After This Date, You'll Need Real ID to Fly. Here's What to Know

HamOp

I was at an airport recently that was already using real ID.  It was great.  At security I just handed them my drivers license.  They didn’t need boarding passes at all.  I was in the TSA pre check line but it appears that there may be no reason to remember to use your TSA number anymore when booking, your license knows ……

5 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I was at an airport recently that was already using real ID.  It was great.  At security I just handed them my drivers license.  They didn’t need boarding passes at all.  I was in the TSA pre check line but it appears that there may be no reason to remember to use your TSA number anymore when booking, your license knows ……

That's not Real ID. That's just using a different process to verify you.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

Real ID is NOT just special driver's licenses!

You can use your passport or your Global Entry card if you have one

Yes, when I needed to renew my NY state driver's license, I was asked if I wanted the new one that could be used as real ID. I then asked if there was a fee. I was told yes. Then I said I had a passport that had 9 years left on it, did I need this new license. I was told NO.

• Like 3

We paid the extra to get the star on our licenses when we renewed.  I had not heard the term "real ID" prior to this post.  As far as cost goes, it is a 1 time fee, you retain your star each time you renew.  I am not sure if this would hold true if your name changed though.

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

That's not Real ID. That's just using a different process to verify you.

My license is a real ID so I figured it was already in play.  So what is that?  It was TSA, no an airline checkpoint. 

19 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

My license is a real ID so I figured it was already in play.  So what is that?  It was TSA, no an airline checkpoint. 

If you don't use your TSA number when you book it will not show up on your boarding pass and you will not be allowed to get in the pre check line. There is always an employee checking for pre check at the entrance to the pre check line. At least that is the way it is at the airports i use most often.

Edited by Laminator

7 minutes ago, Laminator said:

If you don't use your TSA number when you book it will not show up on your boarding pass and you will not be allowed to get in the pre check line. There is always an employee checking for pre check at the entrance to the pre check line. At least that is the way it is at the airports i use most often.

So this is what happened.  I walked into the airport directly to the TSA pre check line and as I fumbled about he said all I need is your license, no ticket, no boarding pass, no nothing, just the license .  That’s it.   I had pre registered with my TSA number but it leads me to believe in the future it won’t be necessary as everything is encoded through the license. 

Just now, Mary229 said:

So this is what happened.  I walked into the airport directly to the TSA pre check line and as I fumbled about he said all I need is your license, no ticket, no boarding pass, no nothing, just the license .  That’s it.   I had pre registered with my TSA number but it leads me to believe in the future it won’t be necessary as everything is encoded through the license. 

Vegas was one of the test airports for that a few years ago. Amazing technology. The agent showed me the screen with my info. I am more enthralled with the new Global Entry technology. You don't need to put your fingers on the screen. Takes your pic and there is an officer there with an IPAD calling out your name. I am sure there are people not happy with Big Brother but I am all about convenience. 

5 minutes ago, Laminator said:

Vegas was one of the test airports for that a few years ago. Amazing technology. The agent showed me the screen with my info. I am more enthralled with the new Global Entry technology. You don't need to put your fingers on the screen. Takes your pic and there is an officer there with an IPAD calling out your name. I am sure there are people not happy with Big Brother but I am all about convenience. 

This was not biometric.  Simply handed the license and he ran it through a scanner. I asked and was told it knew where I was flying that I was precheck, etc….    Perfect for a solo traveler with only carryons.  No fumbling around. 

9 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

This was not biometric.  Simply handed the license and he ran it through a scanner. I asked and was told it knew where I was flying that I was precheck, etc….    Perfect for a solo traveler with only carryons.  No fumbling around. 

Yes...that was what was tested in Vegas. All from your license. No ticket to scan. I wish the airlines would upgrade. I think Delta is trying biometrics. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Laminator said:

Yes...that was what was tested in Vegas. All from your license. No ticket to scan. I wish the airlines would upgrade. I think Delta is trying biometrics. 

Is it the airlines?  I never approached an airline counter until after TSA and is this the much ballyhooed Real ID process?  I assumed it was but someone above told me no

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

Is it the airlines?  I never approached an airline counter until after TSA and is this the much ballyhooed Real ID process?  I assumed it was but someone above told me no

Delta is testing facial recognition to board. TSA has been testing and has now implemented the ID scan system in several airports. Real ID has been delayed for so many years I am not sure how much it has to so with TSA's new software system. I have had Real ID for years I believe 4 years now. 

Just now, Laminator said:

Delta is testing facial recognition to board. TSA has been testing and has now implemented the ID scan system in several airports. Real ID has been delayed for so many years I am not sure how much it has to so with TSA's new software system. I have had Real ID for years I believe 4 years now. 

my experience was not with an airline it was TSA.  I wish I could remember which airport I was in so someone on the ground could report.  I am pretty sure this was a real ID checkpoint, perhaps a test but it was not airline. 

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Yes, when I needed to renew my NY state driver's license, I was asked if I wanted the new one that could be used as real ID. I then asked if there was a fee. I was told yes.

How much was the fee? 

Not every state charges for Real ID. When I renewed a couple of years ago, there was no charge for Real ID so long as I was doing a renewal. People who want to upgrade before their renewal is due have to pay a fee, however. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

my experience was not with an airline it was TSA.  I wish I could remember which airport I was in so someone on the ground could report.  I am pretty sure this was a real ID checkpoint, perhaps a test but it was not airline. 

I understand that. I am talking about 2 different things. One is the ease of getting thru TSA with their new system. The other is me wishing the boarding process would be made easier also. 
A few years ago when I went through TSA when they were testing this new system the agent never asked if i had a Real ID or even looked at my license to see if it had the star on it. She just put it in the reader so I am not sure how much Real ID had to do with anything. 

3 minutes ago, RuthC said:

How much was the fee? 

Not every state charges for Real ID. When I renewed a couple of years ago, there was no charge for Real ID so long as I was doing a renewal. People who want to upgrade before their renewal is due have to pay a fee, however. 

IIRC it was only $10 above the normal renewal fee.  We were told that it was a 1 time fee, from then on our licenses would have the star when renewing.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Laminator said:

I understand that. I am talking about 2 different things. One is the ease of getting thru TSA with their new system. The other is me wishing the boarding process would be made easier also. 
A few years ago when I went through TSA when they were testing this new system the agent never asked if i had a Real ID or even looked at my license to see if it had the star on it. She just put it in the reader so I am not sure how much Real ID had to do with anything. 

Ok, that is what I was getting at.   Mine is a real ID as a large majority of Texas licenses are by now.  I am pretty sure it was a test as it was a one time event and the agent seemed pretty pleased with the setup.  It was nice as only your license was required, no ticket.  The two step, license then boarding pass, is always a fumble for me.  

The boarding process seems to be brought to its knees by our fellow passengers 1. Simply not following instructions and 2. Those abusing the handicap services.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RuthC said:

How much was the fee? 

We don’t pay.  It has been phased in over the past couple of years as people came up for renewal. Of course we do pay a license renewal fee 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, RuthC said:

How much was the fee? 

I did not pay extra for my Real ID either as I was renewing my license.  If you don’t have a Real ID you will need to use your passport to board a domestic flight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RuthC said:

How much was the fee? 

I did not ask after I was told I would not need it with an almost brand new passport.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mary229 said:

@RuthC  I looked up Rhode Island and it says

• There is no additional cost for a REAL ID, when you apply for it during your renewal period. A REAL ID will cost $27.50 outside your renewal period.

That seems like a lot! I didn't know the charge here, and would not have paid it as I have a passport. 
No one needs Real ID for any reason I know of if they have a valid passport. 

• Like 1