TV

azgrandmax3

Only going on watch channels we had on Carnival Radiance mid Aug Long Beach port. May vary by ship, or signal if where sailing.

Our tv service and PA announcements went down for a sea day, sure glad beought my ipad and flash drive with movies. People complained of no tv service, but when they fixed PA and all the annoying announcements I was thinking…is it worth no tv to have no announcements 🤔 

FB824A22-3CCD-49E9-A1F4-C21EE09B04F1.jpeg

7E6E3497-4681-4422-85CB-E65471FE945A.jpeg

12E1DF80-5255-4A37-B2DB-9C82E654AD1A.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, azgrandmax3 said:

Is there cnn or msncb on the tvs in the cabins?

On Miracle a week ago the only news channel was CBS News, and as I recall it's been like that on all of my Carnival cruises.  Honestly, Carnival's selection of what to watch on TV, as well as the TVs themselves, is disappointing when compared to the other cruise lines I've been on.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, azgrandmax3 said:

Is there cnn or msncb on the tvs in the cabins?

CARNIVAL TV CHANNELS
Channel 11: Fun Finds TV
Channel 13: Cruise Life TV
Channel 14: Channel Guide
Channel 15: Safety Channel
Channel 16: Cruise Life TV 2
Channel 17: Carnival Adventures
Channel 18: Map Channel
Channel 19: Forward Camera
Channel 20: Lido/Aft Camera
Channel 21: Audible Funtimes
Channel 22: CBS national news 
Channel 23: SPYDAR
Channel 24: Kids Central
Channel 25: Nickelodeon
Channel 26: HGTV
Channel 27: Food Network
Channel 28: Travel Channel
Channel 29: Discovery Channel
Channel 30: TBD
Channel 31: TBD
Channel 32: Complimentary Movies
Channel 33: Fun for All TV
Channel 34: Ocean View
Channel 35: Good to Know
Channel 36: Music Channel

• Like 3

5 hours ago, groundloop said:

On Miracle a week ago the only news channel was CBS News, and as I recall it's been like that on all of my Carnival cruises.  Honestly, Carnival's selection of what to watch on TV, as well as the TVs themselves, is disappointing when compared to the other cruise lines I've been on.

Carnival has a wide selection (at least on the Panorama and Radiance) of complimentary on demand movies.  Royal (at least on the Navigator) does not.  Royal did have more news channels, and a few unique channels (two that explored the ship / itinerary, and featured daily briefings and content recorded throughout the cruise  itself; one that featured two really corney made-for-Royal movies that were basically a creative way to advertise for upcharge options) but much of their content was on proprietary channels that had no pattern for scheduling.

For example, there’s kids and teen channels that showed a random assortment of programming, largely from Nickelodeon late 90s/early 00s.  Meanwhile, Carnival has actual familiar live channels.  I’m guessing much of Royal’s content is based on the ship, which is cheaper than showing satellite.  That said, I believe they show major live sports (in the room) whereas Carnival insists they cannot due to programming rights/costs.  Royal also had a catchy “wash your hands” song that if you have small kids they will sing a long with (it comes on every 5 minutes it seems).

Carnival use to also show recorded content from the cruise, and I wonder why they stopped.  Virtually everything is taped anyway to put it on the big screens…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SeaGeorge said:

Is the discovery channel the same as you would see at home?

IIRC, it’s a Caribbean feed of DirecTV but I believe all channels are simulcasts of the US feed.  We were on the Panorama during the Super Bowl, and it was a Caribbean feed of Latin America ESPN.  They claimed halftime show may be blacked out but it wasn’t.

I understand the ESPN sports feed is from Miami. Therefore, you will get games for that market area. On one trip the Miami Market carried soccer instead of a basketball game. I would like to see a channel for business news and stock market news. I can do without national political  news, I am on vacation. The CBS channel on the ship carries a lot of news documentaries. I tried to watch it, but it is really not news.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Itried4498 said:

Carnival has a wide selection (at least on the Panorama and Radiance) of complimentary on demand movies.  Royal (at least on the Navigator) does not.  Royal did have more news channels, and a few unique channels (two that explored the ship / itinerary, and featured daily briefings and content recorded throughout the cruise  itself; one that featured two really corney made-for-Royal movies that were basically a creative way to advertise for upcharge options) but much of their content was on proprietary channels that had no pattern for scheduling.

For example, there’s kids and teen channels that showed a random assortment of programming, largely from Nickelodeon late 90s/early 00s.  Meanwhile, Carnival has actual familiar live channels.  I’m guessing much of Royal’s content is based on the ship, which is cheaper than showing satellite.  That said, I believe they show major live sports (in the room) whereas Carnival insists they cannot due to programming rights/costs.  Royal also had a catchy “wash your hands” song that if you have small kids they will sing a long with (it comes on every 5 minutes it seems).

Carnival use to also show recorded content from the cruise, and I wonder why they stopped.  Virtually everything is taped anyway to put it on the big screens…

I used to love watching replays of the love and marriage show.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Itried4498 said:

I remember seeing, as I was flipping channels, a snippet of a recorded talk(excursion?) that I was at on the 8/29/22 sailing on the Radiance.

19 minutes ago, Tiger0613 said:

I remember seeing, as I was flipping channels, a snippet of a recorded talk(excursion?) that I was at on the 8/29/22 sailing on the Radiance.

Yes, they still record and play the excursion “presentation,” and often the disembarkation presentation, but that’s it.  Previously, Carnival would record and air highlights of the cruise - everything from excited people getting on the ship, the sailaway party, shows and events, the ship arriving and departing ports, sometimes interviews with passengers, etc.

3 hours ago, ledges1 said:

I understand the ESPN sports feed is from Miami. Therefore, you will get games for that market area. On one trip the Miami Market carried soccer instead of a basketball game. I would like to see a channel for business news and stock market news. I can do without national political  news, I am on vacation. The CBS channel on the ship carries a lot of news documentaries. I tried to watch it, but it is really not news.

I don’t think that’s correct.  ESPN is a national network, so what’s on in Miami is also on in NYC, Chicago, Dallas and Los Angeles.  On the Panorama and Radiance, the use the English Latin America ESPN feed.  I wouldn’t be surprised if they have a studio in Miami, but you wouldn’t Be able to view it there.  As I mentioned, they showed the Super Bowel on the Latin America ESPN - which does not have rights to carry it in the US.  Also, all the commercials are Caribbean.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Itried4498 said:

I don’t think that’s correct.  ESPN is a national network, so what’s on in Miami is also on in NYC, Chicago, Dallas and Los Angeles.  On the Panorama and Radiance, the use the English Latin America ESPN feed.  I wouldn’t be surprised if they have a studio in Miami, but you wouldn’t Be able to view it there.  As I mentioned, they showed the Super Bowel on the Latin America ESPN - which does not have rights to carry it in the US.  Also, all the commercials are Caribbean.

My example is as follows. Alabama vs Auburn basketball game was schedule on ESPN in Alabama. The ship ESPN did not carry the game, the Miami feed had a soccer game.

1 hour ago, ledges1 said:

My example is as follows. Alabama vs Auburn basketball game was schedule on ESPN in Alabama. The ship ESPN did not carry the game, the Miami feed had a soccer game.

Let’s try this again:

- In Alabama, you watch ESPN (US/Canada feed).

- In Miami, you watch ESPN (US/Canada feed).  This means that if you were living or staying in Miami, you would have seen the Auburn vs. Alabama game as ESPN provides a single national feed.

- On Carnival cruises, you watch ESPN Caribbean.  Unlike other Latin American versions of ESPN, the Caribbean feed is in English and has most of the programming of the USA/Canada feed, sans a heavier emphasis on soccer.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESPN_Caribbean

Carnival is using Caribbean-based DirecTV satellite, so all channels are Caribbean-based.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the explanation! I was using the bartenders explanation. Either way, the game was not on the Caribbean ESPN and I can understand why. Auburn won, I think most people on the ship would have preferred basketball to soccer in late February. Thanks 

On 10/8/2022 at 11:12 AM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

CARNIVAL TV CHANNELS
Channel 11: Fun Finds TV
Channel 13: Cruise Life TV
Channel 14: Channel Guide
Channel 15: Safety Channel
Channel 16: Cruise Life TV 2
Channel 17: Carnival Adventures
Channel 18: Map Channel
Channel 19: Forward Camera
Channel 20: Lido/Aft Camera
Channel 21: Audible Funtimes
Channel 22: CBS national news 
Channel 23: SPYDAR
Channel 24: Kids Central
Channel 25: Nickelodeon
Channel 26: HGTV
Channel 27: Food Network
Channel 28: Travel Channel
Channel 29: Discovery Channel
Channel 30: TBD
Channel 31: TBD
Channel 32: Complimentary Movies
Channel 33: Fun for All TV
Channel 34: Ocean View
Channel 35: Good to Know
Channel 36: Music Channel

TV on an of the Carnival sips sort of sucks

19 hours ago, bugsy7 said:

I prefer watching a test pattern, over watching soccer.

Watch it with an invested group of the  crew or person a fan of that team.

I'll never forget being on the Sensation 10-15 years ago and we were hanging out in the sportsbar so I could enjoiy a cigar I'd bought in Nassau the day before. (back when the sportsbar doubled as the cigar bar)

There was a world cup game, I think it was Ireland as a huge underdog and this older Irish gentlemnan was highly invested, living and dying with every kick. 

DW and I had no idea about soccer other than kicking the ball in the goal.

At the start of the game, It was the two of us and this gentleman in the entire bar.

Poor guy had pulled his chair a few feet away from the screen and was oblivious to everything else in the bar.

As the game went on people started drifting in and became glued to the game, mostly due to his enthusiasm and angst at the game.

By halftime (or whatever its called in soccer, it was still 0-0, but an incredibly intense game and apparently, his team  should have been losing like 2-0, 3-0.) there must have been 30 people piled around that one TV, cheering for his team. (mostly for this dude because he was so passionate)

He hadn't even noticed until the other team took a shot right before the half and his goalie saved it and a roar let out of the entire bar and he turned around to see the crowd. He had been oblivious to the crowd building around him the entire time.

Made an otherwise, completely uninteresting game, better than most Superbowls I've ever seen.

• Like 2

Yes, soccer takes some study to understand.  But once you understand the strategies, it's interesting.

Personally, I prefer rugby and hockey to soccer and football.  Both are moving the ball/puck toward the goal.  Both are fast.  No stopping, resetting lines after every tackle in rugby. clock keeps on ticking.  

1 hour ago, SeaScout said:

If the channels are not to your liking, you have the option of not watching them. I'd prefer that Carnival offer a wider array of viewing options. Like they did when I first started cruising. 

Carnival has to pay for the satellite feed to carry the various stations; cable-based channels (like CNN, History channel, HBO) obviously have access fees, but even "regular" ABC, NBC, etc - it isn't free "Over the Air" (OTA) like is it on land.  Those fees got hiked a few years ago, which is when Carnival (and maybe other lines) shuffled their TV channel line-ups.

I don't know what the access fees are per cabin per day, but it was enough for Carnival to say "no thanks" to many of their previous selections.