MSC Free Balcony Upgrade False Advertisement

liliyamila

I booked an MSC Divina 4 night cruise with Kids Sail Free and Free Balcony Upgrade at the Ocean view price. The balcony room price showed up more expensive than the oceanview. I booked the ocean view cabin, being 100% sure that the balcony upgrade is included and we will get it. Today, they sent me confirmation of my room and gave me the ocean view. It's 46 days till sailing. The paperwork still says it's Free balcony upgrade. I called and they said because I chose the oceanview, they aren't upgrading me. When I go to check the pricing right now, the ocean view and balcony is the same price which wasn't the case when I booked it but the advertising was the same. 

Question is, should I try to fight it? Contact corporate by email? Or is this a lost cause? 

Edited by liliyamila

This is just my interpretation.....

1 hour ago, liliyamila said:

I called and they said because I chose the oceanview, they aren't upgrading me.

The promo states "Inside and Oceanview categories excluded." which (to me) means that a person must select/book a balcony stateroom and that the selection won't cost more than the ocean view stateroom. 

1 hour ago, liliyamila said:

When I go to check the pricing right now, the ocean view and balcony is the same price which wasn't the case when I booked it but the advertising was the same. 

I believe that what you see now is what it is supposed to be. 

Have you asked how much more it would be to upgrade to a balcony?

If you booked Fantastica, you are typically allowed one change without charge, and I think that's even after final payment.  This should allow you to alter the promotion to get the balcony cabin at the promotional price.  

Under Bella, I think you'd probably have to try to work with them.  The suggestion to upgrade at the current price would make sense, *if* they'd let you do it.  If you did book Bella, I'd suggest avoiding that in the future.  Usually, the prices aren't much different between Bella and Fantastica.  You have more options under Fantastica, more VC points, plus you know what cabin you're getting, at least most of the time.

Unfortunately I think you made a rookie mistake. When you look at those promotions is just that the balconies are priced the same as oceanviews. You have  click on the promo and click on the balcony category and book a balcony.   Like others have said if you are before final payment just cancel and rebook as a new booking. 

Edited by mawvkysc
  • Like 3

This is why you use a travel agent... Call back and be super nice! I find you get more with honey... It's a rookie mistake and you need to read the fine print! Just call and be as pleasant as you can be-dont let your frustration get the best of you!

If you wanted a balcony, why not just choose one from the start. That's what we did although we just booked. And the oceanview and balcony were both the same price - only the balcony included $100 obc notation at the top. Now unfortunately, you'll have to pay to move to a balcony. I would stay put for a short cruise. 

You have to select a balcony when doing that promotion, do not select an ocean view and expect to get a balcony. If you would've noticed as others have mentioned the prices were the same for oceanview and balcony when selecting which room type you wanted. I would email

MSCExistingReservations@msccruisesusa.com

And hope they fix it for you.

Best of luck.

Edited by TwoAdriftAtSea
  • Like 2

On 11/1/2022 at 11:37 AM, liliyamila said:

I booked an MSC Divina 4 night cruise with Kids Sail Free and Free Balcony Upgrade at the Ocean view price. The balcony room price showed up more expensive than the oceanview. I booked the ocean view cabin, being 100% sure that the balcony upgrade is included and we will get it. Today, they sent me confirmation of my room and gave me the ocean view. It's 46 days till sailing. The paperwork still says it's Free balcony upgrade. I called and they said because I chose the oceanview, they aren't upgrading me. When I go to check the pricing right now, the ocean view and balcony is the same price which wasn't the case when I booked it but the advertising was the same. 

Question is, should I try to fight it? Contact corporate by email? Or is this a lost cause? 

I wish you luck and as pointed out you made an error, but calling and emailing usually results in nothing.

They don't care!

Just hope they don't downgrade you to an inside with no reduction in fare.

Downgrading happened to me.

On 11/1/2022 at 6:21 PM, Stockjock said:

If you booked Fantastica, you are typically allowed one change without charge, and I think that's even after final payment.  This should allow you to alter the promotion to get the balcony cabin at the promotional price.  

MSC will not do this after the final payment. The statement they give is "for new bookings only". They will re-rate it, but it will be at the non-promo rate.

Most cruise lines are really tightening the belt with re-rating and honoring promos for existing bookings.

Edited by UPNYGuy

On 11/1/2022 at 1:37 PM, liliyamila said:

I have been playing around with bookings & have discovered that NOT ALL sailings qualify. 

Could be they have so many per ship under the promotion, not sure.

That seems to be what happened.