind of conversation many times. A friend will say "I think people should be able to wear whatever they want." Then I show them a montage of photos from shoppers at Walmart, and the friend says "OMG, that's disgusting." And then I say "whatever happened to letting people dress as they like?" "I wasn't talking about that," comes the reply. Uh-huh. Exactly. Be careful what you wish for.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Cliff-FLL said:

"Lowest common denominator"  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

What anyone thinks or what their opinion is has no bearing on what people can or cannot wear. All that matters is what the published policy is. End of story. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

I would never call anyone tacky for wearing a suit and tie in a venue that allows jeans, the converse is also true.  Although apparently you can't wear Converse in the GDR or specialties, even if you are an all star. Chuck Taylor All Star Move Platform Women's High Top Shoe. Converse.com

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, ORV said:

What anyone thinks or what their opinion is has no bearing on what people can or cannot wear. All that matters is what the published policy is. End of story. 

Problem is that some pax embrace the lowest denominator of style.(completely ignoring the published policy) I think they do this to get a rise out of others. Maitre D's frequently have no "balls" because they are afraid they may upset a paying customer(wow!)Well, what about the rest of us who make a reasonable effort to dress nicely to enhance the ambience? Our Cruise on Jan.31-Feb.11 had pax overall very well dressed, but we see reports from more recent cruises of some really slovenly dressed pax. Why was this, I wonder. Even in Terrace pax were really quite nicely dressed on our cruise.

Edited by rbtan
spelling
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, rbtan said:

Problem is that some pax embrace the lowest denominator of style.(completely ignoring the published policy) I think they do this to get a rise out of others. Maitre D's frequently have no "balls" because they are afraid they may upset a paying customer(wow!)Well, what about the rest of us who make a reasonable effort to dress nicely to enhance the ambience? Our Cruise on Jan.31-Feb.11 had pax overall very well dressed, but we see reports from more recent cruises of some really slovenly dressed pax. Why was this, I wonder. Even in Terrace pax were really quite nicely dressed on our cruise.

Here's a photo from Red Ginger on the Sirena in January 2023.  This woman is on her way out of the dining room after dinner.  The Maitre D obviously had no problem with her appearance.  (That's him on the left.)

20230115_115339.jpg

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Twiga said:

Here's a photo from Red Ginger on the Sirena in January 2023.  This woman is on her way out of the dining room after dinner.  The Maitre D obviously had no problem with her appearance.  (That's him on the left.)

20230115_115339.jpg

Pretty sloppy.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Twiga said:

20230115_115339.jpg

Some  take  "Country Casual"  to the extreme 🙄

12 hours ago, Twiga said:

20230115_115339.jpg

Gotta admit that I feel pity for people this desperate for attention.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/17/2023 at 1:52 PM, ORV said:

Exactly. Heck, I even got a few comments about being too dressed up on my last Sirena cruise. (For reference, I was wearing a plain black dress with a black sheer poncho covering my shoulders and upper arms.) There really is no pleasing some people. If it meets the published policy, it's fine.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Twiga said:

20230115_115339.jpg

13 hours ago, samiam0403 said:

Exactly. Heck, I even got a few comments about being too dressed up on my last Sirena cruise. (For reference, I was wearing a plain black dress with a black sheer poncho covering my shoulders and upper arms.) There really is no pleasing some people. If it meets the published policy, it's fine.

When you look good, you look good.The hell with the others.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Dwtlion said:

Please sent this picture to FDR. Maybe he can do an exorcism on the staff to get the hutzpah to enforce published policies.

The problem is staff with no courage(or what I posed earlier) The other problem is the supervisors not giving their employees the ability to make proper decisions on poorly dressed pax

33 minutes ago, rbtan said:

When you look good, you look good.The hell with the others.

True. I just found it odd that I got comments from older women like, 'that's not very country club casual,' or 'so much for country club casual, I guess!' And yes, those were the exact comments. So bizarre. We'll see if i get any comments when i wear the exact same outfit on my transatlantic in a few weeks. 🤷‍♀️🤣