passport expiration date a problem with online check in

susiesan

I must say that clicking agree to terms and conditions on your checkin when you have in reality falsified info might not put you in an optimum position with O. I hope this gets sorted out for you. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

@edgee I am tring to understand the WHTI, and can't see a document that says passports are not required for Caribbean travel. What I see seems to apply to re-entry to the US. The online document has this caveat:

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port) are able to enter the United States with a birth certificate and governmentissued photo ID. Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

Can you post I site I could learn more?

As I noted, information on which countries are a "no no" on closed loop cruises do not seem to be listed in a consolidated location, as far as I know. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, susiesan said:

I see nothing in Oceania's terms and conditions that a passport is the only form of ID acceptable for Caribbean cruises. This is what it says: Passport and Visa requirements, and regulations in regards to vaccination certificates and other health requirements vary by destination. There is nothing stating that a passport is the only acceptable ID to be used to board a cruise.

If you look at your Oceania guest Statement  I think you're going to find the following:

"Please ensure passport is valid at least 6 months after the cruise return date. Birth certificates, copies of passports and passport cards are not accepted."

My TA got through to Oceania. They will not budge. Because my passport expires 6 days after the return date O will not waive their policy and allow us to board the ship. Again, there is no regulation that says there must be 6 months left on a passport to enter any of the Caribbean countries or to return to the US.

I am working with an expediting service to rush through the passport renewals within the remaining time frame. They should be doing it in 6-8 business days. This is costing me over $700 for the service plus extra for the expedited renewal fee of $208 each. If the passports make it back on time we will be on the cruise.

This will be my last Oceania cruise, they have lost a long time customer due to their inflexible position on this passport expiration issue. I made an honest mistake that O has the power to make right but they refuse to do so. I know all the haters here will say it's my fault, I should have read the fine print. But how many of you have made a similar mistake with a business you purchase from and that company makes it right to keep a happy customer? 

Edited by susiesan

3 minutes ago, susiesan said:

My TA got through to Oceania. They will not budge.because my passport expires 6 days after the return date O will not waive their policy and allow us to board the ship.

I am working with an expediting service to rush through the passport renewals within the remaining time frame. They should be doing it in 6-8 business days. This is costing me over $700 for the service plus extra for the expedited renewal fee of $208 each. If the passports make it back on time we will be on the cruise.

This will be my last Oceania cruise, they have lost a long time customer due to their inflexible position on this passport expiration issue. I made an honest mistake that O has the power to make right but they refuse to do so. I know all the haters here will say it's my fault, I should have read the fine print. But how many of you have made a similar mistake with a business you purchase from and that company makes it right to keep a happy customer? 

Ugh, I had my fingers crossed that O would say "close enough!" You should be able to get your passport back in time. You may have saved someone else from this situation (be honest, how many readers ran to check the expiration date(s) on their passport(s)?).

8 minutes ago, susiesan said:

I made an honest mistake that O has the power to make right but they refuse to do so. I know all the haters here will say it's my fault, I should have read the fine print. But how many of you have made a similar mistake with a business you purchase from and that company makes it right to keep a happy customer? 

I have the same problem with my bank. If I write a check for more than I have, they will not cash it. They have lots of money and there is no law stopping them from putting some in my account (without my being billed). Should I change my bank?

Yes, you made a mistake. Now it is costing you money. That is life.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, AMHuntFerry said:

Ugh, I had my fingers crossed that O would say "close enough!" You should be able to get your passport back in time. You may have saved someone else from this situation (be honest, how many readers ran to check the expiration date(s) on their passport(s)?).

I know exactly when mine expires because I would have been in the same situation if I had been careless and not renewed it recently. It is all part of travel planning.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NownZen said:

I know exactly when mine expires because I would have been in the same situation if I had been careless and not renewed it recently. It is all part of travel planning.

But it is not knowledge that anyone is born with; it needs to be learned. I remember the first time (loooonnnggg ago) I had to have a passport that expired more than 6 months after my planned return date. I thought it was stupid, but I followed the rules. Now I make sure that our passports are not close to expiration because as the OP has learned, it's expensive and a PITA if you need a renewal in a hurry, plus you're prepared for emergencies that may land you in such a country.

• Like 1

Just now, AMHuntFerry said:

But it is not knowledge that anyone is born with; it needs to be learned. I remember the first time (loooonnnggg ago) I had to have a passport that expired more than 6 months after my planned return date. I thought it was stupid, but I followed the rules. Now I make sure that our passports are not close to expiration because as the OP has learned, it's expensive and a PITA if you need a renewal in a hurry, plus you're prepared for emergencies that may land you in such a country.

That is a valid point. I just booked a cruise in 2025 which ends 6 months and 12 days before my passport expires. Wondering if I need to renew before that cruise as a protection against the unexpected.

2 minutes ago, edgee said:

That is a valid point. I just booked a cruise in 2025 which ends 6 months and 12 days before my passport expires. Wondering if I need to renew before that cruise as a protection against the unexpected.

Not needed, but is ultra-safe. Current renewal price is $130 for anther 10 years. Cheap "insurance", plus you can plan other trips too (remember when popping across the Canadian border was trivial? Sigh).

I don’t think there are haters on here. I can understand you are upset (I would be if it were me and this must be very stressful), but the fact stands that the rules are the rules. 

I hope you get the expedited passport in time. 

• Like 5

There is a process.  You may need travel a few hours - and spend a whole day fixing it, but you should do it. 

I did a quick check and you are in a passport office desert, but you should still do it. It will cost you time and money.

If you traveling with in 14 day, you can make an appointment.  You show up in person and they will send you on your way after MANY hours with your passport.

There are other services that can do the same thing - but cost a lot more.  I personally like to be hands on, and make sure it gets done.

I have had to do this. My significant other became a US citizen.  They travel for work a lot.  As soon as (actually just before) you become a US citizen they take away your green card.   You MUST enter the US on a US passport if you are a US citizen.  My partner had no way to re-enter the USA for an upcoming trip.  So we made an appointment, and had the passport the same day as the appointment. 

Here is the link - https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast/passport-agencies.html

Good luck.

27 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

Sorry, this happened but I don't know if the phrase I underlined is actually correct.   

Sure they do. Any business can make an exception to their policy, but Oceania is choosing not to. I owned a business for 39 years, just recently sold it. I had company policies in place but when good loyal customers asked me to make special accommodations for mistakes they made, I did what I could to make them happy. It's called customer service and it buys a business a loyal customer for life.

I've had bad luck with these expedite services, 2 times in the last 20 years they have lost my documents, passports sent in for visas, causing me to scramble at the last minute and save my vacation.

I'll bet the passport expiration loophole catches more people than you think. If as a very savvy global world traveller it caught me, imagine how many other "clueless" cruisers get snagged.

Interesting, sister line NCL does not require a passport at all, let alone having 6 months on it. Here's their language:

For Cruises Leaving From a U.S. Port to the Caribbean, Bahamas & Florida, Bermuda, Alaska, Mexican Riviera, Canada & New England, Pacific Coastal

You’re required to carry:

A Valid Passport

OR

Proof of Citizenship (see below) AND Government-issued photo ID 

(Baptismal paper, hospital certificates of birth, and Puerto Rico birth certificates issued prior to 7/1/10 are not acceptable.)

• State certified U.S. birth certificate
  • Original certificate of U.S. naturalization
  • Original certificate of U.S. citizenship
  • U.S. Consular report of your birth abroad

NCL eleven advertises no passport cruises they off. So yes O has the power to make it right.

Edited by susiesan

From page 4 of the Oceania invoice for a closed loop Caribbean cruise. Someone may have already posted this. 

Passport, Visa and Health Requirements Oceania Cruises requires all travelers to be in possession of a valid passport in order to sail on any of our published itineraries. Passports must be valid for no less than six (6) months beyond the completion of travel. Birth certificates, passport cards and copies of passports are not accepted. Visa and health requirements, including regulations regarding vaccination certificates and other health accreditation, vary by destination. It is the sole responsibility of each guest to secure and provide appropriate valid travel and health documentation for their chosen itinerary. Airlines may also deny boarding should guest not be in possession of required visa(s) and health documentation. Health requirements, recommended immunizations and other health precautions vary by destination and change

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry this is happening to you but it appears there are a couple of countries in your itinerary that require 6 months of validity on your passport upon entry. Oceania does not have the power to change those requirements.  You mentioned NCL not requiring a passport on a closed loop cruise to the Caribbean but perhaps their itineraries do not cruise to those countries. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ORV said:

From page 4 of the Oceania invoice for a closed loop Caribbean cruise. Someone may have already posted this. 

Passport, Visa and Health Requirements Oceania Cruises requires all travelers to be in possession of a valid passport in order to sail on any of our published itineraries. Passports must be valid for no less than six (6) months beyond the completion of travel. Birth certificates, passport cards and copies of passports are not accepted. Visa and health requirements, including regulations regarding vaccination certificates and other health accreditation, vary by destination. It is the sole responsibility of each guest to secure and provide appropriate valid travel and health documentation for their chosen itinerary. Airlines may also deny boarding should guest not be in possession of required visa(s) and health documentation. Health requirements, recommended immunizations and other health precautions vary by destination and change

@ORV I don't know about your TA, but in addition to the above paragraph taken from the Oceania invoice, ours always includes in her accompanying email the statement: Please make sure your passports are valid at least 6 months beyond your return..."

That includes our upcoming closed loop Caribbean cruise, as well as the other international cruises we have taken, past and present.

Thanks for posting the verbiage from the Oceania invoice.

It doesn't matter what NCL does. Oceania does sail to other Caribbean ports that may not abide by the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative  (i.e their country, their rules).  

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 1985rz1 said:

@ORV I don't know about your TA, but in addition to the above paragraph taken from the Oceania invoice, ours always includes in her accompanying email the statement: Please make sure your passports are valid at least 6 months beyond your return..."

That includes our upcoming closed loop Caribbean cruise, as well as the other international cruise we have taken, past and present.

It doesn't matter what NCL does. Oceania does sail to other Caribbean ports that may not abide by the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative  (i.e their country, their rules).  

You mean like this? You probably have the exact wording😁 I shouldn't say anything as I have trouble listening to that last part, and now it's going to bite me in the rear. 

"Please make sure to review the entire invoice including the cancellation schedule on page two.  Penalties for this sailing begin on xxxx xx, 2023.  Please make sure your passports are valid at least 6 months beyond your return and please make sure to purchase insurance."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ORV said:

You mean like this? You probably have the exact wording😁 I shouldn't say anything as I have trouble listening to that last part, and now it's going to bite me in the rear. 

"Please make sure to review the entire invoice including the cancellation schedule on page two.  Penalties for this sailing begin on xxxx xx, 2023.  Please make sure your passports are valid at least 6 months beyond your return and please make sure to purchase insurance."

Yep...oh, Ouch!

49 minutes ago, ORV said:

I also have that exact paragraph in the email from my TA when I book a cruise. Imagine that.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3