Chops and Giovannis on Allure Compared to other Oasis Class Ships

3 minutes ago, JDPCruisers said:

How does Chops and Giovannis compare to other Oasis class this for food and service? Better, same, not as good? Any other experiences would be good to know for us Oasis class newbies (on Allure Feb). 

Thanks in advance for any thoughts. 

You can't really compare them ship to ship.  In 3 to 6 months as crew and chefs change your experience could be completely different on the same ship. 

• Like 4

Not allure specifically but to Ken's pt, last liberty I couldnt get a steak well done enough. The cook on that cruise undercooked steaks imo. I'd order MW and get red inside every time.

I agree depends on current cook or cooking staff. I'm on allure and will probably try some pay restaurants in dec but not sure I can compare.

Wish it had playmakers. 

Thanks for the feedback. We've almost always had consistently very good food and service in Chops on all the RC ships we've been on but can't always say that for Giovannis. Will be interesting to see if the shrimp cocktails have gone from jumbo to large (had that on X Infinity, not a jumbo shrimp cocktail compared to previous experiences). A first world problem that I'm happy to deal with as times are tough all over nowadays!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JDPCruisers said:

Will be interesting to see if the shrimp cocktails have gone from jumbo to large (had that on X Infinity, not a jumbo shrimp cocktail compared to previous experiences)

We were on Allure last month.   The shrimp being smaller at Chops was the 1st thing I noticed.   Giovanni’s was real good.  So good that we changed our 2nd visit to 150 CP to a 2nd dinner at Giovanni’s.   On the 1st day we had a good lunch Giovanni’s too.

Thanks for the recent experience @ozarkkid. Good to hear about Giovannis and I hear their pizza is good, as well, and better than Sorentos (might not be hard though they are better now than in the past from our experience). Any thoughts on the pizza on Allure?

3 hours ago, JDPCruisers said:

How does Chops and Giovannis compare to other Oasis class this for food and service? Better, same, not as good? Any other experiences would be good to know for us Oasis class newbies (on Allure Feb). 

I usually eat in a couple specialty restaurants when sailing. I have not noticed a significant difference between the food and service in these two restaurants on Allure vs. the same restaurants on the other Oasis class ships.

Enjoy Allure.

59 minutes ago, JDPCruisers said:

Thanks for the recent experience @ozarkkid. Good to hear about Giovannis and I hear their pizza is good, as well, and better than Sorentos (might not be hard though they are better now than in the past from our experience). Any thoughts on the pizza on Allure?

We did the UDP last time so I was to full most of the time to eat the pizza.  We are on Allure again in January.   Unless we can get a good deal again on the UDP, we will probably due the 3 dinner plan and I would probably try the pizza.

We cruise with another couple and Chops was always our #1 on the list.  Giovanni’s will be our #1 in January. 

For us, there isn't too much difference between Chops on different ships - or between Giovannis and Jamie's for that matter as they are pretty much the same.

I will say, though, we discovered the warm chocolate cake dessert in Chops when we were last on Mariner and it was amazing - small enough to not feel like overload, crunchy on the outside and gooey on the inside and when you grabbed a little ice cream to go with the warm chocolate from the cake...  Went on Harmony recently and the warm chocolate cake dessert is Chops was nowhere near what it was on Mariner - it was more like a chocolate flan, dense and rubbery.  So, yes, there are definitely some differences - this one was quite disappointing.

For Allure (Oasis class ships), our personal favorite is 150 Central Park now.  The starter bread is the best anywhere and the fried cheesecake is awesome - again, just a couple of small pieces, but just enough to not go into a coma afterward.

We also like Izumis.  Have done Wonderland twice (years apart) and probably won't go back now.

We love Izumis on RC so looking forward to that on Allure. Did not like Raw on 5 on X Apex, in fact did not try Sushi on 5 on X infinity last month due to that and because we could order of off both Blu and MDR in Luminae and all we ordered was very good. 

Having sail on a number of cruises since the restart, as per Ken's post. You cannot compare ship to ship or even the same ship. RC has a fleet wide menu across the fleet but with the staffing shortage, it is really hit and miss. We have been on the same ship six months apart and there was a huge difference in the same restaurant. A lot of the kitchen and wait staff are new with a sprinkle of veteran staff.  The specialty restaurants are really a personal preference vice which one is better. 

• Like 1

On 11/9/2022 at 11:49 AM, Ozark_Kid said:

We were on Allure last month.   The shrimp being smaller at Chops was the 1st thing I noticed.   Giovanni’s was real good.  So good that we changed our 2nd visit to 150 CP to a 2nd dinner at Giovanni’s.   On the 1st day we had a good lunch Giovanni’s too.

You are tempting me.  We have eaten at Giovannis before and it was really good.  We have never been to 150 CP before so we planned to go there instead.  

18 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Why not just do them both!  

Ha!  It has crossed my mind.  I have a 3 night dining plan.  We plan on going to 3 places we have never eaten before:  150 CP, Samba Grill, and Izumu Hibachi. I like the MDR too.  Choices, choices!  Maybe, just maybe!

On 11/9/2022 at 8:53 AM, firefly333 said:

Not allure specifically but to Ken's pt, last liberty I couldnt get a steak well done enough. The cook on that cruise undercooked steaks imo. I'd order MW and get red inside every time.

What kind of Texan are you????  🙃😁

I've been on Liberty 4x and my steak was always cooked the way I ordered it everytime.

Edited by IonImplantTech
  • Like 1

On 11/9/2022 at 9:50 AM, JDPCruisers said:

Great feedback. We can't wait for Allure, especially seeing her in the new Galveston terminal. We're in the Houston area so we're excited to have her right down the road!

You Won't be thrilled by the Windjamer.Just got off Allure last week and the "Wind" was not good at all!

On 11/9/2022 at 9:13 AM, JDPCruisers said:

We were on in May and found them all to be good.  Your mileage may vary however.   

The shrimp are much smaller.  That part was mildly disappointing.   If you drink wine, definitely compare their wine lists as well.  That could drive your decisions in part.  We like 150 CP as well.  Definitely worth trying.   An ultimate dining package is not a bad idea on oasis class.  

opinions vary, but we like lunch at Sabor. It’s Mexican and open to the boardwalk.  A fun spot to have a nice drink and Mexican food.  With the UDP, you can eat there and it is included.  We ate lunch there twice last cruise.   

6 hours ago, slyster said:

Ha!  It has crossed my mind.  I have a 3 night dining plan.  We plan on going to 3 places we have never eaten before:  150 CP, Samba Grill, and Izumu Hibachi. I like the MDR too.  Choices, choices!  Maybe, just maybe!

When do you sail?  We are cruising Allure again in January 22.  I think we will do 3 this time.  Our cruise friends like Chops so we will do Chops and Giovanni’s twice.  We may do the Hibachi.   We have not tried it either. 

15 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

When do you sail?  We are cruising Allure again in January 22.  I think we will do 3 this time.  Our cruise friends like Chops so we will do Chops and Giovanni’s twice.  We may do the Hibachi.   We have not tried it either. 

We sail next August.  We have always enjoyed Chops.  We have eaten there probably 5 or 6 times. I'm looking to trying something new 🙂

• Like 1