Onward Update Event from Azamara

Host Jazzbeau

Just now, Mackdogmolly said:

Well, I attended this joke of an event. Tony Markey and Beth Santos (from their home offices) made small talk for 45 minutes while Captain Carl struggled to connect from onboard the Onward. He managed to do so briefly a couple of times, but couldn’t hear. Azamara IT issues - shocking!! Finally, they gave up and Tony just answered questions in the chat.

Any actual updates on the condition of Onward at all?

Pretty much a bust! Talked amongst themselves mostly. Finally, someone said,  ask some of your viewers questions. Someone asked about balcony chairs and Tony didn’t know. They kept trying to get Captain Carl to join and they never could.

So really didn’t learn much. Tony did state it was a rough start but that the ship was now running smoothly like the rest of the fleet.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Well, I attended this joke of an event. Tony Markey and Beth Santos (from their home offices) made small talk for 45 minutes while Captain Carl struggled to connect from onboard the Onward. He managed to do so briefly a couple of times, but couldn’t hear. Azamara IT issues - shocking!! Finally, they gave up and Tony just answered questions in the chat.

Fail to prepare prepare to fail. What about the standard event management practice- test all your systems 

2 hours ago, uktog said:

Fail to prepare prepare to fail. What about the standard event management practice- test all your systems 

Excellent advice!

It’s circumstantial evidence but I think that they may have tried the connection to Captain Carl while they were anchored in Ashdod, but the event occurred while the ship was out to sea. Apparently the ship was late to leave port so the latter test may not have been conducted.

At one point they seemed to suggest that the Captain was trying to use his 4G network to join the chat.

Regardless, it would have been more useful if the Captain had been available to answer the viewers’ questions.

But, as I have suggested, the problem of the ships’ wifi has been clearly demonstrated.

• Like 2

Azamara needs to make the upgrade of its internet a priority.  People now expect to make video calls and conduct business regardless of location.  Make a statement and upgrade to Starlink.  It’s much more important than the balcony furniture.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 81Zoomie said:

Azamara needs to make the upgrade of its internet a priority.  People now expect to make video calls and conduct business regardless of location.  Make a statement and upgrade to Starlink.  It’s much more important than the balcony furniture.

Agreed with you……up to the point of the balcony furniture!  

• Haha 3

Never having run a cruise line, I am much more hesitant to say what Azamara needs to do, or how easy it would be.  The one thing I thought they needed to do is get rid of Royal Club Tonic – and apparently that hasn't been anywhere near as easy as we G&T fans thought it would be.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Pretty much a bust! Talked amongst themselves mostly. Finally, someone said,  ask some of your viewers questions. Someone asked about balcony chairs and Tony didn’t know. They kept trying to get Captain Carl to join and they never could.

So really didn’t learn much. Tony did state it was a rough start but that the ship was now running smoothly like the rest of the fleet.

Surely the hotel director knew the answer to the chair situation- or did the preparation not extend to considering likely questions and forming the answers. Shouldn’t need the Captain to answer hotel side questions 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, 81Zoomie said:

Azamara needs to make the upgrade of its internet a priority.  People now expect to make video calls and conduct business regardless of location.  Make a statement and upgrade to Starlink.

I thought Azamara had announced at one point that it was their intention to upgrade to Starlink? Our own concern is Onward’s air conditioning system. It apparently isn’t up to snuff in certain cabins and common rooms. We’ll be sailing through some very hot climes next year.

12 hours ago, uktog said:

Surely the hotel director knew the answer to the chair situation- or did the preparation not extend to considering likely questions and forming the answers. Shouldn’t need the Captain to answer hotel side questions 

That was my first thought! Your in charge of that? He did mention new heavier shower curtains that don’t cling are on order.🤔

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

That was my first thought! Your in charge of that? He did mention new heavier shower curtains that don’t cling are on order.🤔

As I understood it, Tony is not on board right now. Perhaps chairs have been ordered and he didn’t know if/when they will arrive.

Of course, he simply could have stated that.

At the beginning Tony was a bit amped up, as if he were presenting a show in the Cabaret. But I think the delay in answering questions was due to their belief that the Captain would soon be online.

Lesson learned, I hope.

9 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Which is nothing special they have them on Journey 

6 minutes ago, nordski said:

As I understood it, Tony is not on board right now. Perhaps chairs have been ordered and he didn’t know if/when they will arrive.

Of course, he simply could have stated that.

At the beginning Tony was a bit amped up, as if he were presenting a show in the Cabaret. But I think the delay in answering questions was due to their belief that the Captain would soon be online.

Lesson learned, I hope.

Could be. We’ll find out for ourselves in January as we have 12 days booked in the cabin that  we are booked in for the World Cruise.  

Should I be ordering a shower curtain from Amazon?  

Does Onward really not have the same shower curtains as the other ships? Those new shower curtains were so welcomed, not to mention they looked nicer.

There I was thinking the days of clinging shower curtains were gone. Never again would I have to fight with a shower curtain.

Maybe I’ll wear it to White Night. Would be quite happy to be billed the $2.99 cost to replace it. 

• Haha 4