NCL Name Change

Gatorzzzz

OP - I'm so sorry this happened to you, on top of the issues caused by the hurricane.  

Since you know you won't get any help from NCL until the last minute, I would book my own flights going out of an open, nearby airport (I see Tampa was suggested) in order to make sure I got to my cruise on time.

Going forward I wouldn't take the cruise airfare again and would always fly in at least the day before.  We almost didn't make a cruise by flying in the day before, so now we go in at least two days before, just to be on the safe side.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SimplyAlbert said:

We almost didn't make a cruise by flying in the day before, so now we go in at least two days before, just to be on the safe side.

Just curious:   Under what conditions could you be in the port city 24 hours ahead of time ... and "almost didn't make a cruise"?

Epic traffic jam, or......?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Crazy planning mom said:

I am sorry about your situation.  Did you call NCL's air department?  That is a different department rather than the regular NCL customer service?  Maybe, they can assist?  If not, do you have the Delta app?  You may be able to change the flight using the app or Delta's website.  

Yes, after my initial discussion Saturday morning with a very helpful “regular” she gave me the direct number for the air department and that is with whom I was on the phone with last night. They were emphatically unhelpful. 

15 minutes ago, Gatorzzzz said:

Yes, after my initial discussion Saturday morning with a very helpful “regular” she gave me the direct number for the air department and that is with whom I was on the phone with last night. They were emphatically unhelpful. 

Good luck, I would book that flight out of Tampa sooner rather than later

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MotownVoice said:

Just curious:   Under what conditions could you be in the port city 24 hours ahead of time ... and "almost didn't make a cruise"?

Obviously not speaking for @SimplyAlbert but I can imagine a scenario where the flight the day before was cancelled and the rebooking was for the next day.  Suddenly you find yourself biting your nails hoping all goes right the next day to get you there.  We also are now in the habit of going in two days early.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MotownVoice said:

What horrible advice.   I could say “never use a travel agent”.  That way you’re not wasting you’re  time on the phone with an agency when the Cruiseline could fix a problem faster.  But that would be just as idiotic.   

I have used TA’s and they always turned out to be a roadblock between me and resolutions.   But some people like them. God bless em. 

“Never” is such a wasted word full of letters.   Think of what else you could do with all those “e”s that would serve mankind better.  

Agreed 100%.  Using a TA is terrible advice.

• Thanks 1

Once the flight is booked NCL is pretty much out of the picture from what I understand. And in this case, aftermath of a huge hurricane, good luck. And as everybody says never fly the same day as the cruise. Just too much that can go wrong. 

I basically only cruise out of NY since I'm only about 90 minutes from the NY cruise terminals. And even then I've hit problems going in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gatorzzzz said:

A regular what?  The number for airline issues is right on their web site...

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/flight-assistance-hotline

First, sorry for all of the loss in the Ft. Myers area.  Tragic. 

On subject, issues like this (only without the hurricane) have happened to many people I know that booked NCL air. Including myself.  Since NCL books the air, they are the only one airlines let change or alter flights.  Not the passenger. Thus far, I have not heard of NCL doing anything to help change anyone's flights. SO you are stuck at the airport with no options for your booked flights. 

Someone said it perfectly. Anyone that uses NCL to purchase their flights gets ultra-cheap flights with no support at all. I will never use NCL for airfare again (I love their cruises!). I would rather book travel myself so that I have control to make changes or adjustments as situations come up. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

A regular what?  The number for airline issues is right on their web site...

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/flight-assistance-hotline

A “regular” NCL cruise consultant as I called before air was open.

Yes, I am aware of the direct number and I called it. Press “1” if you are en route to your ship today, all others, press “2.”  If you press 2 you end up in the regular caller queue and they may or may not move you to air for assistance. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gatorzzzz said:

A “regular” NCL cruise consultant as I called before air was open.

Yes, I am aware of the direct number and I called it. Press “1” if you are en route to your ship today, all others, press “2.”  If you press 2 you end up in the regular caller queue and they may or may not move you to air for assistance. 

You haven't booked another flight yet?

23 hours ago, MotownVoice said:

We didn't make it to the port city.  We were scheduled to fly in the day before the cruise and flights were canceled all up and down the East Coast due to weather.  There were 10 of us traveling.

2 made it ok (flying from Nashville and Atlanta).

6 were on the same flight that was canceled and the other 2 on a later flight.

4 of the 6 were rebooked on a later flight with the same carrier, but 2 ended having to rebook on a different carrier and different airport.  The 4 got off the ground, but then were delayed in a connecting city (no non-stops).  The 2 made it to the other airport, 1st flight canceled, rebooked on 2nd flight and were on the runway and that flight got canceled.

I was one of the 2 going out later so I was able to rebook them on our flight.  In the meantime the 4 that were in their connecting city finally took off.  The 4 on our flight took off, but almost 4 hours late.

By the time the last four of us got into the port city it was around 2:00 a.m. the day of the cruise.

Also, we were supposed to do a western Caribbean cruise and I had spent months planning, booking excursions, etc.  When we got to the port we found out that we'd been changed to Eastern as there was a hurricane in the western area.

We all still had a great time!  Now we just fly in two days ahead...

On 10/3/2022 at 9:29 PM, Gatorzzzz said:

NCL does not mean Norwegian Cruise Line, it really stands for No Care Line 

I am scheduled to sail Sunday out of NYC, with my NCL air leaving Ft. Myers Sunday morning at 7:10 arriving in NY just before 10:00, plenty of time to get to the pier. I live about 3 miles from the Ft. Myers airport. Very convenient!

Hey, has anyone heard about this weather event called Hurricane Ian?  It has caused the closure of the Ft. Myers airport; although it is scheduled to reopen Wednesday.  No problem, airport is open. Well only sort of. Upon reopening the earliest permitted departure is 8:30. 

I chatted with Delta and the flight is still scheduled, even though under current FAA guidelines it cannot depart.

So, wanting to be proactive, I called NCL. They don’t care. They won’t even consider a Plan B. If the flight is canceled any time after Thursday morning I am at the mercy of the airline.  They won’t book me on an alternative flight, won’t reschedule me out of an alternate airport. Won’t do anything.

The first person who didn’t help me cut me off instead of sending me to the resolution desk. 

I called back and got moved up to the resolution desk. No help. The don’t have authority to resolve anything. I was on the phone so long it died on me.

This will be my last NCL cruise. 

I would book my own flight for Saturday and enjoy the cruise. I always like to fly in a day early. 

Ft Myers re-opened yesterday, 10/5, which hopefully resolves your problem. 

I'm sure this has been stressful for you however, NCL may have chosen to wait it out anticipating the situation would resolve satisfactorily with the airport re-opening prior to your scheduled flight date.  

On 10/4/2022 at 12:29 PM, MotownVoice said:

I interpreted that as having flight issues  the day before. 
Last January I found out a storm was projected for the northeast the same day I was to fly out. I switched to go out the day before and was glad since all flights on my original day was cancelled.

They figured about 150+ never made it to the cruise due to the storm 

On 10/5/2022 at 12:20 PM, SimplyAlbert said:

We didn't make it to the port city.  We were scheduled to fly in the day before the cruise and flights were canceled all up and down the East Coast due to weather.  There were 10 of us traveling.

2 made it ok (flying from Nashville and Atlanta).

6 were on the same flight that was canceled and the other 2 on a later flight.

4 of the 6 were rebooked on a later flight with the same carrier, but 2 ended having to rebook on a different carrier and different airport.  The 4 got off the ground, but then were delayed in a connecting city (no non-stops).  The 2 made it to the other airport, 1st flight canceled, rebooked on 2nd flight and were on the runway and that flight got canceled.

I was one of the 2 going out later so I was able to rebook them on our flight.  In the meantime the 4 that were in their connecting city finally took off.  The 4 on our flight took off, but almost 4 hours late.

By the time the last four of us got into the port city it was around 2:00 a.m. the day of the cruise.

Also, we were supposed to do a western Caribbean cruise and I had spent months planning, booking excursions, etc.  When we got to the port we found out that we'd been changed to Eastern as there was a hurricane in the western area.

We all still had a great time!  Now we just fly in two days ahead...

I'm honestly slightly nervous that flying 2 days early from BWI to MSY might not be enough in January, but we only have so much time available.

My sympathies on change of itinerary.  I appreciate your attitude of having a great time despite the circumstances!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pacruise804 said:

I'm honestly slightly nervous that flying 2 days early from BWI to MSY might not be enough in January, but we only have so much time available.

My sympathies on change of itinerary.  I appreciate your attitude of having a great time despite the circumstances!

We cruised out of New Orleans last February and booked to go in two days ahead.  Arriving on Friday and cruise leaving on Sunday.  That week a big storm was forecast for Boston that Friday (the city we fly out of).  Ended up changing our flight to Thursday (at no additional cost).  Good thing we did.  We were at our hotel in New Orleans when we got the notification that our flight had been canceled.

We're pretty lucky that we don't have to worry about available time.  DH is retired, and while I'm still working I have a lot of vacation time, plus I can take time without pay.  It was actually my boss that first suggested I change the flight from Friday to Thursday to get out ahead of the storm.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2022 at 12:17 PM, Laszlo said:

You haven't booked another flight yet?

NCL rebooked us on another to-be-canceled flight (instead of a flight leaving 75 minutes later, which was within the window of operation). As NCL refused to move me to the later flight, I was getting ready to pull the trigger and book a flight out of FLL when the airline canceled and moved us to the later flight..

22 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

You can always drive or take a cruise out of NYC

4 hours ago, Gatorzzzz said:

NCL rebooked us on another to-be-canceled flight (instead of a flight leaving 75 minutes later, which was within the window of operation). As NCL refused to move me to the later flight, I was getting ready to pull the trigger and book a flight out of FLL when the airline canceled and moved us to the later flight..

I think the issue is that NCL couldn’t rebook without penalty until the flight was actually canceled by the airline. I just booked a flight for my daughter on United, basic economy, so no changes can be made. If I paid another $60 I could make changes.

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

I think the issue is that NCL couldn’t rebook without penalty until the flight was actually canceled by the airline. I just booked a flight for my daughter on United, basic economy, so no changes can be made. If I paid another $60 I could make changes.

Incorrect. The OP was flying on Delta which has a waiver in place until October 11th meaning that anyone can change their flight if they were flying at anytime up until the 11th. The waiver allows for any changes to the ticket without change fees and fare adjustments. The reality is that with NCLs tickets the airline isn't allowed to make any changes regardless but NCL could and it wouldn't have cost them anything in this specific instance. They refused to make the change because they simply don't care.

On 10/3/2022 at 11:42 PM, bortman23 said:

Honestly I don't see this as an NCL issue at this point, if the flight is with Delta this would appear to be their issue and they should be working to fix it. If they cancel the flight or rebook you then NCL would be obligated to step in.

It is a NCL issue because with bulk tickets they're the only ones that can make changes to it. Delta actually has a waiver in place that allows customers to change their flight dates without a change fee or fare difference if flying out of Fort Myers before October 11th.

Edited by DaCruiseBug

On 10/8/2022 at 10:38 AM, DaCruiseBug said:

It is a NCL issue because with bulk tickets they're the only ones that can make changes to it. Delta actually has a waiver in place that allows customers to change their flight dates without a change fee or fare difference if flying out of Fort Myers before October 11th.

So does Southwest. Their waiver includes flights out of Fort Myer through December 5, 2022 and gives information on how to contact them for flights that were booked in any way outside the direct Southwest app or website.