What is happening with the Internet on Celebrity?

NJRonbo

I remember my cruises in the late 90s and early 2000s, essentially dialing into Internet with horrific speeds.

Though the technology has significantly gotten better, from what I have read, it seems the overall Internet on ship experience has not.

If I am correct about what I have been reading, the basic WiFi package doesn't provide enough bandwidth to do much more than read your email.  The upgraded WiFi package seems to be a bit better, but still painfully slow.

Now, I did read some posts that all Celebrity ships are going through satellite communication upgrades (STARLINK) this year into next, being retrofitted for better Internet access.  I am hoping that Summit gets retrofitted before Summer 2023.

Anyone have any idea how much this will improve the online experience given the fact that hundreds of people are accessing it at the same time?

And one last question: Is the Internet package included with Aqua Class and above the BASIC or PREMIUM WiFi?  I am assuming PREMIUM as one of the descriptions said multiple device connections.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts

Edited by NJRonbo

Bandwidth available to the ship will improve, and the same "hundreds of people" will be sharing a bigger pipe.

Low Earth satellites cover a much smaller area on the ground, so service less potential users, which is why so many more are required to provide full geographic coverage.

Being much closer, they also have a much more efficient bits/watt capability and a lot lower latency.

On the whole, it should be quite an improvement.  That said, each ship will undoubtedly be managing bandwidth per customer through artificial means, just as they do now.

My first cruise was in 1992 on Carnival Fantasy.  It was their latest and greatest at the time.  No contact with the outside world for 5 whole days!  Heaven.

Not judging the question.  Like you, I want good wifi now when I cruise as well.  Just reflecting on how the experience has evolved.  

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, canderson said:

Bandwidth available to the ship will improve, and the same "hundreds of people" will be sharing a bigger pipe.

Low Earth satellites cover a much smaller area on the ground, so service less potential users, which is why so many more are required to provide full geographic coverage.

Being much closer, they also have a much more efficient bits/watt capability and a lot lower latency.

On the whole, it should be quite an improvement.  That said, each ship will undoubtedly be managing bandwidth per customer through artificial means, just as they do now.

Love your "techie" response.  Thank you for that.

So, it seems like these Starlink upgrades will greatly improve Internet speed under enormous ship demand.

I am always working away from home, on vacation, so being able to sit in a lounge chair with my laptop will be a great benefit.

I take it that the premium WiFi is included with Aqua Class and above?

4 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

A few people I have spoken to that have been on Beyond since the Starlink upgrade say the premium connection is basically just like being at home on WiFi or on a strong 5G connection. 

You can't ask for anything better.  That's tremendous!

6 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

My experience on Princess, is I have been able to stream most days/nights with little issues related to buffering.  Not sure why Celebrity doesn't have the same available.  And as far as I can remember, Princess doesn't segregate speeds, just one option.

Yeah, I'm an old seasoned Princess cruiser.  Would have preferred to sail with that ship given my elite status but living in NJ, I didn't want to do the New England cruise (which is all they do from here) and I didn't want to spend extra to fly down to Fort Lauderdale.

1 hour ago, NJRonbo said:

Anyone have any idea how much this will improve the online experience given the fact that hundreds of people are accessing it at the same time?

It's always been time of day as well:

Fastest speed is from 9pm-7am.

Worst times where it's not uncommon for things to fail to load is 45mins before and after the buffet/MDR opens and port arrivals/departures.

• Like 1

Just got off Equinox, Aqua class, included basic wifi. Reading emails was a stretch. The signal in our cabin was better but if you wanted to even read the text of an email anywhere else on ship it was impossible.  It was definitely my biggest complaint.  "Including" something that isn't functional should not be touted as a benefit.

Currently on the Equinox, we had the basic WiFi but upgraded to premium before boarding, I wouldn’t call it premium but I’ve had no issues in streaming video - YouTube, Amazon Prime etc.. with very very little buffering (we watched a 1hr video and it buffered once for about 5 seconds). I’ve not noticed any slower speeds at any time of the day or night. My biggest bugbear is swapping between devices and trying to get each device to recognise the login splash screen

I even did a video call for about 40 mins and it didn’t buffer once and it was in the middle of a sea day in the Caribbean 

18 minutes ago, sasset said:

Is the "All Included" WiFi different than the WiFi that was part of the, now gone, "Elevate" package?

Elevate is same basic wifi as everything else including AI. It was the indulge package and now the Retreat which included Premium streaming wifi. 

To the OP Aqua Class get's All Included Basic wifi (used to be called Surf).   All suites including the new Aqua Suite class get premium (used to be Stream).  

Aqua Class and all except the highest suites get 1 device per passenger.   It's one device at a time so you can switch between devices but only 1 is active at a time.

9 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

To the OP Aqua Class get's All Included Basic wifi (used to be called Surf).   All suites including the new Aqua Suite class get premium (used to be Stream).  

Aqua Class and all except the highest suites get 1 device per passenger.   It's one device at a time so you can switch between devices but only 1 is active at a time.

We have CS booked for October & Aqua booked for May. Agent told us that we could upgrade both WiFi & drinks nearer the time for our May cruise. 

13 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

Can I get further clarification on this?

So, only Basic WiFi is included with an Aqua Class cabin?

And there's an Aqua Class Suite?  I did not see those in the selections.  In Aqua Class there are standard (Deck 9)  and premium rooms (Deck 11).  Nothing in the description for the premium rooms indicate an upgrade in WiFi.

Oh...

Another question came to mind...

Can I upgrade to Premium WiFi before I board the ship?

Having never sailed on Celebrity before, do they allow you to do all the upgrades you want from their website prior to your sailing date?  It seems it would be much more convenient than standing on line to change it at guest services.

13 hours ago, NJRonbo said:

Oh...

Another question came to mind...

Can I upgrade to Premium WiFi before I board the ship?

Having never sailed on Celebrity before, do they allow you to do all the upgrades you want from their website prior to your sailing date?  It seems it would be much more convenient than standing on line to change it at guest services.

I think you have to call them. I don’t see an option just to upgrade.  

Edited by Cruise Gopher

If you are on the Beyond, you won't need to upgrade your wifi, as the Beyond has the new starlink wifi.  From what I understand, it is pretty fast.  Y'all need to relax.  You are on vacation.  Disconnect from your phone and enjoy the vacation.  

On 9/29/2022 at 3:28 PM, chimchimtx said:

Just got off Equinox, Aqua class, included basic wifi. Reading emails was a stretch. The signal in our cabin was better but if you wanted to even read the text of an email anywhere else on ship it was impossible.  It was definitely my biggest complaint.  "Including" something that isn't functional should not be touted as a benefit.

We were on the Equinox earlier in the summer.  Internet was abysmal.  Television selections very poor also.  Enjoyed the cruise other than that.  

28 minutes ago, SkystheLimit said:

We were on the Equinox earlier in the summer.  Internet was abysmal.  Television selections very poor also.  Enjoyed the cruise other than that.  

May I ask if you had the basic or premium package?