Current Lists of Wine on Board (2022/23)

luv2travel90266

2 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

I tried lots of the gin & vodka cocktails on Quest last month - loved Berry Berry Gin - Gin & Chambord.

I’ve recently rediscovered Gin… Fog Horn (essentially a Gin Mule) & Triple G (Gin, St. Germaine, & Ginger Beer) are favs.

• Like 4

On 12/3/2022 at 2:00 PM, luv2travel90266 said:

One note I didn’t realize on my last cruise was the chefs table included better paired wines that didn’t appear on the Ultimate Bev Package. As most of the cruises come on our shore intensive the  only time I’m drinking alcohol is in the evening went back on the ship. Result was paying for the daily ultimate package fee, but not using it on nights at the chef table.

Agreed.  We bought three nights of chefs table (book early) and wines by the bottle as the best value, and included basic bevs for the rest of the time.  Most of the included wines were pretty weak, but usually something was drinkable.  Had an Italinan sav blanc and French rose until they ran out on TA.  Chefs table pairings pretty good and Som was a likable lady, working her best with what they had. 

William Fevre Chablis was a decent option with food in several cases so we bought a couple bottles.

Edited by Pizzasteve
  • Like 2

On 12/4/2022 at 7:56 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

A quick internet check says Meiomi sells for more than Estancia, and my own experience is that I prefer Meiomi over Estancia.  Do you agree?

Had the Meiomi at chefs table.  Felt it was a pinot for people who dont like pinot.  Lots of sweet american oak and for me seemed to have megared addative qualities (for that popular, no objections, type generic higher end house red by the glass, but wineries use megared for a reason).  Several folks liked it a lot.  My wife and I didnt care for it.  Estancia didnt seem to be available on Onward.

Edited by Pizzasteve
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pizzasteve said:

Estancia didnt seem to be available on Onward.

Fearful of commenting further on Pinot Noir Aza-Drama because I believe management on board are reading along.  Ordered Meiomi last night at dinner in Discoveries and I was bruskly informed by the the young sommelier that the previous night’s serving of Meiomi was “a mistake.”  Totally awkward and embarrassing in the presence of new friends at the start of dinner.  I did not make a fuss and settled for the Estancia which I was informed was the Ultimate Package Pinot Noir.  A little training in customer service would go a long way here.

Edited by Stem to Stern
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Stem to Stern said:

Fearful of commenting further on Pinot Noir Aza-Drama because I believe management on board are reading along.  Ordered Meiomi last night at dinner in Discoveries and I was bruskly informed by the the young sommelier that the previous night’s serving of Meiomi was “a mistake.”  Totally awkward and embarrassing in the presence of new friends at the start of dinner.  I did not make a fuss and settled for the Estancia which I was informed was the Ultimate Package Pinot Noir.  A little training in customer service would go a long way here.

Agree. I was briskly told last night not to have a certain wine “as I wouldn’t like it”. Actually just had it at lunchtime and I do like it. We found the gentleman’s knowledge of wine to be very poor so a lot of training is needed. (And we are NOT wine experts) 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, takemewithyou said:

Can anyone find out how many passengers are expected on 12/12 cruise on Onward?  Thanks! 😀I

I wonder if wines, and especially champagne, will be Re provisioned in Miami?

I asked and was told they don’t know ????

Re champagne according to the f and b manager there is plenty onboard and Nicolas reappeared last night in the Atlas Bar. It took a bit to get the bar manager to “find the stock” 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Stem to Stern said:

I'd be happy if they are reading along, that way they can better understand feedback. Mine is that the wines on the Ultimate package are sub standard for what you are asked to pay extra for. The reds are especially disappointing given what they still put up on their website. If they can find a decent Italian wine to go on the included list from a producer as respected as Cotarella, they can surely do better than Mondavi Woodbridge or a sub $10 Italian Merlot for the Ultimate list.

• Like 5

By the Glass (Ultimate package) Wine unavailability on Journey:

Wairau River Sauvignon Blanc

The Seeker Chardonay

Penley Cabernet

Matanzas Creek Merlot

Sokol Blosser Pinot Noir

Callia Alta Malbec

There are probably others not available, but this is what I've found so far.

Replacements are not consistently the same, and getting the names of the wines before having them come to the table is like pulling teeth.

Several beers are also missing from availability from what I have heard.

On 12/3/2022 at 11:31 AM, federalexpress said:

Mmmm. Tough to actually recommend anything on there. If you like Pinot, the Estancia is probably the best of a pretty 'meh' bunch.

That new group sommelier can't arrive soon enough.

That Woodbridge Cabernet goes for less than $7 a bottle in the supermarket 

I suggest you look at each of your ports and find a local and convenient wine shop. Easy to pick up a few bottles in each port including what isn’t imported home. Last night at home  I opened a 2007 Rioja that is a favorite. I can buy the current release for 22 Euros in Barcelona , 1/2 the price of it in California. Suspect if they had it on board to pay 3X. Hard to drink inferior wines on vacation than I have at home. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, luv2travel90266 said:

I suggest you look at each of your ports and find a local and convenient wine shop. Easy to pick up a few bottles in each port including what isn’t imported home. Last night at home  I opened a 2007 Rioja that is a favorite. I can buy the current release for 22 Euros in Barcelona , 1/2 the price of it in California. Suspect if they had it on board to pay 3X. Hard to drink inferior wines on vacation than I have at home. 

That’s what we are doing and packing a bottle or two.

• Like 2

On 12/3/2022 at 6:46 AM, Stem to Stern said:

When asking about Ultimate Package  inclusions in Discoveries last night on board Onward  I was presented with this menu….

(Hopefully photo loads.)

Any recommendations for the reds?

8A477D88-DDC0-4B7A-B348-977F11838C76.jpeg

Of course, there's no hard and fast equivalence between price and quality, but I can buy that Woodbridge Cab locally for $15. Oh, that price is for the 3L box. Retail.

I'm not saying or even implying that the Woodbridge isn't a decent wine, but seriously - for Azamara to upcharge for it as part of an "Ultimate" package? The knowledgeable sommeliers on Azamara must cringe internally when they hand this list out as an inducement to upgrade. 

I buy the Ultimate package, but it's almost entirely for the higher-end spirits and "name brand" sparkling water; the champagne/Chandon is nice as well.

• Like 2

I love Azamara, for the most part, but this wine situation is really disappointing to me!  I can’t remember the last time I had to bother worrying about bringing wine with me or buying it in port, but it is what it is!

Does anyone have any comments about having supply chain issues with wines on other cruise lines?  I know, for awhile, it was an issue across all cruiselines.  I haven’t kept up with whether this is still a issue with others, or just Azamara?

• Thanks 1

On Onward for the Transatlantic, there was Penley Phoenix Cabernet Sauvignon, which we both liked,  the Bayten Sauvignon Blanc, also very nice, Whispering Angel (my favourite rosé) and Henri de Verlaine champagne, which was apparently MIA on the following cruise,

1 hour ago, lisiamc said:

On Onward for the Transatlantic, there was Penley Phoenix Cabernet Sauvignon, which we both liked,  the Bayten Sauvignon Blanc, also very nice, Whispering Angel (my favourite rosé) and Henri de Verlaine champagne, which was apparently MIA on the following cruise,

That is for the Ultimate package? 
I didn’t feel the Ultimate Package was good for wine at this time last year.  For alcohol, yes.  It doesn’t sound like it had improved much and basically, you can’t rely on being served decent wine!

But I can remember the days when the included wines were fine on Azamara and were coming from the areas we were visiting.  Now, even the wines on the ultimate package are inferior, let alone the included ones.

It is disappointing that it is still going on a year later!

Leading me to wonder……is this happening across other cruiselines?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, takemewithyou said:

That is for the Ultimate package? 
I didn’t feel the Ultimate Package was good for wine at this time last year.  For alcohol, yes.  It doesn’t sound like it had improved much and basically, you can’t rely on being served decent wine!

But I can remember the days when the included wines were fine on Azamara and were coming from the areas we were visiting.  Now, even the wines on the ultimate package are inferior, let alone the included ones.

It is disappointing that it is still going on a year later!

Leading me to wonder……is this happening across other cruiselines?

Yes, those wines I mentioned were from the Ultimate package. Local wines would be great from many destinations, but I could foresee problems for a whole list of destinations such as Iceland, Scotland, and Ireland! Speaking only for myself, I don’t care if the wines are consistent from cruise to cruise or ship to ship. As long as there are good choices available, I’m happy. 

• Like 4