SYDNEY HOTEL March 2023

beatleman

4 hours ago, beatleman said:

Beware , fellow cruisers if your looking at stays in Sydney in March 2023. The Autumn Racing Carnival begins 1st week March earlier than normal. Just booked at Darling Harbour OUCH!!! well the Ovation cruise was cheap.

I have found if you book accommodation too far ahead you get the rack rate.  But that mightn't be the case with your booking.  I do a dummy booking through hotel, booking.com and trip advisor to compare rates. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I have found if you book accommodation too far ahead you get the rack rate.  But that mightn't be the case with your booking.  I do a dummy booking through hotel, booking.com and trip advisor to compare rates. 

I agree, there is always something on in Sydney, and it is too far out for punters to be creating too much demand on the hotels.

We like to book something early, usually via booking.com, but always something we can cancel till close to the date without penalty. One plus post-covid, is that so many hotels will now let you cancel up to the day before arrival without paying a premium. If we find something better later, we will cancel the original booking.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, arxcards said:

I agree, there is always something on in Sydney, and it is too far out for punters to be creating too much demand on the hotels.

We like to book something early, usually via booking.com, but always something we can cancel till close to the date without penalty. One plus post-covid, is that so many hotels will now let you cancel up to the day before arrival without paying a premium. If we find something better later, we will cancel the original booking.

I was surprised recently when I booked an Ibis in Adelaide with a credit card hold,  I could cancel without penalty until 6 pm on day of arrival.  I then paid by credit card on arrival on the day.  I think this is a great initiative, as people are reluctant to book ahead because of Covid.  

• Like 5

I am sure Rydges (old Holiday Inn) at Circular Quay jacks their prices up when the ships are in. The other week they were charging over $300 for their standard room, more than I paid for the Marriott up the road, pre Coral Princess.  Rogues.🤬

21 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I am sure Rydges (old Holiday Inn) at Circular Quay jacks their prices up when the ships are in. The other week they were charging over $300 for their standard room, more than I paid for the Marriott up the road, pre Coral Princess.  Rogues.🤬

Yeah, supply and demand. They will say it is full price when the ships are in, and discounted when it is quieter.

43 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Yes - just yesterday  booked a room in Rydges Circular Quay for $300 - for cruise on Cunard Queen Elizabeth in January . I got an 8 day balcony cruise on her for $200 total per person 🙂 Who said that Covid was all bad?? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bazzaw said:

Yes - just yesterday  booked a room in Rydges Circular Quay for $300 - for cruise on Cunard Queen Elizabeth in January . I got an 8 day balcony cruise on her for $200 total per person 🙂 Who said that Covid was all bad?? 

All the cruise credits Barry?

13 hours ago, NSWP said:

All the cruise credits Barry?

Sort of - we were one of the very first cancellations for 38 day May 2020 cruise. They initially promised us a full cash refund plus 25% FCC. Took us 8 months to get the cash refund and then I just wiped out any thought of an FCC. BUT 12 months later we got an official FCC for over $5000. - which has paid for the bulkof this short cruise to Tassie. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
I posted my questions on the Port of Call for 2 days and haven't received any response, so I am trying this thread.

We are in our mid 60's, each will have a 28" luggage and a carry-on.  Do not want to take train or bus.  We will arrive on April 3 (Monday) around 7 a.m. from the U.S. on a 15-hour non-stop flight.  Will embark on a Princess cruise on April 4. 

We mainly want to find a hotel that is: clean and safe, within walking distance (or short taxi ride) to the cruise terminal, convenient to casual eating places and will be nice, if also convenient to a market (for water and snacks).   

Questions:
1. Any suggestions for hotel that is within walking distance or short taxi ride to the OPT?  I only saw ads on
   the Four Seasons Hotel Sydney and Swissotel Sydney.  Any better ones?
2. Which is closer or within walking distance to the OPT? Four Seasons Hotel Sydney or Swissotel Sydney?
3. How far is the ride from the Kingsford Smith airport to the hotel near Overseas Passenger Terminal (OPT)? 
4. If take taxi, approximately how much is the ride?  Can I pay the driver using credit card?
5. Can we use credit card for the taxi/eating/shopping (souvenirs)/market (buy water, snacks, etc.)?
6. Or it is wise to get some AUD at the airport ATM?  

Thanks in advance for any assistance!! 

1 hour ago, chubbypiggy said:
I posted my questions on the Port of Call for 2 days and haven't received any response, so I am trying this thread.

We are in our mid 60's, each will have a 28" luggage and a carry-on.  Do not want to take train or bus.  We will arrive on April 3 (Monday) around 7 a.m. from the U.S. on a 15-hour non-stop flight.  Will embark on a Princess cruise on April 4. 

We mainly want to find a hotel that is: clean and safe, within walking distance (or short taxi ride) to the cruise terminal, convenient to casual eating places and will be nice, if also convenient to a market (for water and snacks).   

Questions:
1. Any suggestions for hotel that is within walking distance or short taxi ride to the OPT?  I only saw ads on
2. Which is closer or within walking distance to the OPT? Four Seasons Hotel Sydney or Swissotel Sydney?
3. How far is the ride from the Kingsford Smith airport to the hotel near Overseas Passenger Terminal (OPT)? 
4. If take taxi, approximately how much is the ride?  Can I pay the driver using credit card?
5. Can we use credit card for the taxi/eating/shopping (souvenirs)/market (buy water, snacks, etc.)?

Four seasons if it’s in your budget is probably the best Hotel. for convenience and the harbour view rooms are the best.

If you want something more affordable ,Rydges is extremely good for cruise ships.

Taxi will cost about $A50

Edited by Chiliburn

1 hour ago, chubbypiggy said:

Questions:

Try Rydges Sydney Harbour,  which is a very short walk to OPT at Circular Quay.  From airport you can catch taxi for approx cost $60 which can be paid by credit card.   In fact your credit card can be used everywhere.

44 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Four seasons if it’s in your budget is probably the best Hotel. for convenience and the harbour view rooms are the best.

If you want something more affordable ,Rydges is extremely good for cruise ships.

Taxi will cost about $A50

Thank you for your reply!!

Is the Oversea Passenger Terminal within walking distance from the Four Seasons Hotel Sydney?  If so, how long to walk and is it an easy walk (smooth road)?  If not within walking distance, how long for a taxi ride?

Also, any convenient store (for water and snacks) and casual eating places (for lunch and dinner) by the Four Seasons Hotel?

46 minutes ago, CCC's said:

Try Rydges Sydney Harbour,  which is a very short walk to OPT at Circular Quay.  From airport you can catch taxi for approx cost $60 which can be paid by credit card.   In fact your credit card can be used everywhere.

How long to walk from the Rydges... to the OPT?  Is it an easy walk (smooth road)? 

Also, any convenient store (for water and snacks) and casual eating places (for lunch and dinner) by the Rydges...?

I stay at Devere Hotel Potts Point, a basic hotel,  with a Sydney suburban atmosphere.  it has lots of cafes and restaurants and takeaways, some of which are shown on their website.  It has local buses via Central Station and to Walsh Bay on the Harbour (Walsh Bay Theatre Precinct )  I get an airport shuttle to and from the airport (not the one inside the airport).  I used to walk to the Opera House and the CBD but nw I catch the bus.  

48 minutes ago, cayman09 said:

How's the Pier One Sydney Harbour? Its an Autograph Collection brand on Marriott.

It’s a bit out of the way ,there’s not a lot with in a few blocks  But it’s quite.

Its almost under the harbour bridge and if you like walks is great.
You would have to get a ride to the cruise terminal thought.

4 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

Is the Oversea Passenger Terminal within walking distance from the Four Seasons Hotel Sydney?  If so, how long to walk and is it an easy walk (smooth road)?  If not within walking distance, how long for a taxi ride?

Also, any convenient store (for water and snacks) and casual eating places (for lunch and dinner) by the Four Seasons Hotel?

The Four Seasons is a flat 700 metre walk to the cruise terminal if you choose the route through the small park near Circular Quay. There is a convenience store at Circular Quay and plenty of restaurants and cafes in the general area. 

If the Four Seasons is within your price range, it is one of the best hotels in Sydney.

It is a level 500 meter walk from the hotel to the OPT.

Out the front door, turn left, cross the road and walk UNDER the road above your head. Turn left, just before the first building you get to (there is an icecream shop) and walk straight on. The OTP is 4minutes walk from here.

Note that Google maps will probably suggest a slightly different walking route. One has a flight of stairs just before the museum of contemporary art, the other has a sloping road towards the waterfront AFTER the museum. 

As for shops,  there are a few convenience stores for basics at Circular Quay railway station and inside the office plaza just opposite. 

Both are less than 5 minutes slow  walk from the hotel.

By the way, there is a superb restaurant in the lobby of the 4 Seasons, "Mode Kitchen and Bar". Moderately priced (for a restaurant in a luxury hotel)

Just now, buchhalm said:

By the way, there is a superb restaurant in the lobby of the 4 Seasons, "Mode Kitchen and Bar". Moderately priced (for a restaurant in a luxury hotel)

We have a friend from Singapore who always stayed there when she was in Sydney on business. We'd often meet at that bar. Great food! It's an ideal place if you've just arrived and don't want to go out for a meal.

And for breakfast, don't pay $40 or $50 for the hotel buffets, try City Extra opposite the ferry terminals, half the price and better.  I breakfasted there the other week, pre Coral cruise.

20121432_1498366156869106_6543050952178438338_o.thumb.jpg.bf457ca3db0ecff3cc55c435c3e3c669.jpg