Steak Quality in Yacht Club

Elsammo46

The steaks in YC are of excellent quality. The filet might be the same product, but I feel other cuts are more modest in size than at BC.  Also, the selection of cuts at the YC restaurant at a given seating is less extensive than at an actual steak restaurant.  At least that was our experience on Fantasia class ships. 

• Like 1

To be honest, we have not been wowed by the steak in the YC or Butchers Cut.  But our last MSC cruise was pre-covid.  Will be on the Seashore in a few weeks and will see if things have changed.  We do really enjoy MSC''s Yacht Club, but think the cuisine on MSC (and in the YC) is simply mediocre.  The one exception was on our last Divina cruise when the YC's Maitre'd made some amazing pasta dishes including a world class Cacio e Pepe.

Hank

• Like 1

I can't tell you where steaks come from on either line other than maybe the same freezer which I've toured on NCL.

I can say service and steaks in Cagney's has declined for us and has improved in Haven restaurant.  I usually order two on both lines.  NCL has moved breakfast steak to lower cut now, for your convenience, of course.

We sailed MSC 11 nights on two ships last Fall and had no issues with YC filet other than I miss them now.  We always love BC and whether it is really a better steak or not or just the overall better meal options, it is great.  For our BC meal, we asked Arthur what was going to be for dinner in YC the next night to decide where to eat and he said he'd grab filet from BC to have in YC the next night.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mushroom said:

A few months ago I ordered the "always available" steak on Divina YC.  It was one of the best steaks I've ever had...ever!  

I have to agree. My recent Divina YC experience is similar. In fact it was so good I asked the Restaurant Manager if they had changed beef purveyors for Port Canaveral. Steaks a few months earlier on Meraviglia, even in Butcher’s Cut, were not even Choice, much less Prime. I plan on foregoing our Diamond dinner and just have the steak in YC. Advantage is no limitation on menu selections for everything else.

Dennis

• Like 2

No idea whether the steaks are of the same quality in YC as in Butcher's Cut.  What beef I ate in YC met my expectations as to flavor and tenderness.  I would have to review my journal, but, I think I ordered more of the different pasta entrees and seafood than I did beef or pork.  

• Like 1

I guess it depends what  region you are cruising.

We sailed Caribbean and quality of beef was excellent. 
Sailed NCL in May, in Haven. Cruise to Alaska.
Steak in Haven restaurant was not good. Tough and not proper cut for fillet. Most likely strip steak cut in half.

Had good beef in specialty restaurants. Should not be this way, IMHO.

Looking forward to our cruise next month on Divina, in YC.

19 hours ago, phissy said:

I guess it depends what  region you are cruising.

We sailed Caribbean and quality of beef was excellent. 
Sailed NCL in May, in Haven. Cruise to Alaska.
Steak in Haven restaurant was not good. Tough and not proper cut for fillet. Most likely strip steak cut in half.

Had good beef in specialty restaurants. Should not be this way, IMHO.

Looking forward to our cruise next month on Divina, in YC.

Sailing this week on NCL after four year break.  We'll see how steaks are in Haven unless we get lucky with leftovers from VIP trip.

I'd attribute NCL decline purely at saving money, for your convenience, of course.  One of my favorites was breakfast filet and eggs which NCL has downgraded.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dexddd said:

Sailing this week on NCL after four year break.  We'll see how steaks are in Haven unless we get lucky with leftovers from VIP trip.

I'd attribute NCL decline purely at saving money, for your convenience, of course.  One of my favorites was breakfast filet and eggs which NCL has downgraded.

Wow, sounds like fun.

I am assuming you are on the Prima?   We are booked on Prima next September (2023). 

I just completed check in for our cruise on Divina , in October.

This will be a new ship for us, looking forward to YC on this ship. 

Again, 

Have a great trip.

Edited by phissy
  • Like 1

On 9/12/2022 at 8:45 AM, kelleherdl said:

I have to agree. My recent Divina YC experience is similar. In fact it was so good I asked the Restaurant Manager if they had changed beef purveyors for Port Canaveral. Steaks a few months earlier on Meraviglia, even in Butcher’s Cut, were not even Choice, much less Prime. I plan on foregoing our Diamond dinner and just have the steak in YC. Advantage is no limitation on menu selections for everything else.

Dennis

The filet in YC was very good the 2 weeks we were on Seashore in June/July. I would say slightly better than BC filet we had. Definitely better cut of meat on Seashore (2022) than on Seaside(2019). On Seaside, BC filet was better than YC restaurant.  

MSC YC filet was better than the Royal filet I had last week.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, phissy said:

Wow, sounds like fun.

I am assuming you are on the Prima?   We are booked on Prima next September (2023). 

I just completed check in for our cruise on Divina , in October.

This will be a new ship for us, looking forward to YC on this ship. 

Again, 

Have a great trip.

Yes, Prima.  Hearing mixed reviews which is normal.

Been on Divinia twice.  Last fall YC was pretty empty but still great and Arthur was on but he is in the Med supposedly.

Since Le Muse is in the back, we found it easy to go down to 13 which is cabins and walk back to last elevator bank then up two floors.

Note also if by pool, there is a small inside corridor behind the bar with two elevators that go down to other decks.  These are YC express elevators and very convenient to go to main part of ship and back.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dexddd said:

Yes, Prima.  Hearing mixed reviews which is normal.

Been on Divinia twice.  Last fall YC was pretty empty but still great and Arthur was on but he is in the Med supposedly.

Since Le Muse is in the back, we found it easy to go down to 13 which is cabins and walk back to last elevator bank then up two floors.

Note also if by pool, there is a small inside corridor behind the bar with two elevators that go down to other decks.  These are YC express elevators and very convenient to go to main part of ship and back.

Thanks so much for the tips! 
Looking forward to trying a new ship, for us.

I remember you did Meraviglia then Divina (B2B) last fall.  We had your cabin on Meraviglia right after you did. 😉

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Prima.

Safe travels.

Edited by phissy