Retreat - Chair Hogs?

Guest 4-2-N-8

On every Celebrity cruise, I’ll wait the required 45 minutes then remove their belongings and give them to one of the pool attendants. When they return and ask where their belongings were, I tell them the pool attendant has them. I usually get a dirty look, but I just smile and wish them a good day.  One couple I did this to 3 times on the same cruise. They finally got the point. I hate entitled people. 

• Like 4

Chair hogs exist on every cruise line (we have been on 16 lines) including some of the ultra luxury lines.  The only line where they seem to police the situation is on Disney where the crew has an interesting approach.  Sometimes they will walk around and when they see empty loungers they simply refold the towels (or add a nice nicely folded towel),  About a half hour later they will visit and if they towels haven't been touched they clear off the lounger!  Personal items go to lost and found!

Once upon a time, on a cruise, we noticed some loungers were empty for several hours (we were nearby chatting with friends).  We simply picked up the personal items and gave it to a pool staffer suggesting that somebody forgot their stuff.  We took those loungers and were there for several hours when, finally, a couple came over and said "these are our chairs."  We simply laughed and told them we had been there for over 2 hours, and they were welcome to the chairs when we decided to leave :).

Hank

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Frenchkona said:

On every Celebrity cruise, I’ll wait the required 45 minutes then remove their belongings and give them to one of the pool attendants. When they return and ask where their belongings were, I tell them the pool attendant has them. I usually get a dirty look, but I just smile and wish them a good day.  One couple I did this to 3 times on the same cruise. They finally got the point. I hate entitled people. 

Ditto. More power to you. Especially shaded chairs with a view.

34 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Chair hogs exist on every cruise line (we have been on 16 lines) including some of the ultra luxury lines.  The only line where they seem to police the situation is on Disney where the crew has an interesting approach.  Sometimes they will walk around and when they see empty loungers they simply refold the towels (or add a nice nicely folded towel),  About a half hour later they will visit and if they towels haven't been touched they clear off the lounger!  Personal items go to lost and found!

Once upon a time, on a cruise, we noticed some loungers were empty for several hours (we were nearby chatting with friends).  We simply picked up the personal items and gave it to a pool staffer suggesting that somebody forgot their stuff.  We took those loungers and were there for several hours when, finally, a couple came over and said "these are our chairs."  We simply laughed and told them we had been there for over 2 hours, and they were welcome to the chairs when we decided to leave :).

Hank

Nice. If we don't take it upon ourselves to establish the norms that work for everyone, then nothing works for anyone (except the entitled).

There seems to be a growing theme of people booking a suite and then their daughter, sister, husband's family  best friends whoever find suites are fully booked.....however they want their whole party dining in luminae, use the sundeck etc. as they want to be together!

I always post that they can join their friends in their allocated restaurants.if they really want to be together.....but no, they want suite perks without paying the price. Celebrity need to manage this very carefully and resist these demands otherwise the retreat facilities will be overwhelmed!

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Tony UK said:

There seems to be a growing theme of people booking a suite and then their daughter, sister, husband's family  best friends whoever find suites are fully booked.....however they want their whole party dining in luminae, use the sundeck etc. as they want to be together!

I always post that they can join their friends in their allocated restaurants.if they really want to be together.....but no, they want suite perks without paying the price. Celebrity need to manage this very carefully and resist these demands otherwise the retreat facilities will be overwhelmed!

100%

Especially if they are bringing children that cannot behave in an adult setting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, go.without.you said:

100%

Especially if they are bringing children that cannot behave in an adult setting.

Remember, it only takes one key card to allow an entire family access to retreat deck.  does this seem fair?  NOT!  
But it happens and then actual Retreat Guests can't find loungers or hot tubs to access.

But heaven forbid we police these types of infringements....

2 hours ago, Tony UK said:

Tony, are you seriously seeing this?

29 minutes ago, LMHSRN said:

Remember, it only takes one key card to allow an entire family access to retreat deck.  does this seem fair?  NOT!  
But it happens and then actual Retreat Guests can't find loungers or hot tubs to access.

But heaven forbid we police these types of infringements....

Are you seeing this happen? Is anyone verifying access? How is this possible?

19 minutes ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

I have seen this happen because I was a part of it as our friends were in the The Retreat.  We followed them up for sail away and then never went back.  I already felt funny doing that but there were not many people there and we only up there about 15 minutes or so just standing on the deck.

21 minutes ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

I've read a few times here on CC that this does happened. Like mentioned only one key card for entry and there isn't a designated gate attendant. 

I absolutely disagree with this and do believe it needs to be addressed by ~X~ but as with everything else.... if and when is up to them. 

Patty 

• Like 1

The staff at the Retreat also have photo's of every suite guest.  The bartender at the Retreat Sun Deck called us by name the first time we walked up and sat at the bar.  We were surprised and asked have we been on another ship with you.  He said No, I was looking the book of photos of suite guests and had looked at yours a couple of minutes ago.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, vermonter16 said:

I have seen this happen because I was a part of it as our friends were in the The Retreat.  We followed them up for sail away and then never went back.  I already felt funny doing that but there were not many people there and we only up there about 15 minutes or so just standing on the deck.

Shameful. I don't do move up offers. I pay full price because I want specific rooms and specific amenities. I also pay for the exclusivity.

Granted, it shouldn't be ship staff who should have to police behavior, but Celebrity needs a better way of managing this, social norm erosion notwithstanding.

Tragedy of the commons.

Edited by 4-2-N-8

16 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

Unnecessary...

Unsure your angle on my comment?

That a person abuses the system or that someone calls them out in an attempt to improve social norms?

I just want that for which I paid.

*I'm not Grouchy McGrouchmeister. I'm really a nice and friendly person, though I will call out the rules. 🙂

Edited by 4-2-N-8

34 minutes ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

Unsure your angle on my comment?

That a person abuses the system or that someone calls them out in an attempt to improve social norms?

I just want that for which I paid.

*I'm not Grouchy McGrouchmeister. I'm really a nice and friendly person, though I will call out the rules. 🙂

With all due respect, I do hope that you find time to also enjoy your vacation cruising.

24 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

With all due respect, I do hope that you find time to also enjoy your vacation cruising.

I just need my mall cop uniform and I'll be set! 😅

32 minutes ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

I just need my mall cop uniform and I'll be set! And, with my free laundry, I'll wash it and wear it every day. 😃