Teen dress code in Yacht Club restaurant Caribbean cruise

shellyd1

Weve done Yacht Club twice for Caribean cruises,,,, I wore shorts several nights with a polo...as did many others. Cruising has become much more casual.... 

You will also find you will eat many of your breakfasts and lunches on the Sun deck where they offer a nice variety of food....

1 hour ago, spinnaker2 said:

Aboard now and many adults dress in shorts baseball caps and wrinkled tshirts

last night a woman wore her msc slippers to dinner with her shorts

I think this is the problem, expectation Vs reality.

The reality is people will wear what they want.

Let's be honest, if you pay for the experience you can make what you wish of it. 

Is it nice to get dressed up, for some yes it is, but it's also nice to dress down if you spend 300+ days a year at work in a 3 piece suit. 

I've always been a believer in, effort > attire.

If you look good, and feel good, made an effort to look your best in whatever you wear that that should be more than enough.

Some people can't afford to bring extra luggage on the plane let alone buy 7 dress suits. Cruising is now an affordable family holiday for all, just enjoy it and stop worrying about other people.

If you really want dress codes, upper class guests and all the other formalities then go and book onto a high end luxury line that the working class man can't afford to go on. Simples.

Don't book MSC, who cater for all those that want to be part of an inclusive for all community and experience cruising for all budgets.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 77red96 said:

I've always been a believer in, effort > attire.

I'm more concerned with behavior than dress.  A man in a tuxedo loudly and rudely berating a Top Sail butler for a "poisoned drink" he was served gains no amount of respect from me.  A teenager in shorts who says please and thank you to the server is, to my mind, a proper gentleman.  One of the nuns who "taught me" (substitute "beat me senseless" here) years ago said something I have found wise.  She said, "If you want to know the quality of an individual, don't look at how they dress.  Look at how they treat and talk to their parents and friends."  That always stuck with me.

• Like 7

Hello Shelly-

Enjoy YC with your family in any manner that is comfortable for you.

Do not let the monocle and top hat folks here tell you how to dress.

I paid for my cruise, I will enjoy it the way I see fit. I wear shorts/tshirt/flipflops/hats...anytime I want onboard. 

Never have been asked to change or refused service by MSC staff in YC, MDR, or specialty restaurants, nor theaters/lounges.

Some folks enjoy formal wear on cruises, that's fine...for me it is about relaxing...

cruise hair! don't care...put on a hat and have dinner😃

Cheers, enjoy your cruise the way you want...others can suggest...but when they try to tell you what to do...they can pack sand!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NMsunset said:

Hello Shelly-

Enjoy YC with your family in any manner that is comfortable for you.

Do not let the monocle and top hat folks here tell you how to dress.

I paid for my cruise, I will enjoy it the way I see fit. I wear shorts/tshirt/flipflops/hats...anytime I want onboard. 

Never have been asked to change or refused service by MSC staff in YC, MDR, or specialty restaurants, nor theaters/lounges.

Some folks enjoy formal wear on cruises, that's fine...for me it is about relaxing...

cruise hair! don't care...put on a hat and have dinner😃

Cheers, enjoy your cruise the way you want...others can suggest...but when they try to tell you what to do...they can pack sand!

This sums it up perfectly.

Yep, completely sums up as more me, me, me.  Tis the modern way.  No way would anyone want to show some respect for others.  And books do often get judged by their cover because first impressions are lasting and important.  It is why publishers pay a lot of money for cover design.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Yep, completely sums up as more me, me, me.  Tis the modern way.  No way would anyone want to show some respect for others.  And books do often get judged by their cover because first impressions are lasting and important.  It is why publishers pay a lot of money for cover design.

Hank

Bingo.

Last time I post about dress. This post is for information only and based on what I saw in the YC. 

Last night was elegant night.

Saw 2 men in black tie.

A few gowns.

But majority of men in shirts, no tie, no jacket. Some jeans, other types of trousers. Didn't see shorts.

Women in variety of attire.

Saw one young girl in a dress, another teen in a crop top and tight pants.

There is no "dress code" really. 

I wish I had the correct info about the attire aboard. I would have been able to pack much less.

No one wore a book cover.

• Like 2

On 9/19/2022 at 11:30 AM, 77red96 said:

If you really want dress codes, upper class guests and all the other formalities then go and book onto a high end luxury line that the working class man can't afford to go on. Simples.

Don't book MSC, who cater for all those that want to be part of an inclusive for all community and experience cruising for all budgets.

We are talking about YC here.  There is a dress code.  Unfortunately the bullied Maitre D's by the "it's my cruise I'll do what I want" folks are afraid to enforce it."  IMO if you want to wear flip flops and shorts go to the buffet.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Morgsmom said:

We are talking about YC here.  There is a dress code.  Unfortunately the bullied Maitre D's by the "it's my cruise I'll do what I want" folks are afraid to enforce it."  IMO if you want to wear flip flops and shorts go to the buffet.

Yeah I understand what you are saying but I genuinely don't think it makes any difference. Dress smart and look good.

Come on now, bullying..... Hyperbole much!

If MSC wanted the dress code to be enforced it would be.

Like they don't give out free drinks at the bar if you say it's my cruise and I want one. They don't let you into the MDR if you are late for dinner.

They will literally remove you from the ship if you refuse to go to the muster after the third time of asking. 

If they want rules to be followed they are happy to enforce them.

I actually think they should enforce dress code rules, or drop them all together.

It would literally end all this nonsense.

Then it would be dress accordingly or go to the buffet.

The issue is no matter what they do they would risk losing customers and they don't want to risk that happening, Drop the dress code and the old timers may go elsewhere.

Enforce the dress code and the young trendy/ young families might not be so keen to cruise.

It's a lose lose situation for MSC.

Edited by 77red96
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Morgsmom said:

One consideration that is never mentioned in all this discussion of YC dress code is a consideration of the YC staff.  I know, I know we are paying for it, they are getting paid by us. I get it. If you ask YC staff which guests they enjoy most serving, you will invariably hear about the guests that respect the staff and respect the suggested standards for dress, behavior and decorum of the Yacht Club. Yes, you paid for the cruise and in your mind you will enjoy it the way you want. That will always be the case. And we all know that there will always be variability from ship to ship and cruise to cruise on what you may see or hear in the Yacht Club. But the fact remains that MSC has designed the Yacht Club Experience to be as consistently as possible at a higher standard. I am quite confident that complaints would be heard from tuxedo wearers to short wearers alike if the standard of service by Yacht Club staff ever fell below the ‘standard.’

Dennis

34 minutes ago, kelleherdl said:

One consideration that is never mentioned in all this discussion of YC dress code is a consideration of the YC staff.  I know, I know we are paying for it, they are getting paid by us. I get it. If you ask YC staff which guests they enjoy most serving, you will invariably hear about the guests that respect the staff and respect the suggested standards for dress, behavior and decorum of the Yacht Club. Yes, you paid for the cruise and in your mind you will enjoy it the way you want. That will always be the case. And we all know that there will always be variability from ship to ship and cruise to cruise on what you may see or hear in the Yacht Club. But the fact remains that MSC has designed the Yacht Club Experience to be as consistently as possible at a higher standard. I am quite confident that complaints would be heard from tuxedo wearers to short wearers alike if the standard of service by Yacht Club staff ever fell below the ‘standard.’

Dennis

Interesting point but your argument only makes sense if you make the assumption that all people who observe the 'dress code' are always respectful of the staff and all people who don't observe the 'dress code' are always disrespectful to the staff. That simply isn't true. You have muddied the two together to suit your argument.

Ok I will add one more comment.

We have cruised YC before on the Divina.and the splendida.

My husband forgot his jacket one evening and was refused entry/to be seated by the maitre d/ to the restaurant. He went back to retrieve the jacket.

Granted this was about 10 years ago and in the Med.

On formal night the YC pax were dressed to the nines. Even a young boy in a tux.

Based upon that and what I was told, I packed accordingly expecting to have the dress code enforced. 

There is no dress code enforcement, respect or not, on this cruise.

On 9/19/2022 at 2:00 PM, JAGR said:

I'm more concerned with behavior than dress.  A man in a tuxedo loudly and rudely berating a Top Sail butler for a "poisoned drink" he was served gains no amount of respect from me.  A teenager in shorts who says please and thank you to the server is, to my mind, a proper gentleman.  One of the nuns who "taught me" (substitute "beat me senseless" here) years ago said something I have found wise.  She said, "If you want to know the quality of an individual, don't look at how they dress.  Look at how they treat and talk to their parents and friends."  That always stuck with me.

Jagr, I was thinking the same thing!  

I was on a Caribbean cruise on the Armonia and teenagers were sent away from the Aurea restaurant because of wearing short trousers. But this was a cruise from Havana where US guests did or could not show up, all Europeans, Asians and Latin Americans. Probably they adopt the dress code enforcement for different markets.