Ovation of the Sea - Australian experience

Can anyone advise if the the three night dining package at $206.26 per adult is reasonable value?

We are on Ovation for an18 night Transpacific next April, so would expect to go to the specialties three times (probably Chops x 2, Jamie's Italian by 1). Wonderland of no interest to us.

We wont be taking the drinks package, but the 40% discount on bottles whilst at the specialty is quite attractive (there will be four of us dining together).

Also in the T&Cs it says:

• For restaurants with a la carte pricing, you’ll receive a $20 food credit, which can only be used once a day.

What are the restaurants on Ovation that are a la carte, and does this mean we get a credit of $20 at each of them in addition to the 3 nights specialty dining? Or have I completely misunderstood (not for the first time).

1 hour ago, Beagle5 said:

Can anyone advise if the the three night dining package at $206.26 per adult is reasonable value?

Against the onboard price it is! Chops on the Ovation Transpacific we got off 2 weeks ago was US$59 i think plus 18% 🤯 The 3 night package was around A$175 if you booked before the cruise online so its gone up some????

The speciality dining is nice dont get me wrong but good value? Sorry but the 3 night package (about $70pp) even with its big discount to the onboard price is pretty poor value and some items on the menu still have a surcharge on top of the surcharge you pay to go to that restaurant😲 

Edited by Hammer61
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hammer61 said:

Against the onboard price it is!

1 hour ago, Hammer61 said:

even with its big discount to the onboard price is pretty poor value

Yeah, that's the dilemma. Its certainly cheaper to book before, but you are still paying a lot for what you get.

Its been a few years since we were on RC, but last time we did 4 nights in the specialties (on a 7 day cruise) and we bought that package on board. But I am sure we didn't pay anything like $70pp per meal.

3 hours ago, Beagle5 said:

We are on Ovation for an18 night Transpacific next April, so would expect to go to the specialties three times (probably Chops x 2, Jamie's Italian by 1). Wonderland of no interest to us.

We wont be taking the drinks package, but the 40% discount on bottles whilst at the specialty is quite attractive (there will be four of us dining together).

• For restaurants with a la carte pricing, you’ll receive a $20 food credit, which can only be used once a day.

What are the restaurants on Ovation that are a la carte, and does this mean we get a credit of $20 at each of them in addition to the 3 nights specialty dining? Or have I completely misunderstood (not for the first time).

The specialty dining is a wank.

Book your self into solarium bistro in the first few new nights before people work out it’s the best deal on the ship.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Book your self into solarium bistro in the first few new nights before people work out it’s the best deal on the ship.

So right Chiliburn. Was our favourite dining spot. Have had nice simple breakfasts there.

Just now, lyndarra said:

So right Chiliburn. Was our favourite dining spot. Have had nice simple breakfasts there.

You know they do take away or take out as the Americans say.

Hit the salad bar and even a lobster and take it back to your cabin.

I have done it many times.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Book your self into solarium bistro

Thats good advice, its very good! Also rather than the Windjammer at lunch try the solarium bistro as well, its not as busy and often has different things available and just seems to be better all round.

Not so keen on the cafe at 270, the salad bar is ok but the sandwiches and wraps etc you can order are a bit hit or miss.

2 minutes ago, Hammer61 said:

Thats good advice, its very good! Also rather than the Windjammer at lunch try the solarium bistro as well, its not as busy and often has different things available and just seems to be better all round.

Not so keen on the cafe at 270, the salad bar is ok but the sandwiches and wraps etc you can order are a bit hit or miss.

First few nights it’s a lovely place until people find out.
There’s a cook that will come out and talk about what you want.

But they do take away !!! You can order, they give you a tray with the plate covers and take it back to your balcony.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Beagle5 said:

As far as I know the food credit for a la carte on Ovation is for Izumi - as menu items are priced separately. This can be used once only. I’m pretty sure the quote you copied has been added for the unlimited dining package which Royal have just changed rules to using credit only once per day. So not sure how that can be relevant to 3 night package. 
As for the price of the package- I think it’s over the top. Pre- Covid I spent $99 for the 3 night package, and just a few months ago I begrudgingly paid about $165 for the package for my December cruise. 
Hoping the price may drop back from $202 in the Black Friday sales - but who knows ….

• Like 2

On Ovation 26th Nov and again 03 March.have been loyal to the "dark side" and have always bought the Drink Package and the 5 night Dining Package, alas not this time, Specialty Dining Prices are way over the top as is many other items on the Planner. Will use drink vouchers to supplement the booze bill. As there are 4 of us we have picked out 3 onshore restaurants to have some fine dining in henceforth helping the local economy of 3 towns.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For all those with cruises booked on Ovation, if you look on the app you will find bar menus with prices.Go to dining, then bars and lounges then select the bar and you will be able to see the menu.

I assume prices include grats as they are the same as the prices when the ships sail from the UK where they are always included.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2022 at 10:15 AM, Chiliburn said:

I showed some Americans on another site and they couldn’t believe it.

The ship tour is almost $300 .

Worth it though.  We wanted to do the ships tour on Ovation as it was the biggest and newest ship to come into Sydney and around NZ.  It was the first time Ovation came into Sydney where we boarded in 2016.  It was expensive but It was great, just a small group, we learnt and saw a lot on the workings of the kitchen, laundry, crew quarters etc.  pretty high security in some places.  Went to the bridge and met the Captain, he spent time with us explaining how everything works on a ship that size and a captains life on a cruise ship.

0F96EA2A-62D0-411E-A96A-D2FED5855967.jpeg

Edited by Fortunatefew

On 11/10/2022 at 3:40 PM, Beagle5 said:

We enjoyed Wonderland just for the experience, amazing menu that we will never see again anywhere in any other restaurant, that was in 2016.  Disappointed in Jamie Oliver’s. 

256008EA-6079-4949-BF1E-E063462E8690.jpeg

Edited by Fortunatefew
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Is the Solarium bistro complementary & do you have to book?

15 hours ago, kernow said:

For all those with cruises booked on Ovation, if you look on the app you will find bar menus with prices.Go to dining, then bars and lounges then select the bar and you will be able to see the menu.

I assume prices include grats as they are the same as the prices when the ships sail from the UK where they are always included.

I have a Feb sailing on Quantum, and can only see bar prices in the places that sell food (i.e wine bar and the pub). 

Beers look to be USD$8.25, cocktails $15. I'm thinking that includes the gratuity as you said, and hoping that drinks package would be for drinks <=$15, even though the planner says it's for drinks <=$13.

If you can't even get a basic cocktail with the package that would be nuts given the price of it. 

1 hour ago, adelaidefc said:

Beers look to be USD$8.25, cocktails $15. I'm thinking that includes the gratuity as you said, and hoping that drinks package would be for drinks <=$15, even though the planner says it's for drinks <=$13.

If you can't even get a basic cocktail with the package that would be nuts given the price of it.

Prices are correct but the gratuity is NOT included if you dont have the package, it will be another 18%! If you buy the package gratuity is included in the price you pay in the planner.

The planner does say $13 but from getting off the ship 2 weeks ago and having the package i can confirm all cocktails up to $15 are included, must just be a typo as i noticed it on my planner so my first question when boaarding was...................????

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Hammer61 said:

Prices are correct but the gratuity is NOT included if you dont have the package, it will be another 18%! If you buy the package gratuity is included in the price you pay in the planner.

The planner does say $13 but from getting off the ship 2 weeks ago and having the package i can confirm all cocktails up to $15 are included, must just be a typo as i noticed it on my planner so my first question when boaarding was...................????

Thanks very, very much for the clarification. That really does lower the threshold for reasonable value from the package if you enjoy a few beverages. 

13 minutes ago, adelaidefc said:

Thanks very, very much for the clarification. That really does lower the threshold for reasonable value from the package if you enjoy a few beverages. 

Keep an eye on the planner for the beverage package price, i monitored it for a month or so and prices change all the time!!!! but with Black Friday coming up that maybe the time to get a better price, still expensive  though.

Just as reference perhaps my Transpacific cruise saw the package inc gratuity as high as $2300 ($121 per day)for the 19 nights but on the memorial day sale back in May it was $1650 ($87 per day) so i grabbed it, still expensive i thought and did worry a little if i would i justify the cost, pretty sure i did 😁 but it wouldn't have been by a lot as although i like a drink or 3 i by no means go full bore at the bar.............but also nice to know everything is paid for or if you didn't like a cocktail (didn't happen 🤪) you could just get another.

Also consider a cocktail at US$15 plus the $2.70 gratuity is about A$27 😬 a beer in AUD is $15 and a glass of wine, or G&T etc about A$18 and upwards so you dont need that much to make it worthwhile especially if you add in the fresh orange juice at breakfast, the speciality coffee and tea included and the bottles of water etc

2 hours ago, joejoe 59 said:

Is the Solarium bistro complementary & do you have to book?

There’s 2 restaurant systems,the main kitchen and the specialty.

Solarium is part of the specialty system and it is mostly complementary,a couple of upcharge like lobster,lamb chops,big steak.

Strangely you have to book , I have turned up and it was empty and they said you can book in 15 minutes .

Edited by Chiliburn

10 minutes ago, Hammer61 said:

Keep an eye on the planner for the beverage package price, i monitored it for a month or so and prices change all the time!!!! but with Black Friday coming up that maybe the time to get a better price, still expensive  though.

Just as reference perhaps my Transpacific cruise saw the package inc gratuity as high as $2300 ($121 per day)for the 19 nights but on the memorial day sale back in May it was $1650 ($87 per day) so i grabbed it, 

Yeah it's currently $122, and that's not far off the lowest I've seen it. I can't imagine it dropping to $87 again, anything around $100 and I'll grab it. Could always cancel and rebook in the unlikely event it dropped again.