Ovation of the Sea - Australian experience

3 hours ago, Hammer61 said:

Keep an eye on the planner for the beverage package price, i monitored it for a month or so and prices change all the time!!!! but with Black Friday coming up that maybe the time to get a better price, still expensive  though.

Just as reference perhaps my Transpacific cruise saw the package inc gratuity as high as $2300 ($121 per day)for the 19 nights but on the memorial day sale back in May it was $1650 ($87 per day) so i grabbed it, still expensive i thought and did worry a little if i would i justify the cost, pretty sure i did 😁 but it wouldn't have been by a lot as although i like a drink or 3 i by no means go full bore at the bar.............but also nice to know everything is paid for or if you didn't like a cocktail (didn't happen 🤪) you could just get another.

Also consider a cocktail at US$15 plus the $2.70 gratuity is about A$27 😬 a beer in AUD is $15 and a glass of wine, or G&T etc about A$18 and upwards so you dont need that much to make it worthwhile especially if you add in the fresh orange juice at breakfast, the speciality coffee and tea included and the bottles of water etc

This is not true.

When cruising from Australia all drink prices are inclusive of service charge/gratuity. What you see is what you get. They change the menus form the USA ones which currently have cocktails at $14 to read $15 as a result. All drinks when cruising in Australia up to $15 are included in the drinks package. This covers all cocktails.

• Like 2

"We are also wondering about the 'free' items, such as iFly and North Star. There are paid experiences on line, but are there free slots, and how hard are they to book? We will be looking forward to the reviews over the next few weeks.

Thanks in advance!

Lynn and Carl"

We did a short cruise to Tassie, so there were a lot of people in a short amount of time who wanted to do the North Star. So we must have queued for at least two hours. Also because it was rough seas the day before all the people that booked that day got to go first and got to push in the queue. So my advice is it depends on the length of the cruise whether it will be an impossibly long wait or not.

Edited by christodan

5 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

There’s 2 restaurant systems,the main kitchen and the specialty.

Solarium is part of the specialty system and it is mostly complementary,a couple of upcharge like lobster,lamb chops,big steak.

Strangely you have to book , I have turned up and it was empty and they said you can book in 15 minutes .

Thanks for that. We cruise Quantum in March.

10 hours ago, bretts173 said:

This is not true.

When cruising from Australia all drink prices are inclusive of service charge/gratuity. What you see is what you get. They change the menus form the USA ones which currently have cocktails at $14 to read $15 as a result

I was on the Transpacific 2 weeks ago, cocktails were US$15, not US$14, they also had 18% gatuity added for anyone who didnt have the package.

The package is sold with the Gatuity included and i stated that! Not sure what i posted that wasnt true????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hammer61 said:

I was on the Trans pacific 2 weeks ago, cocktails were US$15, not US$14, they also had 18% gatuity added for anyone who didnt have the package.

The package is sold with the Gatuity included and i stated that! Not sure what i posted that wasnt true????

I'm disappointed that the cruiseline is adding 18% gratuities to drinks outside the package.  What do they not understand about in Australia that "the price is the total price, with no extra taxes, no added gratuities"?  If they want to charge extra, just add 18% to price, then have the correct total price (which includes gratuities).

1 hour ago, Hammer61 said:

I was on the Transpacific 2 weeks ago, cocktails were US$15, not US$14, they also had 18% gatuity added for anyone who didnt have the package.

That’s what I have always thought.
I have had this discussion many times and from memory the 18% is on top of the bar price.Not included.

On 11/10/2022 at 5:36 PM, Chiliburn said:

The specialty dining is a wank.

Book your self into solarium bistro

Thanks for the tip.

Have been able to lock in some dinner reservations at Solarium Bistro via the planner. 

Pity you can't do the same for Coastal Kitchen. We are in a Junior Suite so apparently get the crumbs after the full suite guests are satisfied.

39 minutes ago, Beagle5 said:

Thanks for the tip.

Have been able to lock in some dinner reservations at Solarium Bistro via the planner. 

Pity you can't do the same for Coastal Kitchen. We are in a Junior Suite so apparently get the crumbs after the full suite guests are satisfied.

They used to have watermelon marinated in balsamic vinegar in solarium bistro, try it.

You get coastal kitchen in the evening,you will find availability after the second night.Star class usually go to the specialty restaurants after then or get it delivered.

Its a lovely venue but I’m not really into fine dining , small portions spaced out. I’m just not that cultured.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hammer61 said:

I was on the NZ cruise after the Transpacific and my parents were B2B with the Transpacific. They do not get a drinks package and they did not once pay 18%.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

That’s what I have always thought.
I have had this discussion many times and from memory the 18% is on top of the bar price.Not included.

The 18% has not been a thing on royal cruises for years it is against our consumer laws to do otherwise. Just like when you go to USA all prices are advertised before GST but here must include it. Screenshot below.

Screenshot_2022-11-12-11-43-07-06_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, bretts173 said:

I was on the NZ cruise after the Transpacific and my parents were B2B with the Transpacific. They do not get a drinks package and they did not once pay 18%

34 minutes ago, bretts173 said:

The 18% has not been a thing on royal cruises for years

Well all the menus stated that an 18% gratuity would be added to the drink price! I had a package and it included the gratuity so it didn’t affect me

Maybe they had not changed the menus over as it was sailing from Hawaii? But also doesn’t make sense that the package has a gratuity and buying off the menu does not? Cocktails were US$15, so if the gratuity was inclusive it would mean cocktails were around US$12.50?

Gratuity was included in the fare as well and agree its part of consumer law in Australia, but im sure the last RCI cruise I was on and well before COVID struck my bill for drinks had 18% added as I didn’t have the package.

But if you have just got off and ddint pay it and your Parents also on the previous cruise and didnt get the 18% added either then it must be correct? 

Edited by Hammer61
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bretts173 said:

The 18% has not been a thing on royal cruises for years it is against our consumer laws to do otherwise. Just like when you go to USA all prices are advertised before GST but here must include it. Screenshot below.

Screenshot_2022-11-12-11-43-07-06_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

I was about to go in search of my screenshot as I knew I had read the 18%  was already added. I always save this kind of info to my travel info album 🙂

6 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

You get coastal kitchen in the evening,you will find availability after the second night.Star class usually go to the specialty restaurants after then or get it delivered.

Its a lovely venue but I’m not really into fine dining , small portions spaced out. I’m just not that cultured.

Don't self yourself short mate, you have enough culture to move in the circles that matter 🙂 

I'm not so much into fine dining either as I don't consider two tiny baby spuds, 2 or 3 pieces of julienne carrots & an asparagus spear as suitable accompaniment to a steak, or a nice piece of grilled fish or chicken.

Had a real nice 1/2 rack of pork ribs with slaw and chips (not fries) last night at Penrith Lone Star right by the mighty Nepean River - would have been even better if it was on a cruise 🙂 

38 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Don't self yourself short mate, you have enough culture to move in the circles that matter 🙂 

I'm not so much into fine dining either as I don't consider two tiny baby spuds, 2 or 3 pieces of julienne carrots & an asparagus spear as suitable accompaniment to a steak, or a nice piece of grilled fish or chicken.

Had a real nice 1/2 rack of pork ribs with slaw and chips (not fries) last night at Penrith Lone Star right by the mighty Nepean River - would have been even better if it was on a cruise 🙂 

There supposed to be a fairly good American BBQ just near batt street, have you tried it?

I’m from western Sydney, I know my place in the world .

Edited by Chiliburn

On 11/9/2022 at 9:44 AM, MMDown Under said:

Hard to believe that someone would have the audacity to request a table you were already using. 

Agreed and also hard to believe that the staff were prepared to toss someone else off the table. They should have told her firmly and politely that she would have to sit somewhere else that night, but maybe promise her the table the next night (if she got there in time).

1 minute ago, kaseyoz said:

It is not only drinks they are gouging us on.

can this be true.

0D41E8DA-E406-4E22-A2C8-6A578069F999.jpeg

Really that a ridiculous price.   I hope very few people book it.

I am sure that online there are better more affordable excursions.

Eileen

19 minutes ago, kaseyoz said:

can this be true.

The forum needs a 'shock' reaction emoji. That's off the charts ridiculous. I doubt I can mention the site here, but external providers have a near identical tour for about 1/5th of that price. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cruisers47 said:

Really that a ridiculous price.   I hope very few people book it.

I am sure that online there are better more affordable excursions.

Eileen

Only 6 spots left….clearly some cruisers are using up their OBC on this overpriced  tour.  

Edited by aussielozzie18

2 hours ago, kaseyoz said:

can this be true.

My reaction was that it has to be a printing error, surely? It's only 3 hours and in all honestly, how much can you realistically extract from passengers for beer, coffee, brunch and presumably chocolate samples! Cheaper to stroll into Wellington, or take a taxi, and buy your own brunch, beer, coffee and chocolates 🍻 🍫 Coffee in NZ is consistently good and I know Devonport Chocolates are widely acclaimed and accordingly expensive for what you get. Can't comment on craft beer other than to say I took some that had been given to me as part of a work Christmas present, along to my family one Christmas and it received a very lukewarm response. If the above price is in fact correct then I can only quote "a fool and their money are soon parted" 😧

• Haha 3

I just had a look for our cruise & it's the bargain price of $574.64 & would you believe it's only 3 hrs long. 

I had a look on Viator & their Wellington tours are a third of the price & all day. 

We will not be doing any Rcl cruise tours.

Screenshot_20221113-132443_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

The cruise line and the tour operator are ripping off pax. That price is outreagous.

That’s part of the fun being RIPPED Off uncle Les ( if you let it happen)

I think there was a saying, A trap for young players.

Just like those cougars,you need to have your wits about you.

Edited by Chiliburn

23 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

There supposed to be a fairly good American BBQ just near batt street, have you tried it?

I’m from western Sydney, I know my place in the world .

No Chilli, haven’t been to that one - will have to check it out.

Western Sydney is the Centre of excellence of Australia, well at least in sport mate - panthers back to back NRL winners & Aussie captain in cricket, and from RL World Cup Mt Druitt is capital of Samoa 🇼🇸 as they make the final 😁🍻

• Haha 1