puerto vallarta bus

sunsetme

Nay...safe but that's not the point now. Prior to covid we used to take the bus (across from Walmart) from the cruise port to the Malacon. Now our last two port stops there (as recently as 2 weeks ago) we took a taxi shuttle ($5.00 pp) they were lined up just outside the new PV terminal...lot's of cruisers doing this as the shuttles hold about 8 people. When you want to return just hail down a taxi to get back to the port...again $10.00.

Absolutely safe and the main means of transportation from most locals and many of us expats who live in PV.   Like any tourist city (all over the world) PV does have some pickpockets so one should always take normal precautions to protect valuables.  

As to COVID, we agree with some of what Ashland posted.  For the past two winters (we live in PV during the winter) we avoided the buses because of the heightened COVID risk (buses can be crowded).  But for the upcoming winter season we will likely return to bus use when we need to get out to the Supermarket, COSTCO, etc.   I should add that those using the buses, for the past 2 years) were required to be masked.  I am not sure of the current masking situation on buses but imagine if folks are still wearing masks on buses you will find many of them below their nose :). 

I also like to post that in PV, not only do we have plenty of taxis (clean and safe) but also have a pretty active Uber presence.  If you have the Uber app, you can use it in PV and make payment either by the usual account credit card or specify that you want to pay cash.  Just like in the USA, the Uber App works well and you can track progress on the moving map.

Hank

• Like 1

On 10/18/2022 at 6:16 PM, Ashland said:

Nay...safe but that's not the point now. Prior to covid we used to take the bus (across from Walmart) from the cruise port to the Malacon. Now our last two port stops there (as recently as 2 weeks ago) we took a taxi shuttle ($5.00 pp) they were lined up just outside the new PV terminal...lot's of cruisers doing this as the shuttles hold about 8 people. When you want to return just hail down a taxi to get back to the port...again $10.00.

We will be in PV at a cruise stop there in about 10 days. Where will the port taxi shuttle drops us off?  There will be 2 of us going, so we pay the taxi shuttle $10 USD cash or better to pay in pesos (we plan to get some pesos in Mazatlan, our 1st cruise stop)?

On the way back to the port, can easily just flag down a taxi?  Do we need to negotiate the price before getting on the taxi or it is set at $10 USD (2 of us) or by meter?  We want to stop by Walmart before getting back to the ship, okay to just tell the driver "Walmart by the cruise port" and the driver will know? 

Thank you. 

5 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

We will be in PV at a cruise stop there in about 10 days. Where will the port taxi shuttle drops us off?  There will be 2 of us going, so we pay the taxi shuttle $10 USD cash or better to pay in pesos (we plan to get some pesos in Mazatlan, our 1st cruise stop)?

On the way back to the port, can easily just flag down a taxi?  Do we need to negotiate the price before getting on the taxi or it is set at $10 USD (2 of us) or by meter?  We want to stop by Walmart before getting back to the ship, okay to just tell the driver "Walmart by the cruise port" and the driver will know? 

Thank you. 

The taxis inside the port (federal franchise) do charge per person.  Where you are dropped is between you and the driver.  If heading into town, the Rosita Hotel is at the Northern end of the Malecon (so you can simply walk south (along the water) and cover most of centro and the old town).  If you want to be dropped closer to the mid point you could ask to be dropped near the Cathedral (should be the same price as the Rosita).  As to getting back you si"mply find a taxi (they are all around town at taxi stands and you can also wave them down) but keep in mind that everything is negotiable.  The drivers know the cruise port, Walmart (we actually have two), etc.  Not sure of the current prices (they have increased) but you should expect to pay 150-200 Pesos to get to the port (that is per taxi...not per person).  If the driver wants more than 200, and you are not in a hurry, just smile and say "no gracias" and look for a better deal :).  Just keep in mind that the  difference between 150 and 200 pesos is about $2.50 in US Dollars.  

I will tell you a secret.  When a local taxi quotes me a fare that is a bit too high I sometimes smile and pay it...but do not give the driver a tip.  If a driver quotes me the correct (or lower) price I smile and later give him a good tip :).  In PV I like to reward honesty.   The truth is that these folks work hard and do not make a lot of money.  As a part time resident we are happy to support the local economy but just do not appreciate being ripped off.

Hank

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

The taxis inside the port (federal franchise) do charge per person.  Where you are dropped is between you and the driver.  If heading into town, the Rosita Hotel is at the Northern end of the Malecon (so you can simply walk south (along the water) and cover most of centro and the old town).  If you want to be dropped closer to the mid point you could ask to be dropped near the Cathedral (should be the same price as the Rosita).  As to getting back you si"mply find a taxi (they are all around town at taxi stands and you can also wave them down) but keep in mind that everything is negotiable.  The drivers know the cruise port, Walmart (we actually have two), etc.  Not sure of the current prices (they have increased) but you should expect to pay 150-200 Pesos to get to the port (that is per taxi...not per person).  If the driver wants more than 200, and you are not in a hurry, just smile and say "no gracias" and look for a better deal :).  Just keep in mind that the  difference between 150 and 200 pesos is about $2.50 in US Dollars.  

I will tell you a secret.  When a local taxi quotes me a fare that is a bit too high I sometimes smile and pay it...but do not give the driver a tip.  If a driver quotes me the correct (or lower) price I smile and later give him a good tip :).  In PV I like to reward honesty.   The truth is that these folks work hard and do not make a lot of money.  As a part time resident we are happy to support the local economy but just do not appreciate being ripped off.

Hank

Thank you for the information and suggestion.

The other post said " we took a taxi shuttle ($5.00 pp) they were lined up just outside the new PV terminal...lot's of cruisers doing this as the shuttles hold about 8 people.  ", so I thought  the shuttle fill up with 8 people before they leave the port, and drop all 8 people at a certain place.  Why was why I asked where the shuttle drops the people off. 

3 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

The other post said " we took a taxi shuttle ($5.00 pp) they were lined up just outside the new PV terminal...lot's of cruisers doing this as the shuttles hold about 8 people.  ", so I thought  the shuttle fill up with 8 people before they leave the port, and drop all 8 people at a certain place.  Why was why I asked where the shuttle drops the people off. 

I assume the drivers prefer a single drop point since it saves them time and trouble, To be very honest, I have never used one of those "federale taxis" that are inside the port.  The last time we were on a ship that stopped at PV, our entire table (8 persons) elected DW and I to be their tour guides we know the town.  We walked our entire group out of the port and took them on one of the local buses (about 50 cent fare) since we thought they would enjoy that local experience as opposed to being crammed into a taxi.  We did bring them back to the port in two taxis :).

Hank

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sfaaa said:

I took the bus in PV before Covid in 2019. Paid US$1 pp each way. It had a sign that said Walmart, Sam's and Centro on the windshield. Very easy to do and I don't speak or read Spanish.

Be aware not all drivers will accept US$ , it is a nice gesture if they do. 

5 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

I am that other poster that was just on a port stop in PV a couple of weeks ago on our way through the Panama Canal. And yes they did one drop off just before the pedestrian area started for the Malecon. You exit the shuttle and walk left..you'll be at the Malecon within a minute or two. This couldn't be easier to do.

Once you're ready to go back to the ship we go a block over where one way traffic will be headed towards the port. We ask the price (USD) before entering and it will be $10.00. Several times we've had the driver drop us directly at the front door to Walmart..again easy to do.

2 minutes ago, Ine said:

Be aware not all drivers will accept US$ , it is a nice gesture if they do. 

We haven't ever had that situation but we do always ask first. We've never felt the need to use anything other than USD for the very few things we purchase at our port stops in Mexico.

Edited by Ashland
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Ashland said:

I am that other poster that was just on a port stop in PV a couple of weeks ago on our way through the Panama Canal. And yes they did one drop off just before the pedestrian area started for the Malecon. You exit the shuttle and walk left..you'll be at the Malecon within a minute or two. This couldn't be easier to do.

Once you're ready to go back to the ship we go a block over where one way traffic will be headed towards the port. We ask the price (USD) before entering and it will be $10.00. Several times we've had the driver drop us directly at the front door to Walmart..again easy to do.

Thank you!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hlitner said:

As to getting back you si"mply find a taxi (they are all around town at taxi stands and you can also wave them down) but keep in mind that everything is negotiable.  The drivers know the cruise port, Walmart (we actually have two), etc.  Not sure of the current prices (they have increased) but you should expect to pay 150-200 Pesos to get to the port (that is per taxi...not per person).  If the driver wants more than 200, and you are not in a hurry, just smile and say "no gracias" and look for a better deal :).  Just keep in mind that the  difference between 150 and 200 pesos is about $2.50 in US Dollars.  

Hank

The taxi I get in town to go back to the port, can I pay using my U.S. credit card?  Or better to pay the driver with cash?   Thanks.

46 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

The taxi I get in town to go back to the port, can I pay using my U.S. credit card?  Or better to pay the driver with cash?   Thanks.

Have never seen any taxi driver accept credit cards.  Cash only and most drivers will accept US Dollars although you will generally not get a great exchange rate.  If you have the Uber app (and an account) it is possible to pay via your normal credit card on that app.   I should add that Uber is somewhat hit/miss.  There are times you can get a fast ride and other times you could be waiting a half hour.   Taxis are plentiful and just about everywhere.

Hank

8 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Have never seen any taxi driver accept credit cards.  Cash only and most drivers will accept US Dollars although you will generally not get a great exchange rate.  If you have the Uber app (and an account) it is possible to pay via your normal credit card on that app.   I should add that Uber is somewhat hit/miss.  There are times you can get a fast ride and other times you could be waiting a half hour.   Taxis are plentiful and just about everywhere.

Hank

Thank you.  

On 10/22/2022 at 5:30 PM, Hlitner said:

Hank

Hank,

Help, I'm having a senior moment...

Question: When I'm on the bus, from the cruise port heading to town (Malecon), there's a small church (not the cathedral) I use as a landmark...that's where I get off the bus. Do you know the name of that small church? Also, is there another landmark in addition to the Rosita Hotel? We are trying to get off the bus at the northernmost part of the promenade and enjoy a leisurely walk. Thanks!

2 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Hank,

Help, I'm having a senior moment...

Question: When I'm on the bus, from the cruise port heading to town (Malecon), there's a small church (not the cathedral) I use as a landmark...that's where I get off the bus. Do you know the name of that small church? Also, is there another landmark in addition to the Rosita Hotel? We are trying to get off the bus at the northernmost part of the promenade and enjoy a leisurely walk. Thanks!

Not Hank, but I assume you mean the church  Nuestra Señora del Refugio on Plaza Hidalgo. That church is close to the beginning of the Malecon. Although Hank mentions cathedral, there is no cathedral in Puerto Vallarta. The well known church  near the centre is just another church, Nuestra señora de Guadelupe. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ine said:

Not Hank, but I assume you mean the church  Nuestra Señora del Refugio on Plaza Hidalgo. That church is close to the beginning of the Malecon. Although Hank mentions cathedral, there is no cathedral in Puerto Vallarta. The well known church  near the centre is just another church, Nuestra señora de Guadelupe. 

I must thank Ine because, despite passing that church hundreds of times, I never knew the real name.  And it is also true that the Lady of Guadelupe is not a real "Cathedral" although many locals and expats refer to it that way.  An interesting feature of the Lady of Guadelupe is the unique crown that sits atop the building.  It is worth walking over to that church to look at the beautiful interior.

Hank

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ine said:

Thanks Ine! :classic_smile:

• Like 1

On 10/22/2022 at 7:35 PM, Level six said:

We always take the bus in PV.  It is safe and easy.  Everyone was masked when we were on it recently, better than the US, that's for sure.  We also paid $1. I loved it. 

I agree! We always take the bus because its ( we are) cheap and its kind of an adventure. It might be different now, but I was impressed that the majority of locals were masked up..more so than you see here

• Like 2