Wine

Mapomp

I’ve got (a very important) question 😂 I’m in the early stages of planning our first Regent cruise.  The only real question is the wine on board.  Is there a list somewhere of both bottles and by the glass?  Husband drinks almost exclusively Italian wine, so I’d like to be able to show him possible wines.

Cheers!

Thank you!

While not necessarily representative of shorter ocean voyages, Viking's World Cruise offered an extensive selection of wines, which changed through the voyage to include wines representative of the region in which we were located at the time.

Viking WORLD CRUISE 2021/2022
Wine Tastings
1/13/22 – Vertical Sauvignon Blanc Tasting
1/14/22 – Vertical Cabernet Sauvignon Tasting
1/15/22 – Vertical Chardonnay Tastin
1/17/22 – Port Wine Tasting
1/19/22 – New World Wine vs Old World Wine Tasting
1/20/22 – Sparkling Wine Tasting
1/21/22 – Dessert Wine Tasting
1/22/22 – Italy vs France Wine Tasting
1/24/22 – Argentinian Wine Tasting
1/26/22 – Chilean Wine Tasting
1/27/22 – South African Wine Tasting
1/29/22 – Italian Wine Tasting
1/31/22 – Rosé Wine Tasting
2/3/22 – Riesling Wine Tasting
2/5/22 – Central European Wine Tasting
2/6/22 – Sherry Wine Tasting
2/9/22 – Chilean Wine Tasting
2/11/22 – Premium Italian Wine Tasting
2/17/22 – Local Uruguayan Wine Tasting
2/26/22 – Portuguese Wine Tasting
3/5/22 – Spanish Wine Tasting
3/7/22 – Italian Wine Tasting
3/11/22 – Italian Wine Tasting
3/21/22 – Croatian Wine Tasting
3/27/22 – U.S. to Croatia Red Wine Tasting
4/14/22 – French and Italian White Wine Tasting
4/20/22 – Mediterranean Red Wine Tasting
5/2/22 – Old World Wines Tasting 
5/4/22 – Port Wine Tasting
5/5/22 – Open Bar Wine Tasting

Plus, there were several blind wine tastings which took place during the voyage where we were tested as to what we learned by trying to identify particulars such as the grape variety, country of origin, vintage, alcohol content, and vineyard of selected wines.

image.thumb.jpeg.5d5fd60c17263395c388af5255a5b7c0.jpeg

7 hours ago, UWDawg said:

While not necessarily representative of shorter ocean voyages, Viking's World Cruise offered an extensive selection of wines, which changed through the voyage to include wines representative of the region in which we were located at the time.

Viking WORLD CRUISE 2021/2022
Wine Tastings
1/13/22 – Vertical Sauvignon Blanc Tasting
1/14/22 – Vertical Cabernet Sauvignon Tasting
1/15/22 – Vertical Chardonnay Tastin
1/17/22 – Port Wine Tasting
1/19/22 – New World Wine vs Old World Wine Tasting
1/20/22 – Sparkling Wine Tasting
1/21/22 – Dessert Wine Tasting
1/22/22 – Italy vs France Wine Tasting
1/24/22 – Argentinian Wine Tasting
1/26/22 – Chilean Wine Tasting
1/27/22 – South African Wine Tasting
1/29/22 – Italian Wine Tasting
1/31/22 – Rosé Wine Tasting
2/3/22 – Riesling Wine Tasting
2/5/22 – Central European Wine Tasting
2/6/22 – Sherry Wine Tasting
2/9/22 – Chilean Wine Tasting
2/11/22 – Premium Italian Wine Tasting
2/17/22 – Local Uruguayan Wine Tasting
2/26/22 – Portuguese Wine Tasting
3/5/22 – Spanish Wine Tasting
3/7/22 – Italian Wine Tasting
3/11/22 – Italian Wine Tasting
3/21/22 – Croatian Wine Tasting
3/27/22 – U.S. to Croatia Red Wine Tasting
4/14/22 – French and Italian White Wine Tasting
4/20/22 – Mediterranean Red Wine Tasting
5/2/22 – Old World Wines Tasting 
5/4/22 – Port Wine Tasting
5/5/22 – Open Bar Wine Tasting

Plus, there were several blind wine tastings which took place during the voyage where we were tested as to what we learned by trying to identify particulars such as the grape variety, country of origin, vintage, alcohol content, and vineyard of selected wines.

image.thumb.jpeg.5d5fd60c17263395c388af5255a5b7c0.jpeg

That's a lot of wine tastings!  Were they "exclusive" to world cruisers or could others join?  We are going to be on the first leg of the December 2022 world cruise (leaving from Fort Lauderdale) and would enjoy joining if we were welcome.

18 hours ago, Mapomp said:

I’ve got (a very important) question 😂 I’m in the early stages of planning our first Regent cruise.  The only real question is the wine on board.  Is there a list somewhere of both bottles and by the glass?  Husband drinks almost exclusively Italian wine, so I’d like to be able to show him possible wines.

Cheers!

Thank you!

I attach an old wine list from 2018. While some of the wines will have changed at least it provides the number available

708276682_Viking-Ocean-Cruises-Wine-List2018.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, molymoo said:

That's a lot of wine tastings!  Were they "exclusive" to world cruisers or could others join?  We are going to be on the first leg of the December 2022 world cruise (leaving from Fort Lauderdale) and would enjoy joining if we were welcome.

By the time I joined the world cruise in LA, the voyage contained ONLY world cruisers.  The wine tastings were available to all aboard, you just had to sign up through Guest Services.  Note that everyone on the world cruise did have the Silver Spirits Beverage Package (SSBP).  There were some premium wine tastings which did include a charge, but most of the wine tastings were no additional charge... perhaps because they had the SSBP.

I don't know if the leg of the journey from Fort Lauderdale to LA had any wine tastings.  Perhaps someone else can weigh in.  The wine tastings were held on sea days.  On a world cruise there are a lot of sea days and what better way to pass the time?!? 🍷

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, UWDawg said:

By the time I joined the world cruise in LA, the voyage contained ONLY world cruisers.  The wine tastings were available to all aboard, you just had to sign up through Guest Services.  Note that everyone on the world cruise did have the Silver Spirits Beverage Package (SSBP).  There were some premium wine tastings which did include a charge, but most of the wine tastings were no additional charge... perhaps because they had the SSBP.

I don't know if the leg of the journey from Fort Lauderdale to LA had any wine tastings.  Perhaps someone else can weigh in.  The wine tastings were held on sea days.  On a world cruise there are a lot of sea days and what better way to pass the time?!? 🍷

We will watch for them!  It’s just the first leg of the WC but it’s 18 days and there are more sea days than port days.  

20 hours ago, Mapomp said:

Cheers!

Thank you!

We just returned from our first Viking cruise. If you have been on Regent before you will be disappointed with the included wines on Viking.

They were extremely dry and usually from Spain, Chile or South Africa. Don’t expect anything decent, they were very low end. 

Definitely get the SS drink package if wine is important to you (like it is to me!) 

But please note that you can pay by the glass or buy a bottle if you don’t want the included wine and don’t want to spring for the SS package. Numerous threads here discuss this (ad nauseum) issue of SS vs. ala carte. Viking doesn’t deny you anything—and alcohol prices are extremely reasonable.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, WNcruiser said:

Definitely get the SS drink package if wine is important to you

SSBP is great.  We just like to try different cheap wines (let's be honest here, wines included in SSBP aren't that expensive) until we find one that we like more than the others.  🙃

Never heard of someone choosing their cruise line based on what wine was available.  Now I have!  Seriously, you can bring your own wine onboard for free, if it is that important to you.  

We have not always been fans of the wines they provide, but we always find a couple to try out and enjoy.  It makes the task of trying out new wines interesting!  But we always bring some of our own onboard as well.  On our S.American cruise we brought a very good Connemara wine we bought in Chile onboard and had the Restaurant sommelier open it.  He knew it and told us he wished Viking could stock it.  🙂

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 2

Sorry for the slow response Mapomp but I have just started a thread that at least partially answers your request for a recent wine list. You can read it in full by clicking on the image above. Unfortunately I didn't photograph the full list and there were more wine is available by the bottle that are not shown but hopefully this is of some help.