Booked Excursions Disappeared

phoebe2m

I booked 3 excursions and received email confirmations for our 1/31/23 cruise to Hawaii. All 3 were showing on the Princess website in the Excursions tab (Reserved for 2 Guests) but now one is missing, the one in Maui. Should I be concerned? I printed out the email showing that we are booked but don't want to miss out. Thanks for any advise. 

5 minutes ago, phoebe2m said:

I booked 3 excursions and received email confirmations for our 1/31/23 cruise to Hawaii. All 3 were showing on the Princess website in the Excursions tab (Reserved for 2 Guests) but now one is missing, the one in Maui. Should I be concerned? I printed out the email showing that we are booked but don't want to miss out. Thanks for any advise. 

Had the same thing happen the other day for our Feb 23, 2023 cruise to Hawaii.  Now the Lahaina whale watching by boat is now longer showing.

• Thanks 1

I just had one of our shore excursions we booked an paid for (months ago) on our Sky Princess cruise in January 2023 disappear over the weekend. That specific shore excursion does not show in the available excursions any longer either. I called Princess today and after the phone 'navigator' got my information I was put on hold for him to check on this - after multiple times coming back t let me know he was still working on it, he came back on the line after about 30 minutes on hold/him checking and told me that even his supervisor could not determine why the excursion was cancelled and no notification to me. He did tell me that I would be refunded in 10-15 days. 

Then later this after this afternoon I got an email from Princess for this cruise with 'Emergency Notification' as the subject - letting me know that the missing shore excursion was removed from my booking as it was no longer available 'for operational reasons'. The only thing can think of as for the reason is due to the hurricane in Puerto Rico recently.

• Thanks 1

sounds like there may be an issue with the tour operator since this is happening on several cruises...does the tour still show as bookable? Princess is not very good at notifying about dropped excursions. You might want to start thinking about a backup plan...I no longer see the whale watch excursions (the ones on the zodiac are still there but neither the catamaran nor the regular boat are) on either our March 2023 or 2024 cruises so there seems to be something happening

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, trbarton said:

Same thing happened to me. I had the Polynesian Cultural Center in Honolulu booked & just by chance I looked at my excursions & it was gone. 

If I haven’t looked I would have never known. 

Tom😀

These are the hours for the Polynesian Cultural Center.

Polynesian Cultural Center:
Monday-Saturday, 12:30 – 9:00 pm
Closed Sundays,  Wednesdays, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day

Could this be the reason that your tour was cancelled?  I knew about Sunday.  Did not know about Wednesdays.  Most of the employees are students from BYU (next door).  

Hawaii is having a difficult time with staffing, everywhere....My Hallmark store outside of town is closed Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday.  Yes...three full days.  I would imagine that the contracted busses are also having a difficult time getting restarted.  And the Japanese are just starting to return to the islands.  

Hawaii was much like Princess at the start up.  As long as the ships were sailing at 50% occupancy, everything was working well. Once tourism ramped up to 80%, it was hard to keep everyone serviced.  And we are not up to 100% yet.  

https://labor.hawaii.gov/blog/news/hawaiis-unemployment-rate-at-new-record-2-0-in-november/

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

These are the hours for the Polynesian Cultural Center.

Polynesian Cultural Center:
Monday-Saturday, 12:30 – 9:00 pm
Closed Sundays,  Wednesdays, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day

Could this be the reason that your tour was cancelled?  I knew about Sunday.  Did not know about Wednesdays.  Most of the employees are students from BYU (next door).  

Hawaii is having a difficult time with staffing, everywhere....My Hallmark store outside of town is closed Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday.  Yes...three full days.  I would imagine that the contracted busses are also having a difficult time getting restarted.  And the Japanese are just starting to return to the islands.  

Hawaii was much like Princess at the start up.  As long as the ships were sailing at 50% occupancy, everything was working well. Once tourism ramped up to 80%, it was hard to keep everyone serviced.  And we are not up to 100% yet.  

https://labor.hawaii.gov/blog/news/hawaiis-unemployment-rate-at-new-record-2-0-in-november/

Thanks I now understand as they are closed on the day of my tour. Perhaps Princess didn’t know that in advance. 

Tom😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For "operational reasons" I never book excursions ahead of time.  If I haven't already booked a tour with a local guide or company,  I wait until I'm on the ship and see what's available and the costs comes out of my OBC and/or on-board account.  

It's never failed me yet.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, trbarton said:

If I haven’t looked I would have never known. 

Tom😀

This!  I had an excursion canceled on our January 2023 Panama Canal cruise in Huatulco a month ago.  No notification, just one day I noticed it was gone.  Called Princess, rep had no idea, received a refund about seven days later.

Got an email this morning telling me it was canceled due to operational issues.  I was encouraged to rebook as soon as possible since popular tours book up quickly.

• Thanks 1

We sail next Thursday on Sapphire to Hawaii.  Saw chat on the rollcall that an excursion was cancelled.  Looked and sure enough mine was gone.  Granted it is on Thanksgiving day but they should have known and let us know well before this.  There are no tours available at this late date to book.  I'll check when we get onboard and see if anything is available or they've added additional spaces on other tours.  I did check my credit card and see the refunds but no emails at all.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, disneyochem said:

This!  I had an excursion canceled on our January 2023 Panama Canal cruise in Huatulco a month ago.  No notification, just one day I noticed it was gone.  Called Princess, rep had no idea, received a refund about seven days later.

Got an email this morning telling me it was canceled due to operational issues.  I was encouraged to rebook as soon as possible since popular tours book up quickly.

We're on the 1/2/23 Panama cruise and had an excursion there cancelled as well.  (the one to the ruins).  I was really looking forward to it, nothing else caught my fancy.  Might just make it a beach day, there's on at the end of the pier.

• Thanks 1

It seems like Maui is having problems staffing excursions. I had one marked to buy for upcountry and it disappeared. I looked at one of the stops and they are now closed on the day we are there. I did have another one cancelled too. Princess is also depending on the tour operators to give them notice. I am packing my patience 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, bagney said:

I just had one of our shore excursions we booked an paid for (months ago) on our Sky Princess cruise in January 2023 disappear over the weekend. That specific shore excursion does not show in the available excursions any longer either. I called Princess today and after the phone 'navigator' got my information I was put on hold for him to check on this - after multiple times coming back t let me know he was still working on it, he came back on the line after about 30 minutes on hold/him checking and told me that even his supervisor could not determine why the excursion was cancelled and no notification to me. He did tell me that I would be refunded in 10-15 days. 

Then later this after this afternoon I got an email from Princess for this cruise with 'Emergency Notification' as the subject - letting me know that the missing shore excursion was removed from my booking as it was no longer available 'for operational reasons'. The only thing can think of as for the reason is due to the hurricane in Puerto Rico recently.

Lots of tour operators have gone out of business.  No operator, no tour.  Obtaining insurance is expensive  and time consuming to obtain 

• Thanks 1

My Trilogy Catamaran Lahaina Sail in Maui disappeared from my travel summary.  I didn't get any notification from Princess either.  Instead of refunding the full amount I paid with my credit card they refunded $50 back to the promotional onboard credit and the remainder back to the credit card.  Not happy about this.

• Thanks 1

As much as a trip to the islands during the holidays is a fun cruise, if your ship arrives on Thanksgiving or Christmas (to any of the ports),  you won't find much open.  Fortunately, there are a lot of "free" activities to do on each island.  Getting to them may be a problem.  Have a back-up car rental plan.  

In my case our cruise is on Jan 6th and we would be in Maui on the 15th, so holidays don’t play into this.  Also the tour operator is still in business so I don’t understand why the excursion was cancelled.  What ticks me off is Princess didn’t even bother to notify me in an email.  I discovered it by accident when I was checking my credit card.  I’m still waiting for a call back from Princess.

• Like 1

Today I received an email about the cancelled excursion. Better late than never. 

SHORE EXCURSION CANCELLATION (JHM-620/JHM-645)
Please be advised the Trilogy Catamaran Lahaina Sail (JHM-620) and Deluxe Whale Watching (JHM-645) shore excursions in Maui (Lahaina)
have been cancelled for operational reasons. As a result the tour you booked has been removed from your booking and you will receive a refund to the original form of payment in approximately 10 to 15 business days.
Please visit the Cruise Personalizer at www.princess.com/cruisepersonalizer to reserve an alternate tour. You will be able to do so online up to
six days prior to sailing or once you are on board. We recommend reserving an alternate tour as soon as possible as prices are subject to change until confirmed at the time of booking, and tours are offered on a first-come, first-served basis.
We are sorry for any disappointment this may cause and look forward to welcoming you on board for your cruise.
Thank you for your attention to this notification.

I posted this exact problem this past Sunday which didn't get much traction but see it has happened to other people as well. Our excursion was in Puerto Rico next month. I understand that some people have been notified while others (like ourselves) have not. Best to keep your eyes on your excursions...

• Like 2

Update: So my Maui whale watching excursion had been cancelled but I've been watching available excursions every day to choose a different excursion. Today, the same whale watching (minus the snack) is available for $20 less! So just signed up for it. Hope it doesn't get cancelled. So my advise is keep watching the website.

• Like 2