Refund for missed ports taxes and fees

KirkNC

Still learning the nuances of O.  In our previous life, if we missed a port, we received a refund for the prorated taxes and fees associated with that port.  On our current cruise we have missed three ports due to weather but when I asked the front desk about a refund for port taxes and fees they looked at me like I had two heads.  I looked through the invoice and it is silent on the topic.  So it appears O gets a windfall when they miss a port?

• Like 2

Per the Ticket Contract for my upcoming 11/22 cruise on Sirena:

4. Carrier's Discretion: As the Carrier, We reserve the right at any time, without notice or liability for refund, payment or compensation of any kind or credit credit (sic) except as otherwise required by law, to cancel any Cruise or CruiseTour, change or postpone the date or time of sailing or arrival, change the port of embarkation or final destination, shorten the Cruise or substitute the Ship, change or substitute any component of the CruiseTour....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

Still learning the nuances of O.  In our previous life, if we missed a port, we received a refund for the prorated taxes and fees associated with that port.  On our current cruise we have missed three ports due to weather but when I asked the front desk about a refund for port taxes and fees they looked at me like I had two heads.  I looked through the invoice and it is silent on the topic.  So it appears O gets a windfall when they miss a port?

We have the same experience on other lines, but O has the no refund or compensation policy. 

• Like 1

O bundles the port fees into it cruise pricing, so they aren't broken out like on some other lines.  Since your aren't being charged port fees as line items, there are no port fees to refund.  That's been O's policy.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Kirk - we ran into the same thing on Viking Ocean last November, with the same wide-eyed, glassy stare when I questioned getting a refund for missing Nicaragua.  Not only did we not receive any compensation for port taxes/fees, but we also didn't receive compensation for the included shore excursion that we paid for as part of the cruise fare (and what Viking so proudly advertises as included - one free excursion in every port). 

We're booked to do our first Oceania cruise at the end of 2024 (South America/Antarctica on Marina) so guess I'd best prepare myself now for the inevitable missed port on a 39 day cruise and no compensation.  Barb 

• Like 1

Happened to me.  On other cruise lines, when we missed ports, we got refund for port charges. It isn’t much.  We have missed ports on Oceania for many reasons. Never any refund. It really didn’t bother me.  Port charges should be refunded. However, the amount is small. It’s not worth making it an issue. That was until our Sirena cruise in March 2020. We were on the last cruise when the pandemic put a halt to cruising.  That cruise should’ve been canceled. We missed most of the scheduled ports. After the cruise I contacted O customer service to request refund of port charges. I was told that there were no port charges paid. None would be refunded. What?  Oceania insisted nobody paid port charges. Sounded crazy.  We did get some fcc. It wasn’t much.  We have tried using it. We booked, got canceled, rebooked, etc.  we are booked to cruise in December or we lose the fcc.  Looking forward to sailing on Oceania again.  I agree that when ports are skipped, the port charges should be refunded.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

O bundles the port fees into it cruise pricing, so they aren't broken out like on some other lines.  Since your aren't being charged port fees as line items, there are no port fees to refund.  That's been O's policy.

Personally it is a policy we like, when you see an advertised price for O you know that’s the price you’ll see on your invoice. No additional surprise of port fees added to the price quote.  Depending on the ports in question those unadvertised fees can really add up!

• Like 4

KirkNC, Would you mind saying what ship and itinerary you are you sailing? Three ports seems like a lot to miss.  I’m interested for future reference. 

You might check with your travel insurance.  When we missed a Swedish port on the Marina in 2019, our AAA travel insurance gave us $100.  We missed ports on Sirena this summer but we had different travel insurance and were not reimbursed.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, aqua said:

KirkNC, Would you mind saying what ship and itinerary you are you sailing? Three ports seems like a lot to miss.  I’m interested for future reference. 

You might check with your travel insurance.  When we missed a Swedish port on the Marina in 2019, our AAA travel insurance gave us $100.  We missed ports on Sirena this summer but we had different travel insurance and were not reimbursed.  

We are currently on the Sirena sailing London to Miami.  The weather has not been good.  Multiple days of 5-6 meter seas and winds as high as 45 knots (those figures per the Captain).  The specific area is the stretch from Bilbao to Lisbon.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bradpole said:

Personally it is a policy we like, when you see an advertised price for O you know that’s the price you’ll see on your invoice. No additional surprise of port fees added to the price quote.  Depending on the ports in question those unadvertised fees can really add up.

Lack of itemized additional port fees  may be small iota of candor in the otherwise most confusing and complex pricing structure in the cruise industry. Not itemizing port fees is beneficial to the cruise line however,specifically because it avoids need to refund fees for missed ports. I believe that the fees are itemized in invoices only the TA sees because my TA tells me they are subtracted out in calculating agency commissions.

• Like 4

This thread is interesting.  The topic really is refunds for missing ports.  Yet to me, it is the differences in how O prices out their fares.  If you were know to O as I am, this happened to you, you might get frustrated.  However, if you read this thread, and it happened to you, you would just let it go because you knew the situation before it happened.

Education on how cruise brands market and price makes uncontrollable situation like missing ports easier to handle if and when they happen.  Good stream with interesting information.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ORV said:

I can't remember the details but I think they started this(all charges bundled together) years ago due to certain Florida laws. Or I could be thinking of something else. 

I believe you are correct