Middle name on boarding documents

believe123

Good morning, we are sailing MSC for the first time next month. When I booked it on their website it didn’t give me the option to put in our middle names. I called MSC and they said they would add it. They did but then when we got our e-tickets it still didn’t have our middle names. I called back and they reissued them but it still didn’t have our middle names. I know it needs to match our passports. My question is did this happen to anyone else and you didn’t have any issues boarding? Thanks in advance. 

Just checked as I suppose it was nothing I paid attention to before - our middle names are not on our cruise docs/tickets. I would suggest they have never been. Not an issue. 

5 hours ago, believe123 said:

Good morning, we are sailing MSC for the first time next month. When I booked it on their website it didn’t give me the option to put in our middle names. I called MSC and they said they would add it. They did but then when we got our e-tickets it still didn’t have our middle names. I called back and they reissued them but it still didn’t have our middle names. I know it needs to match our passports. My question is did this happen to anyone else and you didn’t have any issues boarding? Thanks in advance. 

• 1 year later...
On 9/15/2022 at 11:44 AM, Morgsmom said:

In the list of things that'd I would be concerned about this would rank a firm 99 out of 100.  MSC has many more issues than this 🙂

I went through a huge hassle because of this.  Name didn’t match my passport.  So yes it could be a problem ranking at a firm 1 if they don’t let you board.  

On 9/15/2022 at 10:36 AM, believe123 said:

I finally put my middle name as part of my first name.  That is how I got around it.  It took many tries (MSC customer service not the best) but finally got it done.  I couldn’t check it till I did.  

• 2 months later...

Similar situation. I called MSC and they said they would add it. They did but the e-tickets still didn’t have the middle name. I called back and they reissued them but it still didn’t have the middle name. I called back and they said it's not a problem if the middle name it's not on the e-ticket. I know it needs to match the passport. Did this happen to anyone else and you didn’t have any issues boarding? Or should I call for the 4 time? Thanks.

57 minutes ago, bielle said:

Similar situation. I called MSC and they said they would add it. They did but the e-tickets still didn’t have the middle name. I called back and they reissued them but it still didn’t have the middle name. I called back and they said it's not a problem if the middle name it's not on the e-ticket. I know it needs to match the passport. Did this happen to anyone else and you didn’t have any issues boarding? Or should I call for the 4 time? Thanks.

This is exactly what happened to me.
I did print out the booking confirmation which DID show the middle names correctly, but no matter how many times I called, or had them re-send the boarding passes, it just would not reflect the middle names.

I am happy to report it was not an issue checking in or boarding 😊

Not had a problem with this across several cruise lines.

If your middle name is listed then it needs to match your passport, but not had any issues with it not being listed.

Hello:

We live in a very global world and let me suggest that you think globally for first and last names.
I suggest that all names be in a single record and all surnames in a single record every time you go on a cruise (or travel abroad)

Whoever has first name and middle name will get used to writing them in different fields. However, in places where there is no middle name, how do they do it? Or is there no possibility at all?

I give an example:
Andrew John Ridgeley

1st name: Andrew
Middle name: John
Surname: Ridgeley

If the database works like this, perfect.

But if the database works in mode
Name + Surname clearly 1st name = Name, Surname = Surname and the Middle Name is completely lost.

What is the solution?
1st name: Andrew John
Middle name: ******

and be assured that your name will appear everywhere.

Just use you passport First Name and Passport Last name.  When your passport is scanned at boarding your full passport name will be put on the manifest for the cruise. What you put in the booking will be overwritten. Your cruise card will be printed with the booking name. It will not be a problem.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kelleherdl said:

Just use you passport First Name and Passport Last name.  When your passport is scanned at boarding your full passport name will be put on the manifest for the cruise. What you put in the booking will be overwritten. Your cruise card will be printed with the booking name. It will not be a problem.

Hi, 

in my passport I have:

- Name

- First surname

- Second surname

It comes from having both parents names (my second surname is my mother's first surname, my daughters have as surnames my first one and my wife's first one).

If my passport is scanned I am absolutely sure second surname information will be lost.

For those reasons, cruise company wrote my full name as

name = Name

surname = first surname + second surname

(and so did with all my family)

Local police do not bother in those cases. They know it is the only way not to be crazy in any other corner of the world.  For other purposes they fill always both ones separately.

For the same reason I recommend to write "First name + middle name" as name

I have the same issue. My passport has my full name , but there is no section for "middle name" it just says "surname" and "given names".  So, my middle name is there with my first name. But, on the MSC booking, it just has my first name.   We've sailed 14 times before, and never had an issue. BUT, I went to do the online checkin for our cruise next month, and it scanned my passport, but gave me an error that the document doesn't match the reservation.  

Can I just skip the online check in and just show up at the port?  

On 9/16/2022 at 8:26 AM, gsc500 said:

Sailed on MSC and various cruise lines in the States and in Europe and my husband did not have his middle name on any travel documents even though it is on his passport...

Well, it is not totally. The machine readable part of your passport does not include middle names. And a first name “Mary-Jane” is written as Maryjane. A missing middle name is never a problem, no matter if airline or cruise line.

On 2/9/2024 at 11:14 PM, Toddcan said:

I have the same issue. My passport has my full name , but there is no section for "middle name" it just says "surname" and "given names".  So, my middle name is there with my first name. But, on the MSC booking, it just has my first name.   We've sailed 14 times before, and never had an issue. BUT, I went to do the online checkin for our cruise next month, and it scanned my passport, but gave me an error that the document doesn't match the reservation.  

Can I just skip the online check in and just show up at the port?  

I checked in on the PC and not on the app. I entered all the data manually.
I'll be boarding in a week, I'll let you know how it went with the middle name issue.

On 2/10/2024 at 9:22 AM, perakcruiser said:

Well, it is not totally. The machine readable part of your passport does not include middle names. And a first name “Mary-Jane” is written as Maryjane. A missing middle name is never a problem, no matter if airline or cruise line.

The machine readable part of my passport does include the middle name. Last name<<name<middle name<<<<<<

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/6/2024 at 4:54 AM, alserrod said:

I give an example:
Andrew John Ridgeley

1st name: Andrew
Middle name: John

andrew-ridgeley-02-mjvt-superJumbo.jpg

How did I not notice that we have an actual celebrity on the forum?