LIVE from Discovery Nov. 5 - Nov. 14, 2022 - including Sky Suite experience

HBCcruiser

Wow, a sky suite!  Will definitely be following along, that is if you can log into Cruise Critic while cruising.  I could not get into it at all last week on the Discovery.  In fact I got the dreaded no Internet message quite a bit and sometimes even simple text messages would not send (I enable Wifi calling on my iPhone).  I couldn't get into my Cox email at all on this cruise nor on the one on the same ship in July.  When it happened in July the Internet Manager sent the error message I was getting back to shoreside for review (he got it too when he tried to go to the Cox website).  Different Internet Manager last week and he basically said it is what it is.  I also asked what happened to to the Internet service post pause, it used to be better.  He said pre-Covid there were maybe 600 devices connected and now there are frequently more than 4000 connected.  When I mentioned "Fastest Wifi at Sea" he basically said what Marketing says and what happens on the ship are two very different things.  Good luck, hope your experience is better at the top of the ship.

On a happier note Vanessa is wonderful.  We went to the happy hour in the Suite Concierge Lounge most nights including the special Mexican Fiesta night where they added Margaritas and lots of special appetizers (quesadillas, jalapeno poppers etc.) to the buffet so we visited with Vanessa and other suite guests quite a bit.  They also have bottled water (plain and fizzy) out for the taking all day and night.  All of this is new to us since the last time we were in a full suite (pre-pandemic).

Although you're getting a lot of alcohol in the room, they are now providing a full bottle of red or white wine instead of the 8 little bottles of hard liquor that are usually part of the Elite / Suite mini bar set up.  The wine was drinkable (unlike the swill that they give to Club Class mini suite passengers), at least to me.  Between the two bottles of wine and the two hour happy hours, we didn't use the Plus package much at all.

By the way it was in the Suite Concierge lounge during happy hour last Friday that we received our invitation to 360.  Another couple we were chatting with on the last night of the cruise had gone and we were asked if we wanted to fill the last two slots that evening.  We did go.  We were told by one of the waiters that it was officially starting November 5th but if that is not the case and they are still running the trials, I can't imagine that they wouldn't include you if you asked.  Definitely ask Mirella when you are onboard about it.

I hope you have a fantastic time on the beautiful Discovery Princess!  We sure miss the ship.

• Thanks 1

By the way I'm wondering if Mirela is at the end of her contract.  We had business cards from Vanessa (the Suite Concierge) and Mirela Petcu (Suite Experience Manager) in our suite when we first arrived and we never met Mirela.  But when we went to the Concierge Lounge we met the two Vanessas one of whom was the Suite Experience Manager too (and it was Vanessa the Suite Experience Manager who invited us to 360).  I guess you'll find out soon enough - here's a snippet of the invitation we received to the Mexican Fiesta from both Vanessas:

image.thumb.jpeg.0a5a5d748be73fc3b33bd36ed0163ba7.jpeg

Edited by azbirdmom
  • Like 1

Interesting with 2 Vanessa's!  We will be on the ship again at Christmas and Mirela told us she will be there at that time.  Vanessa Hale will be leaving to go home on Dec. 17. 

Funny we hardly used our Plus package on the cruise also.  The Mexican Fiesta evening was nice with very tasty treats.  Margaritas were also quite good.  Better than what we have gotten at the bars on the ships. 

I have to say we were disappointed with Sabatini's on this ship.  It just doesn't have the ambiance at all the other ships have.  It is sort of uninviting and felt cheap to me.  Even table cloths would make a difference.  The service was alright it just didn't feel like the same experience.  I think we will try Club Class for breakfast on the next cruise.  Definitely won't be going to Sabatini's for dinner again though. 

Internet is certainly an issue. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Hulagirl said:

Interesting with 2 Vanessa's!  We will be on the ship again at Christmas and Mirela told us she will be there at that time.  Vanessa Hale will be leaving to go home on Dec. 17. 

Funny we hardly used our Plus package on the cruise also.  The Mexican Fiesta evening was nice with very tasty treats.  Margaritas were also quite good.  Better than what we have gotten at the bars on the ships. 

I have to say we were disappointed with Sabatini's on this ship.  It just doesn't have the ambiance at all the other ships have.  It is sort of uninviting and felt cheap to me.  Even table cloths would make a difference.  The service was alright it just didn't feel like the same experience.  I think we will try Club Class for breakfast on the next cruise.  Definitely won't be going to Sabatini's for dinner again though. 

Internet is certainly an issue. 

Hmmm, maybe there are two Suite Managers and we just didn't meet Mirela?  And I agree with you on Sabatini's on the Discovery.  I think they made it more contemporary / generic which will enable them to easily change dining concepts in the future.  We did go to Sabatini's most mornings for breakfast and it was good but for the first time I liked the James Beard French toast over the usual brioche version in Sabatini's.  I mentioned that and they were able to do the James Beard style for me.  First world problems I know, it's all good!

1 hour ago, azbirdmom said:

Good luck, hope your experience is better at the top of the ship.

I am not very hopeful which is why I am bringing my GlocalMe 5G hotspot with me as well. I know it won't work during sea days but it may help when we are at port. Thor agreed that the WiFi is not good but he said it is not terrible. Of course he works for Princess so... 

1 hour ago, azbirdmom said:

Vanessa the Suite Experience Manager who invited us to 360

I plan on asking about it. If it does not work out that is OK. Our Balcony Dinner will serve as our Anniversary Dinner. We are bringing on bottles of some of our favorite wines just in case they do not have the Silverado (or other brands) that I like. I am an admitted wine snob. Period. I can't drink crap wine - it just won't go down. 😂

• Like 4

Also following along.  We had one of the S4 suites right next to the Concierge Lounge (I had chosen that location specifically for my wife's bad knee and I knew we would use it daily).  Loved it.  can't recall the Concierge's name, but was different back then (May 2022).  Took a tour of the SkySuites, very impressive.  A bit much for just two of us though. 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=686543

• Like 3

Funny Thor said the wifi wasn't terrible.  My guess is he hasn't been on the ship, because it is terrible.  Staff knows it is terrible also.  Glad you have something to help with it. 

Will be curious about 360 also. 

We did have the Silverado Sauv Blanc in the Concierge Lounge every evening.  I know they had other wine bottles there but honestly I didn't look to see what they were.  Agree, about the wine.  We won't drink a lot of the wine they offer either.  Just can't do it!!!  LOL  Admitted wine snobs also.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

I am not very hopeful which is why I am bringing my GlocalMe 5G hotspot with me as well. I know it won't work during sea days but it may help when we are at port. Thor agreed that the WiFi is not good but he said it is not terrible. Of course he works for Princess so... 

IF what I heard about the number of devices connected significantly affecting performance is true you may fare better.  I'm thinking that your cruise may not be full.  Our's was the Love Boat theme cruise and we had more than 3400 passengers onboard.  In any event it sounds like you are prepared for what may happen which is all you can do.  We checked email in ports when we could wake our phones up (no charge with T-Mobile).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

IF what I heard about the number of devices connected significantly affecting performance is true you may fare better.  I'm thinking that your cruise may not be full.  Our's was the Love Boat theme cruise and we had more than 3400 passengers onboard.  In any event it sounds like you are prepared for what may happen which is all you can do.  We checked email in ports when we could wake our phones up (no charge with T-Mobile).

I think this cruise and the next might be pretty full. Many cabin categories were sold out due to the cancellation of another cruise (Discovery??) I can't remember which one(s). At least I am ready for the worst and hoping for the best. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hulagirl said:

Funny Thor said the wifi wasn't terrible.  My guess is he hasn't been on the ship, because it is terrible.  Staff knows it is terrible also.  Glad you have something to help with it. 

Will be curious about 360 also. 

We did have the Silverado Sauv Blanc in the Concierge Lounge every evening.  I know they had other wine bottles there but honestly I didn't look to see what they were.  Agree, about the wine.  We won't drink a lot of the wine they offer either.  Just can't do it!!!  LOL  Admitted wine snobs also.

I drank the Sauvignon Blanc each night in the Concierge Lounge, well except for the night with Margaritas.  I'm not a wine snob by any stretch and can tolerate all but the cheapest wines though so I couldn't tell you what the other wines were either.  They had several though and from a picture that I took I can see the reds - The Footbolt Shiraz, Los Vascos Cabernet Sauvignon, Calera Pinot Noir, and Canyon Road Cabernet (the same brand of wine they had in the Elite / Suite mini bar set up).

• Like 1

On 11/2/2022 at 3:58 PM, HBCcruiser said:

Thor said that we should hear from Vanessa (I thought it was Mirella🤷‍♀️) via WhatsApp in a day or so to finalize the embarkation plans. Can't wait! 

Just wanted to wish you Bon Voyage and I look forward to reading about your experience. 

• Like 1

We just spent 2 weeks on Discovery ,quite lovely except Wi Fi ...next time we sail on her in February I hope it will be better ....there was a young man from UK in Internet Cafe who more or less said ..yes its awful too bad .Later in the day there is a different gentleman and sometimes a Lady who would give Goodwill Credits ....some sailing were still hoping to do a little work from the ship . 

Nobody could check in for flights unless they tried and got very lucky.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, donswife said:

Most of the move over offers from the canceled Diamond cruises were to the Discovery.  We got one from an aft suite to a forward suite. We will definitely get our walking in!

THAT’s the ship that had the cancellations! They moved you from an aft to a forward suite? Did you get a choice? 

1 hour ago, DUCHESSRN said:

We just spent 2 weeks on Discovery ,quite lovely except Wi Fi ...next time we sail on her in February I hope it will be better ....there was a young man from UK in Internet Cafe who more or less said ..yes its awful too bad .Later in the day there is a different gentleman and sometimes a Lady who would give Goodwill Credits ....some sailing were still hoping to do a little work from the ship . 

Nobody could check in for flights unless they tried and got very lucky.

Aaaand that’s what I’m afraid of. We will all need to do a little work onboard. I think since the pandemic our jobs expect us to be reachable 24/7. Not good but just the way it is now. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

THAT’s the ship that had the cancellations! They moved you from an aft to a forward suite? Did you get a choice? 

It was the closest category to what we had booked on the Diamond.  None of the Vista suites were available, which I'm happy about, i don't like the location or set up. DH is excited about the slanted forward windows.  I'm going to start taking bonine before we board 😅.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2022 at 8:46 PM, HBCcruiser said:

Thanks for the info! I have received emails and an itinerary update from Thor, the land based concierge. He said Vanessa should be contacting us soon via WhatsApp. I’ll definitely keep you posted. It’s funny, he seems really worried that we are doing an independent tour on the overnight day. Thor reminded me that the last tender is at midnight (I’ve heard 10:30 PM from FB peeps). I plan on eating dinner onboard after the tour so we’d be getting back onboard around 8:00.  He did tell me to contact them if we are running late for some reason. We did joke that if the guys miss the last shuttle they can stay at Sandos Resort where we have stayed before! 😂😂

Hey let us know if you miss the last water taxi, we'll keep an eye on your cabin for you 😉

• Haha 1

HBCcruiser!  Have a wonderful cruise.  Can't wait to hear about the Sky Suite.  The pictures of it look fantastic.  We look forward to being back on the ship in December. 

Good luck with internet!  Hoping you have a better connection where the cabin is located.  Can only hope!

Bon Voyage

47 minutes ago, Hulagirl said:

HBCcruiser!  Have a wonderful cruise.  Can't wait to hear about the Sky Suite.  The pictures of it look fantastic.  We look forward to being back on the ship in December. 

Good luck with internet!  Hoping you have a better connection where the cabin is located.  Can only hope!

Bon Voyage

Thank you! I plan on taking lots of pics. We shall see about the Internet, although, as being reported on FB and here, it does not look too good. 😒 Also, I have yet to hear from Vanessa and I am guessing it is due to the poor internet (Sea Day today). 

• Like 1