What do I do in a Thermal Spa/Suite?

kessdarln

5 minutes ago, kessdarln said:

I have never been to a spa and now I have this package for a TA.  I love hot tubs, but otherwise, what do I do? How do I do and what order? Tips, Advice, and Personal Experiences welcome.  🙃

It’s just an area with hot tubs/pools, heated and regular loungers, sauna, steam room, maybe some other rooms.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kessdarln said:

I have never been to a spa and now I have this package for a TA.  I love hot tubs, but otherwise, what do I do? How do I do and what order? Tips, Advice, and Personal Experiences welcome.  🙃

Depending on the ship you're on, as you mention, there will be a hot tub, a "cool" tub, a salt room, a steam room, a sauna, heated loungers.  Order doesn't matter.

You can take a book, take a nap, rest your bones, sweat out the libations you've been imbibing, etc. Up to you!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kessdarln said:

You just chillax my dude 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

When I drink, or after a heavy meal, I do a circuit. Therapy pool to beat my muscles up (the bubbles are amazing), go to the sauna for 15 minutes to sweat the toxins out, take a cold shower (water's not nearly cold enough), then lay on a lounger for a few minutes...repeat as long as I want. I've been known to do this for three hours.

If I'm just going in the morning, or sometime during the day and haven't eaten a lot, or drank anything, I'll just pop from one place to the next as I feel.

Enjoy - thermal suites are amazing! Even on hot Caribbean cruises. 🙂 

Also, I cannot wait until I cruise on a ship with a snow room. It'll beat the not-so cold shower! I love freezing! 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

When I drink, or after a heavy meal, I do a circuit. Therapy pool to beat my muscles up (the bubbles are amazing), go to the sauna for 15 minutes to sweat the toxins out, take a cold shower (water's not nearly cold enough), then lay on a lounger for a few minutes...repeat as long as I want. I've been known to do this for three hours.

If I'm just going in the morning, or sometime during the day and haven't eaten a lot, or drank anything, I'll just pop from one place to the next as I feel.

Enjoy - thermal suites are amazing! Even on hot Caribbean cruises. 🙂 

Also, I cannot wait until I cruise on a ship with a snow room. It'll beat the not-so cold shower! I love freezing! 

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for! The snow room, ha ha, I dislike being cold but if it is useful I'll give it a shot.  🙂 

• Like 1

My first two cruises with NCL I was on the Epic in a studio.  I used the Thermal Spa as people mention above, but I also used it to shower and wash my hair.  The showers weren't huge, but they were definitely larger than the shower in my cabin.  They also have hair dryers in the dressing area which was nice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kessdarln said:

It's very nice and relaxing, depending on your ship you might have more options then other ships. I was on the Escape that had a big "therapy" pool, ice room, cold pool, steam room, relaxing warm benches, sauna.

I was recently on the Pearl and it was much smaller but looked nice. It didn't have an ice room, but had a cold pool, a larger therapy pool, warm benches (although not as many) and wasn't as large as the Escape. I took a tour, but didn't get the pass on the Pearl.

In the evening it was not crowded, nice quiet time to use it. When I was on the Escape, coming back from Bermuda, it was a little stormy and the therapy pool which wasn't supposed to be a "wave pool", was one.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, CTCruiser001 said:

Is it warm in the spa? I imagine with the hot tub it can get warm and stuffy due to the lack of fresh air. 

I'd love to use the spa to relax and soak in the pools, but not it it is stuffy and warm...

We did a tour of the Spa on one of the NCL ships.  "stuffy and warm" along with humid is what we thought.  Especially humid.  We just didn't get why we'd want to hang out for any amount of time there.  Sauna, steam, whirlpools I get.  The heated loungers and the idea of hanging around in that space for any amount of time was not appealing because of the heat and humidity and being inside.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

We did a tour of the Spa on one of the NCL ships.  "stuffy and warm" along with humid is what we thought.  Especially humid.  We just didn't get why we'd want to hang out for any amount of time there.  Sauna, steam, whirlpools I get.  The heated loungers and the idea of hanging around in that space for any amount of time was not appealing because of the heat and humidity and being inside.

Hmm. That's disappointing to hear. Thanks for sharing your experience!

32 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

Your description is spot-on! Which is why I love the thermal suite. I was surprised the temperature is well regulated, even in hot ports. When we were in Great Stirrup Cay the outside temp was 102 degrees. Inside the thermal suite, it was the normal thermal suite temp (whatever that is). I spent more time in the thermal suite than on the open decks after returning to the ship.

• Like 2

LIked the Spa when I cruised Alaska, but as is pointed out, liked it just as much when I’ve cruised the Caribbean.  Generally speaking, the Spa has the best views on the ship.  So, great just to sit and marvel at your vantage point.

Stuffy?  No!  Warm and humid?  Yeah!  But, it is regulated.  And, some of the rooms (snow and salt) are cooler than others.  There is also a steam room and a sauna.  Both get toasty.

Whirlpool is not super hot.  It’s actually quite comfy!

But, it’s a thermal spa for a reason. If you don’t like thermal spas, then save your money.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

LIked the Spa when I cruised Alaska, but as is pointed out, liked it just as much when I’ve cruised the Caribbean.  Generally speaking, the Spa has the best views on the ship.  So, great just to sit and marvel at your vantage point.

Stuffy?  No!  Warm and humid?  Yeah!  But, it is regulated.  And, some of the rooms (snow and salt) are cooler than others.  There is also a steam room and a sauna.  Both get toasty.

Whirlpool is not super hot.  It’s actually quite comfy!

But, it’s a thermal spa for a reason. If you don’t like thermal spas, then save your money.

imagine being in the spa if it were freezing in there, everyone in their bathing suit, wet. LOL, The word " Thermal" should give someone a clue of the temperature in the spa...LOL

• Haha 1

Make sure you see the Thermal Spa amenities on the ship you choose....one size does NOT fit all.  The newer ships have many more features.  Sky doesn't have one at all.  One of my favorite features are the heated loungers; but I have old bones and sore muscles.  After a day of touring, those were great!  On a TA they might not be so needed.  Just know what is available on the ship you are on so that you won't be surprised or disappointed.  And consider how much time is available for you to use it (port intensive, you might not have as often to use!)  For me, the Thermal Spa is on my "yes, please" list! 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It really depends on what the ship offers. Look for a couple YouTube reviews if your ship so you get a better view than in a drawing. 

We dif a TA in Epic (don't recall if in Spa “suite” or a Spa pass ) - poll was great - huge variety of jets and in pool loungers, but they had to close the pool 2-3 days because of the motion from the ocean - it turned into a serious wave pool, sloshing right over the sides. The crew initially trued to make a towel dam around it but it wasn't a dike and  couldn’t hold back the water 🌊
There were a couple smaller pools attached - hot tub and a calmer pool. Best feature in addition to the side wall kets was the waterfall - great job pounding  into your shoulders!

my favorite was Epics aromatherapy room (steamy eucalyptus if i recall) followed by the dry sauna. The Epic was originally intended for a French clientele so might explain the smaller saunas in the kicker rooms, which dome used for au natural steaming. All the saunas could hold easily 8-10 people.

The heated tile/stone loungers were great … if you could get them. Usually i found them full if people sleeping, ir inoperative. Also had a small rear facing balcony.

last cruise in Prima we were in a Spa Balcony on same deck. That was a good  thing as the kicker rooms weren’t set up for changing clothes. Looked beautiful & the loungers were not that tied up.

Prima had 2 good size pools, ine salt water one not, but only sidewall

jets which didn't work cuz the pipes were connected wrong. (Supposed to be fixed when the are in Miami )

they had 6 smaller sauna rooms included salt, charcoal, and ice (think snow cone machine) all in an enclosed corridor.  I didn’t “get” the charcoal room but the rest were nice. Lots more warm loungers as well as cushioned loungers, most with very good rear ocean views. I think someone said they had a automatic cleaning system in the windows si they didn’t get gunked up with sea salt (on deck 16). Not quite as serene as it sounds since the treadmills and weights were right above on deck 16.

Overall i liked the saunas and pool in Epic better and the serenity area on Prima better 

So lots of diversity 

as others mentioned we used the  epic locker rooms as extensions if our cabin bathroom which was very weird to use to say the least (not a bathroom per se, sink at foot of bed, WC at head if bed in a matching container to the small seni-circular translucent shower stall and your right inside the cabin entrance drying off) So glad we had Spa access fir real showers and hair washing!

3 hours ago, ColdCruise said:

It really depends on what the ship offers. Look for a couple YouTube reviews if your ship so you get a better view than in a drawing. 

We dif a TA in Epic (don't recall if in Spa “suite” or a Spa pass ) - poll was great - huge variety of jets and in pool loungers, but they had to close the pool 2-3 days because of the motion from the ocean - it turned into a serious wave pool, sloshing right over the sides. The crew initially trued to make a towel dam around it but it wasn't a dike and  couldn’t hold back the water 🌊
There were a couple smaller pools attached - hot tub and a calmer pool. Best feature in addition to the side wall kets was the waterfall - great job pounding  into your shoulders!

my favorite was Epics aromatherapy room (steamy eucalyptus if i recall) followed by the dry sauna. The Epic was originally intended for a French clientele so might explain the smaller saunas in the kicker rooms, which dome used for au natural steaming. All the saunas could hold easily 8-10 people.

The heated tile/stone loungers were great … if you could get them. Usually i found them full if people sleeping, ir inoperative. Also had a small rear facing balcony.

last cruise in Prima we were in a Spa Balcony on same deck. That was a good  thing as the kicker rooms weren’t set up for changing clothes. Looked beautiful & the loungers were not that tied up.

Prima had 2 good size pools, ine salt water one not, but only sidewall

jets which didn't work cuz the pipes were connected wrong. (Supposed to be fixed when the are in Miami )

they had 6 smaller sauna rooms included salt, charcoal, and ice (think snow cone machine) all in an enclosed corridor.  I didn’t “get” the charcoal room but the rest were nice. Lots more warm loungers as well as cushioned loungers, most with very good rear ocean views. I think someone said they had a automatic cleaning system in the windows si they didn’t get gunked up with sea salt (on deck 16). Not quite as serene as it sounds since the treadmills and weights were right above on deck 16.

Overall i liked the saunas and pool in Epic better and the serenity area on Prima better 

So lots of diversity 

as others mentioned we used the  epic locker rooms as extensions if our cabin bathroom which was very weird to use to say the least (not a bathroom per se, sink at foot of bed, WC at head if bed in a matching container to the small seni-circular translucent shower stall and your right inside the cabin entrance drying off) So glad we had Spa access fir real showers and hair washing!

Epic is where I have it.  Not much of a sundeck person and looking forward to a 'hot tub' in the shade.  Thank you. ☺️

16 minutes ago, kessdarln said:

Epic is where I have it.  Not much of a sundeck person and looking forward to a 'hot tub' in the shade.  Thank you. ☺️

Your welcome. I hope you enjoy the Spa and would be very interested in you room review. My husband won’t sailEpic again - hated the room, esp the non-bathroom & mostly used the Spa locker room as an alternate bathroom.

2 hours ago, ColdCruise said:

Your welcome. I hope you enjoy the Spa and would be very interested in you room review. My husband won’t sailEpic again - hated the room, esp the non-bathroom & mostly used the Spa locker room as an alternate bathroom.

Did a studio the first time, way too far from the lounge, glad they updated the design. I am in a free inside right above the spa. Free? ha ha.  I l LOVE the Prima studio bathrooms, so much better than Epic, all of them. Did bid for an upgrade, for the cabin that is the farthest from the SPA  🙃☺️😄

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I like to get salted, boiled, and steamed. My husband jokes that they just need to add butter! Depending on the ship, I like to spend a little time in the salt room, then a long time in the "lobster pot" which is the portion of the pool you can stand in and there are lots of bubbles, then I try to see if I can last 10 minutes in the sanarium, then I go read my book on the heated loungers for a while.

• Haha 2