What airline to take to Rome

thefer

Hi

I am taking a cruise out of Rome on June 8.  Leaving Phx, AZ on June 5.  This is my 2nd trip to Italy.  Last was before Covid hit.  After cruise, I am staying in Montrogotto Terme for a week, an hr outside of Venice.  Plan is to return to AZ on June 25.  Which airline should I use?  I am thinking of flying into Rome and leaving out of Venice.  There is so many choices and reviews aren't the best.  I flew BA and survived the trip.

Personally, I usually try to use mileage and fly Business from Seattle when going to Europe. If you can’t do that, then I always try to fly an international airlines when flying international. If you plan on flying economy or premium economy, Youtube has a ton of passenger review videos, for pretty much every airline and flight class. I do a lot of research on my own. I am on the Wonder right now (last day 😢), and I just flew Finnish Air, Business to Barcelona. Was very happy with it.

I was in Italy last month and flew there on Air France which I thought was good. Prices weren't outrageous, flight was comfortable and on time. Their customer service isn't the best if you have to call (you'll be on hold for a looooooong time), but other than that I have no complaints. 

They're a Delta Airlines partner, so if you have status on Delta they'll recognize it (early boarding and flight upgrades). 

29 minutes ago, thefer said:

Hi

I am taking a cruise out of Rome on June 8.  Leaving Phx, AZ on June 5.  This is my 2nd trip to Italy.  Last was before Covid hit.  After cruise, I am staying in Montrogotto Terme for a week, an hr outside of Venice.  Plan is to return to AZ on June 25.  Which airline should I use?  I am thinking of flying into Rome and leaving out of Venice.  There is so many choices and reviews aren't the best.  I flew BA and survived the trip.

I'd go on the United site to see what you can get.  Looks like $1,657 for PHX - FCO, VCE - PHX is about the going price.  I'm sure there are less expensive but you may find yourself having to change carriers and sitting in airports for lengthy periods.

2 hours ago, thefer said:

Hi

Unless you have miles to use, or are part of any particular loyalty program, or have a real like or dislike for any particular airlines, I would go with whichever is the cheapest unless cost is of no object to you. 

With certain airline's loyalty programs, you get free checked bags, maybe a free meal, but, for me, we look for the best deal that fits into our schedule.

Cheers

Len

Unless you're in business class, I think the airlines are pretty much the same.  Choose based on price, schedule and connection time.

For my Tuscany trip in May, I'm finding it cheaper to fly TUS - LHR on AA/BA , then separate tickets on a budget European airline to Italy (like Jet2, EasyJet or Ryan).  I even looked at the bus to Gatwick for a connection.  There's no shortcut; you just have to do the research.

23 hours ago, thefer said:

Which airline should I use? 

Be aware that some of the flights offered will be code share flights and although you purchase a ticket for Airline A, you will fly on the aircraft of Airline B and maybe also Airline C.

• Like 1

Out of PHX also look at American.  if you go to matrix.itasoftware.com you'll find lots of flights using various airlines, all just fine.  You'll see flights with Iberia and Finnair but they are actually codeshares with American.  Don't just look for the cheapest price - double-check what it doesn't have (free bags, seat selection) and add those fees into the price.  

• Like 1

You mentioned in your initial post that you flew BA, should I be concerned as I'm flying on BA to Rome next Wed. as they had the best price and schedule.  I too noticed that on some of the other airlines, they were code shared.  I thought about it as I am in UA Mileage Plus, but was told that I would not qualify for free checked bag on code share portion of flight, so that is why picked BA since even though they didn't have free checked bag, they offered a better carry on policy regarding the weight, so trying to get by with carry on only.