SYDNEY HOTEL March 2023

beatleman

1 hour ago, cayman09 said:

How's the Pier One Sydney Harbour? Its an Autograph Collection brand on Marriott.

Pier One is in walking distance, probably slightly longer distance than Marriot and Four Seasons from the opposite direction. Flat enough ground for wheeled luggage. It will take a while if you have a camera, as you will stop every few minutes for a photo.

4 minutes ago, NSWP said:

And for breakfast, don't pay $40 or $50 for the hotel buffets, try City Extra opposite the ferry terminals, half the price and better.Ā  I breakfasted there the other week, pre Coral cruise.

20121432_1498366156869106_6543050952178438338_o.thumb.jpg.bf457ca3db0ecff3cc55c435c3e3c669.jpg

Ā 

+1 for City Extra. It is now back to 24hrs. It doesn't need to be that eggstavagent a meal though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, arxcards said:

+1 for City Extra. It is now back to 24hrs. It doesn't need to be that eggstavagent a meal though.

They have a big range of foods, big and small and for a Sydney a reasonable price, not that cheap but reasonable.

6 minutes ago, NSWP said:

They have a big range of foods, big and small and for a Sydney a reasonable price, not that cheap but reasonable.

Agreed. And from 1 October they are once again open 24/7!

And the provide luggage storage facilities as well. ( I noticed a sign on the door about the latter)

• Like 1

If you want something a bit different and a good price, have a look at the Rendezvous Hotel in The Rocks. It's a very short walk to the cruise terminal, closer than the Four Seasons, and in a really charming historical area.Ā  There is a good convenience store a one minute walk away, and several local choices for dinner and breakfast.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chubbypiggy said:

Thank you everyone for your information and suggestions!!Ā  ā˜ŗļøĀ  Based on information/suggestions received, I decided and just booked, the Four Seasons Hotel.Ā  Will definitely try the Mode Kitchen.

Ā 

Ā 

Oh, if you are after a fabulous and classy cocktail bar, "Maybe Sammy " is literally out the back door of the Four Seasons.

Open from 4.30 pm Wednesday to Saturday, with $7 mini cocktails Happy hour for the first hour.Ā 

Gorgeous men behind the bar (according to my wife), jazzy music, GREAT cocktails and yummy bar snacks. Not cheap after happy hour, but the place is deservedly voted in the top 25 bars in the world.Ā 

5 hours ago, buchhalm said:

Oh, if you are after a fabulous and classy cocktail bar, "Maybe Sammy " is literally out the back door of the Four Seasons.

Open from 4.30 pm Wednesday to Saturday, with $7 mini cocktails Happy hour for the first hour.Ā 

Gorgeous men behind the bar (according to my wife), jazzy music, GREAT cocktails and yummy bar snacks. Not cheap after happy hour, but the place is deservedly voted in the top 25 bars in the world.Ā 

We don't drink.Ā  Maybe worth it to buy a drink just to see the "Gorgeous men".šŸ¤£

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We have a friend from Singapore who always stayed there when she was in Sydney on business. We'd often meet at that bar. Great food! It's an ideal place if you've just arrived and don't want to go out for a meal.

Just checked the menu of the Mode Kitchen and bar (website below).Ā  Since you ate there often, just curious to know if the price showing on the menu is AUD or USD.Ā  For example, the first combo on the menu showing $130pp, is that AUD or USD?Ā  Thanks.

Ā 

https://modekitchenandbar.com.au/contemporary-dining-menu/dinner-2/

2 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

Just checked the menu of the Mode Kitchen and bar (website below).Ā  Since you ate there often, just curious to know if the price showing on the menu is AUD or USD.Ā  For example, the first combo on the menu showing $130pp, is that AUD or USD?Ā  Thanks.

Ā 

https://modekitchenandbar.com.au/contemporary-dining-menu/dinner-2/

Australian $ of course. Why would it be anything else? šŸ˜‰

Pics from our last dinner there a few weeks ago...

20220903_212355.jpg

20220903_212318.jpg

20220903_204705.jpg

20220903_201921.jpg

20220903_201918.jpg

28 minutes ago, buchhalm said:

Australian $ of course. Why would it be anything else? šŸ˜‰

Pics from our last dinner there a few weeks ago...

20220903_212355.jpg

20220903_212318.jpg

20220903_204705.jpg

20220903_201921.jpg

20220903_201918.jpg

Of course most Australians don't pay those prices. Ā However, I did pay $100 for a six ? tiny course menu at Yellow, a Vegan Restaurant at Potts Point, on recommendation of my daughter. Ā 

42 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

A wonderful Hotel but expensive.

Also it is not a great location, unless you are going to stay put, then it has a priceless location. Ā Of course if you are rich, you'd catch taxis everywhere Ā I love to walk past around the harbour front and look in.Ā 

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Of course most Australians don't pay those prices. Ā However, I did pay $100 for a six ? tiny course menu at Yellow, a Vegan Restaurant at Potts Point, on recommendation of my daughter. Ā 

$100 to $150 is average now for a degustation menu, I think the one I had at the golf club a couple of months ago was $150, but included a quality wine with each of the 6 courses.Ā 

41 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

$130pp meal, still need to add sales taxes and gratuities?Ā  Ā Thanks.

Ā 

'Sales Tax', referred to in Australia as GST is already built in to the prices you will see. It's a big illegal no-no to do it any other way, here.

Ā 

As for tipping - that's up to you. It won't be added automatically to your bill - a custom I've come across overseas which I find very uncomfortable. I wouldn't tip in a cafe and if I had good service in a restaurant I would probably tip 10%.

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chubbypiggy said:

The price you see is the price you pay.

For everything in Australia.Ā 

Tips in restaurants are not expected,Ā  but of course very welcome. Give CASH. Don't put it on the card.

10% or thereaboutsĀ  is good. I usually round up to the nearest $5 note. Coins are a bit weird (unless it's lose change in a cafe).

Note that the habit if "suggested tips " is creeping in when you are presented with a credit/debit card reader.

We HATE it here. Ignore and don't feel pressured! Again, cash tip if you want to. That way your server gets it for sure.

Ā 

And another thing.Ā 

Many bank machines or card readers will ask if you want to pay in the home currency "For your convenience ".

*USD in your case*.

NEVER accept this. Pay LOCAL currency. Otherwise you get a shocking exchange rate.Ā 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

No meals are all inclusive Ā of taxes. Ā Gratuities are not expected in Australia unless you go to an American hotel with American clientele.

6 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

No meals are all inclusive Ā of taxes. Ā Gratuities are not expected in Australia unless you go to an American hotel with American clientele.

Some restaurants here have provision on the bill for gratuities and many have the big glass cookie jar on the counter for tips.

54 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Some restaurants here have provision on the bill for gratuities and many have the big glass cookie jar on the counter for tips.

Sure they do, but you don't have to put anything extra on your bill. Ā Even little places have a glass jar for tips. Ā  It is an ugly custom that we don't want to spread in Australia. Ā Recently caught a taxi in Brisbane and driver offered me 20c change. Ā 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Sure they do, but you don't have to put anything extra on your bill. Ā Even little places have a glass jar for tips. Ā  It is an ugly custom that we don't want to spread in Australia. Ā Recently caught a taxi in Brisbane and driver offered me 20c change. Ā 

Tipping is already here and has been here for decades. I tip 10% in restaurants if the food and service meet my expectations.

Ā 

I just got a gluten free base šŸ• delivered from the local pizza shop. Young and pleasant Ā 18 yr old girl did the delivery, pizza was $25, I gave her $30 and told her to keep the change. Perhaps I am one of the last big spenders, lol.

šŸ•šŸ·

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

Since you ate there often, just curious to know if the price showing on the menu is AUD or USD.Ā  For example, the first combo on the menu showing $130pp, is that AUD or USD?Ā  Thanks

Bucchhalm, I'm a bit worried about your grasp on Australian travel. It's a distinct country that uses a currency called a "dollar", as do many other countries. There is a huge difference in value between AUD (Australian Dollars) and USD (United States dollars). Currently one Aussie dollar is worth about 63 to 65 cents US.Ā  When you are here, you need to pay in AUD. You can use a credit card to pay even small amounts, but beware of the hidden costs of foreign exchange transactions.Ā  If you want actual notes (our notes are very pretty), you need to withdraw money from a debit card (not a credit card).

The other thing you will notice in Australia is that the price you see includes all taxes and charges. It is actually illegal to quote a price then add on taxes and charges. So what you see is what you get.

That $A130 meal is the full price. It is just over $US80. You can add a tip if you want, but tipping is not necessary in Australia at all.

• Like 1