Bringing Drones on ships

Szt

We have a teeny little drone smaller than a cell phone. Since my joy is photography but my mobility is limited, I was hoping to use the drone to take pictures from the walls and vistas I cannot climb. 
I see drones are in the “do not bring” list. We have no intention of pulling it out in board. But do you think they will notice it in our luggage when we board? Or in our back packs when we return from a port? It looks like a little portable charger except for little wings that fold in. If they do prohibit it, will they return it at the end of the cruise? It would be worth risking it if we will get it back. 
Or, could we tell them we have it and leave it with the bursar till the end? We are traveling beyond the cruise and can use it then. 
Would love hell making this choice. 

1 hour ago, Szt said:

… We have no intention of pulling it out in board. But do you think they will notice it in our luggage when we board? Or in our back packs when we return from a port? ….

Unlikely it would be noted in luggage upon boarding or in back pack for port calls — but you might want to check local regulations where you might want to use it.

• Like 2

As long as you are fine with having it seized when you board, or having it seized and fined if you use it ashore where it isn't permitted....

Perhaps the safer option is to openly surrender it at the boarding inspection and pick it up when you leave the ship.

Edited by mom says

3 hours ago, Szt said:

We have a teeny little drone smaller than a cell phone. Since my joy is photography but my mobility is limited, I was hoping to use the drone to take pictures from the walls and vistas I cannot climb. 
I see drones are in the “do not bring” list. We have no intention of pulling it out in board. But do you think they will notice it in our luggage when we board? Or in our back packs when we return from a port? It looks like a little portable charger except for little wings that fold in. If they do prohibit it, will they return it at the end of the cruise? It would be worth risking it if we will get it back. 
Or, could we tell them we have it and leave it with the bursar till the end? We are traveling beyond the cruise and can use it then. 
Would love hell making this choice. 

Please leave the drone home and by the commercially made DVDs with a zillion great photos.

• Like 3

It doesn't sound like it will be 'obvious', but I'd put it in a wrapping with your name and cabin number just in case they want to confiscate it.  Then you can pick it up at the end of the cruise.  I know the thrill of photography and the sadness of not being able to get around like you used to.  You're probably familiar with the protocol of when/where you can use it, so checking specifics is a good idea. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mom says said:

As long as you are fine with having it seized when you board, or having it seized and fined if you use it ashore where it isn't permitted....

Perhaps the safer option is to openly surrender it at the boarding inspection and pick it up when you leave the ship.

Good advice:  but I am curious —- how many people on this site have experienced, or even observed, the sort of pre-boarding inspection that would reveal devices similar to that described by OP?

There's a bigger issue than whether or not the ship notices and confiscates it. Every country has their own rules on what is legal and illegal in the use of drones. There are plenty of places in the US where it is illegal to fly one. Using a drone in places you are unfamiliar with is a good way to get a citation or worse. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Good advice:  but I am curious —- how many people on this site have experienced, or even observed, the sort of pre-boarding inspection that would reveal devices similar to that described by OP?

Just this past summer, DW’s checked luggage was held up for onboard inspection - curling iron. But, she was allowed to keep it.

4 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Well I had to open my carry on so they could check out an extra battery pack. Are you saying it's OK to bring on an item that is specifically banned just because it's unlikely to be detected?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mom says said:

Well I had to open my carry on so they could check out an extra battery pack. Are you saying it's OK to bring on an item that is specifically banned just because it's unlikely to be detected?

OP wants to use it when traveling at the end of the cruise. So I think bringing it is ethically OK. If they detect it they will return it at the end of the cruise. I don't think they need to volunteer the info they have it but they might want to.

When they travel beyond the cruise as other people warned they need to check the local regulations. I used to live in a drone free zone and peeps would get into trouble. I also saw someone get in trouble at a National Park. In a foreign country OP should be very careful. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

OP wants to use it when traveling at the end of the cruise. So I think bringing it is ethically OK. If they detect it they will return it at the end of the cruise. I don't think they need to volunteer the info they have it but they might want to.

When they travel beyond the cruise as other people warned they need to check the local regulations. I used to live in a drone free zone and peeps would get into trouble. I also saw someone get in trouble at a National Park. In a foreign country OP should be very careful. 

They mentioned "Or in our backpacks when we return from a port?" meaning they intend to use it in ports.  

20 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

They mentioned "Or in our backpacks when we return from a port?" meaning they intend to use it in ports.  

I don't think they should take it off to use in ports but some cruise lines do permit drones to be brought onboard and to be used in ports. They did not name the cruise line so I assume they are correct that they are not permitted on the cruise line they are on. If wanted to use a drone I would only book on one of the cruise lines that permit it. 

3 hours ago, mom says said:

Not at all - if you read my post you would realize that I had simply asked whether anyone had experienced/observed luggage searches upon boarding.  On a related matter, have lines cautioned against bringing drones on board?  I do not recall seeing such specific bans other than those addressing firearms and, of course, liquor.

I regularly carry an extra battery pack and have never had it questioned upon boarding a ship.

3 hours ago, mom says said:

Not at all - if you read my post you would realize that I had simply asked whether anyone had experienced/observed luggage searches upon boarding.  On a related matter, have lines cautioned against bringing drones on board?  I do not recall seeing such specific bans other than those addressing firearms and, of course, liquor.

I regularly carry an extra battery pack and have never had it questioned upon boarding a ship.

My curiosity piqued, I checked Carnival’s list of banned items :  rather long.

Among forbidden items: helium balloons, inflatable kiddy pools, satellite phones, handcuffs, boom boxes and large radios (certainly not enforced on my one Carnival cruise), laser pointers, candles and incense, footwear with wheels, kayaks and canoes, and curling irons — among many other things —- but no mention of drones.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Check Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. They allow them with strict conditions. Can't use them on the ship or port area, not on the private islands,  yata, yata. 

4 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Among forbidden items: helium balloons, inflatable kiddy pools, satellite phones, handcuffs, boom boxes and large radios (certainly not enforced on my one Carnival cruise), laser pointers, candles and incense, footwear with wheels, kayaks and canoes, and curling irons — among many other things —- but no mention of drones.

Well that reminds me why I don't cruise Carnival ... they won't let me put my inflatable pool on the balcony and splash around out there.  Such narrow minds.   I'm impressed with your use and spelling of the word piqued.

Edited by jsn55

14 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

From one set of Carnival's FAQs:

Items for Port Use Only

The following items may be brought on board, but can be used off the ship, while in port only. All items must be stored in the guest’s stateroom.  

• Drone(s) are allowed, but must be held in the custody of the Chief Security Officer and must be checked out/in by the owner for PORT USE ONLY.

From Princess FAQs (https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/pre-cruise/prepare-for-your-cruise/?accordion=prohibited-items )

• Drones also referred to as Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) or Remotely Piloted Aerial Vehicle (RPA), and any other remote controlled aerial devices/toys.
Edited by capriccio

From NCL's FAQ's.

What not to bring onboard

Passengers should not bring the following items onboard any Norwegian Cruise Line ship:

• Drones (Game Flying Device)
    Guests are not permitted to bring drones onboard for safety of other guests, as well as the welfare of the vessel.

OP should carefully research the FAQs and forbidden/restricted lists of the specific cruise line. As the various citations above so, there is no consistent policy.

There is no guarantee that trying to take a forbidden drone in luggage would result in it being confiscated and returned -- somethings are simply disposed of! Good drones are expensive! 

2 hours ago, crystalspin said:

OP should carefully research the FAQs and forbidden/restricted lists of the specific cruise line. As the various citations above so, there is no consistent policy.

There is no guarantee that trying to take a forbidden drone in luggage would result in it being confiscated and returned -- somethings are simply disposed of! Good drones are expensive! 

Drones if confiscated will be held and  returned. Drones are not going to be disposed of. It will be like all the irons, steamers, alcohol, and coffee makers. They will issue a receipt and they will be able to pick it up at the end of the cruise.

12 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Alcohol in luggage is definitely disposed of on at least some lines.

What line? I have been on a lot of lines with groups. There were always some who were naughty, (not on purpose.... newbies)  and people always got their stuff back.

Edited by Charles4515

14 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

What line? I have been on a lot of lines with groups. There were always some who were naughty, (not on purpose.... newbies)  and people always got their stuff back.

From Holland America's FAQs: "All checked and carry-on luggage will be scanned and any prohibited items, including alcoholic/nonalcoholic beverages will be removed, confiscated, and discarded."  (underlining mine)

Edited by crystalspin