Is Walk off with luggage available on Celebrity

buzzandjulie

Yes it's available but one thing I have been noticing more and more people are using it.   On Summit last month there were about 300+ lined up even before they announced that walk off had begun and were asking people to remain in the  lounges until called.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Yes it's available but one thing I have been noticing more and more people are using it.   On Summit last month there were about 300+ lined up even before they announced that walk off had begun and were asking people to remain in the  lounges until called.

This.

If the notice indicates walk off will commence around 7, I usually head down 6:15ish, and am never at the beginning of the line.

Being early also reduces the stink eye that others give you when you bring luggage on to the elevator. 

Yes, and I wish it wasn't.  It used to be that you had to prove an early flight to do it.  I understand that.  Now anyone can.  So what happens?  People who have early flights and really need it get stuck in lines hundreds of passengers long.  Want to catch an elevator in the early morning?  Good luck.  Loaded with luggage and people.  Need to go anywhere near the exit area in the morning?  Again, good luck.  Stumbling over crowds of people and tons of luggage trying to get back to Blu for breakfast.  Have the bad luck to get behind all too many of a certain age (of which I am as well for the record) or a small size, struggling like crazy to move more darn luggage than they can reasonably handle, inching down the hallways,

I just wish people would show a little more consideration for others - something that seems to be in short supply these days.  If you really need to do it, fine.  But if you are just driving a few miles home from the ship and can wait for those who need it to clear out, please do so.  In fact, just put it out and wait for your number to be called to make life easier for others.  A little kindness and consideration would go a long way.  End of rant.

• Like 3

I can understand the request of some consideration but from what I've observed all of the walk off's are completed in the first 15-20 minutes.   If someone planned their transportation so close that 15 minutes makes a difference I feel they booked way too early.   

I've done regular departure (albeit in a suite where i can disembark at any time) and am usually at FLL by 9:15-9:30.  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Yes, and I wish it wasn't.  It used to be that you had to prove an early flight to do it.  I understand that.  Now anyone can.  So what happens?  People who have early flights and really need it get stuck in lines hundreds of passengers long.  Want to catch an elevator in the early morning?  Good luck.  Loaded with luggage and people.  Need to go anywhere near the exit area in the morning?  Again, good luck.  Stumbling over crowds of people and tons of luggage trying to get back to Blu for breakfast.  Have the bad luck to get behind all too many of a certain age (of which I am as well for the record) or a small size, struggling like crazy to move more darn luggage than they can reasonably handle, inching down the hallways,

I just wish people would show a little more consideration for others - something that seems to be in short supply these days.  If you really need to do it, fine.  But if you are just driving a few miles home from the ship and can wait for those who need it to clear out, please do so.  In fact, just put it out and wait for your number to be called to make life easier for others.  A little kindness and consideration would go a long way.  End of rant.

We queue to get off early (Fort Lauderdale) so my wife can go shopping in Orlando before we head to the airport to fly home. Are you suggesting we are selfish?

50 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

We queue to get off early (Fort Lauderdale) so my wife can go shopping in Orlando before we head to the airport to fly home. Are you suggesting we are selfish?

not saying that.  You have a reason to want to leave early related to ultimately catching a plane.  I am talking about people who just don't feel like waiting for no reason at all and then cause congestion for everyone.  And if she loves shopping, have you tried the Sawgrass Mills outlet mall?  They have both high end and middle range stores - a great mall!

8 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

not saying that.  You have a reason to want to leave early related to ultimately catching a plane.  I am talking about people who just don't feel like waiting for no reason at all and then cause congestion for everyone.  And if she loves shopping, have you tried the Sawgrass Mills outlet mall?  They have both high end and middle range stores - a great mall!

Thanks, might try that next time.

17 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm a little disappointed to hear this, but I know in my heart of hearts what you're saying is true.  When I walked off the Summit in November '17, I was one of the first 10 people off.  I don't expect to be nearly as lucky on my upcoming trip on the Millennium next month.  Self-disembarkation seems to have been a much more popular option on the other cruise lines I've tried, and it seems Celebrity is just catching up.

P.S.  300+ people in line on the Summit!  Why, I remember the good old days when there were barely 300 passengers on the ship!  I'll always remember my September 2021 trip fondly.

13 hours ago, C4HCG said:

I think selfishness only comes into it if you have no real reason to disembark early.

With (I assume a hire car) and flying back from Orlando to the UK I would want to be fairly promptly off the ship too although I probably would wait for the initial rush to die down. We would probably want to be early off straight after the self disembarking guests. Having done this trip many times we never really relax about that late afternoon/early evening flight until we are in the Orlando vicinity. The journey can be a piece of cake or a hard work depending on the traffic and the weather. 

I must confess in recent years we have seen more and more guests getting off with their luggage. One couple we chatted to said they preferred to carry off their luggage themselves rather than mess finishing off their packing the night before…

14 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Agree…We never risk difficult flights. However, in this day and age you can book a sensible flight time and then have it changed to a challenging one last minute. I do think that there could be an ‘express ticket ‘ line for guests who can prove they need to get off fast. Then let others self disembark after if they simply choose to do so.

Edited by chemmo

16 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Buddy of mine (within 2-hour easy driving distance) does this all the time so the wife can get a head-start on doing LAUNDRY 😲 😝

• Haha 3

They do and it’s a circus lately. Wait about 15 to 30 minutes after the self assist line begins and there won’t be a line. Most recently we finally just cut in front of the groups of people with 2-3 rolling suitcases each. They couldn’t roll them on the carpet, half of them had muffins and coffees in hand, bags were falling over…

I’m not sure why some people who clearly aren’t capable of moving their own bags with a noon flight feel the need to be off the ship at 6:30am. 

• Like 3

Ever since someone took my clearly marked purple suitcase with bright orange duct tape home with them, we always do!  We also book an early morning flight.  We definitely have noticed it is getting way more difficult to get on an elevator with your luggage so allow at least an additional 30 minutes for this process and pack your patience.  🙂

• Like 1

23 hours ago, buzzandjulie said:

On Exquonix. Can I still do walk off with luggage at end of cruise. Trying to set up return flight time 

Yes you can.  But, I have no desire to do so.  We try to have a day or two after the cruise in a hotel.  Or, at least an afternoon flight so we can enjoy the last morning on the ship.  We try to be the LAST ones off of the ship.  😎

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chemmo said:

I think selfishness only comes into it if you have no real reason to disembark early.

With (I assume a hire car) and flying back from Orlando to the UK I would want to be fairly promptly off the ship too although I probably would wait for the initial rush to die down. We would probably want to be early off straight after the self disembarking guests. Having done this trip many times we never really relax about that late afternoon/early evening flight until we are in the Orlando vicinity. The journey can be a piece of cake or a hard work depending on the traffic and the weather. 

I must confess in recent years we have seen more and more guests getting off with their luggage. One couple we chatted to said they preferred to carry off their luggage themselves rather than mess finishing off their packing the night before…

Agree…We never risk difficult flights. However, in this day and age you can book a sensible flight time and then have it changed to a challenging one last minute. I do think that there could be an ‘express ticket ‘ line for guests who can prove they need to get off fast. Then let others self disembark after if they simply choose to do so.

That would be a good compromise.  Let people walk off themselves if they want to, but require the very early birds to prove an early flight.  This wasn't that big of an issue until recently when capacity increased substantially.  On my recent Summit cruise the ship was full and the average age was probably 75+.  All the people struggling to drag around their luggage and clogging up the elevators and lounges with more luggage than they could handle was ridiculous.  This is not an ageist thing as I am not spring chicken myself, but people need to know their limits.  At 70+ I know trying to drag all my luggage around is just not the smart approach.

People talk about lost luggage and I know this can happen, but it is really not that common to lose luggage on the way off a ship.  Been on 70+ cruises, always put my luggage out, and never a problem.  Could it happen?  Yes, but odds are very low.

• Like 1

I think sometimes the rush to get off the ship is also to get to immigration, especially if the PAX isn't a U.S. Citizen.    While some ports have sped up the process with Facial ID for U.S. Citizens -  I have seen some huge lines for non-US passport holders. 

It can be similar  it to being on an airplane and arriving at gate a little late.   As soon as the seat belt sign dings people jump up and clamber for the exit.

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

I think sometimes the rush to get off the ship is also to get to immigration, especially if the PAX isn't a U.S. Citizen.    While some ports have sped up the process with Facial ID for U.S. Citizens -  I have seen some huge lines for non-US passport holders. 

It can be similar  it to being on an airplane and arriving at gate a little late.   As soon as the seat belt sign dings people jump up and clamber for the exit.

I think it would also help if people could just stay in their cabins for an hour or so longer, but I understand completely why this is not possible.  It does get frustrating having to sit in crowded public areas for a good length of time waiting for your luggage # to be called.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

And that's the kind of people that drive me crazy!!

I usually try to stay out of these "entitlement" discussions, but I fail to see why your flight time is anymore important than someone else's drive home, shopping trip, or laundry date.

Do you poll people in the departure line, scolding those not headed to the airport? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

The only ones that drive me crazy are the ones who intentionally book a flight earlier than the cruiseline says to and then try to demand special skip to the front of the line treatment.

Sorry. You chose to be stupid and not listen to what the safest earliest time is. That's not my fault.

(I feel the same when people intentionally get to the airport late and then want to skip up to the front of the security line. You made your choices. It's not my fault they were bad ones.)

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, EatonDoolittle said:

I usually try to stay out of these "entitlement" discussions, but I fail to see why your flight time is anymore important than someone else's drive home, shopping trip, or laundry date.

Do you poll people in the departure line, scolding those not headed to the airport? 

A little common sense and consideration would go a long way. Laundry can wait an hour. Someone else’s flight may not. These are probably the same people that swarm the gate at the airport 50 mins before boarding with their group 7 boarding pass 🤯

If we have another experience like the last time I won’t think twice about breezing past people who are clogging up the hallways as they fumble their suitcases.