SYDNEY HOTEL March 2023

beatleman

5 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

Bucchhalm, I'm a bit worried about your grasp on Australian travel. It's a distinct country that uses a currency called a "dollar", as do many other countries. There is a huge difference in value between AUD (Australian Dollars) and USD (United States dollars). Currently one Aussie dollar is worth about 63 to 65 cents US.  When you are here, you need to pay in AUD. You can use a credit card to pay even small amounts, but beware of the hidden costs of foreign exchange transactions.  If you want actual notes (our notes are very pretty), you need to withdraw money from a debit card (not a credit card).

The other thing you will notice in Australia is that the price you see includes all taxes and charges. It is actually illegal to quote a price then add on taxes and charges. So what you see is what you get.

That $A130 meal is the full price. It is just over $US80. You can add a tip if you want, but tipping is not necessary in Australia at all.

Good points. A lot of Americans think the USD is the international currency, it is not. Some countries will not accept the greenback.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

Bucchhalm, I'm a bit worried about your grasp on Australian travel. It's a distinct country that uses a currency called a "dollar", as do many other countries. There is a huge difference in value between AUD (Australian Dollars) and USD (United States dollars). Currently one Aussie dollar is worth about 63 to 65 cents US.  When you are here, you need to pay in AUD. You can use a credit card to pay even small amounts, but beware of the hidden costs of foreign exchange transactions.  If you want actual notes (our notes are very pretty), you need to withdraw money from a debit card (not a credit card).

The other thing you will notice in Australia is that the price you see includes all taxes and charges. It is actually illegal to quote a price then add on taxes and charges. So what you see is what you get.

That $A130 meal is the full price. It is just over $US80. You can add a tip if you want, but tipping is not necessary in Australia at all.

You seem to be a bit confused, Mate. 

Perhaps read through the threads first.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Once again, a big thank you to all of you for the information and suggestions!!

I summarized what I learned from all of you, please correct me if I misunderstood the information I collected.
I decided and booked the Four Seasons Hotel, so the statements below are based on I staying at that hotel.

1. From the hotel to the OPT, it is about 500 meters (about 10 minutes walk) on flat ground.  Can easily find
    the OPT without getting lost.
2. Airport is about 30 minutes taxi ride for about AUD $60.
3. There are convenient stores (where I can buy bottled water and snacks) within 10 minutes walking distance.
4. There are many casual eating places/restaurants within 10 minutes walking distance.
5. All listed price everywhere included taxes and charges and tips.  If happy with service, give cash tips.
6. Credit cards are widely accepted with no minimum purchases required to use the card.  

Sorry, a few more questions:
1. My hotel confirmation indicated there will be a 2% service charge if pay with credit card.  Is 1.5-2% service
    card a common practice everywhere in Sydney if pay with credit card?  
2. Any store nearby that I can buy Rapid Antigen Test home kit?  Princess requires RAT negative result within
    24 hour of embarkation the ship; results from home test kit will be acceptable.
3. ATM nearby?  If not, need to use the ATM at the airport.
4. At the airport (international arrival), is it a long walk to the location to get taxi?
5. Uber service available at the airport?  If so, same pickup area as the taxis?  At Los Angeles airport, Uber
    pickup is in a totally different area than taxi pickup, and a much longer walk to get there.

Thank you!!

Your understand 1-6 look right to me.

Questions

1. I wouldn’t say the service fee us common, but nor is it unusual, it should be on a sign if it applies, but sometimes the signs are easy to overlook. It is one charge that can be added as it isn’t a compulsory charge, ie paying cash avoids it. It is b3cause of the charges credit companies charge retailers supposedly retailers can recoup that cost from the customer, but I think some add a tad more.

2. RATs currently available in so many stores, Chemists (pharmacy) and many convenience stores and there are a few of each around where you are staying.

3. Plenty of ATMs though some charge a fee (privately owned) might be worth checking with your card issuer if they have a partner in Aus that charges no fee, also you may need to get a PIN issued as I understand from some of your countrymen but if you are already using ATMs at home I guess you are right to go.

4. and 5. I’ll leave to the flyers, because flying has been off our agenda for many many years.

3 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

I summarized what I learned from all of you, please correct me if I misunderstood the information I collected.
I decided and booked the Four Seasons Hotel, so the statements below are based on I staying at that hotel.

1. From the hotel to the OPT, it is about 500 meters (about 10 minutes walk) on flat ground.  Can easily find
3. There are convenient stores (where I can buy bottled water and snacks) within 10 minutes walking distance.
4. There are many casual eating places/restaurants within 10 minutes walking distance.
5. All listed price everywhere included taxes and charges and tips.  If happy with service, give cash tips.
6. Credit cards are widely accepted with no minimum purchases required to use the card.  

1. My hotel confirmation indicated there will be a 2% service charge if pay with credit card.  Is 1.5-2% service
2. Any store nearby that I can buy Rapid Antigen Test home kit?  Princess requires RAT negative result within
4. At the airport (international arrival), is it a long walk to the location to get taxi?
5. Uber service available at the airport?  If so, same pickup area as the taxis?  At Los Angeles airport, Uber
    pickup is in a totally different area than taxi pickup, and a much longer walk to get there.

Thank you!!

I would get a taxi from the airport,you will be in peak time and I think a taxi would be better.
Grab some cash at the airport.

Mr Google maps says the OPT ,convenience stores,Pharmacies within 5 minutes walk from Four season.

3 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

Thank you!!

Credit card surcharges. Most hotels in Australia  seem to charge. Also some sit-down restaurants. This will be indicated on the menu somewhere. Some businesses may have a minimum amount before they accept plastic or waive a surcharge. (Usually around $10). This is to recover costs to THEM.

RAT available at just about every chemist/pharmacy. The closest one to your hotel I can think of is at the Gateway plaza at Circular Quay,  to the right of the tram stop. (I attach a photo). There are also convenience stores, eateries and as far as I know a medical center there.

ATM. Plenty of those around circular quay. AVOID  any ATM inside convenience stores. They are privately owned and charge a hefty surcharge.

Ant BANK owned ATM will have the name of the bank or the word 'bank' somewhere on it.

If the ATM charges a usage fee, it will be displayed on the screen before you make a transaction. 

Taxi at SYD airport is just outside arrivals. Level walk. During busy times, there is usually a dispatcher there. He will allocate a suitable taxi (depending how much luggage you have).

Uber is not far either. Well sign-posted, but still not easy to find if you aren't familiar with the location.

When you land in SYD, and before you even get to passport control, you will see stands with free tourist information booklets. They are pretty good and informative.  Just don't grab one in Chinese or Korean. They all have the same pictures on them.

Above all, RELAX!!!!

You seem to over think things. 🙂

Screenshot_20221012-071004_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20221011-191003_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20221011-182829_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last time we stayed at Four Seasons, from the rear entry on level 1 to Harrington St, there eas an ATM just across the road.

I can't recall which bank it was. Check with your bank, as they may have an arrangement with an Aussie bank that gives you lower fees and charges on your transactions.

As for your Q1, most hotels now itemise the credit card surcharge and add it to your bill. This is a banking cost incurred by them, which they are legitimately passing on.

My most sincere thank you to all of you for being so patience and answered so many of my questions!!  I admit I do over-plan when ever DIY a country that I visit for the first time; mainly because I would like to have as few "unexpected" as possible.  

I am glad I booked my hotel and my flight.  I will work on what to do at each port after I return from my 16-day Mexican Riviera cruise on the Discovery Princess which will start in about 2 weeks.  There are 5 ports that we will visit on the Mexican cruise, and so far, I only planned DIY on the first port.  Better work fast on the remaining ports.  LOL

For the cruise that will start in Sydney next April, it will be a 27-day cruise from Sydney to Los Angeles with 7 ports (3 NZ ports, Tahiti, and 3 Hawaii ports).  Will be my first time to all 7 ports, so a lot of planning will need to be done.  

Stay safe and happy!!   ☺️
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:
My most sincere thank you to all of you for being so patience and answered so many of my questions!!  I admit I do over-plan when ever DIY a country that I visit for the first time; mainly because I would like to have as few "unexpected" as possible.  

I am glad I booked my hotel and my flight.  I will work on what to do at each port after I return from my 16-day Mexican Riviera cruise on the Discovery Princess which will start in about 2 weeks.  There are 5 ports that we will visit on the Mexican cruise, and so far, I only planned DIY on the first port.  Better work fast on the remaining ports.  LOL

For the cruise that will start in Sydney next April, it will be a 27-day cruise from Sydney to Los Angeles with 7 ports (3 NZ ports, Tahiti, and 3 Hawaii ports).  Will be my first time to all 7 ports, so a lot of planning will need to be done.  

Stay safe and happy!!   ☺️

You will find we are happy to try and help, I notice you posted on the Ports section and got crickets, that part tends to get few visitors, I’ve never been sure why CC have them both.

Indeed most Aussies are happy to help anyone who asks nicely, or often if they don’t ask but seem a bit lost.

16 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

You will find we are happy to try and help, I notice you posted on the Ports section and got crickets, that part tends to get few visitors, I’ve never been sure why CC have them both.

Indeed most Aussies are happy to help anyone who asks nicely, or often if they don’t ask but seem a bit lost.

I always posted my questions on the Ports section; but this time, I noticed there was no reply and then I found this section, so decided to give it a try and am so glad I did.  So many nice people here.

13 hours ago, buchhalm said:

You seem to be a bit confused, Mate. 

Perhaps read through the threads first.

My apologies buchhalm, for the mistaken identity.  I just get annoyed with visitors from the US who think the world revolves around them, to the extent that they would believe that an Australian restaurant website would quote a price in US dollars!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

Thank you!!

2. As already answered, you most certainly can buy RATs everywhere now at around $8-$10 per test. But why not bring a box with you to save having another thing to think of doing here? I've travelled to NZ a couple of times this year and each time took a good supply of tests so I could test as required or desired. Just a thought.

7 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

2. As already answered, you most certainly can buy RATs everywhere now at around $8-$10 per test. But why not bring a box with you to save having another thing to think of doing here? I've travelled to NZ a couple of times this year and each time took a good supply of tests so I could test as required or desired. Just a thought.

I have many RAT home kits, and do plan to bring a few boxes.  But I am not sure if I will be allowed to bring them in my carry on bag from U.S. to Australia.  My friend told me Australia is very strict on what can be brought in.  So I asked where to buy them by the hotel just in case my test kits not allowed at the airport.  Thanks.  

1 hour ago, cruiser3775 said:

My apologies buchhalm, for the mistaken identity.  I just get annoyed with visitors from the US who think the world revolves around them, to the extent that they would believe that an Australian restaurant website would quote a price in US dollars!

My apologies if I offended anyone!  Honestly, I NEVER once think the world revolves around U.S. visitors!! 

I have stayed in many 5-star hotels around the world, and definitely came across some of those hotels' menus pricing in USD.  The reason I asked was because Four Seasons is a 5-star hotel, and Mode Kitchen menu prices seem kind of low if they are priced in AUD; so I thought maybe the pricing is in USD.   Sorry for the misunderstanding! 
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

The ports section is much older, but they set this area up as there are often discrepancies between what the cruise lines do here vs the UK and US.

That, and were upsetting too many of the natives on those various US centric cruise line pages. Much better for them if they hide us here 😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chubbypiggy said:

I have many RAT home kits, and do plan to bring a few boxes.  But I am not sure if I will be allowed to bring them in my carry on bag from U.S. to Australia.  My friend told me Australia is very strict on what can be brought in.  So I asked where to buy them by the hotel just in case my test kits not allowed at the airport.  Thanks.  

Apologies, I hadn't realised you were thinking of having the RATs in your hand luggage.

Yes, Australian authorities are very very fussy about what gets brought in to the country especially food and biological matter. Don't even think of bringing any food with you even off the plane! I think I carried a box of RATs in and out of Australia recently in my hand luggage FWIW - no issue, despite the bag being x-rayed on numerous occassions. Not 100% sure if they were in my carry-on but I don't think anyone would mind if they're in the original packaging etc.

It sounds like a big wonderful adventure and I hope your trip is a success.

2 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

I took RAT test kits from NZ into Australia without any issues. If you have plenty of boxes to spare anyway, you'd lose nothing if they were confiscated (which they won't be). 

I can understand why some are hesitant to bring anything that is readily available into a Australia or any other foreign place as some customs officials/ biosecurity  can be tricky. I just ask that any one fills in the form honestly and then there shouldn't  be an issue or fine.

• Like 1

Chubbypiggy, if you are down at Circular Quay you should try out this place for a variety of places to eat.

https://www.gatewaysydney.com.au/dining-and-more 

Chat Thai is one of the best Thai restaurants in Sydney. The French crepe place is also excellent and cheap. Hurricanes have great steaks. And Messina Gelato is to die for !

Oh and maybe you do not realise this but you can eat at the Sydney Opera House if you are looking to do something special and memorable.

https://www.sydneyoperahouse.com/visit-us/eat-and-drink/bennelong.html

Edited by christodan
  • Like 2

On 10/10/2022 at 4:00 AM, chubbypiggy said:

Thank you everyone for your information and suggestions!!  ☺️  Based on information/suggestions received, I decided and just booked, the Four Seasons Hotel.  Will definitely try the Mode Kitchen.

We are staying at the Four Seasons before our Jan 24 Ovation cruise.  Very affordable with the exchange rates right now.

• Like 1